January 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

A lot will depend on where we are in the league, I suspect. It looks like we have some money left over from player trading this summer. Could we see some players coming in during January. Or maybe fringe players heading out on loan? Will we finally see the back of Shane Long? What about Fraser Forster - could he be pushing at the exit door by January? Could we try and make the Broja deal permanent?

28 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

A lot will depend on where we are in the league, I suspect. It looks like we have some money left over from player trading this summer. Could we see some players coming in during January. Or maybe fringe players heading out on loan? Will we finally see the back of Shane Long? What about Fraser Forster - could he be pushing at the exit door by January? Could we try and make the Broja deal permanent?

I don t think we have any money left at all.

The net spend will cover for part of last year s covid losses

7 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I don t think we have any money left at all.

The net spend will cover for part of last year s covid losses

Well, we have been told via Blackmore/Sheldon that we would have moved for a "number 6" (in real money a number 4 defensive midfielder) if the right opportunity came up.

So I don't think its accurate that we don't have any money left, from what has been briefed out.

Doesn't mean its a lot or that we will spend in Jan. But if we are 19th then I think we probably will do something. If we are 14th with no injuries probably not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcbendy said:

A lot will depend on where we are in the league, I suspect. It looks like we have some money left over from player trading this summer.

Could we see some players coming in during January NO.

Or maybe fringe players heading out on loan? NO

Will we finally see the back of Shane Long? NO

What about Fraser Forster - could he be pushing at the exit door by January? NO

Could we try and make the Broja deal permanent? NO

The answer to all rhetorical questions is "No"

You didn't expect an answer of course.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Just now, John Boy Saint said:

You forgot Sweeteners too

There was some chat about Ings getting £6m from Villa “for signing on the dotted line”, 

Wonder how much we had to wave under Lyancos nose to get him off Torinos bench to come here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bennyev said:

37m spent. 55m made.

18m disappears.

We've got to stop believing that all money is reinvested. Each position is weaker than last season.  

Monopoly mathematics.

”A deal worth up to…” does not meant the quoted amount has changed hands. It shouldn’t need to be repeated, but apparently it does, that agents’ fees and commissions and golden handshakes and Goode goodbyes eat up a lot of the exchanges.

Adam Crozier, who was CEO of the FA at the time, gave a talk to our referees’ meeting and mentioned Juan Pablo Ángel who had recently jouned Aston Villa for £9.5 million. He said that the selling club in Argentina only received about £1.5 million of that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Well, we have been told via Blackmore/Sheldon that we would have moved for a "number 6" (in real money a number 4 defensive midfielder) if the right opportunity came up.

So I don't think its accurate that we don't have any money left, from what has been briefed out.

Doesn't mean its a lot or that we will spend in Jan. But if we are 19th then I think we probably will do something. If we are 14th with no injuries probably not.

Chalobah of Watford? Did we not want to make an offer?

Ntcham of Celtic went to Swansea on a free!

Grimes of Swansea? We let them have Obafemi on almost a giveaway, and we didn't try to get Grimes?

Overall, good window, but we didn't grab a last minute deal.

Edited by the saint in winchester

3 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Grimes of Swansea? We let them have Obafemi on almost a giveaway, and we didn't try to get Grimes?

Suggests none of those were deemed as the right opportunity for the club.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I wouldn't have been particularly happy with any of those. I'd rather we wait for the right deal than lumber ourselves with more sub par crap, given we've only just cleared the majority of said crap from the past. Next summer we'll finally be free of the big earners that don't provide much value for money that were/are holding us back from assembling the squad we really want. 

1 hour ago, SFC Forever said:

Wonder if we are looking at out of contract players now.

Feels unlikely- the defensive midfielder thing us not a cast-iron cock up like the Caceres situation. It's something we can cope with (S Armstrong can cover etc).

We'd need injuries to two of Romeu,  JWP and Diallo for it really be a problem, and to be honest if we have that kind of injury crisis then we're screwed anyway.

On 01/09/2021 at 11:22, Whitey Grandad said:

Monopoly mathematics.

”A deal worth up to…” does not meant the quoted amount has changed hands. It shouldn’t need to be repeated, but apparently it does, that agents’ fees and commissions and golden handshakes and Goode goodbyes eat up a lot of the exchanges.

Adam Crozier, who was CEO of the FA at the time, gave a talk to our referees’ meeting and mentioned Juan Pablo Ángel who had recently jouned Aston Villa for £9.5 million. He said that the selling club in Argentina only received about £1.5 million of that.

You think we spunked 18m on agent fees, etc? What a load of rubbish. we’re hardly doing business with Riaola and Mendes. South American footballers are notorious for having tricky agent situations - meanwhile we’re hiring teens from Chelsea who’s contracts are close to being up. Hardly the same situation. 

The club spins PR and you lap it up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, bennyev said:

You think we spunked 18m on agent fees, etc? What a load of rubbish. we’re hardly doing business with Riaola and Mendes. South American footballers are notorious for having tricky agent situations - meanwhile we’re hiring teens from Chelsea who’s contracts are close to being up. Hardly the same situation. 

The club spins PR and you lap it up.

I didn’t actually say what you seem to think that I said. I gave an extreme example of the costs involved in transfer dealings and you accuse me of think that the same applies to our arrangements.

By your calculations the club must be sitting on £18m in their bank accounts and we all know that’s not true. Your figure if £18m is way off the mark anyway. You should never believe the amounts quoted in the media.

Exactly what ive been saying for ages when people keep questioning why we dont sign Romero. Likely because we dont want him, can get a better, younger keeper that we want. I thought y’day we may try a low Jan offer for him, I’d imagine they have been speaking to his agent also. Could have legs, this one.

9 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Exactly what ive been saying for ages when people keep questioning why we dont sign Romero. Likely because we dont want him, can get a better, younger keeper that we want. I thought y’day we may try a low Jan offer for him, I’d imagine they have been speaking to his agent also. Could have legs, this one.

Yep. I don't get all this Romero stuff. He's 34, hasn't played much, and will be on monster wages. Someone like Sam Johnstone is much more like it. Decent, experienced, and has years ahead of him. That Ralph alternated his keepers last year told us what he thinks of them, and as soon as we ditch Forster we'll be on the market. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Romero was just a(nother) pointless forum obsession. Just the absolutely zero appearances last season. Zero. But he played 15 times in 12/13 season or something so get him in get him in get him in. FFS.

Todays story is welcome as the previous Athletic positioning when McCarthy signed his extension was that next summer the club were targeting a young keeper to challenge McCarthy and replace eventually, another Gunn type if you will.

That sounded insane to me, but this story suggests that we are doing what we should be doing: signing an immediate number one for McCarthy to challenge.

Not an expert on this guy but I guess Crocker knows him well and it does feel we should be able to work on this in January ahead of the summer if needed.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. I don't get all this Romero stuff. He's 34, hasn't played much, and will be on monster wages. Someone like Sam Johnstone is much more like it. Decent, experienced, and has years ahead of him. That Ralph alternated his keepers last year told us what he thinks of them, and as soon as we ditch Forster we'll be on the market. 

Yep, i get why we kept on existing keeper on a new contract, either would be ok as 2nd choice, so I’m ok with McCarthy doing so.

I did wonder if Fraser moves on in Jan if we do this deal with SJ, maybe 6 month loan to WBA, with us paying most the wages.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Romero was just a(nother) pointless forum obsession. Just the absolutely zero appearances last season. Zero. But he played 15 times in 12/13 season or something so get him in get him in get him in. FFS.

Todays story is welcome as the previous Athletic positioning when McCarthy signed his extension was that next summer the club were targeting a young keeper to challenge McCarthy and replace eventually, another Gunn type if you will.

That sounded insane to me, but this story suggests that we are doing what we should be doing: signing an immediate number one for McCarthy to challenge.

Not an expert on this guy but I guess Crocker knows him well and it does feel we should be able to work on this in January ahead of the summer if needed.

Yeah, I’m not sure we can do the buy the youngest keeper thing. I see sense in getting a younger keeper to fight for 2/3rd choice, and haven’t we been strongly looking at one from the lower leagues? That makes sense to me.

I’d hope we can do this in Jan, as much as I’m ok with McCarthy being 2nd choice, I’m really uncomfortable with him being No1, even for a season.

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

I do like the Athletic and have some excellent journos however think we got short straw with Sheldon. Doesn’t feel hugely knowledgable about football from some of the stuff he comes out with on the podcast

I get the impression with him that he’s not a football fan. The Benoit Esso Ekotto of journo’s.

Things certainly pointing to Sam Johnson - no doubt we are wooing him already with promises of 1st team prem and in return hoping to pick him up on a free, makes sense if we are that skint. I’m still baffled by why we seemingly only go for English gks - wasn’t long ago we wanted Butland and recently linked with Accy keeper. Then you have Gunn, Forster, McCarthy and we bought Lewis when he was going to be the next big English keeper. It’s all very odd, like we don’t trust non English gks when Boruc and Niemi were far better than this mob.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whelk said:

I do like the Athletic and have some excellent journos however think we got short straw with Sheldon. Doesn’t feel hugely knowledgable about football from some of the stuff he comes out with on the podcast

When I was at uni, before I knew what I was doing, I would write essays by essentially writing out 20 odd points and then turning each of them in to paragraphs - it was shit - this seems to be the approach being used in these Athletics "articles".  

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

You suggested I was upset about something, what do you think I am/was upset about?

You've decided to announce to the forum that you are going to cancel your subscription to The Athletic for what turns out to be no reason at all, so you tell me. 

On 01/09/2021 at 11:22, Whitey Grandad said:

Monopoly mathematics.

Doesnt the standard 20% VAT payment have to be added to any deal between British clubs which makes Foreign players cheaper.

There is also a 5% transfer levy but not sure if that only applies to transactions involving Football league clubs

On 04/09/2021 at 08:59, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I think that article might be the end of my athletic subscription. Just garbage.

Think a lot of saints fans got into it when it was Anka and they were giving out silly offers. Now its Sheldon and the reality is that he isn't good enough for people to bother paying for it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Think a lot of saints fans got into it when it was Anka and they were giving out silly offers. Now its Sheldon and the reality is that he isn't good enough for people to bother paying for it.

Exactly this - Carl Anka's stuff was really in depth and asking interesting questions/looking at tactical trends whereas Dan Sheldon's articles are so incredibly basic. I find it very annoying that he never actually looks for anything that nobody else has thought of covering yet and he has a real "so what?" problem where he just states things and doesn't explain why we should care or how this could impact things - just terrible analysis.

I like a lot of the other stuff on the Athletic so keep paying for it but on the Saints coverage it really feels like us going from Virgil Van Dijk to Wesley Hoedt - both Dutch defenders but one's world class and one has to be paid to piss off to a Belgian club.

• Haha 1

I'd like to see the club ditch its buy young and hope to resell policy when it comes to keepers. They don't cost much and you just want someone reliable between the sticks. Nothing flashy.

David Soria is worth a look. He signed a 1 year extension this year but by the end of the season he'll again have 1 year left so we could probably get him for £12-15m.

• Like 1

The articles on Saints are pretty woeful, really basic stuff with no real insight at all. That latest article didn’t even have any context or facts - we all know KWP must be pretty cheesed off but he doesn’t even mention that, or reasons why he thinks Hassenhutl made that decision. Also aside from KWP who exactly does he think is currently unhappy and why etc.. Agree that unless you like all the other Sports stuff there is nothing on the Athletic Saints wise you can’t get on here or echo….

17 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

I'd like to see the club ditch its buy young and hope to resell policy when it comes to keepers. They don't cost much and you just want someone reliable between the sticks. Nothing flashy.

David Soria is worth a look. He signed a 1 year extension this year but by the end of the season he'll again have 1 year left so we could probably get him for £12-15m.

That would obviously bring some more experience into the team as well.

20 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

I don't know anything on Sorla, but I take your point on goalkeepers. They tend to improve with age (to a tipping point, obviously) so a mature keeper should be considered. Not the role where you want to buy a kid and hope he comes good for you to sell on.

6 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm actually quite sad about the Echo these days. All they seem to do is rehash stories from other websites

Exactly that.  Recently they've just been rehashing stuff from the OS. 

Aren't the guys running it now the guys who cover Bournemouth?  Obviously cost cutting and they don't have the time.