Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

6 hours ago, washsaint said:

I think you're wrong on this one.  he was dog s***e last season (and for much of the previous season.  1 game against a 2nd string Man City.

Just to clarify although I think he was a great player for us the last year he wasn't at his best, but I'm not convinced Perraud is going to be any better. 

7 hours ago, washsaint said:

I think you're wrong on this one.  he was dog s***e last season (and for much of the previous season.  1 game against a 2nd string Man City.

Yeah it's early days but i liked that against levante we carried a threat down both sides, rather than the lopsided approach last season.

16 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is why I've never been totally sure why so many bullets have been sent Ashley's way at Newcastle ''He doesn't spend''  ''He just wants bargain basement''. I get that they are desperate for a change and they don't like the way he runs it, but it's not fair to say he doesn't back them.

If they get this guy for 25m, that'll add onto the £42m they spent on Joeleton. The £25m on Wilson, 25m on Almiron etc.

They spend money, big money at that. They don't really get huge fees for players either.

The geordies must be quite excited with all the activity and in no way angry with Ashley

3271939C-B59B-472A-9C7E-80E8C048B37C.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

If the Lukaku deal with Chelsea goes through, it is rumoured that Inter will be looking to sign Martial from Man Utd. Swopping one inactive lump for another. 

Are you for real??? Lukaku is in the top 5 best forwards in the world, he is a magnificent player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

If the Lukaku deal with Chelsea goes through, it is rumoured that Inter will be looking to sign Martial from Man Utd. Swopping one inactive lump for another. 

Lukaku is absolute class. Underrated as he was massively misused at United but was insane for basically everyone else he's played for and still put up good numbers at united regardless.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Surprised no other clubs have been interested in Willock. 

I'm not, obscene money for an average player that hit a purple patch in a team that couldn't score for toffee. He will find himself in the Championship in a few years, either with Newcastle or after being sold for peanuts.

(My crystal ball also shows JWP crossing it to Danny Ings to score the winner in the World Cup final if you were interested!).

Apparently, according to the BBC, Jack Grealish "teared up" as he said goodbye to his boyhood club, Aston Villa. This is quite a coincidence, because when I found out that Man City had paid £100m for a bloke that keeps falling over, I found that quite eye watering too. Amen.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Seems relatively cheap though - makes the price we've got for Ings even better imo.

Yeh you do kind of feel that Villa only had to step up £5 million more for a guy much younger with less injury problems who is probably as good and may become even better.

Just thinking that Messi had all these tears at leaving Barcelona and he really didn't want to go, his family were settled etc. etc.

Then why didn't he just play for free for a bit? 

Wasn't there a guy who played for Atletico back in the day who loved the club and they were going through financial issues so he just agreed to play for 1 Euro for a while.

Just play for free or very little for a year or so if you love the club so much and let them sort the mess out. Not like he's a 25 year old with his first big contract, he must have more money than he knows what to do with and huge endorsement deals. 

19 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Just thinking that Messi had all these tears at leaving Barcelona and he really didn't want to go, his family were settled etc. etc.

Wasn't there a guy who played for Atletico back in the day who loved the club and they were going through financial issues so he just agreed to play for 1 Euro for a while.

Just play for free or very little for a year or so if you love the club so much and let them sort the mess out. Not like he's a 25 year old with his first big contract, he must have more money than he knows what to do with and huge endorsement deals. 

Barca are still over their La Liga wage cap, so can’t register any of their 4 new signings yet. Even if Messi wanted to play for nothing, they still couldn’t register him. What an absolute mess!

37 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I said that the other day but apparently it is illegal to have a contract that is less than 50% of the previous one in Spain

• Like 1

Thought the whole Messi /Barca/Real/LaLiga thing demonstrated what is wrong with modern football . Messi blubbing one day then cock a hoop the next in Paris with over £500k a week deal over 2 years net , Barca wage bill 110% of income without Messi , Real taking legal action over new LaLiga finance deal as they lose 10% of TV rights .

Barcelona have been like Leeds with Risdale. What planet they on slinking over £300mill on Coutinho, Griezman and Dembele.

Don’t need a Harvard MBA to not seeing the figures stack up.

How PSG get away with it too is beyond me. Well FFP obviously Qatar can spend that ten times over.

Edited by whelk

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Thought the whole Messi /Barca/Real/LaLiga thing demonstrated what is wrong with modern football . Messi blubbing one day then cock a hoop the next in Paris with over £500k a week deal over 2 years net , Barca wage bill 110% of income without Messi , Real taking legal action over new LaLiga finance deal as they lose 10% of TV rights .

Watching this play out you can see why Real and Barca were desperate for the European super league to happen 

Well at least that is where you can give some credit in the PL, the TV money is distributed evenly, Real and Madrid take a way bigger share and hence why they don't want any of it going somewhere else.

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Barcelona have been like Leeds with Risdale. What planet they on slinking over £300mill on Coutinho, Griezman and Dembele.

How PSG get away with it too is beyond me. Well FFP obviously Qatar can spend that ten times over.

The wages is the biggest issue, Greizeman is on like £600k a week, literally no one in the PL comes near that and there are IMO many players in the PL better than him. They also gave him like a 5 year contract at the age of 28. 

And they swapped the 24 year old Arthur, who was playing well for the 31 year old Pranjic who they then gave a £270k a week deal. The same amount Busquets is paid. Another 4 year contract as well. 

The fans are literally now booing these players because they basically blame them for Messi going, but you can't blame them for not wanting to go, who is going to give them contracts like that.  I mean Greizman will earn like another £90 million until the end of his contract 

As for FFP its basically gone, UEFA have completely relaxed the rules because of Covid and said club's owners can make up the shortfall, which means for clubs like PSG and Man City they can at the moment basically put as much in as they like. 

• Like 1

Messi blubbing one day then cock a hoop the next in Paris with over £500k a week deal over 2 years net

TBF if I was 34 and leaving a place where I'd lived and worked my entire life, being adored like some sort of god for over a decade in the process, was forced to leave and was then offered £2m a month... I'd probably react in exactly the same way.

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Poch must be under some serious pressure, the next best odds on another team winning the league are Monaco at 20-1.  He has to basically win the treble as a minimum. 

I think he just has to win the CL.  That is the holy grail for these clubs

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Poch must be under some serious pressure, the next best odds on another team winning the league are Monaco at 20-1.  He has to basically win the treble as a minimum. 

No league Cup in France now, so let him off that one. There could be some bargains at psg this Summer as the get rid of the players they can't register. Amazon France must be laughing all the way to the bank, as they have 100% rights to league  1 over here and interest will go through the roof.

4 hours ago, waylander said:

The price quoted for Tomiyasu would be too high for us.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

What is it? I feel we could easily stretch to £20m for the right player.

The figure mostly bandied about including the article SuperSaint posted is around £17m.

How that is constructed though is unknown as the press and clubs only report the headline figure. Imagine Bologna will want the bulk up front, whereas we would prefer it structured like an old fashioned catalogue book purchase (for those old enough to remember their mum's having one) of minimum up front and the rest over 38 instalments. 

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’d be surprised if that was us.  Apparently he was too expensive for Leicester. 

agreed. West Ham have been heavily linked. 

Edit; just seen that he's left sided player, so my previous comment is null and void.

Edited by Chez

On 13/08/2021 at 21:55, Badger said:

...whereas we would prefer it structured like an old fashioned catalogue book purchase (for those old enough to remember their mum's having one) of minimum up front and the rest over 38 instalments. 

Saints are wary of older payment methods after they got stung from the Britannia Player Club, forgetting to tick the "no thanks" box at the front of the catalogue, and ending up paying full price for Carlillo.

Must be quite surreal being a Barcelona fan at the moment. They've lost their superstar and are looking to replace him with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. What a front two that will be alongside Martin Braithwaite.

They even missed out on Tammy Abraham as he choose Roma instead. They're clearly forced to shop in that next tier down nowadays, whilst PSG and Man City catapult themselves to levels they may struggle to ever each.

I think football is better with a strong Barcelona team, bit of romance about it. I remember the days of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Pique, Villa, Pedro etc. Unreal sides. The sides with Rivaldo, Puyol, Ronaldinho, Eto weren't bad either.  They've got where they are through horrific mismanagement though - £120m on Dembele - flop. £120m on Coutinho - Flop. Even clubs like Barca cannot afford disasters in the market like that. They're paying the price now. 

I guess they'll always be attractive to players, but a competitive Barca team seems light years away now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Must be quite surreal being a Barcelona fan at the moment. They've lost their superstar and are looking to replace him with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. What a front two that will be alongside Martin Braithwaite.

They even missed out on Tammy Abraham as he choose Roma instead. They're clearly forced to shop in that next tier down nowadays, whilst PSG and Man City catapult themselves to levels they may struggle to ever each.

I think football is better with a strong Barcelona team, bit of romance about it. I remember the days of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Pique, Villa, Pedro etc. Unreal sides. The sides with Rivaldo, Puyol, Ronaldinho, Eto weren't bad either.  They've got where they are through horrific mismanagement though - £120m on Dembele - flop. £120m on Coutinho - Flop. Even clubs like Barca cannot afford disasters in the market like that. They're paying the price now. 

I guess they'll always be attractive to players, but a competitive Barca team seems light years away now.

1.1 billion in debt and their academy has stopped churning out so many players, read some reports a while back that there are conflicts in the academy about players being prioritised for physicality now rather than ability, which goes against their previous successes. 

Also they are so screwed they are likely to lose one of their best young talents in Ilaix Moriba, who only has a year left on his deal and hasn't accepted a new one. 

But yeh won a Champions league squad with like 8 academy graduates in the team iirc, very sad all round imo, personally feels rather soulless to see Messi not finish his career there and got to moneybags PSG. 

Edited by tajjuk

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

1.1 billion in debt and their academy has stopped churning out so many players, read some reports a while back that there are conflicts in the academy about players being prioritised for physicality now rather than ability, which goes against their previous successes. 

Also they are so screwed they are likely to lose one of their best young talents in Ilaix Moriba, who only has a year left on his deal and hasn't accepted a new one. 

But yeh won a Champions league squad with like 8 academy graduates in the team iirc, very sad all round imo, personally feels rather soulless to see Messi not finish his career there and got to moneybags PSG. 

To be honest I think it's good for the Spanish League if some other teams can compete. And I'm sure Barca will be back in the future

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 17:55, whelk said:

Apparently PSG are paying Messi in crypto currency,  pays less tax in France and not covered by FFP