January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think sometimes strikers go on baron runs, things don't work out, they get in their own head etc. It happens to the best of them. If they start looking completely anonymous in games thats when you should worry, if they keep getting a tonne of chances and don't put them away then I think at some point that luck will turn. You see it time and time again.

He doesn't really play the same role as Che imo, they are pretty much opposed in every way which is why they are a good pair. One is really fast, smart runner, very two footed, and in his previous role a pretty good finisher (form will come in my opinion), the other is is strong, intelligent, and an excellent passer as well as being very powerful as a runner. I have faith both will be great together as soon as Armstrong's finishing gets back to its level he exhibited previously. He has put away two great finishes already this season so I am hopeful personally.

Broja is good, but way way overrated on here unfortunately. He is a good "fox in the box" who gets the ball in decent spots and his finishing is good but he adds little else tbh. He doesn't drop deep and spread play like Armstrong does, he doesn't have the power which Che does, and he can't really dribble like the other two. Firm player, but more an impact sub for us in my opinion. If he goes for £60m+ I'd be very shocked personally. He is also tall and can head the ball which is handy when we are chasing the game and need a different option, last season when we wanted that we would have Vestergaard pretend to be a striker for the last 5 mins when chasing a game, nice to have an actual striker provide that change of pace now.

is that where they suddenly have delusions of grandeur and think they're part of the nobility?  I've never thought about it before but I suppose that could explain a lack of goals.  I'm assuming there's a stat for this 😏

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

is that where they suddenly have delusions of grandeur and think they're part of the nobility?  I've never thought about it before but I suppose that could explain a lack of goals.  I'm assuming there's a stat for this 😏

Haha fair enough. I'm bad at spelling, admittedly.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Haha fair enough. I'm bad at spelling, admittedly.

No, the more I think about it the more I feel you could be right.  I mean if a cross comes in and Adam Armstrong is in prime position but he's more concerned about kicking off the war of the roses again then it's hardly surprising if he misses.  Trouble is I'm not sure how you would eliminate this from his game.  I bet our black box doesn't highlight strikers who become convinced of their noble heritage.  Probably needs an upgrade.

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

No, the more I think about it the more I feel you could be right.  I mean if a cross comes in and Adam Armstrong is in prime position but he's more concerned about kicking off the war of the roses again then it's hardly surprising if he misses.  Trouble is I'm not sure how you would eliminate this from his game.  I bet our black box doesn't highlight strikers who become convinced of their noble heritage.  Probably needs an upgrade.

Easy to address though, add in xAL (expected aristocratic lineage) to the process.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

We sing "James Ward Prowse my Lord", so it's not suprising that he may think himself as aristocratic...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

Odd, aside from Tino I'd say he looks like the most dangerous runner with the ball at his feet that we've got.

Game of opinions n'all that.

It is indeed. I think our best dribblers probably go:

1) Tino (no contest for me)

2) Djenepo (Can beat multiple players with his tricks and step overs, shame he has the end product of a Victoria sponge cake)

3) A. Armstrong (So so rapid, and the ball absolutely sticks to his foot. Have seen multiple times where I think he's about to lose it in the box in a congested situation and he dribbles out)

4) S. Armstrong (Great great dribbler when on form, can wander through a team, not on form as much yet this season hence his dropping down the list)

5) Adams (Powerful and intelligent dribbler, can plow through players, at villa had two dribbles where he beat two men easily to progress play)

Diallo probably is an honourable mention, as is KWP.

For those wondering our players listed in order of numbers of players dribbled past per 90 is:

image.thumb.png.2ed637d391c1b11345633f42e2d67b04.png

Looks like I should have included Diallo and KWP as well as Redmond. Obviously this doesn't take into account the quality of the dribble (ie how hard the def was to beat) but I think it is interesting. S. Armstrong is lower but was quite high last season iirc

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Interesting Perraud is so low as he was one of the best attacking left backs in the French league last year apparently. Hopefully settles in and starts showing that form.

Yeah, but if he's playing for us, he's got Tino bombing forward on the other side, which means they both can't bomb forward. We do play with a preference to play down the right.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Interesting Perraud is so low as he was one of the best attacking left backs in the French league last year apparently. Hopefully settles in and starts showing that form.

I think he's not as much the dribbling type, even in france, he tended to pass round players to get in a good position to cross. 

13 hours ago, TWar said:

It is indeed. I think our best dribblers probably go:

1) Tino (no contest for me)

2) Djenepo (Can beat multiple players with his tricks and step overs, shame he has the end product of a Victoria sponge cake)

3) A. Armstrong (So so rapid, and the ball absolutely sticks to his foot. Have seen multiple times where I think he's about to lose it in the box in a congested situation and he dribbles out)

4) S. Armstrong (Great great dribbler when on form, can wander through a team, not on form as much yet this season hence his dropping down the list)

5) Adams (Powerful and intelligent dribbler, can plow through players, at villa had two dribbles where he beat two men easily to progress play)

Diallo probably is an honourable mention, as is KWP.

For those wondering our players listed in order of numbers of players dribbled past per 90 is:

image.thumb.png.2ed637d391c1b11345633f42e2d67b04.png

Looks like I should have included Diallo and KWP as well as Redmond. Obviously this doesn't take into account the quality of the dribble (ie how hard the def was to beat) but I think it is interesting. S. Armstrong is lower but was quite high last season iirc

What is the source of that data?  Would be interested in looking in more detail at some of those stats

Cheers

15 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Indeed, he has named Southampton, Crystal Palace and Burnley as the clubs his agent had spoken to prior to agreeing a deal with Watford, amid reported interest from clubs in France as well.

Agent to SFC: "could I interest you in my client, a goalkjeeper name of ..."

SFC: "nah, fuck off, he's shit".

There, his agent has spoken to us. Doesn't indicate a modicum of interest though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League-club-spend-transfers-FFP-rules.html

We have the worst spend capability in the league outside of Villa and Everton. #TheLesLegacy

I really am surprised at that given our net spend.

I'd have thought with the amount of player trading we do and the profits we make on players almost fully amortised would have put us in a better stead than depicted by the table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Agent to SFC: "could I interest you in my client, a goalkjeeper name of ..."

SFC: "nah, fuck off, he's shit".

There, his agent has spoken to us. Doesn't indicate a modicum of interest though.

Wish Rupert had said that when we were offered Tommy Fourpast. The goalkeeping coach told him to do so but was ignored..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

I'd have thought with the amount of player trading we do and the profits we make on players almost fully amortised would have put us in a better stead than depicted by the table.

It’s based over 10 years - which may explain some of it. 

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Wish Rupert had said that when we were offered Tommy Fourpast. The goalkeeping coach told him to do so but was ignored..

Thinking about this, and Fourpast really must rank just behind Ali Dia as one of our most comical signings of all time.

Pulis Jnr worth a mention.

None as expensive a flop as Carillo though to be fair to them all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

44 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

It’s based over 10 years - which may explain some of it. 

Whilst the article does keep talking about the past 10 years it does also state that the period of time taken into account for FFP is 3 years. So I don't think the 10 year thing has anything to do with it.

I do, however, believe that the figure quoted for Saints is far lower than the reality will prove (i.e. that we will be able to spend more than the 37m quoted without breaking FFP rules - not that we have the means to do so, of course, so all a bit moot). My reasoning for this is:

The article clearly states that the sums shown are for the upcoming January transfer window. It also states that only Man Utd have so far published 2021 accounts, and that all other club's figures could (I believe that should be will) change when theirs are also released. The January window spending should be based on profits/losses made from January 2019 to January 2022. The article is primarily basing its figures on profit/loss from 2017-2020. FFP states that clubs can make a rolling loss of 105m over a 3 year period. By the article stating we can only spend a further 37m they are indicating that we have 3 year rolling loss of 68m. Now, I don't know if this is true or not (I am sure there are some on here who are more knowledgeable in this regard) but, just looking at transfers alone, feel this is highly weighted against us by our transfer spending in the 2018/19 season. That year we spent around 77m on 5 players (Che, Ings, Gunn, Vest and Moussa). However 2 of those (Vest and Gunn) were in the summer of 2018, so that combined 28m won't (or shouldn't, by my reckoning) count in January. On the contrary, from January 1st that year, we sold players to the value of around 33.5m. Going by those figures alone, come January, we should be around 61.5m better towards FFP than the article has us at present - meaning we should be able to spend 98.5m to stay within FFP, which sounds far more reasonable to me. (From all subsequent transfer windows we have made a profit of around 6/7m in player trading. So if we are only able to spend 37m in January, as the article states, it would mean we have made a pre-tax loss of 73/74m without player trading. If my figures are correct that would be reduced to around 2-3m in losses. Seeing as we are supposedly being run in a self-sustaining way, I would say this is probably more accurate. The only reason I think of their figures being more accurate is the loan we took out, but that shouldn't come into play as it repayable yet).

As I said, all moot in any event. I think we probably only have around 10m to spend in January. We possibly could push the boat out a bit further, but will be surprised if we even spend that much - or anything at all. We don't really do January incomings. Maybe an incoming loan at best.

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

Whilst the article does keep talking about the past 10 years it does also state that the period of time taken into account for FFP is 3 years. So I don't think the 10 year thing has anything to do with it.

I do, however, believe that the figure quoted for Saints is far lower than the reality will prove (i.e. that we will be able to spend more than the 37m quoted without breaking FFP rules - not that we have the means to do so, of course, so all a bit moot). My reasoning for this is:

The article clearly states that the sums shown are for the upcoming January transfer window. It also states that only Man Utd have so far published 2021 accounts, and that all other club's figures could (I believe that should be will) change when theirs are also released. The January window spending should be based on profits/losses made from January 2019 to January 2022. The article is primarily basing its figures on profit/loss from 2017-2020. FFP states that clubs can make a rolling loss of 105m over a 3 year period. By the article stating we can only spend a further 37m they are indicating that we have 3 year rolling loss of 68m. Now, I don't know if this is true or not (I am sure there are some on here who are more knowledgeable in this regard) but, just looking at transfers alone, feel this is highly weighted against us by our transfer spending in the 2018/19 season. That year we spent around 77m on 5 players (Che, Ings, Gunn, Vest and Moussa). However 2 of those (Vest and Gunn) were in the summer of 2018, so that combined 28m won't (or shouldn't, by my reckoning) count in January. On the contrary, from January 1st that year, we sold players to the value of around 33.5m. Going by those figures alone, come January, we should be around 61.5m better towards FFP than the article has us at present - meaning we should be able to spend 98.5m to stay within FFP, which sounds far more reasonable to me. (From all subsequent transfer windows we have made a profit of around 6/7m in player trading. So if we are only able to spend 37m in January, as the article states, it would mean we have made a pre-tax loss of 73/74m without player trading. If my figures are correct that would be reduced to around 2-3m in losses. Seeing as we are supposedly being run in a self-sustaining way, I would say this is probably more accurate. The only reason I think of their figures being more accurate is the loan we took out, but that shouldn't come into play as it repayable yet).

As I said, all moot in any event. I think we probably only have around 10m to spend in January. We possibly could push the boat out a bit further, but will be surprised if we even spend that much - or anything at all. We don't really do January incomings. Maybe an incoming loan at best.

Cool - TBH I couldn’t be bothered to read it all - won’t change the fact that MC will spunk another £100m on a player within the next 6 months or less and still be ok FFP wise. As for THFC having £400m to spend? I would have thought the cost of the stadium would have been the most pressing thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Cool - TBH I couldn’t be bothered to read it all - won’t change the fact that MC will spunk another £100m on a player within the next 6 months or less and still be ok FFP wise. As for THFC having £400m to spend? I would have thought the cost of the stadium would have been the most pressing thing.

Yep, it's all pretty crazy - and far from being financially fair......

22 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Yep, it's all pretty crazy - and far from being financially fair......

Stadium costs are not taken into account in ffp rules. If you recall Spurs had one year where they spent absolutely nothing in a summer transfer window so probably explains that figure.

23 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Pulis Jr is one of those things that happen, they get a career due to their name. Ridiculous he was at Saints but he never played. 

Dia just summed up that era of small squads, no money and no internet to quickly check a player's background. Absolutely ridiculous it happened even then, but Souness was always having trialists there and players we'd never heard of. Wasn't like now when half a forum have managed them on football manager of FIFA and seen 50 youtube videos. 

But Forecast must be our worst signing in terms of the quality of the player? I remember seeing him in a friendly and saying he wasn't even conference standard. It was so obvious that I can't imagine what any scouts thought. Did they just not watch? Did someone get bribed to sign him? Must be more to it. How he even made it to Spurs youth team is a mystery. He got rich with zero footballing talent. I remember a friend seeing him play Conference South games on loan and he was way off that standard too and quickly got dropped. Think he dropped a few leagues below that and wasn't heard of again. 

Agreed, but Pulis was equally totally out of his depth and if ever there was a sign of a dodgy deal it was that with that lad and his Dad. I thought Pulis Snr was a good manager and passionate about the game, so it must have been painful seeing his Son watch every game pass him by.

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

Pulis Jr is one of those things that happen, they get a career due to their name. Ridiculous he was at Saints but he never played. 

Dia just summed up that era of small squads, no money and no internet to quickly check a player's background. Absolutely ridiculous it happened even then, but Souness was always having trialists there and players we'd never heard of. Wasn't like now when half a forum have managed them on football manager of FIFA and seen 50 youtube videos. 

But Forecast must be our worst signing in terms of the quality of the player? I remember seeing him in a friendly and saying he wasn't even conference standard. It was so obvious that I can't imagine what any scouts thought. Did they just not watch? Did someone get bribed to sign him? Must be more to it. How he even made it to Spurs youth team is a mystery. He got rich with zero footballing talent. I remember a friend seeing him play Conference South games on loan and he was way off that standard too and quickly got dropped. Think he dropped a few leagues below that and wasn't heard of again. 

On 13 August 2009, Forecast joined Grimsby Town on a one-month loan following an injury to Town's first-choice goalkeeper Nick Colgan.[8]Forecast made his full professional debut the following day for Grimsby against Crewe Alexandra in a 4–0 defeat, The Crewe Chronicledescribed Forecast's debut as "one of the most shockingly inept displays the Football League has ever seen".[

7 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

On 13 August 2009, Forecast joined Grimsby Town on a one-month loan following an injury to Town's first-choice goalkeeper Nick Colgan.[8]Forecast made his full professional debut the following day for Grimsby against Crewe Alexandra in a 4–0 defeat, The Crewe Chronicledescribed Forecast's debut as "one of the most shockingly inept displays the Football League has ever seen".[

Living up to his nickname of Fourpast then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adriansfc said:

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Living up to his nickname of Fourpast then.

Think it was the Grimsby fans who christened him Fourpast.

49 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

There's many reasons to dislike Spurs, but the Forecast deal real is net level shit. 

I can just imagine them all high fiving and popping corks as soon as the paperwork was signed. 

Someone on our staff was either on drugs or took a massive back hander. We gave up 25% sell on clause of Bale for that chump. WTF

Quite incredible but the guff on the official site said Spurs didn't want to release this prospect, and indicated he was in line for a England U21 call up imminently.

Found this:

Southampton Forecast looks good after snapping up rookie Spurs keeper

'I'm really pleased it's all sorted. It's taken a while to sort out because Tottenham did not really want to let me go,' he told Saints' official website.  

'There were a few clubs interested in me but as soon as I found out Southampton wanted me, my mind was made up.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1032846/Southampton-Forecast-looks-good-snapping-rookie-Spurs-keeper.html

Suspect Rupert thought he'd sell him on at a hefty profit in a couple of years, bit like he had done with Delgado I suppose.

From what Adkins said about everyone having had a role (in his analogy with Nasa putting a man on the moon) it seems Fourpast's contribution was as social secretary sorting out the parties.

You have to wonder how he got a pro contract at Spurs in the first place. He was 21 when we got him so he must have had at least 1 contract from them after graduating from the youth set up.

The whole thing is really bizarre.

I must be one of the only people who has seen all 3 of the terrible trio play for a Saints team. I was at Dia's game, saw Forecast let in 3 in 10 minutes in a friendly against Eastleigh and watched Pulis wander around the centre circle when the reserves played Havant once. 

Edited by The Cat

Basing my opinions entirely on Wikipedia, Pulis did at least get regular games in the lower leagues, whereas Forecast never managed to play anywhere. His best effort was some games in the third tier of US football.

Allegedly he did do well in the FA Youth Cup for Spurs

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

17 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

If we are genuinely interested in him then we have a chance. Broja isn't staying so can pitch it to him as he'll be the number 3 striker behind a front 2 of Armstrong and Che. Evidence will be on the table with Tino (and i think Small with a bit of luck / subject to fee agreement) that we will play him - and it means he doesn't nimage.gif.7309f2ef89fbb39ae10a6e77c672737c.gifeed to move abroad. 

On 12/11/2021 at 16:32, Badger said:

Thinking about this, and Fourpast really must rank just behind Ali Dia as one of our most comical signings of all time.

Pulis Jnr worth a mention.

None as expensive a flop as Carillo though to be fair to them all.

For me, Fourpast was the worst signing we ever made. My argument being that you need to consider it impacted on the monies and sell on from Bale, and weakened the squad at a time when we were about to implode financially. Dia cost us nothing and had no long term impact.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

For me, Fourpast was the worst signing we ever made. My argument being that you need to consider it impacted on the monies and sell on from Bale, and weakened the squad at a time when we were about to implode financially. Dia cost us nothing and had no long term impact.

Bale was sold by Spurs in 2013, when Saints had already finished their first season back in the Premier League so missing out on a sell on % had no impact on the financial problems we had leading upto administration in 2009.

I would be almost certain that the Forecast deal also involved a reasonable bag of cash heading in Saints direction, in exchange for Bale’s sell on fee. For all the criticism of Lowe, he was no fool when it came to money. He wouldn’t have given that sell on fee away just for a third choice ‘keeper we didn’t need. We would have needed that money to stay afloat for another few months, so I don’t think we particularly had much choice.

17 hours ago, adriansfc said:

But Forecast must be our worst signing in terms of the quality of the player? I remember seeing him in a friendly and saying he wasn't even conference standard. It was so obvious that I can't imagine what any scouts thought. Did they just not watch? Did someone get bribed to sign him? Must be more to it.

As I mentioned above the story I heard is that Rupert asked the goalkeeping coaches about him when he was offered as part of the Bale deal. They told him that Forecast was crap, and Rupert, I suspect not wanting to believe him because he wanted to do the deal, asked how he knew. "Because it's my job" replied the coach/scout.

The rest is history.. Mind you, you have a good point as to how he was ever offered a contract by Spurs: maybe early promise never materialised?

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Bale was sold by Spurs in 2013, when Saints had already finished their first season back in the Premier League so missing out on a sell on % had no impact on the financial problems we had leading upto administration in 2009.

My point is we took a reduced fee / sell on fee for bale in return for a player of zero value. That directly weakened us (financially / squad depth) going into the financial troubles that followed. Hence my view that forepast's signing contributed to a weakened financial situation and squad. Do you disagree? When you then add on the eventual sale of bale to Madrid it highlights what a terrible deal we made in selling Bale, and what a failure we made over the sell on clause. Only Carillo rivals it in recent years for money/potential wasted 🤷‍♂️ - (or shooting ourselves in the foot).

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why does one silly but ultimately harmless social media video from 2 years ago make him a bellend?

If you think a bloke in his mid twenties filming himself saying beans over and over again with some weird beatboxing isn’t the behaviour of a bellend then it says quite a lot about you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1