Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

3 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I still find it bizarre that young kids want to join the likes of Man City’s academy. What pathway to the first team is there, when they can just lay down £50m on a player to come straight in.

I think the tide is turning a little in the 17-19 year old bracket (as being shown at Chelsea), but still happens far too regularly (across all teams of our size). Maybe I’m just naive.

I read an article a while ago on the incentives City offer to youngsters joining the academy, which includes things like paid for private education for them from that point on, irrespective of whether they get released on not.  The whole thing was quite eye opening on the extent to which they go to to sign talent. I get the point about actually playing for them, but you could see why it was attractive to sign for them irrespective.

I agree with your point about Chelsea.  While Lampard and Morris where there, the youth could see opportunities to play 1st team football, mainly because Morris worked with them at youth levels before becoming assistant manager.  

59 minutes ago, vince said:

I read an article a while ago on the incentives City offer to youngsters joining the academy, which includes things like paid for private education for them from that point on, irrespective of whether they get released on not.  The whole thing was quite eye opening on the extent to which they go to to sign talent. I get the point about actually playing for them, but you could see why it was attractive to sign for them irrespective.

I agree with your point about Chelsea.  While Lampard and Morris where there, the youth could see opportunities to play 1st team football, mainly because Morris worked with them at youth levels before becoming assistant manager.  

Tbf even without the incentives you’d want to sign with City or Chelsea... The players they’ve produced in recent years put our supposedly great academy to shame.  Albeit part of that will because they hoover up all the best talent anyway.  On the flip side our best youth prospect was released by Arsenal and therefore not really developed by us...

Seems to me that gifted young players are looking at the likes of Sancho and deciding they’re best taking the great coaching on offer at these clubs then moving on in their late teens to get first team football.  

15 hours ago, Cartman said:

Got rid of a load of dross clogging up their wage bill.

So has SFC to some extent but they have Zaha who if he is going to move to one of top 6 is this summer or bust. Probably in the log jam of other big transfers holding it up. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Does that mean Fabianski is off? Still a good keeper IMO although he's 36 years old which I didn't realise..

Doubt it, just succession planning as he gets phased out. Like you say, he's 36 - and becoming increasingly injury prone in the last couple of years. One year on his contract, no chance of it being renewed.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Villa have been planning for his departure for weeks, they wouldn't be throwing around £30m (potentially) on Bailey if he was staying. They know he's off, they're just using the time to replace now.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Villa have been planning for his departure for weeks, they wouldn't be throwing around £30m (potentially) on Bailey if he was staying. They know he's off, they're just using the time to replace now.

Very true.  Villa are minted though.  Spent nearly £90m last season without selling.

Mane, Minamino and Ox scored for Liverpool tonight in their friendly. Three ex-Saints doing the job. But, unfortunately some pathetic defending from Van Dijk in his 20 minutes on the pitch (hahaha, see below) saw them suffer a 4-3 defeat against Hertha Berlin.

33 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

So, who are we jealous of this year? 

Palace, I think. It will be Brighton eventually as people won't notice they are funding their spending by selling their only two good players other than Dunk (Lampety maybe but he's always injured)

No point being jealous of anyone. We've had some cracking seasons since our return to the big time. And even in our down turn of the last four/five years Pompey haven't managed to inch closer to us at all. So, rather then shedding a envious eye, spare a sympathetic thought for our fishy brethren. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Reported that a £25m bid for JWP from Villa has been rejected by Saints. 

2 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

The lad looks good, but £50M? Man, that is crazy.

We need to get some new batteries for the black box, we can't compete in this market right now, we need a couple players from nowhere. 

17th place trophy should be well interesting. 

More importantly. Within a week of finally shipping out lemina... And academy product the les Reed era released for free sells for £50m.

And yet people blame our current owner 😅

Edited by Saint86

15 hours ago, Saint86 said:

And academy product the les Reed era released for free sells for £50m.

And yet people blame our current owner 😅

I mean it's possible England could line up in the near future with a centre-back pairing of two released Saints youth players in White and Mings

But I reckon all clubs must have stories like this of ones that got away or players who in hindsight were mistakenly sold, I mean Chelsea fans must wince that Salah and De Bruyne have carried their teams to titles, when both were on their books and could be playing in the same Chelsea team. 

15 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

#WishWeWerePalace

Don't get the hype myself. Looked average in a relegated West Brom team, won't be at all surprised if he finds himself getting relegated again with Palace.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Think his agent was playing games there. A once thought of prospect, but now 25 and has never been capped by Scotland. Wasn't in their Euro's squad, I think he's a bit below the Premier League.

The Scottish Freddy Adu.

Villa linked with Cantwell as a Grealish replacement, wow that's a step down! Front four of Buendia Cantwell Bailley Watkins isn't that much better than the one Norwich finished 20th with. One more team I think we would be very competitive with.

30 minutes ago, TWar said:

Villa linked with Cantwell as a Grealish replacement, wow that's a step down! Front four of Buendia Cantwell Bailley Watkins isn't that much better than the one Norwich finished 20th with. One more team I think we would be very competitive with.

Really? Bailey is a superstar, he'll rip it up. Cantwell has improved massively since his season in the Prem.

Watkins is much better than Pukki. If they don't finish top 6 with or without Grealish then Dean Smith needs binning. We'll be nowhere near them sadly. They've gone up a couple of levels since promotion and have overtaken us in the process.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If they don't finish top 6 with or without Grealish then Dean Smith needs binning. We'll be nowhere near them sadly. They've gone up a couple of levels since promotion and have overtaken us in the process.

Villa were 11th last season, a long way behind 6th.

9 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I mean it's possible England could line up in the near future with a centre-back pairing of two released Saints youth players in White and Mings

But I reckon all clubs must have stories like this of ones that got away or players who in hindsight were mistakenly sold, I mean Chelsea fans must wince that Salah and De Bruyne have carried their teams to titles, when both were on their books and could be playing in the same Chelsea team. 

Don't get me wrong Tajuk, we aren't unique in mistakenly releasing players.

But that era of management was an utter car crash that has tied several millstones around out club.

If you ignore the damage done to the academy in terms of talent drain (and also the income that has cost the club - white being the latest)... you've also got players like Hoedt, Lemina, Forsters Contract, Carillo, Ely, Boufal etc... not to mention Puel, MoPe, and Hughes.

That lot took a near champions league level squad and ruined the club inside 2seasons... here we are but a few years later with a £100m+ debt, still unable to shift all of those wasted signings / high earners, and unable to significantly strength.

That management era make Lowe's look good 🤣.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Really? Bailey is a superstar, he'll rip it up. Cantwell has improved massively since his season in the Prem.

Watkins is much better than Pukki. If they don't finish top 6 with or without Grealish then Dean Smith needs binning. We'll be nowhere near them sadly. They've gone up a couple of levels since promotion and have overtaken us in the process.

I mean, comparing that front 4 to Norwich is farcical, but expected to finish in the top 6 without Grealish? Wow.

Bailey’s a good player, but if he was that much of a superstar a bigger club surely would have snapped him up at that price? Not sure id say Cantwell has improved massively either. 

Villa will finish above us, no doubt. But all this talk of them finishing in the top 6, I just don’t see it. They finished 11th last year and are looking likely to lose their best player. 

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Bailey’s a good player, but if he was that much of a superstar a bigger club surely would have snapped him up at that price? Not sure id say Cantwell has improved massively either. 

He's very quick and direct is Bailey, looked good a few times I have seen him but I think consistency and injuries are an issue.

34 goals and 22 assists in near 150 games for Leverkusen.

Just as a comparison Sancho in the same league has 43 goals and 52 assists from about 10 less games.  

Bailey was 14th in the league for goals and 16th for assists last year, Ihlas Bebou for Hoffenhiem pretty much had the same record, who you say? Yeh exactly.

If Bailey was a superstar honestly he would have been plucked from Leverkusen earlier by bigger clubs, I mean Leverkusen are a selling club they generally sell most of their talent on and clubs like Bayern and Dortmund also tend to pluck out the best talent in the rest of the league, and if they don't big PL clubs come knocking. Who Bailey has been linked with for a long time but no one seemed to go for him, so their must be a reason for that.

Like I say he might suit the league and be a really good signing, but I think he's a good player rather than a top top one. It's also difficult to judge players coming out of the Bundesliga, I mean Lookman managed 5 goals and 3 assists in just 7 starts for Leipzig on loan but then ended up at Fulham where he did decently but not near the same level.  Werner has banged in the goals but struggled at Chelsea, arguably a better club creating more chances than probably Leipzig do. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Bailley is massively hot and cold, german fans considered him wildly inconsistent. Cantwell averages 7 goal involvements a season over the last three seasons and two of those is in the championship and was bang average last season and dropped a lot. Buendia has good chance creation but not much else, was very poor last time up. Watkins is pretty average imo too, looked good playing with Grealish but without him looked dreadful, think he was carried by Grealish a bit. Pukki only got three fewer goals than Watkins in the prem and didn't have the privilege of playing with one of europes best creators, without Grealish I very much doubt Pukki would have topped that last season.

Obviously it is better than Norwich as Bailey is more promising than McClean/Tettey. And I don't think they will have nearly as bad a season as their midfield and defence are both much better. I do think it is worthy of notice that an attack that consists mostly of Buendia, Cantwell and Watkins doesn't feel that much better than one that consists mostly of Buendia, Cantwell, and Pukki.

Top 6 is a very bold prediction imo, as others have said they weren't a top half side with Grealish and they are definitely downgrading.

Edited by TWar