Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

3 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

I don’t understand the criticism Shane Long has received for tonight’s cameo. He didn’t do much wrong in the 20 or so minutes he had. True, he didn’t score a hat-trick nor did he lay on a couple of assists but he held the ball up, draw a few fouls, had a header on target and did the job he was expected to do.

he did well IMO. I've never rated him. But he did a job. He's like 6th choice. Might as well get behind him.

• Like 3

Just now, Baird of the land said:

The fact Tella/Broja were both pulled off makes me worry ralph knows they are his only fit frontmen for Saturday too, so there may be more long pain.

More than happy with Tella and Broja. In fact, they'd be my first choice. They offer the most threat, with genuine pace.  Obvipusly Che and Armstrong off the bench would be nice.

• Like 1

I didn't follow the game at all, just read the last couple of pages of this thread and it seems every Saints player is complete shit and/or a cunt and should be sold. I really wonder why a lot of people here 'support' saints when they clearly don't like anything at all about the club.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Saint_Jonny said:

After the first 10 or so minutes, which were horrendous, Saints did well tonight. It's a good point after that start, I feared for us after the early goal.

Two great goals from our POV. Felt like it could have gone either way in the end.

Lyanco was wank. Did he find a Saints player with a pass all night!? Just swiped at every ball. Positionally he was ok.

Personally thought Lyanco was OK and generally good positionally. Don't see much blame on the goal, if anything its caballero gambling the other way but its more the pass to Romeu/romeu's reaction.

Thought of the defenders Livramento was poor. Fortunately after he got booked Palace took pity on him somewhat.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chez said:

More than happy with Tella and Broja. In fact, they'd be my first choice. They offer the most threat, with genuine pace.  Obvipusly Che and Armstrong off the bench would be nice.

Agreed. More than happy to see Tella getting minutes. He's one of our best players for carrying the ball forward and creating chances around the oppo box. He always looks to take men on and often succeeds, and his end product isn't that bad either.

Walking back to the car. Was fun in the away end, decent atmosphere. Quality when the second goal went in. 

Point was fair

Is handball, even accidental, in the built up to a goal not a free kick anymore?

Would have loved it if Long had scored a winner. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TWar said:

First goal was on him too imo. 

How exactly? We gave it away in a dangerous position (Salisu/Romeu), Livramento was very high and Lyanco was left squared up against Zaha who was cutting inside. It was a quick turn and hit which you cant do much about at times. Probably wary about diving in and Zaha turning back inside

• Like 3

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

How exactly? We gave it away in a dangerous position (Salisu/Romeu), Livramento was very high and Lyanco was left squared up against Zaha who was cutting inside. It was a quick turn and hit which you cant do much about at times. Probably wary about diving in and Zaha turning back inside

CB has to show Zaha outside, as the commentators pointed out. You can't let the forward cut inside there as a right footer

2 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I didn't follow the game at all, just read the last couple of pages of this thread and it seems every Saints player is complete shit and/or a cunt and should be sold. I really wonder why a lot of people here 'support' saints when they clearly don't like anything at all about the club.

‘I didn’t follow the game at all’

Something something about real supporters

• Like 2

Scored 2 which is great but we relied on wonder goals as other than that we didn’t create much or look like scoring “run of the mill” goals. We can’t rely on great strikes like we saw tonight.

When you concede as many as we do, the above point is even worse. It always felt like we would concede a 2nd and obviously we did. 

Thought Lyanco looked panicked and flappy. Djenepro looked like a waste of space who was never going to do anything. 

The most depressing part was that we rely on brining on Long. Yes, we have injuries, but it’s depressing that he couldn’t do enough on loan in the Championship to get signed so we end up with him again. 

I feel so underwhelmed by this team, but somehow we’re 6 points clear of Burnley?! I expect them bottom teams to pick up at some point (illogical perhaps), but do think we should have enough to get to 17-14 without pulling up any trees. 

Ralph longest serving manager since Chris Nicholl is mad. Best part of 30 years!

Need to remember how precious points are in the Prem. Key to survival is not losing, ensure that and the necessary wins will follow.

This squad is very weak if a few crucial players drop out the quality disappears.  Romeu is not his old self at the moment, add in the missing Armstrong and the midfield is severely weakened.

Point won, another point Saturday and its 18 points at almost halfway. Repeat that and its good enough for survival. How depressing for that to be the target.

Had they won the Norwich game (that was the low point), then all would be pretty ok. That is how tight the margins are.

Add Forster, Adams, and the Armstrongs into that side and there is hope for me.

In January buy a decent CH and sell Bendarek. Also buy a left winger. I don't want to see Djenepo doing his Bambi act again.

Edited by macca155

12 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

I don’t understand the criticism Shane Long has received for tonight’s cameo. He didn’t do much wrong in the 20 or so minutes he had. True, he didn’t score a hat-trick nor did he lay on a couple of assists but he held the ball up, draw a few fouls, had a header on target and did the job he was expected to do.

Agreed, he did ok, and it made sense to take Broja off to protect him for Saturday.

On the other hand, the less said about that waste of space Walcott the better. And I have finally given up on Djenepo, he is hopeless. I really wanted him to do well, and he has skill and energy, but the PL is beyond his level it seems.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

CB has to show Zaha outside, as the commentators pointed out. You can't let the forward cut inside there as a right footer

I'm no great fan of Lyanco, but Salisu killed us. Lyanco had no chance really. Zaha could have gone either side of him. I thought Salisu made a lot of errors on the night. That one cost us, others didn't. Lyanco wasn't impressive, but equally didn't do much wrong. For once we didnt expose our CBs much. Better play by midfielder perhaps? Shitter opponents more likely.

Just now, Yozzman said:

I agree with a lot you say but that is Salisu's fault all day. The ball to Romeu was shite.

I think Salisu and Willy also share some of the blame tbh. Also, I think a lot of the time the challenge is given as a foul, he went through the back of Romeu to get there imo.

After Palace wasted chances to go 2 or 3 up early on, I'm more than happy with a point. We put in a much better display at Selhurst than Everton did on Sunday at least.

Yes it's frustrating that, once again, we can't hold on to a lead and give away another sloppy equlaiser. But we scored two very good goals to drag ourselves back into the game.

Have to follow it up with a win against Brentford on Saturday though, so I can understand Ralph taking Broja and Tella off to keep them fresh. Just a shame that injuries currently force us to bring on two replacements who should be nowehere near the PL at this stage in their careers.

• Like 1

Just now, TWar said:

I think Salisu and Willy also share some of the blame tbh. Also, I think a lot of the time the challenge is given as a foul, he went through the back of Romeu to get there imo.

I thought that too. Like to see it again, but Ralph was fuming that it was given. 

Just now, Dark Munster said:

No it wasn't, it was that hospital pass by Salisu that led to it. He (Salisu) was absolutely shite in the first half, but fortunately improved after the break. Lyanco was ok for the match I thought.

I think the pass was poor, Romeu could have been proactive to come to the ball, Willy shouldn't be done at the near post but I think Lyanco not showing him outside was the biggest crime. Also, as I said in the last comment, the ref had a part to play too as I think Hughes went through Romeu

As long as we ensure our expectations are aligned with survival in this league, and no more than that, this is a very acceptable point and performance.

First 10 mins were a mess, but we got ourselves together and bossed the game for the rest of that first half. Tella and Broja causing all sorts of problems, Tella in particular was a thorn as he was floating all around the 3 and his pace was causing a problem.

2nd half wasn't bad either really, but we let Palace back in a little bit more - but with Zaha, Olise etc on the bench then we were always going to be pinned back at some point. 

Our subs did nothing more than weaken us in an attacking sense, but I didn't expect them to do anything else. Not much Ralph could have done as he needs to project Broja and Tella was blowing towards the end, sadly the only options he had was Long and Theo who are finished at this level as we all know. And Moussa, the less said about him the better. Pointless player.

Onto Brentford then, we need to win that one. If we're on 20 points by Christmas I'd say we're on course to survive, but that's all my expectations are this season and all they really should be with the lack of investment in this team.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Need to remember how precious points are in the Prem. Key to survival is not losing, ensure that and the necessary wins will follow.

This squad is very weak if a few crucial players drop out. Romeu is not his old self at the moment, add in the missing Armstrong and the midfield is severely weakened.

Point won, another point Saturday and its 18 points at almost halfway. Repeat that and its good enough.

Had they won the Norwich game (that was the low point), then all would be pretty ok. That is how tight the margins are.

Add Forster, Adams, and the Armstrongs into that side and there is hope for me.

In January buy a decent CH and sell Bendarek. Also buy a left winger. I don't want to see Djenepo doing his Bambi act again.

We're not buying a CH in January in a million years nor likely to sell Bednarek.

I also will say, it's a shame the injuries hit now. Their back 4 were stretched and if we had Adams, Stu, and Arma fit as well as Tella and Broja we would have had better options on the bench and could have changed things up at 60 mins and really hurt them. As was, we had to use Long, Walcott, and Djenepo who are all shite and so we left subs late as we could to keep our better players on the pitch till they were truly knackered. Then after they left we lost all threat whatsoever.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Our subs did nothing more than weaken us in an attacking sense, but I didn't expect them to do anything else. Not much Ralph could have done as he needs to project Broja and Tella was blowing towards the end, sadly the only options he had was Long and Theo who are finished at this level as we all know.

I didn't think we offered much if any threat in the second half. The subs didn't really weaken us. In fact a lovely bot of skill by Theo created a nice chance for Romeu.

I think in Ralph's formation you need one of the number 10s to be  more a midfield type like Armstrong or Smallbone, gives us much more balance than playing with two wingers.

Thats why I wouldn't object to playing JWP there at times and bringing in Dialo in CM.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Parraud aint better than KWP. It's up to him to impress and he hasn't done squat in games. Who knows in training.

But KWP is better than Livramento though when played in his proper position. Perraud doesn't play as I suspect Ralph knows KWP will leave if he doesn't get game time

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I didn't think we offered much if any threat in the second half. The subs didn't really weaken us. In fact a lovely bot of skill by Theo created a nice chance for Romeu.

We still carried somewhat of a threat with Tella on the pitch, but I think the problem we had is that they tired. The subs were just ineffective really.