2021/22 Fixtures

Wurzel

33 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If we didn’t sack Ralph after losing 15 out of 21, or whatever it was, I doubt we’ll do it for not winning 5 or 8. Anyway, look on the bright side, we never win our opening fixture or our trip to Goodison. Now we’ve managed to consolidate the two into one convenient defeat, it frees up another game we might get a draw from.

Have Everton appointed a new manager yet? 

I'm going to try and be optimistic and suggest that the best time to play the so-called best sides is at the start of the season, especially after a summer of international competition.

Even so. That's a tricky start and a far from easy run in at the end of the season. Oh dear, I'm already feeling a rush of pessimism.🥴

Not a very nice start, could be like 2012/13 repairing a poor start. First six out of seven not games Saints have good history in. Gets better after that. Ralph could be under huge pressure quickly unless Saints can pull off a couple of upsets from somewhere. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/scores-fixtures/2021-08

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

That's a pretty horrendous start for a team that never starts well anyway. I can't see us winning until late October. 

1) Ground we never win (last win in 90 mins back in 1997) at with new manager bounce and fans back in

2) Team we concede against for fun 

3) Ground we never win at (won 1 of last SEVENTEEN trips)

4) West Ham before their EL campaign kick-offs

5) Man City away

Don't really need to go on. Hey, I may be pleasantly surprised....:)

Edited by Saint_lambden

Just now, Saint_lambden said:

That's a pretty horrendous start. I can't see us winning until late October. 

1) Ground we never win (last win in 90 mins back in 1997) at with new manager bounce and fans back in

5) Man City away

Don't really need to go on.

Past results are irrelevant.  How is our game we had at Goodison Park in 1998 or 2002 or 2004 going to impact how well Che Adams or others do many years later?

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Very tough start, but looking through the list, I think it's more a realisation that we're not very good, and can't compete financially with any but about 4/5 clubs.

It certainly could be a long season.  Would be big to get something at Everton opening day, with them having a new manager.

Will be competing with Palace, Burnley, Norwich, Watford and Brentford for bottom 3 positions....think Brighton will have enough with their new £25m striker

I think we are still just as good as Brighton, wolves, and Newcastle on top of that lot. Not a long way behind Leeds and Villa too imo. If we retain Danny and JWP and sign a decent lb we are on par with the above imo. Then it's just the big 6, West ham, Everton and Leicester above us, which is reasonable imo. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Very tough start, but looking through the list, I think it's more a realisation that we're not very good, and can't compete financially with any but about 4/5 clubs.

Yep agree with this - almost every fixture looks tough except for the 3 new promoted sides, Burnley, Brighton, Palace and Newcastle.

Beyond the big 6, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Villa, Leeds are all big clubs we would have to compete with for a top 10 spot.

I'm going to stick my neck out somewhat though and predict Wolves won't be as good next season, can see them occupying a bottom 6 position. 

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Yep agree with this - almost every fixture looks tough except for the 3 new promoted sides, Burnley, Brighton, Palace and Newcastle.

Beyond the big 6, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Villa, Leeds are all big clubs we would have to compete with for a top 10 spot.

I'm going to stick my neck out somewhat though and predict Wolves won't be as good next season, can see them occupying a bottom 6 position. 

Think a lot with Wolves, will depend on the future of Neves, and the situation with Jiminez / new striker.  If they can get Jiminez back fit, (i have no idea what his situation is) or buy a replacement for him who is decent, I think they should be comfortably ok. New manager though, who knows.

Realistically, Brighton were a decent side last year, who couldnt stick it in the goal.  If they sort that out, they'll finish above us.

Newcastle, again who knows. Massive club, were expected to struggle last season, and finished 11th. You do always feel like they could implode at any moment though.

Watford will splash the cash as they always do.  Burnley are always pretty solid but Palace are a mess atm.  Going to be a tough season if we aren't able to invest properly this summer. Should have enough to stay up if we keep Ings and JWP though, as long as we learn to defend this summer.

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think a lot with Wolves, will depend on the future of Neves, and the situation with Jiminez / new striker.  If they can get Jiminez back fit, (i have no idea what his situation is) or buy a replacement for him who is decent, I think they should be comfortably ok. New manager though, who knows.

Realistically, Brighton were a decent side last year, who couldnt stick it in the goal.  If they sort that out, they'll finish above us.

Newcastle, again who knows. Massive club, were expected to struggle last season, and finished 11th. You do always feel like they could implode at any moment though.

Watford will splash the cash as they always do.  Burnley are always pretty solid but Palace are a mess atm.  Going to be a tough season if we aren't able to invest properly this summer. Should have enough to stay up if we keep Ings and JWP though, as long as we learn to defend this summer.

Brighton are an interesting one. If they lose Bissouma, White, and/or Potter they could really struggle. They have a very weak squad imo which is performing well over their quality due to a good manager. If Potter does end up at Everton, as has been linked, then I don't know how well they would do, similarly if they lose a key player or two. 

Don't think it would have mattered what the fixtures looked like, after the end of the season we had any fixture looks tough at the moment. On the flip side, if we do somehow banish the Goodison / opening day hoodoo, the fixtures will be viewed differently. 

• Like 1

New Year's Eve in town might be fun with a load of Geordies down for the night.

No silly midweek aways so far, just Palace and Spurs. I guess some will get moved to Monday or Friday though (are Friday night games still a thing?)

Intrigued by the optimism. I guess the last three months of our season is fading from memory now the sun is out. As things stand, we are weaker than we were at the season's end, having lost Bertrand and probably Vestergaard .It's going to take a lot of canny dealing before I can work up enthusiasm or even hope.

1 hour ago, Saint_lambden said:

That's a pretty horrendous start for a team that never starts well anyway. I can't see us winning until late October. 

5) Man City away

Don't really need to go on. Hey, I may be pleasantly surprised....:)

It's good to be a realist and expect one point from those games, obvious hope for more but you're less likely to be disappointed that way. 

26 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Intrigued by the optimism. I guess the last three months of our season is fading from memory now the sun is out. As things stand, we are weaker than we were at the season's end, having lost Bertrand and probably Vestergaard .It's going to take a lot of canny dealing before I can work up enthusiasm or even hope.

Is there optimism? Must have missed that.

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Hideous start. Be amazed if Ralph is still here in October. Could easily pick up no wins first 8 games

I'd say the opposite actually.

Those fixtures are probably his one saving grace.

Only the deluded of the deluded would expect us to get a run of results out of that start.

That's his job safe until Xmas I'd say.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Past results are irrelevant.  How is our game we had at Goodison Park in 1998 or 2002 or 2004 going to impact how well Che Adams or others do many years later?

How do you know it doesn't? 

Very tough start. We'll do well to squeeze 5 points from the opening eight matches. Hopefully some others will find it just as tough. How long will Ralph be given if we are bottom at the beginning of October? Our only hope may be a couple of surprise world class signings in July otherwise if we start with substantially the same squad that ended last season so poorly then our luck may finally have run out.

Never been less optimistic for a new season.

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I'd say the opposite actually.

Those fixtures are probably his one saving grace.

Only the deluded of the deluded would expect us to get a run of results out of that start.

That's his job safe until Xmas I'd say.

See where you're coming from, but there are ways to lose and there are other ways to lose.  Even if the points don't materialise, the very least you expect to see is decent tactics executed by a committed team backed up by good use of subs.  If we get smashed a few times and are around the bottom of the table then he would be luck to get to Christmas.  Desperately hoping for some decent summer transfer business, but expectations are set pretty low to be honest.

No one has been able to give a good reason why it does.

Dozens and dozens of studies into behavioural sciences found that past behaviour strongly influences future behaviour and events.

The cliché of "the past doesn't equal the future" is a myth.

The past predicts future events more often than not.

NB: no I'm not going to dig those studies up, you can find them yourself on Google, have a look, make a cuppa and dunk a biscuit and chew it over.

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Dozens and dozens of studies into behavioural sciences found that past behaviour strongly influences future behaviour and events.

The cliché of "the past doesn't equal the future" is a myth.

The past predicts future events more often than not.

NB: no I'm not going to dig those studies up, you can find them yourself on Google, have a look, make a cuppa and dunk a biscuit and chew it over.

It isn't their own past behaviour. Most of our squad would struggle to name players we had in 1998 vs Everton, let alone the scoreline or what happened in the game.

32 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't their own past behaviour. Most of our squad would struggle to name players we had in 1998 vs Everton, let alone the scoreline or what happened in the game.

How do you know that?

34 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I know it doesn't make sense. But why have we not won at Arsenal since 1987? Them being better is a main factor. But in that time we have won a number of times at teams better than us like Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea

3 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I know it doesn't make sense. But why have we not won at Arsenal since 1987? Them being better is a main factor. But in that time we have won a number of times at teams better than us like Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea

We have in the cup 🙂

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

A "behaviour" can be an event or a pattern, if you like.

I thought that would have been reasonably obvious ffs.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

But if the players aren't aware of the past events it is completely irrelevant to current events and has no bearing.

How do you know they aren’t aware? Have you spoken to each and every one of them individually? Have they explicitly told you they aren’t aware of our past results? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SKD said:

As things stand, having looked at that; I honestly think this could be the season we drop. 

A very tough start and pretty tough end means we’ll need to pick up points over Christmas and January, where we always seem to be crap. 

Worried. 

You  said that about last season as well tbf. 

• Haha 1

But if the players aren't aware of the past events it is completely irrelevant to current events and has no bearing.

Let me tell you this, I've been to Goodison Park for Everton away about 20 or so times, whether we're on a good run, poor run, high in the league or in the relegation  zone, play well or play badly it doesn't matter, the football Gods conspire to ensure we don't win there. It's one of those things you're going to have to one day accept. Especially if Benitez is soaking up the adulation of the Gladys st end in his first game in charge we'll oblige as comfortable opponents. 

We've won there twice in last 47 years 

Edited by JRM

I don't think the fixture list is massively different from last season to be honest, I wouldn't say we have 'hellish' runs with top 6 teams one after the other, it's kind of spread out in that sense. The start is made more difficult by the away games against the teams we 'should' beat, if they were at home it would look better in my opinion. But that may be counteracted by the home games against Leeds, West Ham, Wolves etc - which are dooable.

I think we're looking at this fixture list in a totally different light compared to last year - after we finished the previous season so well. At the end of the day you play everyone twice and that's what it is. If we're not good enough to compete then we go down, simples. Doesn't matter when you play them.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think the fixture list is massively different from last season to be honest, I wouldn't say we have 'hellish' runs with top 6 teams one after the other, it's kind of spread out in that sense. The start is made more difficult by the away games against the teams we 'should' win, if they were at home it would look better in my opinion.

I think we're looking at this fixture list in a totally different light compared to last year - after we finished the previous season so well. At the end of the day you play everyone twice and that's what it is. If we're not good enough to compete then we go down, simples. Doesn't matter when you play them.

There's no place for that sort of reasonable post on here. What were you thinking?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think the fixture list is massively different from last season to be honest, I wouldn't say we have 'hellish' runs with top 6 teams one after the other, it's kind of spread out in that sense. The start is made more difficult by the away games against the teams we 'should' beat, if they were at home it would look better in my opinion. But that may be counteracted by the home games against Leeds, West Ham, Wolves etc - which are dooable.

Well said