Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Here we go again.  Tricky match when we have such brittle confidence.

• Good news — Salisu & Romeu return.

• Bad news — I’m assuming we’re 3 strikers down with Broja / Adams / A.Armstrong out injured.  So Redmond / Tella / Theo / Long (!) will have to step up.

He has to make us harder to beat.  Simply swapping out players and sticking to a 442/4222 and seeing our defenders consistently so far up  the pitch is ridiculous.

Why do we never set up routinely with a 433/4231? 

Anyway, Livramento needs a break from the team. Ralph's total mismanagement of him is criminal

My prediction? loss, as will will 'go for it', look good in spells but our wide open set up will kill our game.

I would go with 433/4231 (and keep the shape for the next few)

Keeper (who knows)

KwP

Salisu

Stephens/Lyanco

Perraud

Romeu

Diallo

JwP

Redmond

Long (jesus fecking christ)

Tella/walcott

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He has to make us harder to beat

We were hard to beat for 4 weeks at end Oct/start Nov. Maybe we should revert back to whatever it was we were doing well then. (IIRC, that purple patch coincided with JWPs 3 game suspension, didn't it...?)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Agree that Livramento needs a rest.  I also think that his direct approach could be handy off the bench.  I also want to see JWP dropped as he's having a poor season and now his set pieces aren't working, he's not offering a lot.  Funny that our best run of the season happened with him suspended.

Willy

KWP Lyanco Salisu Perraud

Romeu Diallo

Redmond                  Mo

Long    Tella

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Agree that Livramento needs a rest.  I also think that his direct approach could be handy off the bench.  I also want to see JWP dropped as he's having a poor season and now his set pieces aren't working, he's not offering a lot.  Funny that our best run of the season happened with him suspended.

Willy

Romeu Diallo

Long    Tella

Yep, I'd go similar to this... although maybe Djenepo instead of Mo. No chance Ralph will drop JWP though

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

We were hard to beat for 4 weeks at end Oct/start Nov. Maybe we should revert back to whatever it was we were doing well then. (IIRC, that purple patch coincided with JWPs 3 game suspension, didn't it...?)

And S. ARMSTRONG featuring. 

I just can't see where the goals will come from, best bet is to keep it tight, ride our luck and try to nick a 1-0 like our other wins this season. 

Palace play today, will be interesting to see how they set up . 

Big game Saturday v Brentford as well. 

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Willy

Romeu Diallo

Long    Tella

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, I'd go similar to this... although maybe Djenepo instead of Mo. No chance Ralph will drop JWP though

Actually, I've a hunch Ralph will start Walcott up top rather than Long. 

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Surely we've got justification to bring in a 40-something free agent centre forward to help us out.

Give Peter Crouch a shout I reckon , reminds me of the days running a 6 a side team and having to text round on the day of the game as players drop out, "if your Dad's not up to much see if he fancies a game as well mate" 

Edited by JRM
  • Haha 1

I've not checked myself but think they said on the radio we've now lost 15 out of the last 19 league away games , that's terrible and doesn't give much confidence for this. I'm sure in the early days of Ralph we were better away than at home. 

1 minute ago, JRM said:

I've not checked myself but think they said on the radio we've now lost 15 out of the last 19 league away games , that's terrible and doesn't give much confidence for this. I'm sure in the early days of Ralph we were better away than at home. 

We were which was just as well as we were dire at home, 4 home wins in his first season wasn’t it?. Now we seem to be crap home and away. 

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Nail hit firmly on the head.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace vs Saints - Wednesday 7.30pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
7 minutes ago, captainchris said:

So Ralph, you would continue with the same formation would you???????????
Jesus ! 

Formation wasn't the issue today. We had dreadful CBs, a woeful keeper, Broja who is a massive step down from Adams, and Diallo who had a dreadful game deputising for Romeu. Romeu and Salisu coming back will fix half those problems and the striker situation we will have to wait and see. Goalkeeping will continue to be an issue until we sign a good one.

27 minutes ago, TWar said:

Formation wasn't the issue today. We had dreadful CBs, a woeful keeper, Broja who is a massive step down from Adams, and Diallo who had a dreadful game deputising for Romeu. Romeu and Salisu coming back will fix half those problems and the striker situation we will have to wait and see. Goalkeeping will continue to be an issue until we sign a good one.

Broja will score more goals this season than Adam’s if given same game time.

We need someone who can supply the ammo and that’s the problem we have. 
This is why we need to ditch the same tactics that are failing with over and over again.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Didn't we also sign Perry Groves to supply the chances for those two?

Yeah we did. Basically the shearer money went on them three plus Monkou, who was decent. We seem to be rather badly at spending record transfer fees received 

Just now, Dorchester Saint said:

He has to change it to make us solid while we’re without key strikers, damage limitation. If he goes for the same old same old he can fuck off as far as I’m concerned. 

Some on here think the tactics are good. Just that we don’t have the players to play those tactics. Which then begs the question …why can’t he see that and change it ?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Broja will score more goals this season than Adam’s if given same game time.

We need someone who can supply the ammo and that’s the problem we have. 
This is why we need to ditch the same tactics that are failing with over and over again.

Maybe, but he is much less valuable to how we play. Adams makes that through ball to Armstrong in the first half putting him through 1v1, he also presses more effectively meaning Arsenal are under much more pressure on the pass out. After Armstrong came off Broja was a passenger both in possession and against the ball.

The someone who can supply the ammo can be Adams, as well as scoring a couple. We need Armstrong to get his shooting boots on, and more quality from attacking mid. Ideally, that is Stuart Armstrong, but I don't know about his fitness.

Our tactics are hard to change as we have a team built to play this way. A 3atb won't help us score more goals imo, three in midfield isn't possible as we would need an attacking 8 (Think Mason Mount style) and we don't really have anyone who can play that role except Stu who is out. One up top doesn't work as our two best forwards both are not good target men and play much better as a two.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

So players coming back who have played throughout our great form and playing the same formation will solve the problems???

20 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

Just watched Palace aggressively beat Toffees. I don’t see us getting anything on Wednesday. We don’t have any midfield hardmen to handle Zaha or Benteki. Come on Saints. Prove me wrong.

Hasn't JWP done a job on him a few times ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Maybe, but he is much less valuable to how we play. Adams makes that through ball to Armstrong in the first half putting him through 1v1, he also presses more effectively meaning Arsenal are under much more pressure on the pass out. After Armstrong came off Broja was a passenger both in possession and against the ball.

The someone who can supply the ammo can be Adams, as well as scoring a couple. We need Armstrong to get his shooting boots on, and more quality from attacking mid. Ideally, that is Stuart Armstrong, but I don't know about his fitness.

Our tactics are hard to change as we have a team built to play this way. A 3atb won't help us score more goals imo, three in midfield isn't possible as we would need an attacking 8 (Think Mason Mount style) and we don't really have anyone who can play that role except Stu who is out. One up top doesn't work as our two best forwards both are not good target men and play much better as a two.

Simple, stop the press and adapt a style where we can be more competitive.

Not too long ago we would've fancied getting something from this game, but now we are polar opposites. They are a team on the up,  confidence sky high, while we are quickly plummeting into the relegation dog fight, with confidence shot to pieces.   This will be yet another game where we run out of steam, ideas and hope,  no points. 

Edited by Micky

30 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

He tries to wind him up but I think he’s wised up. Seeing him tonight JWP will have his work cut out. Put KWP at right back and he will slow him down. For me this is a hard one to call.

Some think he could’ve seen red after he shoved his hands at Delph’s face in the first half today. 

Would’ve been nice.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic