January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

We’d overlook all the cringe that comes with Lingard if he had the same return here that he had with West Ham. 

But, if he’s going again this January, then West Ham will 100% be in for him again and they’re a more attractive destination than we are. Not sure about Newcastle, but they will be able to cover more of his wages, which I guess was the key reason why he stayed at Manchester United in the summer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

We’d overlook all the cringe that comes with Lingard if he had the same return here that he had with West Ham. 

But, if he’s going again this January, then West Ham will 100% be in for him again and they’re a more attractive destination than we are. Not sure about Newcastle, but they will be able to cover more of his wages, which I guess was the key reason why he stayed at Manchester United in the summer. 

Pogba taught him everything he knows .. you watch the bellendness of pogba you get lingard.. period ! 

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Pogba taught him everything he knows .. you watch the bellendness of pogba you get lingard.. period ! 

Roy Keane talks about who you'd want next to you 'in the trenches' when it comes to the big or tough games and he's got a point. When one of your midfielders gets a new haircut every time United are on TV, but sulks because he's not allowed to wear the earrings to go with it and another midfielder has the coolest TikTok videos in year 11, it raises a few questions about their collective mentality.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Roy Keane talks about who you'd want next to you 'in the trenches' when it comes to the big or tough games and he's got a point. When one of your midfielders gets a new haircut every time United are on TV, but sulks because he's not allowed to wear the earrings to go with it and another midfielder has the coolest TikTok videos in year 11, it raises a few questions about their collective mentality.

Exactly that .. the image and ego has rubbed off massively on lingard .. from stupid handshakes to Tik tok dance moves .. even when he scored for France not long ago .. my nipper was hiding behind his pillow cringing saying .. oh no dad he’s only gone and done the woah !! Creased up I was like wot the fuck was that !! .. my boy said Roy Keane will rip him a new one wen he sees this …

11 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Seems harmless enough to me, just a bit of fun - we were all young once! I've always liked him as a player and it would be a criminal waste of a career to spend the rest of it on the bench at Man U. Agree though that West Ham is the obvious destination - he really should have gone there over the summer, as it was clear he was enjoying his time there. Wouldn't say no if we went in for him though but can't see it happening.

Can't see us competing with Newcastle or West Ham, on wages or current ambition, if we are even in the mix with them:
Lingard: "So, do you see the club competing regularly for a European spot and, at least, matching my current wages?"
Saints: "Well, no but the number 14 shirt is free and we do have a great social media team to help with your TikToks..."

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

10 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Exactly that .. the image and ego has rubbed off massively on lingard .. from stupid handshakes to Tik tok dance moves .. even when he scored for France not long ago .. my nipper was hiding behind his pillow cringing saying .. oh no dad he’s only gone and done the woah !! Creased up I was like wot the fuck was that !! .. my boy said Roy Keane will rip him a new one wen he sees this …

Thing is, Pogba was France's best player when they won the world cup. I think he just hates United deep down, and can't be bothered to perform for them. Legitimate reasons to criticise that stance too, but there's no getting away from the fact that he's dominated games on the biggest stage in the world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Thing is, Pogba was France's best player when they won the world cup. I think he just hates United deep down, and can't be bothered to perform for them. Legitimate reasons to criticise that stance too, but there's no getting away from the fact that he's dominated games on the biggest stage in the world.

Just think he has more time on the ball on the international stage gets his head up and can conduct his range of Passing the ball .. over here just doesn’t get the time before he’s clattered .. it’s part of our game a lot of foreigners can’t deal with … why messi swerved coming here .. why tadic fucked off to Ajax! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Just think he has more time on the ball on the international stage gets his head up and can conduct his range of Passing the ball .. over here just doesn’t get the time before he’s clattered .. it’s part of our game a lot of foreigners can’t deal with … why messi swerved coming here .. why tadic fucked off to Ajax! 

He also has Kante mopping up everything behind him, which gives him the freedom to do the "insta" stuff.  Give him time and space and he's a quality player, stick him under pressure and he will constantly give you the ball back.

• Like 1

Seeing some links, albeit rather tenuous, to Arthur Cabral, the prolific 23 year old Brazilian striker at Basel.  Seems very much a Broja 'type' so unlikely whilst he is on loan at Saints, but perhaps El Gorilla has put a word in about the earthly paradise that is Ocean Village.  

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 09:38, Saint Garrett said:

He also has Kante mopping up everything behind him, which gives him the freedom to do the "insta" stuff.  Give him time and space and he's a quality player, stick him under pressure and he will constantly give you the ball back.

One theory is that he needs an experienced head alongside him to tell him what to do and where to stand. He has that at France and had it at Juve 

10 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Sheff Utd, fucking how much!!!?

They did actually spend some big $$ in their time in the PL. Sander Berge, I think he was £30m, and then £25 on  Brewster, £20m on Ollie McBurnie, £20m on Ramsdale etc.

It's fair to say they had an absolute nightmare with those, but they did have a go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Sheff Utd, fucking how much!!!?

They pissed a lot up the wall on McBurnie, Brewster and Ramsdale. To be fair, I think they made a profit on Ramsdale, which won’t be accounted for. But they’ll have to flog the other two for free with just the one Championship goal between them this season.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They did actually spend some big $$ in their time in the PL. Sander Berge, I think he was £30m, and then £25 on  Brewster, £20m on Ollie McBurnie, £20m on Ramsdale etc.

It's fair to say they had an absolute nightmare with those, but they did have a go.

£20m on Ollie McBurnie 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Jeez, that's a proper pile of shite. Villa's quarter of a billion hasn't got them much either. 

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The excessive and unsuccessful spending is why Chris Wilder isn't very popular amongst Sheff Utd fans despite the two promotions.

11 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

People have a weird view of this league. Plenty of good technical players thrive here. It's not the Roy Keane and Vinny Jones days anymore. 

Pogba hasn't done that well because Utd have been a mess since he joined. Too often managers and the media expect him to be some physical box to box midfielder all about strength and power (I wonder why) when in reality he's more of a Zidane or De Bruyne type. Utd started the season with him slightly wide as Greenwood was up front and Rashford was injured and he broke the assists record. He was excellent for Juventus in a similar role. He is good for France as he's not the one being relied on to defend. That's not a criticism, you just that to accept he's an attacking player and play to those strengths. 

The ego, social media stuff and lifestyle, well that's true of countless millionaire footballers. It just seems to wind people up far more with certain players. 

Series A and international football are snails pace compared to the prem .. agree tho he’s an attacking midfielder and played out of position but can play anyway across the middle …he never gets his head up for manure ..forever being Caught out showboating or fixing is hair !

2 hours ago, adriansfc said:

The pace depends on the opposition. It's not a snails pace against Atalanta. I think football got too tactically diverse some time ago to categorise leagues much. Same way in the premier league there are plenty of different styles, depends if you're playing Burnley or Saints or Leicester etc.

But Pogba has performed in this league when played in the right position. Thought his best was with Rashford and Lukaku in the team a few years ago but they quickly ditched that. Too often he's just forced into strict CM roles. It's like putting Le Tissier at holding midfield or listening to his medical advice. Pure madness. 

I wonder if he’ll stay at manure now ole’s not at the wheel .. poch being bookies fav .. my guess is he’ll go to Madrid in the summer or even Paris if poch goes manure and zidane to Paris .. poch likes hard work and pressing .. gruelling training sessions .. not sure pogba fits that description! Great passing and vision tho can’t take that from the guy !

4 hours ago, adriansfc said:

The pace depends on the opposition. It's not a snails pace against Atalanta. I think football got too tactically diverse some time ago to categorise leagues much. Same way in the premier league there are plenty of different styles, depends if you're playing Burnley or Saints or Leicester etc.

But Pogba has performed in this league when played in the right position. Thought his best was with Rashford and Lukaku in the team a few years ago but they quickly ditched that. Too often he's just forced into strict CM roles. It's like putting Le Tissier at holding midfield or listening to his medical advice. Pure madness. 

Napoli too - Serie A has moved on from the days of Football Italia on Channel 4.

Pogba is one of the world's best passers, but for some reason (upon which I won't speculate) a lot of English fans mistake him for Patrick Viera mk.2.

Edited by verlaine1979

I always find it hard to judge based on international youth caps. Obviously, there is the odd talent in there, but also a lot of the squad is made up with filler players with those who excel fast tracked through their age groups. Like, our very own longstanding goalkeeper Harry Lewis has an England Under-18 cap.

For a wider scope, and looking through the archives of the 2014-15 Under-18s squads, Callum Burton has 9 England youth caps, now the backup keeper at Plymouth at 25, Ted Smith has 9 England youth caps, now retired at 24 after being released by Southend and Sam Howes, 3 youth caps, plays for Horsham. There are successes like Pickford, Woodman and Ramsdale, but a lot of these players also fade into obscurity. 

We've been burned previously off the top of my head by Angus Gunn (26 England youth caps) and Lee Molyneux (18 England youth caps).

Of course, if he does sign then I hope he's a success with him also being a Saints fans. We do need a new Sam Vokes, who gets linked to us every window because they're a fan. But, I wouldn't judge his quality based on how many youth caps he has and would hope that he's more of a Simeu signing.

Linked to Brereton (in the Sun) today, along with Seville. I think Leeds have also been linked - he's out of contract in the summer, scoring goals for fun, so his name is going to be a permanent fixture in the gossip columns.

I posted about him a few times a couple of years ago. He looked a very good prospect at Forest, despite scoring fuck all goals. He was very young to be fair and led the line well in the games that I watched. He looked strong, had a nice touch and the ability to bring others into play. Since moving to Blackburn, he's discovered where the net is. I have to admit I have not seen him play for them, but if there are goals to go with his all round game, that would make him a decent player. 

Anyone seen much of him for Blackburn? 

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Linked to Brereton (in the Sun) today, along with Seville. I think Leeds have also been linked - he's out of contract in the summer, scoring goals for fun, so his name is going to be a permanent fixture in the gossip columns.

I posted about him a few times a couple of years ago. He looked a very good prospect at Forest, despite scoring fuck all goals. He was very young to be fair and led the line well in the games that I watched. He looked strong, had a nice touch and the ability to bring others into play. Since moving to Blackburn, he's discovered where the net is. I have to admit I have not seen him play for them, but if there are goals to go with his all round game, that would make him a decent player. 

Anyone seen much of him for Blackburn? 

I remember seeing him play for Forest against Arsenal in the FA Cup a few years back, he must have only been about 18 or 19, he looked excellent. He's scoring a lot of goals this season but only got 7 in 40 last season and before that never scored more than 5 league goals in a season. He is still only 22 though so maybe he's just beginning to blossom. I notice he's now called Ben Brereton Diaz as well....

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I remember seeing him play for Forest against Arsenal in the FA Cup a few years back, he must have only been about 18 or 19, he looked excellent. He's scoring a lot of goals this season but only got 7 in 40 last season and before that never scored more than 5 league goals in a season. He is still only 22 though so maybe he's just beginning to blossom. I notice he's now called Ben Brereton Diaz as well....

Another one from Blackburn eh?..................did he play with Armstrong anyone know?

1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

Another one from Blackburn eh?..................did he play with Armstrong anyone know?

yes. They played together last season. Armstrong got all the goals. Since joining us Brereton has filled the void scoring a hatful.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I notice he's now called Ben Brereton Diaz as well....

think he's a bit of a star in Chile.

Got to feel a little bit for Blackburn, another striker only finding top form when about to complete their contract, meaning they don't get top dollar for them. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

think he's a bit of a star in Chile.

Got to feel a little bit for Blackburn, another striker only finding top form when about to complete their contract, meaning they don't get top dollar for them. 

To be honest judging by Armstrong so far this season, you could make the argument that we overpaid for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

To be honest judging by Armstrong so far this season, you could make the argument that we overpaid for him.

52 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

People were saying the same about Che in his first season, but he's now justifying his £15m, which isn't a huge amount these days

both feel like `bottom half of the Prem' type strikers to me. They have ability, can hold their own at this level, but haven't really set the world on fire in so much as the top half the table teams would likely want to buy them from us. £15m ish feels about right for that kind of striker. It's not peanuts, but its not serious money (at this level) either.

• Like 2