Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Dunno what happened with that lad, but he was brilliant once. A proper Premier league player. Massive fall from grace. 

Certainly was on the "why o why o why o why didn't we sign him" list for a couple of years on here.

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

Can anyone understand why Real Madrid bid €189m for a player with 10 months left on contract? And why PSG turn it down? What have i missed?

As Leonardo said last week, they know full well PSG will reject it but they can convince Mpabbe they were willing to throw loads of money at it to get him when he has the pick of clubs in 6 months time.

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

I see our old linked player Weston McKennie is being touted out of Juve.

Burnley mentioned as possible what a come down

Nothing happening with that one. I think it was a random twitter rumour that just spiralled. 

Barcelona about to lose their next star - Antoine Griezmann back off to Atletico Madrid. Barca are bringing in Luuk De Jong as a replacement.

Their front line is going to be Braithwaite and De Jong. Unbelievable what's happened there really.

17 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely bugger all happening today...!

Interested to see what happens to the below this season...can't see them getting many first team league apps this season.

Hudson-Odoi
Loftus-Cheek
Lewis Baker
Barkley
Phil Jones
Lingard
Andreas Perieira
Juan Mata
Van De Beek
Kolasinac
Riess Nelson
Balogun
Maitland Niles
Nketiah
Elneny

Van De Beek is such a waste, apparently he wanted to go and a loan to Everton was being lined up but Man Utd wouldn't let him go. They are so stupidly rich it seems they can let very good players basically rot away their careers. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Van De Beek is such a waste, apparently he wanted to go and a loan to Everton was being lined up but Man Utd wouldn't let him go. They are so stupidly rich it seems they can let very good players basically rot away their careers. 

There was supposedly a load of clubs in for him from abroad and they wouldn't let him leave. Surprised quite a few of those didnt end up on loan.  What a fall from grace for Barkley especially.

Wonder which teams everyone judges to have had a better summer than us. Discount the top 4 as it is somewhat comparing apples and oranges. I'd say

1. Spurs
  2. Leicester
  3. Arsenal
  4. Palace
  5. Us
  6. Leeds
  7. Everton
  8. West Ham
  9. Brentford
  10. Wolves
  11. Newcastle
  12. Watford
  13. Burnley
  14. Brighton
  15. Norwich
  16. Villa

This is in terms of strengthening and weakening relative to absolute strength.

• I think Villa and Norwich are the only teams who's squads have gotten actively weaker, because Grealish and Buendia were so important to each of them respectively.
  • Newcastle, Watford, Burnley and Brighton have all made some signings but had massive gaps they didn't fill.
  • Wolves, Brentford, and West Ham have all made modest signings but with a couple of gems each,
  • Leeds, us, palace, and Arsenal have all signed a fair few players to strengthen our squads in general and will have a much stronger squad if only slightly stronger starting 11.
  • Leicester and spurs both had excellent windows and have dramatically improved their starting 11's and depth alike

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Feel arsenal’s Window has been terrible. Overpaid on players & despite huge spend don’t seem any stronger.

I think the Ben White backlash is way overblown. He is a terrific CB, there is a reason Leeds were trying to get him for £35m before he'd even played a minute of prem football. Odegaard is quality too. Finally Tomiyasu is probably going to be a huge huge upgrade over Cedric and Chambers rotating. Ramsdale is a poor signing imo but they can't all be winners.

Not sure why you have Villa down there and Arsenal up there, swap those around!

I think Arsenal have done a 'pick and mix' transfer window. Doesn't seem to be any sense or joined up thinking in their additions. And for all of that they've spent £160m and their quality is no better whatsoever. They spent £30m on Ramsdale who is no matter, maybe even a tad worse than Leno. It's bonkers. So I think they've had a terrible window which may haunt them for a good few years to come.

Brighton have had a poor one - they didn't get that striker they needed. They're still in the same boat as they were last year really, relying on Maupay staying fit and even he is erratic. They'll hit the same troubles.

Everton - terrible window. They've not managed to get rid of James, who is someone that clearly wants out and has said as much. Lost all the support. Not great to have him stinking out the place. Freebies, Gray is decent, but the rest not at all. They've done similar to us and loaned out their full back on deadline day and didn't replace, so they've only got 3 full backs I think and no cover at LB. I think Benitez will make them hard to beat, but once injuries hit you'll see the results take a massive slump. Let's not forget they also lost 'him who shall not be named' - and he was guaranteed a few goals a year.

Newcastle - Had it not been for them getting Willock it would have been really bad, but at least they've add him. They lack quality at CB or full back though, their success will be purely down to keeping Wilson and ASM fit. Otherwise they have no chance.

Wolves - seems like they've hit the similar Chinese closed door as we have. No investment coming their way anymore. They've kept Traore and Neves but haven't really got much cover beyond that 11.

Best windows:

Leicester - again, doing the right things. Make the sensible signings. Daka will be quality and will eventually replace Vardy, good forward planning that one. Somaore was brilliant last year, one of the best CM in France - so they've improved their depth there. CB is stronger with Vestergaard, although he probably won't play every week having someone like him for depth is great.

West Ham - Started late, but they've done some interesting business. Not sure yet on Vlasic, this is the guy who failed at Everton - but he may well have matured since then. Krul is a good CM and it's only a loan, gives them more depth in that area. Zouma will inject quality straight away into their back 4. Only area they haven't really addressed is striker, they're relying on Antonio staying fit.

Jury's out:

Palace - so many changes, impossible to judge yet. They've brought in some decent players and spent some money, so it'll be interesting to see what Viera can do. I think they'll take a few months to settle down though and they may need patience. 

Us - Similar to palace, lots of substantial changes and a change away from where we are as a squad (age wise). It's hard to judge yet, especially as we haven't seen Lyanco in action - the success of that could potentially make or break it. Lots of exciting young signings but I fear we may get lots of inconsistency whilst they bed in. If we can keep our head above water this year then I can only see good things in the future. Just need to make sure we survive by whatever means.

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why you have Villa down there and Arsenal up there, swap those around!

I think Arsenal have done a 'pick and mix' transfer window. Doesn't seem to be any sense or joined up thinking in their additions. And for all of that they've spent £160m and their quality is no better whatsoever. They spent £30m on Ramsdale who is no matter, maybe even a tad worse than Leno. It's bonkers. So I think they've had a terrible window which may haunt them for a good few years to come.

Brighton have had a poor one - they didn't get that striker they needed. They're still in the same boat as they were last year really, relying on Maupay staying fit and even he is erratic. They'll hit the same troubles.

Everton - terrible window. They've not managed to get rid of James, who is someone that clearly wants out and has said as much. Lost all the support. Not great to have him stinking out the place. Freebies, Gray is decent, but the rest not at all. They've done similar to us and loaned out their full back on deadline day and didn't replace, so they've only got 3 full backs I think and no cover at LB. I think Benitez will make them hard to beat, but once injuries hit you'll see the results take a massive slump. Let's not forget they also lost 'him who shall not be named' - and he was guaranteed a few goals a year.

Newcastle - Had it not been for them getting Willock it would have been really bad, but at least they've add him. They lack quality at CB or full back though, their success will be purely down to keeping Wilson and ASM fit. Otherwise they have no chance.

Wolves - seems like they've hit the similar Chinese closed door as we have. No investment coming their way anymore. They've kept Traore and Neves but haven't really got much cover beyond that 11.

Best windows:

Leicester - again, doing the right things. Make the sensible signings. Daka will be quality and will eventually replace Vardy, good forward planning that one. Somaore was brilliant last year, one of the best CM in France - so they've improved their depth there. CB is stronger with Vestergaard, although he probably won't play every week having someone like him for depth is great.

West Ham - Started late, but they've done some interesting business. Not sure yet on Vlasic, this is the guy who failed at Everton - but he may well have matured since then. Krul is a good CM and it's only a loan, gives them more depth in that area. Zouma will inject quality straight away into their back 4. Only area they haven't really addressed is striker, they're relying on Antonio staying fit.

Jury's out:

Palace - so many changes, impossible to judge yet. They've brought in some decent players and spent some money, so it'll be interesting to see what Viera can do. I think they'll take a few months to settle down though and they may need patience. 

Us - Similar to palace, lots of substantial changes and a change away from where we are as a squad (age wise). It's hard to judge yet, especially as we haven't seen Lyanco in action - the success of that could potentially make or break it. Lots of exciting young signings but I fear we may get lots of inconsistency whilst they bed in. If we can keep our head above water this year then I can only see good things in the future. Just need to make sure we survive by whatever means.

As for Arsenal and Villa. Arsenal didn't lose anyone important and brought in White, Tomiyasu, and Odegaard, three players I properly rate. Therefore their window is a step forward regardless, the size of which is determined by how highly you rate the aforementioned players. Villa on the other hand lost their best player by an absolute mile and didn't replace him adequately at all for me and didn't address major issues in their side like CM and CB. Ings is a good signing if he can stay fit, Buendia is fine, and Bailly is inconsistent. They've just lost one of the best attacking mids in europe and replaced him with that, definite step backwards for me. Ramsdale is a poor buy but it isn't enough to sink three very good ones imo.

Brighton needed a striker and didn't get one, which is obviously a blow. They did improve elsewhere though like a new LWB and attacking mid, both of which I think they needed. Plus they held onto Bissouma. Maybe a bit high though admittedly.

Agree with Newcastle and Wolves.

West Ham I think had an OK window but I think they needed a striker too given Antonio's injury issues and they didn't get one. Zouma is a decent signing, if overpriced, and Vlasic seems ok but I think they really could have done spending their money in different places tbh.

Palace signed five players I really highly rate in Olise, Anderson, Guehi, Edouard and Gallagher. The issue is their manager seems poor, Zaha is disinterested, Eze is injured for most of the season, and they have huge turn over. Therefore while the transfer business is good I still think they may be in a bit of trouble.

Our window has been great for me. I think people will look back at Armstrong, Livramento, and Perraud incredibly positively, and for the price we have probably made the best bargains of the summer by a fair margin (of not "top teams" as teams like United and PSG can land incredible players just by paying big wages and being a big side). Armstrong for almost 1/3 the price of Buendia, Livramento for £5m, just great business imo.

Edited by TWar

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Us - Similar to palace, lots of substantial changes and a change away from where we are as a squad (age wise). It's hard to judge yet, especially as we haven't seen Lyanco in action - the success of that could potentially make or break it. 

This is my view also.  Obviously a bit of a punt on him and I hope they've chosen well, but if he turns out to be shite then we're one injury away from a big defensive problem.

• Like 1

Arsenal have had an appalling window. Ben White wasn't even the best CB at Brighton last season and they spent 50 million on him. Fifty. Million. Then the Ramsdale deal, 30 million for a very average keeper. They'll still finish above us in the league most likely, but they've had a dreadful summer all round. Biggest spenders and they've not improved their team one jiffy.

19 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Arsenal have had an appalling window. Ben White wasn't even the best CB at Brighton last season and they spent 50 million on him. Fifty. Million. Then the Ramsdale deal, 30 million for a very average keeper. They'll still finish above us in the league most likely, but they've had a dreadful summer all round. Biggest spenders and they've not improved their team one jiffy.

Disagree on White, he was likely Brightons most complete CB. Good in the air, good defensively, great passer, good at running with the ball. Probably worse at pure defending than Dunk but he is also 6 years younger than Dunk. If Dunk were 23 he would cost about £50m too. White is being way underrated at the moment in my opinion.

With regards to the last bit, White is significantly better than David Luis, Tomiyasu is significantly better than Cedric, and Odegaard is definitely an improvement to their side.

Edited by TWar

4 hours ago, TWar said:

I think the Ben White backlash is way overblown. He is a terrific CB, there is a reason Leeds were trying to get him for £35m before he'd even played a minute of prem football. Odegaard is quality too. Finally Tomiyasu is probably going to be a huge huge upgrade over Cedric and Chambers rotating. Ramsdale is a poor signing imo but they can't all be winners.

Ben White is a good player granted, but Arsenal had the third best defensive record last season and were one of only 3 teams in the league to concede less than 40 goals. Holding and Mari/Gabriel were absolutely fine for them going forwards, and when you think for the £80million they spend on White and Ramsdale they could of signed Ings and still had £50million left over for somewhere they DO look weak - like right back or CM. Couple that with the decision to sell Martinez and keep Leno and Edu has made some horrific fuck ups since being director of football there. 

Hell, Raphael Varane went for £9million less than White did! 

Suspect West Ham will prove to have had a good window. They were already a solid side, and have added strength throughout their spine at GK, CM and AM. They're a striker short, but suspect that will be less of a problem for them as they'll be very hard to play against and have plenty of goals elsewhere in the side.

14 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Close eye Thomas Delaney tonight..would have been a snip at 9m but probably wouldn’t have come here to be back up for Romeu .. apparently can play cb .. only once tho I believe 

Why would he have been back up ?

Arsenal’s window has been appalling.

Huge overspend on some average players. Tomi and White are good signings on paper but if the rest of the team is crap it’s almost pointless.

Ramsdale - £30m - wow! Hilarious, I bet Sheffield United were in stitches when that offer came in.

They have spent £150m to essentially compete with Newcastle, Everton (who did similar these past few years), West Ham etc.

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Arsenal’s window has been appalling.

Huge overspend on some average players. Tomi and White are good signings on paper but if the rest of the team is crap it’s almost pointless.

Ramsdale - £30m - wow! Hilarious, I bet Sheffield United were in stitches when that offer came in.

They have spent £150m to essentially compete with Newcastle, Everton (who did similar these past few years), West Ham etc.

As we've seen over the last few years, £150m is peanuts at the elite level. The very top clubs are spending that kind of money on individual players, not their summer squad overhaul. 

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Close eye Thomas Delaney tonight..would have been a snip at 9m but probably wouldn’t have come here to be back up for Romeu .. apparently can play cb .. only once tho I believe 

Yep, everyone says "get him in" but they forget he's got to want to come here. He's an established international and I can't imagine that he'd want to come and sit on our bench getting the odd cup game here and there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, everyone says "get him in" but they forget he's got to want to come here. He's an established international and I can't imagine that he'd want to come and sit on our bench getting the odd cup game here and there. 

He would have been an upgrade on Romeu, who would have ended up on the bench. Which is how we should buy players, not squad fillers aka Walcott.

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Completely unrealistic right? 

Shame to see that you've reverted to troll mode. 

But yep, expecting an established international player to join and sit on the bench, is unrealistic. He'd have wanted assurances that he'd play and I don't think he'd have got in ahead of Romeu.

20 hours ago, TWar said:

Ramsdale’s going for the hat-trick.

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Apart from on here were we ever even linked or interested in Delaney? At best a couple of very tenuous links early in the window 

Just seems to be one of those forum obsessions we get from window to window. I doubt the club were ever interested in paying a fee and a four year deal for a 29 year old in a position where we already have a 29 year old. And from his perspective he's not going to come to "compete" with an established player in his position at a bottom six Prem club at his career stage. He has gone to a Champions League club lets remember.

I'm sure we were looking at DCMs but in the realms of the 21 year old Wanyama or Hojberg types.

17 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Ben White May develop into a very good CB but 50m for someone with promise was a crazy choice imo. Especially as they already have a young cb they spent a bundle on (Saliba) that they seem intent on loaning to France without ever playing. Ramsdale, once again buying promise expensively, when they’ve already got a good first choice. Haven’t seen the Japanese guy so can’t comment if he’s going revolutionize them.

Not even sure selling willock to bring in odegaard is that wonderful a deal.

43 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just seems to be one of those forum obsessions we get from window to window. I doubt the club were ever interested in paying a fee and a four year deal for a 29 year old in a position where we already have a 29 year old. And from his perspective he's not going to come to "compete" with an established player in his position at a bottom six Prem club at his career stage. He has gone to a Champions League club lets remember.

I'm sure we were looking at DCMs but in the realms of the 21 year old Wanyama or Hojberg types.

For all the reasons you state it was never going to happen, yet not a page went by without someone demanding we sign him and one of the bizarre reasons being because he has played centre back a couple of time in a career of nearly 400 games 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

For all the reasons you state it was never going to happen, yet not a page went by without someone demanding we sign him and one of the bizarre reasons being because he has played centre back a couple of time in a career of nearly 400 games 

Didn't he go on holiday with Vestergaard after the Euros? Everyone assumed they'd share a car back to Southampton afterwards