Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

40 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Everton fans heads explode as they employ a manager who called them a 'small club' while in charge of their deadly rivals.

Makes our first game a bit special, if we win expect rioting.  It seems only yesterday they were calling us a small club, pinching our manager and boasting about their 'war chest' with which they would rule the football world. Funny old game.

39 minutes ago, igsey said:

Never known a fanbase to be so against a new managerial appointment. Maybe Mourinho at United but he had his fans there too. Hope we help him get off to a losing start.

Just like we were when Harry Redcrapp became manager

40 minutes ago, steve green said:

Everton fans heads explode as they employ a manager who called them a 'small club' while in charge of their deadly rivals.

Makes our first game a bit special, if we win expect rioting.  It seems only yesterday they were calling us a small club, pinching our manager and boasting about their 'war chest' with which they would rule the football world. Funny old game.

"Deadly rivals".  Thats a laugh.  Barely a rivalry to speak of between Liverpool and Everton.  You have countless examples of families up there where one son supports Liverpool and the other supports Everton and they all sit in amongst each other on "derby" days.  Name any other rivalry in the country where this is the case.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

"Deadly rivals".  Thats a laugh.  Barely a rivalry to speak of between Liverpool and Everton.  You have countless examples of families up there where one son supports Liverpool and the other supports Everton and they all sit in amongst each other on "derby" days.  Name any other rivalry in the country where this is the case.

Well being rivals doesn't mean you have to fight y'know. Despite what some think. Glad you had a laugh.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2021 at 00:20, stevy777_x said:

Why take a manager from one of the relegated clubs?

same applies to Eddie Howe

fair question, but work well for us with WGS. Decent mangers can get relegated. Someone has to relegated and circumstances are often beyond the control of a manager - inheriting a shit squad and shit youth system for starters.

22 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Wow, they really are anti him. I knew some were but it it's almost everyone. 

It's funny really as I think he's a good appointment but a mate of a mate who's Everton season ticket holder just seem to be relishing the opportunity to abuse him as much as possible, fickle I'm sure if he does well he'll soon be considered "one of them" , just needs to say Everton are the people's club in his first press conference and he'll be fine. 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's funny really as I think he's a good appointment but a mate of a mate who's Everton season ticket holder just seem to be relishing the opportunity to abuse him as much as possible, fickle I'm sure if he does well he'll soon be considered "one of them" , just needs to say Everton are the people's club in his first press conference and he'll be fine. 

I'm sure he'll win some over after the inevitable 3 points they'll get on the opening day of the season. 

I agree, he's a good, solid manger who has won trophies and plays decent football.

He should troll their fans now, would like to see a comment when they play at Anfield to say he's looking forward to returning to his spiritual home. 

TBH any idea of letting Ralph go as we plunged down the table was quickly brought into focus by the utter rubbish managers available to replace him. For a club outside the top 6 options are very limited, mostly a gamble.

Benitez on 7 mill a year apparently. Saints certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near that.

4 minutes ago, steve green said:

Benitez on 7 mill a year apparently. Saints certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near that.

BBC World Service initially reported it was Rafa Nadal taking over at Everton and perhaps  that is  the reason.😉

31 minutes ago, steve green said:

TBH any idea of letting Ralph go as we plunged down the table was quickly brought into focus by the utter rubbish managers available to replace him. For a club outside the top 6 options are very limited, mostly a gamble.

I’m sure I saw somewhere Ralph is on c.5m a year. For someone tried and tested with the reputation of Rafa (and a bank balance like Everton) 7m isn’t a huge amount. 

11 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’m sure I saw somewhere Ralph is on c.5m a year. For someone tried and tested with the reputation of Rafa (and a bank balance like Everton) 7m isn’t a huge amount. 

I suppose the argument is succeeding in 2005-7 isn't the same as being a decent manager in 2021. A lot of fans think he is washed up since his last couple of jobs were fighting relegation/in the championship with Newcastle and a midtable side in the Chinese league.

I think Everton fans have delusions of grandeur and he is a perfectly serviceable if uninspiring midtable manager and they are a perfectly serviceable if uninspiring midtable club. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I suppose the argument is succeeding in 2005-7 isn't the same as being a decent manager in 2021. A lot of fans think he is washed up since his last couple of jobs were fighting relegation/in the championship with Newcastle and a midtable side in the Chinese league.

I think Everton fans have delusions of grandeur and he is a perfectly serviceable if uninspiring midtable manager and they are a perfectly serviceable if uninspiring midtable club. 

Hmmm interesting argument, I guess time will tell. 

Personally, given the choice, I’d have Rafa over Ralph every day of the week. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Hmmm interesting argument, I guess time will tell. 

Personally, given the choice, I’d have Rafa over Ralph every day of the week. 

I wouldn't, but you could probably guess that.

11 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Nuno, who was let go by Wolves is quite the step down from a Serie A title winning Conte.

Bye bye Harry Kane.

Welcome to Tottenham Jorge Mendes! Fully expect every Portuguese/Spanish player to be linked with Spurs now. Ronaldo on loan à la Bale?

19 minutes ago, igsey said:

Welcome to Tottenham Jorge Mendes! Fully expect every Portuguese/Spanish player to be linked with Spurs now. Ronaldo on loan à la Bale?

Mourinho was a Mendes man already, part of the reason why the got Doherty last summer. Seems like they are already deep into the Mendes machine, judging by their attempts to hire Gatusso and Fonseca who are also Mendes guys.

Just a thought. With Nuno going to Spurs, and the possibility of Kane leaving, what are the chances, assuming he has recovered from his horrific injury that Spurs will go for Raul Jiminez as a replacement. They would have the money and Nuno obviously likes him. It might mean that the possibility of Danny Ings  going to Spurs would disappear. Just a thought....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Leicester doing some great business, fair play to them. A great example of what you can achieve when you get your transfers right. 

they have been for a number of seasons now, while we have gotten almost everything entirely wrong

22 minutes ago, egg said:

Viera confirmed as Palace manager. He's a brave lad, that's a tough gig with the players there losing. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57707859

Agree, very tough start. Don’t know what the place fans are like but I hope he gets a chance. Have a feeling it will go the way of Lampard though. It’s a no win situation really.

1 hour ago, Antrimsaint said:

Agree, very tough start. Don’t know what the place fans are like but I hope he gets a chance. Have a feeling it will go the way of Lampard though. It’s a no win situation really.

Don't knock Frank Lampard, if he hadn't broken Timo Werner , England might not have got to the semi final

• Haha 2

On 30/06/2021 at 16:48, sambosa75 said:

Sheffield United / Wednesday

Notts Forest / County

In fact, pretty much anywhere there are two similarly sized clubs in the same city. It's an entirely different kind of rivalry than what we have with Pompey for example. It's easier to 'other' people who have no family/school connections.

Anyway, it's not just the fans that aren't happy about Benitez's appointment. I have it on very good authority that a number of the players don't like it either. He might well have already lost the dressing room before he's even taken a single training session.