The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That's the crux of the matter for me. It's undeniable that more people are calling it out more but I fundamentally don't believe that's helping the situation. As other have said, it's the same reason people troll internet forums; they want to be called out, they want to upset people, we are unintentionally, actively encouraging it.

As a balance between changing attitudes and fueling some people's desire for negative attention, I think we've tipped the scales the wrong way, in favour of the latter. As a society, we know racism is wrong in the same way that we have known stealing and murder are wrong, since the days before Biblical testament. They will always be a small factor in society and, as with stealing and murder, I think we've reached the point in Britain where 'getting the message out' has achieved all it can. 

You don't think people calling out racist behaviour is helping?

I'm sorry, but that's total, and utter, garbage. 

We're also nowhere near the point of achieving all it can, the momentum is clearly going in the right direction.

With respect, you've clearly never had to deal with the impacts of racism, and it shows.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That's the crux of the matter for me. It's undeniable that more people are calling it out more but I fundamentally don't believe that's helping the situation. As other have said, it's the same reason people troll internet forums; they want to be called out, they want to upset people, we are unintentionally, actively encouraging it.

As a balance between changing attitudes and fueling some people's desire for negative attention, I think we've tipped the scales the wrong way, in favour of the latter. As a society, we know racism is wrong in the same way that we have known stealing and murder are wrong, since the days before Biblical testament. They will always be a small factor in society and, as with stealing and murder, I think we've reached the point in Britain where 'getting the message out' has achieved all it can. 

Perhaps I'm misreading you but are you seriously saying that our society knew racism was wrong even when we were a global leader in slavery?

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

So are you saying we should stop getting the message out?

No, I was more than happy with the ‘Kick it Out’ slogan, for the benefit of anyone who was in any doubt as to right and wrong. The problem, whether we like it or not, is that some people are more than happy to be wrong and others actively seek it out. We need to accept that it’s a message that’s been out in various guises for decades and that simply adjusting the words and turning up the volume will achieve little to negative effect. 

There is a difference between putting the message out and actively publicising wrong doers.

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Perhaps I'm misreading you but are you seriously saying that our society knew racism was wrong even when we were a global leader in slavery?

Yes, perhaps I wasn’t clear. Knowing racism is wrong is a more recent aspect of society, my point was that we’ve had millennia of punishing thieves with everything from prison and community service to public hangings or severing their hands and it is still a problem.

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Why is it more important to you to constantly have a go at the people calling out racism, then those that are saying the racist comments in the first place? You are constantly downplaying them, dismissing them as trolls, yet spend no time empathising with those at the receiving end? Surely it is more important to spend time trying to understand those at the receiving end, rather than trying to downplay those making the comments

During the Denmark game. I was out with my friend who is a black woman but also quite large as well. Whilst out, a bunch of these thugs started joking at her and calling her a gorilla. Even made deep gorilla sounds and then told her it was only 'banter' when she got upset. So in your eyes, is that okay? Cos most of the people in the pub were fine and it was only a small section?

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Are you saying that either enough has been done to combat racist behaviour, or it's impossible to achieve progress against racist behaviour so we might as well just not do anything?  Do you think a different action i.e. not taking the knee, or calling out the Home Secretary would be more effective?

• Like 2

I enjoyed the football but for other reasons am especially proud of the team. This group of players and the manager are so good in terms of their individual outlook and efforts (Rashford the most striking example, also when they've sadly had to stand up for themselves against the right wing press, and Southgate speaks very well).

And they seem to have a group understanding of what's important in life beyond football, such as a striking anti-racist, anti-discriminatory belief and taking actions about these issues.

It's not their responsibility to do so but it would be great if they collectively called out the hypocrisy of the government (Mings already has, which is brilliant) and in doing so possibly advanced the debate that is desperately needed about racism in this country. And a Tory MP telling Rashford to stick to football after he helped feed 1000s unlike them. And the home secretary openly encouraging racists because it suits her politically. This shows why it's needed.

I've always been much more passionate about Saints and club football than England (and I don't think that will change), but we can be proud of this lot.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Why is it more important to you to constantly have a go at the people calling out racism, then those that are saying the racist comments in the first place? You are constantly downplaying them, dismissing them as trolls, yet spend no time empathising with those at the receiving end? Surely it is more important to spend time trying to understand those at the receiving end, rather than trying to downplay those making the comments

During the Denmark game. I was out with my friend who is a black woman but also quite large as well. Whilst out, a bunch of these thugs started joking at her and calling her a gorilla. Even made deep gorilla sounds and then told her it was only 'banter' when she got upset. So in your eyes, is that okay? Cos most of the people in the pub were fine and it was only a small section?

Bang on the money - and well called out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes, perhaps I wasn’t clear. Knowing racism is wrong is a more recent aspect of society, my point was that we’ve had millennia of punishing thieves with everything from prison and community service to public hangings or severing their hands and it is still a problem.

So if footballers were being targeted by thieves every day and they wanted to protest against it with a coordinated gesture before each game, would you be against that?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, trousers said:

It was *almost* the perfect penalty though... He did the hard bit (sent the keeper the wrong way) and got the easy bit wrong (but only just). Fine margins...

Perfect show off penalty, I have no sympathy for a player who decides to out smart a keeper instead of outscoring him! The dancing, hops stutter steps, pauses all make the kicker look twice a silly boy if it does not come off. Your advantage as penalty kicker is no keeper can stop a well struck ball in the right place, if you have the skill to place a hard shot, no keeper will save them even if they guess the same way, ala Le Tiss, Sir lambert. So have some balls, pick your spot and thump it in the net!! 

7 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Perfect show off penalty, I have no sympathy for a player who decides to out smart a keeper instead of outscoring him! The dancing, hops stutter steps, pauses all make the kicker look twice a silly boy if it does not come off. Your advantage as penalty kicker is no keeper can stop a well struck ball in the right place, if you have the skill to place a hard shot, no keeper will save them even if they guess the same way, ala Le Tiss, Sir lambert. So have some balls, pick your spot and thump it in the net!! 

Agree with this. Know where you are putting it before the walk from the centre circle and stick with it. Southgate said they had been practising all week so he must have known he was going to try that shit. 

Southgate's man management maybe world class but his in game management and ability to change his tactics to adapt to the oppositions changes is piss poor. 

I was sat in the Gods watching the second half unfold and it was obvious to me that we needed to match up the additional man in midfield. It seemed liked Southgate was desperately hoping we would by hope or prayer would hold on to the lead. making the required change after equaliser is unforgivable in my opinion. It was like watching saints FFS. 

24 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So if footballers were being targeted by thieves every day and they wanted to protest against it with a coordinated gesture before each game, would you be against that?

Yes. That would be patronising, serves no purpose and would indicate a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

21 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Agree with this. Know where you are putting it before the walk from the centre circle and stick with it. Southgate said they had been practising all week so he must have known he was going to try that shit. 

Southgate's man management maybe world class but his in game management and ability to change his tactics to adapt to the oppositions changes is piss poor. 

I was sat in the Gods watching the second half unfold and it was obvious to me that we needed to match up the additional man in midfield. It seemed liked Southgate was desperately hoping we would by hope or prayer would hold on to the lead. making the required change after equaliser is unforgivable in my opinion. It was like watching saints FFS. 

It was obvious to most commentators that we had lost the midfield. We had a doughnut formation with everybody around the outside and nobody in the middle. Italy might have got lucky with the rebound for their goal but we could all see that it was coming.

After they scored we were struggling to hang on for 0-0 and penalties. They blew their one big chance.

Congratulations to Harry Maguire for being included in the Team of The Tournament.

Also included is Sterling and Kyle Walker.

And, little old Pierre-Emille Hojbjerg.

Looking at the whole team, yes I admit it's really strong but it clearly lacks someone who is excellent at free kicks and corners.

Edited by CB Fry

Has anybody actually seen any of this racist abuse? We've had a huge outpouring of condemnation for it (rightly so) but all i've actually seen is a bit of Marcus Rashfords mural be damaged, no suggestion it was racially motivated. Thinking back to 1998 when David Beckham was the whipping boy of the country there were soft toys in Beckham shirts pictured hanging from a tree. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Congratulations to Harry Maguire for being included in the Team of The Tournament.

Also included is Sterling and Kyle Walker.

And, little old Pierre-Emille Hojbjerg.

Looking at the whole team, yes I admit it's really strong but it clearly lacks someone who is excellent at free kicks and corners.

Strange, especially considering ‘Always’ told us he wasn’t fit and therefore shouldn’t have been selected. 

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

if you have the skill to place a hard shot, no keeper will save them even if they guess the same way, ala Le Tiss, Sir lambert. So have some balls, pick your spot and thump it in the net!! 

Except Le Tissier didn't just pick a spot and thump it. I remember watching him explain his technique, he always side-footed it in a way that if the keeper moved early he could easily adjust his foot to go for the other corner. If the keeper didn't go early he knew his strike would be powerful enough whatever corner it went in.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yes, I agree. But why not the outcry there would be if this was a group of white men singing this? 

I’d imagine because it doesn’t imply that being black makes them worse at something, and there’s far less historic bias against white people that can be inferred by it.

Doesn’t mean that it’s not a stupid chant, just that there’s less perception that it’s racially motivated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

And here we have the age old problem in this country: people are more offended by the mere allegation of racism than they are the existence of racism itself.

Too many people sit there and  go "they aren't real football fans", in a way of distancing themselves from the problem and trying to avoid it.

But the reality is, these are real football fans, they are very real. One has ready been identified as a Leyton Orient STH, some others who have been prosecuted for previous racist abuse have all been STH's. Regardless of how big, or little, the problem is, it's there and doesn't seem to be going away and the sooner people and institutions square up to it, the better instead of treating it like the elephant in the room.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Except Le Tissier didn't just pick a spot and thump it. I remember watching him explain his technique, he always side-footed it in a way that if the keeper moved early he could easily adjust his foot to go for the other corner. If the keeper didn't go early he knew his strike would be powerful enough whatever corner it went in.

Correct.

If you watch a lot of his penalties, it looks like the keeper would save them had he gone the right way. Matt explained this by saying if the keeper was going the right way he hit it hard, with accuracy,  in the corner. Once  he’d gone the wrong way and Matt adjusted his foot, the accuracy wasn’t as important. All that mattered was a clean contact that side of the goal rather than hitting the corner. 

• Like 1

It's all very well Harry Kane saying "You're not England fans and we don't want you" but the fact is Harry, they ARE England fans and they ARE racist. History tells us there has always been conflict between people of different race, creed, religion, culture, basically people who are from "different origins" if I can put it like that. Wars start because of it. And sadly, it will never go away despite all the campaigning and "peace treaties" in the world. It may go quiet for a while, die down, but these things always raise their ugly heads again. Nazi's & Jews, Catholic & Protestant, Native Americans and "The white settlers",  South Africa Apartheid, The Middle East conflicts etc etc etc.

Yes, I'm for trying to educate people of course, but if it is ingrained in individuals or groups....or even Nations, they will never change even if Harry Kane tells them they're not wanted. Yes it's depressing but I think I'm just being realistic. 

No doubt someone here will shoot me down in flames because they think differently.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Has anybody actually seen any of this racist abuse? We've had a huge outpouring of condemnation for it (rightly so) but all i've actually seen is a bit of Marcus Rashfords mural be damaged, no suggestion it was racially motivated. Thinking back to 1998 when David Beckham was the whipping boy of the country there were soft toys in Beckham shirts pictured hanging from a tree. 

Why ask that question? Don’t you believe that they have been racially abused?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

So why has it not worked then? For the last year, the message couldn’t have been shouted more loudly and frequently. We had the black squares on Instagram, people tweeting #icantbreath, ‘Black Lives Matter’ printed on the back of every Premier League shirt for a month, every player in every club taking the knee before every game for more than a whole season, likewise with cricket matches, F1 and countless other sports, we’ve had no more racism adverts on TV in the adverts for all major sporting fixtures, huge banners across the empty seats in stadia, marches through all major cities, statues ripped down, films and TV shows from 50 years ago censored and edited, comedians apologising for jokes made in good humour 20 years ago, cricketers banned for something they said a decade ago as a teenager.

We’ve had all of that and what has it achieved?

Nothing that I can see. I don't condone racism on any level but sadly there are those in our society who do and 3 black players failing to score their penalties would have been all they needed to start the abuse and monkey emojis. I treat people they way I would like them to treat me. I don't have the answer to racism and I don't even know if there is one.

27 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Why ask that question? Don’t you believe that they have been racially abused?

Obviously they were as it's not something that anyone would make up. It's just with the fact it's been top of agenda in the media for a couple of days there has been very little actual evidence of this. Usually with these sort of things there are videos, screen shots etc, there has been none of that (that i have seen) which given the scale of the condemnation i find a bit strange, dont you? 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

And I'm wondering if that's something he could coach for the current players. They may not be as talented as him, but they are top players who surely could master this technique.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Obviously they were as it's not something that anyone would make up. It's just with the fact it's been top of agenda in the media for a couple of days there has been very little actual evidence of this. Usually with these sort of things there are videos, screen shots etc, there has been none of that (that i have seen) which given the scale of the condemnation i find a bit strange. 

What evidence do you want?  Mural was defaced after the game.  A friend of mine, who runs the project behind the original mural, went down early on Monday morning and covered it up.  It's since been painted over by the original artist

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It was obvious to most commentators that we had lost the midfield. We had a doughnut formation with everybody around the outside and nobody in the middle. Italy might have got lucky with the rebound for their goal but we could all see that it was coming.

After they scored we were struggling to hang on for 0-0 and penalties. They blew their one big chance.

No Southgate blew their one big chance. 

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

It's all very well Harry Kane saying "You're not England fans and we don't want you" but the fact is Harry, they ARE England fans and they ARE racist. History tells us there has always been conflict between people of different race, creed, religion, culture, basically people who are from "different origins" if I can put it like that. Wars start because of it. And sadly, it will never go away despite all the campaigning and "peace treaties" in the world. It may go quiet for a while, die down, but these things always raise their ugly heads again. Nazi's & Jews, Catholic & Protestant, Native Americans and "The white settlers",  South Africa Apartheid, The Middle East conflicts etc etc etc.

Yes, I'm for trying to educate people of course, but if it is ingrained in individuals or groups....or even Nations, they will never change even if Harry Kane tells them they're not wanted. Yes it's depressing but I think I'm just being realistic. 

No doubt someone here will shoot me down in flames because they think differently.....

There we go lads, no point kneeling or complaining. It's happened before, so it's doomed to happen again, may as well let them crack on with it! Why attempt to better society when we're all, ultimately, at the end of the day, when all's said and done, bastards. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John D said:

What evidence do you want?  Mural was defaced after the game.  A friend of mine, who runs the project behind the original mural, went down early on Monday morning and covered it up.  It's since been painted over by the original artist

i'm not asking for evidence, just pointing this out. Like i said, usually you'd get photos, screen shots etc the media are all over it, there's been nothing apart from widespread condemnation, which considering the outcry for two days now is a bit strange. When it was Beckham This was in every paper. Seen nothing like it with this stuff, which you'd have thought there would be.

beckham.jpg

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

If you think back 50 years or 100 years, we've come so far on things like racism and homophobia. There's no reason to think we can't keep improving, but it takes education and people standing up for what's right

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i'm not asking for evidence, just pointing this out. Like i said, usually you'd get photos, screen shots etc the media are all over it, there's been nothing apart from widespread condemnation, which considering the outcry for two days now is a bit strange. When it was Beckham This was in every paper. Seen nothing like it with this stuff, which you'd have thought there would be.

beckham.jpg

I guess they're trying to deny people the attention they're looking for. Condemn in broad terms but don't share the actual content, which is after all offensive to many people

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

beckham.jpg

That looks nothing like Beckham. Bit like my Nan mind

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

beckham.jpg

Pictures and evidence is all over the internet which took me about 20 seconds to find examples of. 

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Can you share the links please? I haven’t seen any

So you’re quite happy to spend time searching for a picture of abuse of David Beckham from years ago but can’t figure out how to find anything from the last couple of days?

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

So you’re quite happy to spend time searching for a picture of abuse of David Beckham from years ago but can’t figure out how to find anything from the last couple of days?

It took about 3 seconds to find the beckham images. I googled “England players racially abused” looked at about 10 links and founds lots of condemnation but no actual evidence (which as I say I am not saying didn’t happen). If you’ve got some you could share it if you like. 

2 hours ago, supersonic said:

And here we have the age old problem in this country: people are more offended by the mere allegation of racism than they are the existence of racism itself.

Too many people sit there and  go "they aren't real football fans", in a way of distancing themselves from the problem and trying to avoid it.

But the reality is, these are real football fans, they are very real. One has ready been identified as a Leyton Orient STH, some others who have been prosecuted for previous racist abuse have all been STH's. Regardless of how big, or little, the problem is, it's there and doesn't seem to be going away and the sooner people and institutions square up to it, the better instead of treating it like the elephant in the room.

I’m not sure what you mean by that first sentence. 99% of the population deplores racism and those who practice it, that’s not really up for debate. As for saying they aren’t real football fans, well yes I agree with you, there are racist football fans. I’m not sure that’s ever actually been denied either. It’s a football stadium, Wembley could hold the entire population of Lincoln of course there were racist football fans there. There were also tax frauds, nonces, wife beaters, burglars and a handful of people who have or will commit murder at some point.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

It took about 3 seconds to find the beckham images. I googled “England players racially abused” looked at about 10 links and founds lots of condemnation but no actual evidence (which as I say I am not saying didn’t happen). If you’ve got some you could share it if you like. 

That’s because the news outlets that Google is finding are quite rightly reporting whats occurred without contributing to spreading it themselves.

This has occurred all over social media. I’m not going to go looking for it for you.

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

That’s because the news outlets that Google is finding are quite rightly reporting whats occurred without contributing to spreading it themselves.

This has occurred all over social media. I’m not going to go looking for it for you.

Right so despite it being really easy to find (supersonic said he found loads in 20 seconds) no one has actually been able to share any links yet because they are only reporting it. So I was right then, there isn’t actually any evidence of it, which was my point. 

1 hour ago, John D said:

Do you actually know what the Graffiti said? I’ll take it as not, so I’ll tell you. 

‘shit in a bucket, bastard’ 

What in the hell is racist about that? Are we now at a stage where we cannot criticise people of colour? 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Right so despite it being really easy to find (supersonic said he found loads in 20 seconds) no one has actually been able to share any links yet because they are only reporting it. So I was right then, there isn’t actually any evidence of it, which was my point. 

In fairness, I’ve seen a few tweets and a few anonymous Instagram accounts sending the abuse. 

The idiots who sent them deserve punishment but fuck me, you’re going to get idiots of all colour, massively blown over the top… again. 

In this very thread I’ve shared a video of a group of black males making racial remarks absolutely no condemnation though.