Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

35 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Brentford's recruitment setup has been superb for years. To my mind, they are where they are due to player trading.

Will now be put to a far sterner test though.

But I agree with you. Whenever someone has said we should look at their manager, I've always said we should be looking at their Head of Recruitment and his team instead.

On the subject of which, whatever happened to our proposed Head of Recruitment ? It was talked about and then said he was at another club until the end of the season but no one has come in. I can't even recall if it was the 2019-20 season or season before now , but we're still waiting. No idea who our 'head' is now, is it the ex-Everton & Sunderland character with a fairly mixed track record ?

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Ridiculous price tag though.

Agreed. Never understood what Winks brings to the table. Everytime i watch him play he seems too lightweight in defence and doesn’t have the capability to go forward. Neither a CDM, box to box or CAM

7 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Seems an odd one to me. They have Allan, Doucoure, Delph and Davies. Not sure Winks would improve that position markedly above any of those.

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Ridiculous price tag though.

I don’t disagree, but Spurs tend to sell quite well & it’s Everton who have no morals with cash  :) 

3 hours ago, warwicksaint said:

Agreed. Never understood what Winks brings to the table. Everytime i watch him play he seems too lightweight in defence and doesn’t have the capability to go forward. Neither a CDM, box to box or CAM

Surprised we’re not in for him, sounds perfect for Ralph. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Liverpool’s ability to generate cash from players nowhere near their first team amazes me: 

A lot less than I think was being quoted last year, seen him linked before for like £20-25 million. 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Palace 🔥 

To be fair to Palace they have no choice but to add to the squad, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to field an 11.

I imagine they've saved enormous wages with the likes of Townsend, Sakho, Cahill, Van-Arnoholt all gone. That's probably given them this flexibility in attracting these players.

They seem to be trying to make the right moves though, Olsie in particular is a great addition in light of Eze being out. Be interesting to see what else they do, as they're still a fair bit short.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Palace 🔥 

That would be an amazing move. He looked elite last season. For me, would be the best short term move they can make. Would love to see us sell Vestergaard and go for Anderson but would probably cost a fortune

19 hours ago, TWar said:

That would be an amazing move. He looked elite last season. For me, would be the best short term move they can make. Would love to see us sell Vestergaard and go for Anderson but would probably cost a fortune

I think he would probably cost similar to what we will sell JV for.

The problem is we have little control over when JV leaves yet clearly need to sell him at some point this summer.

In the meantime lots of potential replacement options will have already moved.

Thats the issue with 1.) never signing replacements until after the sales have happened and 2.) having a really weak position with key players getting into the final year of their contract and being unwilling to extend it.

8 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Reportedly €16m (£13.7m) plus add ons, for a proven PL player with three years on his contract.

That's a great deal.

Meanwhile, we can't negotiate a price under £25m for a Championship player with 11 months left on his contract...

Edited by qwertyell

5 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Reportedly €16m (£13.7m) plus add ons, for a proven PL player with three years on his contract.

That's a great deal.

Meanwhile, we can't negotiate a price under £25m for a Championship player with 11 months left on his contract...

Athletic saying:  €22m +€5m add-on’s.

On 23/07/2021 at 14:33, Saint Mikey said:

Seems an odd one to me. They have Allan, Doucoure, Delph and Davies. Not sure Winks would improve that position markedly above any of those.

might mean Davies to us, there have bee rumours we have been looking at him

6 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yeah, we could have afforded to BUY Alderweirald (£13M), but I assume his wages expectation was way above our budget? If we find he is taking the equivalent of a wage we could have afforded, then we have missed a trick.

Never mind. Man U appear to be putting Phil Jones up for sale. Please God, NO!

13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

€17.5m (£14.9m) in the end - plus potential €2.5m (£2.1m) in add ons. Officially confirmed by Lyon, who have to publish their transfer numbers by law, apparently.

Great deal, that. For Palace, I mean.

17 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

€17.5m (£14.9m) in the end - plus potential €2.5m (£2.1m) in add ons. Officially confirmed by Lyon, who have to publish their transfer numbers by law, apparently.

Great deal, that. For Palace, I mean.

Is it belated Wan-Bissaka money? Or has Parrish got shares in Pfizer?

11 hours ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Man City nab one of our top prospects: 

At least I assume he was a top prospect if Man City want him.  A big blow for our Academy that.

I still find it bizarre that young kids want to join the likes of Man City’s academy. What pathway to the first team is there, when they can just lay down £50m on a player to come straight in.

I think the tide is turning a little in the 17-19 year old bracket (as being shown at Chelsea), but still happens far too regularly (across all teams of our size). Maybe I’m just naive.