Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have made some very astute signings in more recent years and will finish comfortably above us once again, I should imagine.

Yeah they have made a couple of good ones (Coufal, Soucek) but I still think they have a "throw money at the wall and see what sticks" strategy. For example, last season they had five attacking midfielders in their team they had spent big money (£15m+) on in Lanzini, Yarmalenko, Bowen, Benrahma, Anderson (although loaned out in october) and still had to loan in Lingard in January. Similarly they had a £45m striker just sat on their bench (Haller) for most of it. They have some quite high profile flops, it just doesn't seem to matter as they seem to get a new attacking player for £20m+ every window.

As I said though, yeah they will finish above us, they have spent over £110m more than us over the last three years and spend almost £15m a year more than us on wages. That isn't a mark of them making cleverer transfers than us, they are just rich.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah they have made a couple of good ones (Coufal, Soucek) but I still think they have a "throw money at the wall and see what sticks" strategy. For example, last season they had five attacking midfielders in their team they had spent big money (£15m+) on in Lanzini, Yarmalenko, Bowen, Benrahma, Anderson (although loaned out in october) and still had to loan in Lingard in January. Similarly they had a £45m striker just sat on their bench (Haller) for most of it. They have some quite high profile flops, it just doesn't seem to matter as they seem to get a new attacking player for £20m+ every window.

As I said though, yeah they will finish above us, they have spent over £110m more than us over the last three years and spend almost £15m a year more than us on wages. That isn't a mark of them making cleverer transfers than us, they are just rich.

Probably another club we can start stealing youngsters from, their squad is always going to be clogged up with signings. 

28 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Have Real Madrid robbed a bank? Aren't they massively in debt and still have big earners like Bale on the books.

Also 160 million for a guy with 1 year left on his contract is bonkers. 

20 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Probably another club we can start stealing youngsters from, their squad is always going to be clogged up with signings. 

Have Real Madrid robbed a bank? Aren't they massively in debt and still have big earners like Bale on the books.

Also 160 million for a guy with 1 year left on his contract is bonkers. 

They have sold a number of high wage earners while bringing in £80m in transfers. Barcelona are in a bigger crisis. 

28 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

They were after that winger from France weren't they? Would have cost them £12m, but they wanted to pay it over 5 instalments or something. If they've got Lennon, I wonder if that ends that?

At least we don't have to be worried about Burnley, they're in the same boat as us financially. 

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They were after that winger from France weren't they? Would have cost them £12m, but they wanted to pay it over 5 instalments or something. If they've got Lennon, I wonder if that ends that?

At least we don't have to be worried about Burnley, they're in the same boat as us financially. 

Think they want 2 wingers.  

As you say, they’ve been after Cornet all summer. 

Intereting Harry Kane developments, Levy obviously putting his foot down and City don't want to pay the fee.

Can't help but think that Kane did a half arsed effort to force an exit though, he has always been one foot in one foot out really. You can't play half arsed with Levy, you've got to become a proper shit house to get out.

Got to feel that Kane has wasted his career though, he could have won tons of silverware if he'd have been anywhere else. I think this was the summer he had to make the move.

Edited by S-Clarke

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Intereting Harry Kane developments, Levy obviously putting his foot down and City don't want to pay the fee.

Can't help but think that Kane did a half arsed effort to force an exit though, he has always been one foot in one foot out really. You can't play half arsed with Levy, you've got to become a proper shit house to get out.

Got to feel that Kane has wasted his career though, he could have won tons of silverware if he'd have been anywhere else. I think this was the summer he had to make the move.

Agreed.  Kane's 6 year contract was really dumb idea on his part.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

the FA will probably through serious wedge at him to be England manager once he leaves..

Think he'd be up for it...

“Next step will be a national team, if there is a possibility. A national team is the next step,” he said, as reported by ESPN on Wednesday. (The Independent)

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

Amazing what one half decent season at a top club can do. Thought his Chelsea career was dead after a fairly poor loan spell at Stoke, now he’s worth £30mil!

He had a very good loan at Everton, after Stoke, and has played 150 odd times for Chelsea.  He's proven and only 26.

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.878209a11701703f171605d4a5554228.jpeg 

Everton are in a bit of a situation by the sounds of it.  Even compared to us they've spent badly/inefficiently over the last few years and it sounds like are going to have to scrimp a bit to make up for it.  Do they even have any crown jewels?

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

.....when his contract expires in '23 so just the two entire seasons to go.

I wonder if City's form will nosedive like Utd's did when Fergie announced he was leaving. They could end up with Pep leaving well earlier than planned.

I also wonder if Pep is suited to international football when he won't be able to hammer home his system day to day with the players

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Everton are in a bit of a situation by the sounds of it.  Even compared to us they've spent badly/inefficiently over the last few years and it sounds like are going to have to scrimp a bit to make up for it.  Do they even have any crown jewels?

Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison (linked with PSG if Mbappe goes), possibly Digne? Not much else though, they have spent horrifically.

4 minutes ago, igsey said:

Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison (linked with PSG if Mbappe goes), possibly Digne? Not much else though, they have spent horrifically.

Ah yeah, fair.  They went through a spell of buying loads of number 10s for big money and now they have no money and the number 10s have either lost all ability, left the club for nothing or [allegation deleted].

35 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Yep they have spent horrifically and for that sort of outlay they really should be doing better i.e. in around top 7 I'd say at least or competing for a European spot.

They have a competent PL team though so I don't think they'll ever have the relegation fears that clubs like us, Burnley etc might have 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Fair play to WHam.  He's a very good player, maybe not Champions League good but will strengthen them.

Not sure how motivated he'd be to play for West Ham, he was so highly rated yet hasn't really fulfilled his potential to date.  Think he may turn out to be a bit of a waste of money personally

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Palace made decent earlier business, like Guehi and Anderson, but don't rate this at all. They look poor so far and Will Hughes is far from the person to change that.

I think delaying their managers appointment so long was their biggest problem.

4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I wonder if City's form will nosedive like Utd's did when Fergie announced he was leaving. They could end up with Pep leaving well earlier than planned.

I also wonder if Pep is suited to international football when he won't be able to hammer home his system day to day with the players

Plus no striker , I don’t think Ronaldo would be an answer , now Mendy adding to the mess.

11 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

both the athletic and fabrizio romano reporting ronaldo to united is in advanced talks now

Im kicking myself as i heard them tlking on the radio saying to bet on him going to City was 1-3, I was thinking that he wouldnt and could have perhaps got good odds he wasnt signing for them