Other Teams - Summer 2021

nta786

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I feel like we’re going into the season with an even weaker squad than the one we finished with.

Norwich and Palace have made excellent signings.

Don't agree with this. The only starter we've lost was Bertrand and he was pretty poor last year. I'm very hopefully Perraud is an upgrade. No one else we've lost should be anywhere near our first team. If Ings and/or Vest go then we'll need to replace well admittedly.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TWar said:

Don't agree with this. The only starter we've lost was Bertrand and he was pretty poor last year. I'm very hopefully Perraud is an upgrade. No one else we've lost should be anywhere near our first team. If Ings and/or Vest go then we'll need to replace well admittedly.

I suppose that’s a good point. I think it’s more the fact that even though we’re clearing the deadwood we’ve also begun clearing out the youngsters on loans, albeit they weren’t prominent players but we’re only going to fill the gaps with different youngsters.

We need at least another four or five good signings to come in and make a difference immediately.

We need to veer away from buying youth players or “ones for the future”.

We need solid stability now.

There are good players out there and for very small fees looking around.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Sold Portugals first choice keeper and brought in a lad who didn't even make the squad, and it's not like he's an up and comer, he's 28. Mendes giveth and Mendes taketh away.

Second biggest ever fee for a Saints Academy prospect, Ben White. Only Bale (Spurs to Madrid) has cost more.

Will surely be some at Saints with major regrets at releasing him.

Oh how we could use a £50m injection to our transfer budget. Instead a direct rival has it.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think we have an ongoing blind spot with goalkeepers & centre-backs at the academy.

Released in 2014 when Les was at the peak of his powers. Good old Les, not content to spunk tens of millions away he also was happy to give players away who would go on to be worth tens of millions. #thesouthamptonway

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Second biggest ever fee for a Saints Academy prospect, Ben White. Only Bale (Spurs to Madrid) has cost more.

Will surely be some at Saints with major regrets at releasing him.

Oh how we could use a £50m injection to our transfer budget. Instead a direct rival has it.

Is it possible to get every academy decision right? Seems like quite a high bar and I'm sure every club makes mistakes

37 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Is it possible to get every academy decision right? Seems like quite a high bar and I'm sure every club makes mistakes

Of course, and players develop at different rates so its not an exact science, but sure they would be disappointed not to spot the potential of a £50m player.

56 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course, and players develop at different rates so its not an exact science, but sure they would be disappointed not to spot the potential of a £50m player.

They probably will be, as ambitious people who want to do a great job, but they may equally reflect that White simply didn't show enough to justify keeping him on, and they couldn't have known how he would kick on.

Indeed no other Premier League team saw fit to take him on at that time

49 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Got friends who are Brighton fans and they were rating White as their third best CB last season, after Dunk and Webster (and that was before any links about him leaving - they probably think he's worse than Dan Burn now!! 😂). It's a large fee and I'm not convinced he'll be the defensive leader Arsenal really need.

Wish Arsenal or top 4 club could plunk that sort of money on of our players

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

My best mates a leeds fan and they loved him up there but when they signed Koch they reckon he was a level up from White 

I've never been a fan of Koch. 👀

Seriously though I usually take note of youngsters in the academy (Olumola sticks in my head for some reason) but I don't remember White's name. Fair play to Brighton though. They only had him for a full season of football and £50 million is crazy money. I wonder if he'd have cost less if he hadn't been picked by Southgate. 

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I've never been a fan of Koch. 👀

Seriously though I usually take note of youngsters in the academy (Olumola sticks in my head for some reason) but I don't remember White's name. Fair play to Brighton though. They only had him for a full season of football and £50 million is crazy money. I wonder if he'd have cost less if he hadn't been picked by Southgate. 

He never got a scholarship as far as I can tell.  If he was released in 2014 then it was Ollie Cook & Alfie Jones who got the nod as academy centre-backs that year.

Just shows how fickle football fans are. United fans stormed the ground demanding a change in ownership, yet fast forward a few months and the same fans are creaming themselves over the amount of business they could potentially do this summer.

It was all to do with the debt the Glaziers were saddling the club with and nothing to do with being in City/Liverpools shadow. Yeah right

On 16/07/2021 at 22:55, SuperSAINT said:

I think we have an ongoing blind spot with goalkeepers & centre-backs at the academy.

The most difficult positions to fill (historically), and few mature so early in their careers.

Most goalies don't make it into a Prem. side until their mid/ late twenties (will watch Angus Gunn's progress )

but Ben White was a late developer who didn't impress that much as a teenager, but it's interesting to note that

he wasn't the only CB we lost along the way.  

Tyrone MIngs was shown the door along with others (around 2010) after Nicola Cortese dumped the Academy scheme 

- as a cost-saving measure, and then spent the money .... on the likes of Ramirez and Osvaldo.(!) 

Short term gain - long term pain. 

Imagine we may have been interested in Gray at that kind of price...have certainly been keen before.

Everton don't really have many wide players, but not sure this will have been what they expected at the start of the summer!

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Imagine we may have been interested in Gray at that kind of price...have certainly been keen before.

Everton don't really have many wide players, but not sure this will have been what they expected at the start of the summer!

Surprisingly un-Everton-like signings, I thought. 

On 16/07/2021 at 15:23, Doctoroncall said:

Indeed. We were after him. ☹️

I know Marc and his family quite well.  Despite Covid, he came to present awards at the Youth Football club I help run a few weeks ago (he also made a sizable donation to the club, which will fund about a third of our costs for training on the local 3G pitch for the season) and I've had conversations with them in the last week after the Palace story broke as obviously I've been quite keen on him joining us!  I was told that some contact had been made in the past, but I got the impression our interest never really firmed up either then or more recently.  I guess the club probably have the same conversations with several players at any given time.  CB is a hard position to fill at PL level for someone his age but he is certainly a well grounded, hard working young man who is clearly driven to do the best he can.  Personally, I'm disappointed we didn't  pursue our interest as I'm sure he'll do well and maybe at some point he'll come to us - the family spoke very highly of the club and their reputation every time we spoke about it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

Brighton in for Edouard. Would be a good signing imo. Would like to compete but they have the £50m White money to spend and whatever they get for Bissouma.

I am clinging to the hope that we could tempt Celtic with a swap deal involving FF & Moi.

33 minutes ago, vince said:

I know Marc and his family quite well.  Despite Covid, he came to present awards at the Youth Football club I help run a few weeks ago (he also made a sizable donation to the club, which will fund about a third of our costs for training on the local 3G pitch for the season) and I've had conversations with them in the last week after the Palace story broke as obviously I've been quite keen on him joining us!  I was told that some contact had been made in the past, but I got the impression our interest never really firmed up either then or more recently.  I guess the club probably have the same conversations with several players at any given time.  CB is a hard position to fill at PL level for someone his age but he is certainly a well grounded, hard working young man who is clearly driven to do the best he can.  Personally, I'm disappointed we didn't  pursue our interest as I'm sure he'll do well and maybe at some point he'll come to us - the family spoke very highly of the club and their reputation every time we spoke about it.

I think it comes down to priorities and the prices why there wasn’t further development.