Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

2 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

This week is a big one for us, starting tonight at Selhurst Park...we need to start picking up some more wins to distance ourselves from the drop zone...need a big result somewhere!

Hoping for 4 points this week to calm the nerves before Christmas...I'll be there tonight in full voice! COYS!

Absolutely, 7 points from the next 5 would be massive for us. Not expecting anything against Spurs or West Ham, so 2 wins and a draw needed from Brentford, Newcastle and Palace.  Would leave us on 23 after 21 games. 

If we don't get results this week, we could be right in the shit come Jan 1st, desparately needing 3 points against a likely resurged Newcastle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely, 7 points from the next 5 would be massive for us. Not expecting anything against Spurs or West Ham, so 2 wins and a draw needed from Brentford, Newcastle and Palace.  Would leave us on 23 after 21 games. 

If we don't get results this week, we could be right in the shit come Jan 1st, desparately needing 3 points against a likely resurged Newcastle.

On January 2nd? Who are they getting in on January 1st? De Bruyne, Kane and van Dyke?

44 minutes ago, Piran said:

On January 2nd? Who are they getting in on January 1st? De Bruyne, Kane and van Dyke?

Agreed, they will probably come storming back with some good signings but I can't see it happening much before the beginning of february. Takes a little while to bed in players.

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

not really, as no one else ever gets close to that score when they lose a player.

Leeds came close last night without having 2 players sent off (one wrongly, whilst a penalty was wrongly awarded against him). They also didn't have a legitimate goal chalked off because an elbow was offside. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minsk said:

Leeds came close last night without having 2 players sent off (one wrongly, whilst a penalty was wrongly awarded against him). They also didn't have a legitimate goal chalked off because an elbow was offside. 

Nor were they starting a youth rightback who hadn't played senior football in years or a youth CM who had never played senior football (and subbing on a youth CB who'd never played senior football after the bullshit red card)

• Like 1

Given our (likely) lack of forward options, and 'keeper issues,, I would go with something like this today:

Willy

Stephens     Lyanco      Salisu

KWP       JWP         Romeu      Diallo      Perraud

Redmond        Tella

Did think about putting Smallbone in instead of Diallo, but thought the latter couldn't be as crap as he was on Saturday 2 games running (can he?) Give Tino a rest. Keep it compact. Use the wing backs for width.

Subs: Lewis, Tino, Valery, Bednarek, Smallbone, Moi, Walcott, Long, Chauke (or maybe Watts)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

Nor were they starting a youth rightback who hadn't played senior football in years or a youth CM who had never played senior football (and subbing on a youth CB who'd never played senior football after the bullshit red card)

Indeed.

5 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

And Ramsay is now at the bottom of League One, Jankewitz can't get a game in a League One equivalent, despite being a youth legend and the answer to all of our problems and Tchaptchet's professional football career is likely done. All in 10 months.

I think if a team is struggling and a player doesn't seem to be starting as much as fans want they over mythologise their skills as a stick to beat the manager with. As soon as they leave you see why they weren't starting and they are conveniently never mentioned again.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think if a team is struggling and a player doesn't seem to be starting as much as fans want they over mythologise their skills as a stick to beat the manager with. As soon as they leave you see why they weren't starting and they are conveniently never mentioned again.

Yeah, are you listening Tadic?

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Yeah, are you listening Tadic?

I don't remember Tadic being dropped for us and fans clamouring for him to play. As I remember it was the opposite, the manager kept starting Tadic and our fans slagged him off.

49 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

And Ramsay is now at the bottom of League One, Jankewitz can't get a game in a League One equivalent, despite being a youth legend and the answer to all of our problems and Tchaptchet's professional football career is likely done. All in 10 months.

Didn't he turn down a deal with us, yet hasn't been picked up by another club? May be injured I guess, but looks a strange one. 

1 minute ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Not been following Saints very long (introduced myself to it this season) and off to my first away game! Very excited but even within my short time following I know that it’s going to be a tough evening! 

Have a good time!

I hope people don't get too despondent if we comfortably lose tonight.  Palace finished above us last season and this summer spent nearly £70m net getting better whilst not losing anyone of value to them.

We lost our best player and 'made' £15m from sales retaining our net spend trophy.  They're operating in a different world to us no matter how you feel about the size of their club.  They are competing in this league financially and we cannot. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Not been following Saints very long (introduced myself to it this season) and off to my first away game! Very excited but even within my short time following I know that it’s going to be a tough evening! 

It's never boring being a Saint. Prepare to be disappointed most of the time,  elated very occasionally and hopeful the rest! 

6 hours ago, DT said:

Well if we're going to get pedantic then using 'not necessary' instead of 'unnecessary' is, um, 'not unshit'.

OK, prof., please explain when one is used in preference to the other because this ignoramus can't understand any nuanced difference.

17 minutes ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Do you live in Farnborough?  Who did you support before Saints - they must have been bad!  Lets hope your support begins an upturn in Saints fortunes.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, FboroSaint21 said:

It’s tough supporting saints full stop - just means you enjoy the good times/results even more. Here’s to one of those tonight.

25 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Do you live in Farnborough?  Who did you support before Saints - they must have been bad!  Lets hope your support begins an upturn in Saints fortunes.

Yup but moved recently from Cardiff. Haven’t ever really followed football because I was indoctrinated into rugby at an early age and I’ve only just found how much better is….38 years later!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FboroSaint21 said:

A late developer, like myself.  I was lucky, my first game was 2003.....Saints 4 - Spurs 0 in the cup.  That's where it all started.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Manuel said:

A late developer, like myself.  I was lucky, my first game was 2003.....Saints 4 - Spurs 0 in the cup.  That's where it all started.  

Mine was Leeds at home closely followed by the Villa game! Thought I was the lucky charm….things have taken a bit of a turn since then!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Piran said:

I’m not necessarily talking about signings, though of course they’ll make them. More to do with the fact there will be a lot of positivity around with talk of new signings etc, which will improve current players performances…maybe. 

I don’t think any new signings can play against us anyway? 

2 hours ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Welcome to the family!

• Like 2

Yup but moved recently from Cardiff. Haven’t ever really followed football because I was indoctrinated into rugby at an early age and I’ve only just found how much better is….38 years later!

We played rugby at Totton grammar School Saturday mornings. In the afternoon me and myfellow pupils played football for a club I formed. We played in the New Forest league

Mine was Leeds at home closely followed by the Villa game! Thought I was the lucky charm….things have taken a bit of a turn since then!

Mine was at the Dell at the end of the war against Luton (there were no leagues at that time) we scored ELEVEN, a chap called Alf Ramsey scored four of them (I think) and from memory Luton got 3. I was about 8 at the time and thought it would be like that every week!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Welcome to the family!

Yes indeed. As Turkish says, welcome to the family, as dysfunctional as it may seem. It takes a special type of person to support the Saints. You could try leaving now before you get totally hooked in and find there's no way out.....Sorry, too late. You're in now and you have to stay. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

20211215_183017.jpg

Wonder if this is a return to the 4141 we saw earlier in the season.

Willy

Tino Lyanco Salisu KWP

Romeu

Tella JWP Smallbone Redmond

Broja

I think Broja actually operates best as a lone striker rather than a two and the decision to play Smallbone over one of our 10s like Elyounoussi or Djenepo may be because of this.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

I worry about Tino up against Zaha though. 

Has Ralph ripped up the playbook and gone with a 433 or is Smallbone playing as a 10 I wonder?

I had the same 433 thought.

As far as Zaha goes, hopefully JWP can keep him occupied as he has in the past to good effect.  

Still obstinately vulnerable on our left side with KWP playing there, which takes Salisu's game down 25% because he has to cover for it.

On a more positive note, Smallbone's corners were much better than JWP's at Chelsea, and Lyanco and Salisu were getting on the end of them. Hopefully JWP will let him take them, and then hang around the "D" waiting for a half-clearance. And even more hopefully his shot will be reasonably accurate. Pushing it, I know. 😀

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic