Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

I'd have taken a draw before the game so not too disappointed.

We showed some spirit for once and didn't completely capitulate in the second half.

Djenepo could have twice won that for us but seemingly has no confidence.

Not a bad result considering the injuries, but poor defending again costing us goals.

• Like 2

Leading half time. We didn't win. I hate how predictable it is now. I don't enjoy watching us play anymore. I just knew we wouldn't be able to play a good second half and once again our opponents get the last laugh. I wish I wouldn't feel so angry after every game but this team let's us down every week after positive first halves.

We are lucky we got two sucker-punch goals. Nothing to do with our strategy today.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Though I'm thinking of it as a point gained after that start, it'll still count as two points lost from a winning position in our favourite stat. Will for Palace too, but that doesn't help us!

So that is 4 points lost in one match ?

1 minute ago, Saints foreva said:

Feels like we've missed another opportunity to get 3 points once again. Those substitutions from Hassenhuttl were awful, none of those players should be anywhere near the Premier League. 

Moj for Smallbone, but who else does he put for Broja or Tella - don't think he had much choice

• Like 1

A point is ok away to Palace i suppose ( very annoying not to get the three though)

Frustrates me how ralph didn't make a sub till they equalised. The game had shifted and we weren't likely to be able to sit on the lead. Make the changes earlier and maybe they don't score that scrappy equaliser. After we make the changes we once again look the better team for the next 10/15 minutes.

For a 40 year old very average keeper, Caballero had a good night and made a couple of key contributions.

Think Tella is an important player for us with his pace. He's the only pure pace machine we have. Nice to have Broja who can shoot too.

At the end with Long and Walcott as our strike force i was praying for FT.

Djenepo back to his infuriating self. have a ****** shot.

3 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Not the worst result, needed 4 from these two games so all on the next. 

In isolation, decent match between two sides who aren't good enough for the top half but probably won't go down. Poor defending from both. I do feel we'd have won with Stuart Armstrong though just for better decision making in the final third. 

Tella superb tonight. Willy some good saves. Broja very good. Djenpo absolutely awful when he came on, what's happened to him?! Defence all terrible except for full backs going forward. 

Bringing on Long now is utterly ridiculous. You don't have to play strikers. You can bring on actual current footballers in other positions Ralph. Christ. He had no place being in this league 2 years ago. 

It would be nice to get 4 from the two games but actually if we want to stay up we don't need to win the next one. Surprisingly considering how poor we've been for much of the season, we're entirely on track to reach a points total that will see us safe. Its not inspiring but we are grinding our way to safety with our first half performances. 

Get into a winning position and lose it again 😡 but then again after a dreadful start and the players missing its not a bad point away from home (another draw - nearly half our games have been draws).

Positives - Broja and JWP with great goals. Thought Salisu and Lyanco grew into the game as it went on. Redmond looked good at times.

Negatives - To finish the game with a front 4 of Walcott, Djenepo, Long and Redmond shows how desperate it is when we get a few injuries. That is Championship quality at best.

Fed up with Djenepo. Twice in the last 10 minutes gets into a great position on the edge of the Palace box and either falls over the ball, miscontrols it or runs away from goal. Throw in his injury history and he is a waste of a squad player. Dont care how young he is.

5 hours ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Not been following Saints very long (introduced myself to it this season) and off to my first away game! Very excited but even within my short time following I know that it’s going to be a tough evening! 

How was it mate ? Cant beat a decent away game.

I don’t understand the criticism Shane Long has received for tonight’s cameo. He didn’t do much wrong in the 20 or so minutes he had. True, he didn’t score a hat-trick nor did he lay on a couple of assists but he held the ball up, draw a few fouls, had a header on target and did the job he was expected to do.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Also got to wonder does Ralph just hate Perraud or has Livramento been promised he'll play 90 minutes each week?

Parraud aint better than KWP. It's up to him to impress and he hasn't done squat in games. Who knows in training.

Point isn’t the worst but to really pull away from the bottom 3 I’d say really a win was the target here. There is pressure because I’m not being arrogant but we should be banking 3pts at home to a newly promoted team on Saturday.

I’m glad Franny is also venting similar frustration on TV too.

In terms of performances though, I’d say it was a mixed bag, no one had a 4/10, but there were a few misplaced passes and other errors.

I will give MOTM to Broja for his well-taken goal, drive and hold-up play for the minutes he did play.

2 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Why did he have to take either of them off? 

Broja needs protecting. He looked like he tweaked a muscle last time, so we are ensuring that didn't happen again. Tella faded for me.

Edited by Chez

After the first 10 or so minutes, which were horrendous, Saints did well tonight. It's a good point after that start, I feared for us after the early goal.

Two great goals from our POV. Felt like it could have gone either way in the end.

Lyanco was wank. Did he find a Saints player with a pass all night!? Just swiped at every ball. Positionally he was ok.

Just now, Saint_Jonny said:

After the first 10 or so minutes, which were horrendous, Saints did well tonight. It's a good point after that start, I feared for us after the early goal.

Two great goals from our POV. Felt like it could have gone either way in the end.

Lyanco was wank. Did he find a Saints player with a pass all night!? Just swiped at every ball. Positionally he was ok.

First goal was on him too imo. 

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Point isn’t the worst but to really pull away from the bottom 3 I’d say really a win was the target here. There is pressure because I’m not being arrogant but we should be banking 3pts at home to a newly promoted team on Saturday.

I’m glad Franny is also venting similar frustration on TV too.

In terms of performances though, I’d say it was a mixed bag, no one had a 4/10, but there were a few misplaced passes and other errors.

I will give MOTM to Broja for his well-taken goal, drive and hold-up play for the minutes he did play.

I saw that. He must be after Ralph’s job ;)

1 minute ago, Kingsland Codger said:

I don’t understand the criticism Shane Long has received for tonight’s cameo. He didn’t do much wrong in the 20 or so minutes he had. True, he didn’t score a hat-trick nor did he lay on a couple of assists but he held the ball up, draw a few fouls, had a header on target and did the job he was expected to do.

That moment where he was played through on the left and he showed how his pace has completely evaporated was bad. I don't particularly criticise him as he's done largely what Ralph wanted in terms of trying to hold the ball ocassionally (but its pretty depressing to see him getting minutes in the prem even if its injury/games coming thick and fast induced). The fact Tella/Broja were both pulled off makes me worry ralph knows they are his only fit frontmen for Saturday too, so there may be more long pain.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic