cUnacceptable inconsistency and appalling standard of referees

cambsaint

30 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Not seeing any contact there, which foot did the Leeds player catch him with?

The one that's off the ground I think. This is the main pic on the BBC match report showing the moment of the goal. I'd need to find a still from a replay to show the actual contact. But there's no doubt he was clattered by a wild tackle.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If JWP's tackle against Chelsea was worth a red card then how the hell did Llorente stay on the pitch today?

Dreadful inconsistency.

100% and you can add the shirt pulling that TV broadcasters managed to see but the VAR official must have been asleep.

22 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

100% and you can add the shirt pulling that TV broadcasters managed to see but the VAR official must have been asleep.

I don’t think that shirt pulling comes under the remit for VAR but I hate to see it and it should be eradicated from the game. I don’t like to see rugby style hand-offs either. You don’t play football with your hands.

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t think that shirt pulling comes under the remit for VAR but I hate to see it and it should be eradicated from the game. I don’t like to see rugby style hand-offs either. You don’t play football with your hands.

Not seen one given yet but it does fall into their remit. At least they are consistent in that regard.

"VAR is used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity."

Fucking M.Dean at the center once again. How did McCarthy stay on the pitch?.HOW?...........it beggars belief that Martin Atkinson saw JWP tackle on

the Chelsea player a yellow ,but wait Dean is on VAR duty and needs to act,suspense drama oh no Atkinson made a clear and obvious error(shock horror).

Forward to last night and fuck me VAR not interested,

and Dean didnt make a clear and obvious error....really?,why because he had already blown for a previous handball?wow its all down to someone else pointing out to the head honcho the errors that Dean is directly involved in are not judged fair and obvious.

24 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Fucking M.Dean at the center once again. How did McCarthy stay on the pitch?.HOW?...........it beggars belief that Martin Atkinson saw JWP tackle on

the Chelsea player a yellow ,but wait Dean is on VAR duty and needs to act,suspense drama oh no Atkinson made a clear and obvious error(shock horror).

Forward to last night and fuck me VAR not interested,

and Dean didnt make a clear and obvious error....really?,why because he had already blown for a previous handball?wow its all down to someone else pointing out to the head honcho the errors that Dean is directly involved in are not judged fair and obvious.

Just seen that and I totally agree. Awful from Dean and VAR. That is the very definition of 'serious foul play' and so much more worthy of a red than JWP's genuine attempt to get the ball.

It's getting silly now just how incompetent and inconsistent these refs are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

In my opinion the JWP challenge was worse but I understand the partisan feelings.

I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I'm curious to know how you conclude that a genuine but mis-timed challenge for the ball is worse than an obviously deliberate (and successful) attempt to injure another player?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I'm curious to know how you conclude that a genuine but mis-timed challenge for the ball is worse than an obviously deliberate (and successful) attempt to injure another player?

Just now, cloggy saint said:

You believe he deliberately tried to injure Broja?

I think you are talking about 2 different incidents. SS was referring to McArthur's, very obviously, deliberate foul on Saka which led to him being brought off at half-time. Not the foul on Broja after he scored.

As soon as Saka was taken out my words were, 'How is that not a red card? It is far worse than JWP's late tackle'. (With a few choice expletives thrown in).

• Like 3

Just now, Minsk said:

I think you are talking about 2 different incidents. SS was referring to McArthur's, very obviously, deliberate foul on Saka which led to him being brought off at half-time. Not the foul on Broja after he scored.

As soon as Saka was taken out my words were, 'How is that not a red card? It is far worse than JWP's late tackle'. (With a few choice expletives thrown in).

I said  (more or lees) exactly the same thing Minsk, although our expletives may have been different!

2 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Ah, ok, you're talking about Arsenal V Palace, I didn't see that.

Sorry, yes that's what I thought you were talking about.

Was Llorente on Broja any worse than JWP? Difficult to say really. It was a wild lunge that had no chance of winning the ball, which I don't think you can say about JWP. He saw Jorginho have a loose touch and legitimately went for the ball, and Jorginho then massively extended his foot to get the ball before him and planted it right in the path of JWP's outstretched foot. I think they were probably no worse than each other.

I think a yellow would have been perfectly adequate in both instances. But the fact that JWP got a red and Llorente got no card at all highlights the inconsistency. Llorente then took out Moi on the edge of the box later on, and that should have been his second yellow. So JWP commits one late but not deliberate foul and gets sent off. Llorente commits two and doesn't.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I didn't watch the game as I was working till half time - so he got absolutely nothing for that? Because of an earlier offence being whistled for seconds before?

How does that work? - So you can be a right nasty bastard mere seconds after the whistle and kick an oppo player up in the air without recourse?

14 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I didn't watch the game as I was working till half time - so he got absolutely nothing for that? Because of an earlier offence being whistled for seconds before?

How does that work? - So you can be a right nasty bastard mere seconds after the whistle and kick an oppo player up in the air without recourse?

It's violent conduct, pure and simple. It doesn't matter if the ball is in play or not.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

He got a yellow for it. So the fact that Dean had already blown up for an earlier offence clearly didn't prevent him from issuing a card at all. He just didn't deem it worthy of a red, apparently.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He got a yellow for it. So the fact that Dean had already blown up for an earlier offence clearly didn't prevent him from issuing a card at all. He just didn't deem it worthy of a red, apparently.

And nobody is allowed to ask him why he deems the JWP challenge as worse than wilful GBH on Saka. There is no way McArthur could even pretend he was trying to play the ball. It was pure retaliation because Saka had fouled him a minutes beforehand.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It's violent conduct, pure and simple. It doesn't matter if the ball is in play or not.

Only just seen it but couldn't agree more. Ref couldn't have had a clearer view. McArthur was not even close to volleying that dropping ball even if Sako hadn't been there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, There when Franny scored said:

El ghazi had the three clearest yellow cards you will ever see. Not just two, but three. The officiating in the premier league is embarrassing 

I reckon the second foul was too early in the game and ref didn't want to give the red so soon. But the dive is just completely indefensible.

• Like 1

Just now, karlb79 said:

the second foul was too early in the game and ref didn't want to give the red so soon

Which law(s) of the game covers that scenario? It maddens me when refs don't take each incident on its own merit. Tonight's ref didn't do his job properly, plain and simple. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, karlb79 said:

I reckon the second foul was too early in the game and ref didn't want to give the red so soon. But the dive is just completely indefensible.

The second fould could have been but equally you could argue Romeu had a foul after he was booked, so to i can see ref going final warning on hiim.

However, that dive was exactly the reason the yellow card rule was brought in. Why have the rule if you aren't going to punish someone who blatantly cheats like that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trousers said:

Which law(s) of the game covers that scenario? It maddens me when refs don't take each incident on its own merit. Tonight's ref didn't do his job properly, plain and simple. 

No law of course. Unfortunately we have to put up with the refs using their judgement and discretion in those sort of incidents. For me it was a clear second yellow, but the ref was a bottle job. Fuck knows what was going through his head for the dive though. Shambolic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Another pathetic display from the referee. Not just key decisions, but the smaller ones too. So frustrating 

True. I must have missed the rule change that says when a team is losing free kicks may be taken from anywhere within a 10 yard radius of where the offence occurred.

• Like 2

Seems worth revisiting this tiopic after the appalling decision by referee Andrew Madley not to send off Villa's El Ghazi for one of the blatent pull-back on Livramento. (Saints v Villa 5 November). There was no question that wrestling and pulling from behind to stop Tino from attacking down the wing was far beyond what is permitted.   El Ghazi shoukld have been given a second yellow card. It was a serious misjudgement by the referee.  Just because this wasn't a 'red card offence' was no excuse.  The whole point of the red for two yellows is that two Level 1 wrongs make a Level 2 wrong. Madley failed to understand that and made  adecisi0on that could have changed theresult of the match.  It would be very interesting to know what disciplinary action will be taken for such an impoortant mistake but, hang on, we do know.  Absolutely Sweet FA.  Because covering up mistakes by referees is such high priority.

I went to Gillingham yesterday, you think the level of refereeing is bad in the prem, it's totally shit in the lower levels. The ref roamed around the centre circle like a fat PE teacher and missed so much, pulled back play late when the advantage was on, gave completely unfathomable decisions. Medways finest let the ref know what they thought with a long chorus of 'the referee's a cunt'.

39 minutes ago, Professor said:

Seems worth revisiting this tiopic after the appalling decision by referee Andrew Madley not to send off Villa's El Ghazi for one of the blatent pull-back on Livramento. (Saints v Villa 5 November). There was no question that wrestling and pulling from behind to stop Tino from attacking down the wing was far beyond what is permitted.   El Ghazi shoukld have been given a second yellow card. It was a serious misjudgement by the referee.  Just because this wasn't a 'red card offence' was no excuse.  The whole point of the red for two yellows is that two Level 1 wrongs make a Level 2 wrong. Madley failed to understand that and made  adecisi0on that could have changed theresult of the match.  It would be very interesting to know what disciplinary action will be taken for such an impoortant mistake but, hang on, we do know.  Absolutely Sweet FA.  Because covering up mistakes by referees is such high priority.

totally agree about the officiating the other night.

One point thought, VAR has been much better this season overall.  Not perfect, but much better

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

VAR has been much better this season overall.  Not perfect, but much better

Was still amazed that Newcastle pen was given though, but agree - then again couldn't be as worse as last season! :D

Edited by skintsaint

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Was still amazed that Newcastle pen was given though, but agree - then again couldn't be as worse as last season! :D

Couldn't believe that all the freeze frame back and forth replays for Brighton's penalty concentrated on the leg contact. It was clear from the one, normal speed,  replay they showed from the opposite angle that player tried to stay on his feet but it was actually the yank on the front of his shirt that pulled him off balance. 

And talking of shirt tugs we were very lucky to get away with Romeu on Mings. Did VAR even look at that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

And talking of shirt tugs we were very lucky to get away with Romeu on Mings. Did VAR even look at that?

If you look at MOTD post bits at 1:17:21, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0011g58/match-of-the-day-202122-06112021

The camera from the side clearly shows that McCarthy is being FOULED by the No19 as the corner comes in (He has his arm out pushing Alex back over the line, stopping him coming for the ball). 

So from that corner the Attacking side is committing a foul on the GK and the Defending side is committing a foul at the near post. 

9 minutes ago, Saint_John said:

If you look at MOTD post bits at 1:17:21, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0011g58/match-of-the-day-202122-06112021

The camera from the side clearly shows that McCarthy is being FOULED by the No19 as the corner comes in (He has his arm out pushing Alex back over the line, stopping him coming for the ball). 

So from that corner the Attacking side is committing a foul on the GK and the Defending side is committing a foul at the near post. 

Nah not for me. 

Any competent keeps moves that player out the way, likely getting awarded a foul in the process. 

3 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Nah not for me. 

Any competent keeps moves that player out the way, likely getting awarded a foul in the process. 

Not for me either. If 19 is preventing McCarthy getting out with that touch he must have the strongest arm in football.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...