2021/22 Fixtures

Wurzel

A message appeared in my google calendar this morning saying the fixtures will be announced and automatically  added to my calendar tomorrow at 9 am.  It feels like last season has only just ended. Assuming it's genuine is that earlier than it usually gets announced?

Hopefully we can avoid the 3 promoted teams in the first few games, they often play out of their skins for the first few weeks. Wolves, Newcastle, Palace and Burnley would be a decent start.

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Hopefully we can avoid the 3 promoted teams in the first few games...

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Just so long as our run in is tolerable...

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Hoping for an easy run over Christmas...

So we want an easy start, easy finish and an easy bit in the middle - it's just the other bits in between that will fook us up...

Edited by alehouseboys
  • Haha 9

Would prefer one of the best teams like Manchester City as they have the entire squad away on international duties and they would only have 3 weeks of pre season training.

We never start well anyway so we might as well get this one out of the way.

Add West Ham, Liverpool, Spurs, Leeds and Burnley as we never beat them too.

Edited by Pilchards

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

So we want an easy start, easy finish and an easy bit in the middle - it's just the other bits in between that will fook us up...

Sounds good to me, although we’ll probably still end up about 16th 👍 

I’d prefer the tough run to be right at the start. There’re always a couple who have indifferent starts to the campaign, I’d rather catch them before they get their rhythm. Remember the start we had when we first came up? We were a combined 20 minutes or so away from beating both United and City. A Koeman or Poch team would have seen those two off relatively comfortably and probably got a routine 2-0 win over Wigan in between.

9 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Let's see if we can extend our laughable record of opening day results!

What is it again, 3/4 opening day wins in about 30 years?  Only ones I can remember are Coventry away ('99 ish), Leeds at home ('11 ish) and West Brom away ('14 ish).

Think you're right, I remember West Ham at home 1988 as well but that's about it in my living memory. 

I used to love fixture day, plan away trips book up trains, can't say I'm that bothered this year 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hoping we get a favourable set of fixtures to start the season with :)

As usual my eyes will go straight to the last few fixtures of the season. If we have the likes of Norwich, Brentford, Burnley, Palace, etc we may be in with a shot of survival again! 😋

Seriously an opening day win would be nice, but seeing as we presently have one senior full back, we need to get a shift on in the transfer window.

Start is most crucial IMO considering the poor form at the end of last season.

If we end up with 4 of the first six vs the big teams then you have to wonder how long Ralph would last.

Seeing as most of our key players will get a full pre season, a relatively kind start would give a chance to change the mood amongst fans and probably the players.

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Hideous start. Be amazed if Ralph is still here in October. Could easily pick up no wins first 8 games

Yep, we never win at Everton , record at St Mary's at home to Man Utd and West Ham is woeful , definitely bottom 3 after first 5 games 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Hideous start. Be amazed if Ralph is still here in October. Could easily pick up no wins first 8 games

Could do, but I think we should be looking to get something out of Newcastle, West Ham, and Wolves. They are all teams in and around the level that we would want to be. West Ham overperformed last season imo.

22 hours ago, TWar said:

Hoping for an easy run over Christmas, we are much worse when we have fixture congestion so an easier period would be very handy.

Palace, Brentford, West Ham, Spurs, Newcastle over the festive period. Not too bad tbh.

5 hours ago, SNSUN said:

As usual my eyes will go straight to the last few fixtures of the season. If we have the likes of Norwich, Brentford, Burnley, Palace, etc we may be in with a shot of survival again!

Not the best run in - 5 defeats in the final 8, minimum.

Apr 2 Leeds United (a)
Apr 9 Chelsea (h)
Apr 16 Arsenal (h)
Apr 23 Brighton & Hove Albion (a)
Apr 30 Crystal Palace (h)
May 7 Brentford (a)
May 15 Liverpool (h)
May 22 Leicester City (a)

That Brighton, Palace, Brentford triple header will be make or break.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Palace, Brentford, West Ham, Spurs, Newcastle over the festive period. Not too bad tbh.

I get your point about us not being very good over Christmas, but I’d see that as the time to play the big boys in a bit of a no loss situation (not expecting anything). 3 of those could easily be battling relegation with us and I’d rather play them when we’ve ample time to prepare and are historically in better form. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supersonic said:

There is a very realistic chance we don't win any of the opening 5 and Ralph is gone by the end of September.

I think, given the leeway we have previously afforded him, it's unlikely we sack him 5 games in even if it's all losses. As you say, a hard run and the club will be aware of that as well as the fact we probably won't finish our transfer business early so the team won't be at full strength for those 5.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Could do, but I think we should be looking to get something out of Newcastle, West Ham, and Wolves. They are all teams in and around the level that we would want to be. West Ham overperformed last season imo.

Plus Wet Spam will have one eye on european football (clutching at straws)..........but the fixtures seem to be stop start in momentum if we take into account our seasons finish but most importantly our start. Squad harmony and potential new signings will no doubt have an impact as to how well we perform.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

I get your point about us not being very good over Christmas, but I’d see that as the time to play the big boys in a bit of a no loss situation (not expecting anything). 3 of those could easily be battling relegation with us and I’d rather play them when we’ve ample time to prepare and are historically in better form. 

That's a good point. If we end up in a relegation battle then I agree entirely. If by some miracle we end up pushing top half or even europe it would be nice to see us carry momentum over xmas rather than stumble and drop.

As things stand, having looked at that; I honestly think this could be the season we drop. 

A very tough start and pretty tough end means we’ll need to pick up points over Christmas and January, where we always seem to be crap. 

Worried. 

Just now, SKD said:

As things stand, having looked at that; I honestly think this could be the season we drop. 

A very tough start and pretty tough end means we’ll need to pick up points over Christmas and January, where we always seem to be crap. 

Worried. 

I wonder if we'll do our usual trick of a shocking half and a fantastic half. If we carry on this year's form we should be in the relegation fight up till new years and then charge up the table going undefeated the second half of the season.

• Haha 1

Just now, SKD said:

Worried. 

Cheer Up Love GIF by Chippy the Dog

You appear to be writing off a season in mid June before you've seen what we do in the transfer window!

Momentum will play a big part in how we start this season. Lose the first 2/3, very feasible, then we could be on a very slippery slop and memories from how we needed last season will come flooding back. 

Pick up a few points and I think we’ll go into other games with confidence. 

The Newcastle game will for me be the benchmark of how our season will go. 

If we didn’t sack Ralph after losing 15 out of 21, or whatever it was, I doubt we’ll do it for not winning 5 or 8. Anyway, look on the bright side, we never win our opening fixture or our trip to Goodison. Now we’ve managed to consolidate the two into one convenient defeat, it frees up another game we might get a draw from.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Cheer Up Love GIF by Chippy the Dog

You appear to be writing off a season in mid June before you've seen what we do in the transfer window!

Given we’ve got no money and out ropey record in the transfer market, do you think we’ll actually improve our squad to the level needed? 

I don’t. 

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

Worried. 

if we get off to a bad start then we could be in big trouble. We've seen that the team doesn't have a lot of backbone when things go against them so if we get on a bad run and are down the bottom. Congested fixtures over christmas when we always seem to struggle wont help either,

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think, given the leeway we have previously afforded him, it's unlikely we sack him 5 games in even if it's all losses. As you say, a hard run and the club will be aware of that as well as the fact we probably won't finish our transfer business early so the team won't be at full strength for those 5.

With no wins in opening 5 we'd then be on a run of just 4 wins in 26 games.

There's no way he could continue after that 

• Like 2

Everton away is quite a good fixture. They have a new manager with less time to implement his ideas and Everton fans who think their team is better than it actually is. I've seen us lose 3 times at Goodison so I've got very low expectations. It's when I have high expectations that Saints normally let me down. Having Romeu back will make a big difference IMO. 

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaintBitterne said:

The fact we never win at goodison or win on the first game of the season... Hopefully these two negatives colide into a 2-0 Saints win.

I expect that one may get moved for TV with the new Everton Manager inbound..

To be honest it couldn’t have worked out better, it’s all contained in one fixture and not two !

Very tough start, but looking through the list, I think it's more a realisation that we're not very good, and can't compete financially with any but about 4/5 clubs.

It certainly could be a long season.  Would be big to get something at Everton opening day, with them having a new manager.

Will be competing with Palace, Burnley, Norwich, Watford and Brentford for bottom 3 positions....think Brighton will have enough with their new £25m striker