Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Six new players already for Watford. 

There’s always a team or two that over-buys and struggles.

Sounds like they’ll be going the way of Fulham - lots of new players doesn’t always make for a good team….

On 17/06/2021 at 22:00, JustinSFC said:

Proper fucking bantz on the spurs forum.

They've failed:

Mourinho (probably walked most likely)
Poch (again)
Conte
Fonseca

Gattuso pending.

And they reckon they've got a chance for Mancini after the Euro's.

Proper Banter.

Reminds me of us when Lowe opted for Stuart Gray instead of going for Moyes or another at the time. Wanted the cheap 'loyalty ' option lol

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Crikey.  He’s really highly rated isn't he?

His stock was massive last summer, was being talked about as Jadon Sancho's replacement at BVB, also turned down villa as he didn't want to be in a relegation battle.

This year apparently he was pretty dreadful apparently, Werder got relegated, and now is going to the odds on favourite for relegation in the prem. Shows how fast you can drop I guess. They are apparently spending about £9m on him so a good deal anyway imo.

Edited by TWar

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

His stock was massive last summer, was being talked about as Jadon Sancho's replacement at BVB, also turned down villa as he didn't want to be in a relegation battle.

This year apparently he was pretty dreadful apparently, Werder got relegated, and now is going to the odds on favourite for relegation in the prem. Shows how fast you can drop I guess. They are apparently spending about £9m on him so a good deal anyway imo.

Norwich are linked with Billy Gilmour on loan, too.  Shows they are having a go compared to last time.

44 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Absolute bargain that. Wish we had the will to do a deal like that. 

A player that is already proven rather than one of those “one for the future” crap we tend to go for.

Er, that sounds like exactly the kind of deal we'd do. Ten million quid for someone with a bit of middling level European experience - he's just been relegated in Germany.

This is quite similar to Elyounoussi or any number of signings we'd make.

He might ge good, he might be shit. Lets remember he's just been signed by Norwich City.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Crikey.  He’s really highly rated isn't he?

We were previously interested, but unfortunately it seems we opted for the cheap Walcott option as he will have a better influence on the young players 🤦🏽‍♂️. That being said, theres no guarantee this kid will adapt well to the PL, could be another Elyounoussi

31 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

We were previously interested, but unfortunately it seems we opted for the cheap Walcott option as he will have a better influence on the young players 🤦🏽‍♂️. That being said, theres no guarantee this kid will adapt well to the PL, could be another Elyounoussi

You reckon Walcott was the cheap option compared to a 24 year old kid who's just been relegated from the German top division. Okay then.

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You reckon Walcott was the cheap option compared to a 24 year old kid who's just been relegated from the German top division. Okay then.

Huh? Do You not think Walcott on a free transfer and reduced wage is a cheaper deal? 

The most concerning thing is we had a try before you buy with Theo. We tried, he was dreadful and we still Brought. 

Edited by SKD
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Huh? Do You not think Walcott on a free transfer and reduced wage is a cheaper deal? 

The most concerning thing is we had a try before you buy with Theo. We tried, he was dreadful and we still Brought. 

That kid is not going to be pulling down what Theo is, reduced or not. What wages do you think Norwich City are paying?

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

That kid is not going to be pulling down what Theo is, reduced or not. What wages do you think Norwich City are paying?

I’d expect Theo is probably on C. 50k and This lad is probably on 30-40k if I was to guess. 

Plus I’d expect his contract length to be longer than Theo’s. 

Just looked, no idea on reliability, but he was on 40K€ at Bremen. I’d be amazed if he took a pay cut coming into a league of riches. 

Edited by SKD

28 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’d expect Theo is probably on C. 50k and This lad is probably on 30-40k if I was to guess. 

Plus I’d expect his contract length to be longer than Theo’s. 

Just looked, no idea on reliability, but he was on 40K€ at Bremen. I’d be amazed if he took a pay cut coming into a league of riches. 

So you're saying if a player with a fee of less than ten million quid and forty odd grand a week comes up, we look at that, take a deep breath and then say naaah, we need to look for the cheap option instead?

Seriously?

Fair enough if that's what you think. See you on 1st September.

Edited by CB Fry

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So you're saying if a player with a fee of less than ten million quid and forty odd grand a week comes up, we look at that, take a deep breath and then say naaah, we need to look for the cheap option instead?

Seriously?

Fair enough if that's what you think. See you on 1st September.

No I don’t think that. It’s actually typically our type of signing. 

Who knows what our, no doubt limited, budget looks like. It’s completely possible that are putting other positions as a priority we don’t have 10M+ left to spend on an attacking midfielder. It could also be that we’d rather save some money in a position to free up budget elsewhere. 

My point was just that it would almost certainly be a more expensive deal than the Theo one and Theo was a cheap option despite being very average last season. 

Either way, as you say, he could be a flop. Who knows. We all know what we’re getting from Theo though.. very little. 

Edited by SKD

43 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

They're paying close to 10 million up front for him and a four year deal. We picked up Walcott on a free transfer and reduced wages over a two year deal. Its simple mathematics, maybe you need a new abacus

5 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Shit.

Are Norwich going to win the transfer window. Again.

Comments like this make me laugh. This place would be wetting their pants at excitement if we had already signed a couple of players. 

Because we’re skint as fuck, they pass it off as some Kind of stick to beat other clubs with. 

9 minutes ago, SKD said:

Comments like this make me laugh. This place would be wetting their pants at excitement if we had already signed a couple of players. 

Because we’re skint as fuck, they pass it off as some Kind of stick to beat other clubs with. 

True that.

That Rashica fella? Ratshitca more like. Rather have Redmond.

45 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

They're paying close to 10 million up front for him and a four year deal. We picked up Walcott on a free transfer and reduced wages over a two year deal. Its simple mathematics, maybe you need a new abacus

If you think we look at a transfer of a player for a ten million pound fee and 40k a week and think we cannot afford that and we need to look at "cheap options" instead. I do not believe that is the case. Lets see what happens this summer: I reckon we'll buy a player or two for £10m. Let's see.

Secondly, Theo on a higher wage than that for two years with zero potential of selling on or return on investment is  in my opinion, a complete waste of money. It's not, in any way, "the cheap option". It's pissing money away.

Its not about an abacus mate, its a bullshit premise. Theo was not a "cheap option" because we can no longer afford £10m players from relegated German clubs. We, very obviously, can.

Norwich have the Benduia money to use, so let's not get upset by them spending! Good player all the same.

The reality is that we're probably waiting for Gunn to be confirmed before we can announce our left back. And that will probably be it until the end of the window when we scout for a few freebie loans etc. It's still early but bar these early rumours it's all gone flat again, probably once it's been discovered that these clubs want actual money and not magic beans.

This is why selling a big player for big bucks to give us some flexibility could be attractive to the club. Let's see what happens.

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Norwich have the Benduia money to use, so let's not get upset by them spending! Good player all the same.

The reality is that we're probably waiting for Gunn to be confirmed before we can announce our left back. And that will probably be it until the end of the window when we scout for a few freebie loans etc. It's still early but bar these early rumours it's all gone flat again, probably once it's been discovered that these clubs want actual money and not magic beans.

This is why selling a big player for big bucks to give us some flexibility could be attractive to the club. Let's see what happens.

Waiting for the new financial year surely? 1st July is next Thursday, I expect Gunn and Perraud will be announced then.

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Unnecessarily negative. I'm confident we'll sign at least one other player for a decent fee

22 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Any idea why we released Ben White? I believe Van Dijk to be the only player we've sold for £50m, or above, unless I'm missing someone obvious.

Not sure.  Ollie Cook & Alfie Jones were in that seasons scholar intake, so maybe they were just bigger (or better) at that time. 

24 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Any idea why we released Ben White? I believe Van Dijk to be the only player we've sold for £50m, or above, unless I'm missing someone obvious.

Or Dennis Wise? Or Kevin Phillips? Or why Chelsea released Kevin de Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku? Perhaps someone's foresight wasn't quite perfect back in the day....

On 22/06/2021 at 22:14, S-Clarke said:

I don’t have any faith in owner and hierarchy than you do but there will surely be more movement than this. Quite a few are gone/going and it looks like Lemina joining them which will get him off the books fully. Vesty will either go or sign a new deal - former IMHO for c£20m. Ings ditto but higher figure if he leaves. Not sure he will with a lack of substantive recent rumours. More squad players with not much left on their deals will go as well eg Obafemi. The Long extension will cost money for the final year - a bit like the Ramsay extension, not sure if just an appraisal box tick for someone or someone who doesn’t know anything about the industry sanctioning these deals. 

Ideally Redmond needs a fresh start elsewhere but no rumours linking him elsewhere. Wide options not exciting. Adam Armstrong a must sign for £15m or less. Freshen up the CB area with a more experienced partner for Salisu, Jack and Jan as back up. 

Edited by saint1977

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

It does seem to be a bit odd, but obviously he didn't look like he'd make it at the time, same with Mings I guess.

Both probably released for being too small.

Mings said that was the case in an interview.

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Both probably released for being too small.

30 minutes ago, Badger said:

Mings said that was the case in an interview.

Hard to believe that it is the true reason. Saints kept on smaller players from the same cohort.

If they didn't think they'd be big enough for one role, they could find a different role for them. Plus the medical department would have been fully aware they could grow taller after the age of 16 when released.

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, Piran said:

Or Dennis Wise? Or Kevin Phillips? Or why Chelsea released Kevin de Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku? Perhaps someone's foresight wasn't quite perfect back in the day....

Chelsea didn't release those players - they paid big money for both of them, and then sold them before giving them a chance, because Mourinho doesn't trust young players. He did the same with Salah during his second spell there. Not worked out too badly for them overall, but I bet Abramovic is annoyed at Mou pissing away the best part of a quarter billion in transfer fees.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hard to believe that it is the true reason. Saints kept on smaller players from the same cohort.

If they didn't think they'd be big enough for one role, they could find a different role for them. Plus the medical department would have been fully aware they could grow taller after the age of 16 when released.

Go on then, which smaller players were kept? Bearing in mind that central defenders need to be larger than attacking players do

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Go on then, which smaller players were kept? Bearing in mind that central defenders need to be larger than attacking players do

Off the top of my head Simon Gillett, Fish Mills and Jamie White were all bellow 5’10", in the youth system at a similar time and came through to make a professional debut. Mings clearly wasn’t deemed good enough as a young player, hence he ended up at Chippenham Town after he was released. It’s much more comfortable on the ego to claim you were released for something that wasn’t your fault, like height, than to admit you weren’t good enough or worse, weren’t putting in the effort.

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Off the top of my head Simon Gillett, Fish Mills and Jamie White were all bellow 5’10", in the youth system at a similar time and came through to make a professional debut. Mings clearly wasn’t deemed good enough as a young player, hence he ended up at Chippenham Town after he was released. It’s much more comfortable on the ego to claim you were released for something that wasn’t your fault, like height, than to admit you weren’t good enough or worse, weren’t putting in the effort.

All those players play in different positions though where it is easier to impress as a small lad. Mings still doesn't have the ball skills to play anywhere else, so it's easy to see why his size would have meant he couldn't stay with us. It's no good for your development if you're not even able to compete for the youth teams, regardless of potential future growth

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Spurs going for their 12th choice in Nuno is obviously going to work out just fine.

Palace were after Nuno before they switched to Favre, I think?

Now Favre is off, if Palace went back in for Nuno and he blew out Spurs for them - now that would be funny.

Unlikely, but funny. 

• Like 1