Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Don’t try to be clever. There are plenty of ‘nation states’. The full title of Israel for example is ‘The State of Israel’.

France is both a country and a state, or as a king once said “L'État, c'est moi 

What do they call themselves when they compete at the Olympics or the World Cup?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Putin’s put Russia’s nuclear deterrent forces on the highest level of alert. For everyone’s sake that needs to be a bluff, or everyone loses, including Putin.

And now there will be peace talks on the Ukraine-Belarus border without the precondition that Ukraine lay down their weapons.

That’s taking bad news/good news to an extreme. Ukraine might just have made it cost enough that even though Putin has the military strength to win, he doesn’t have the political capital to win a long guerrilla war, or perhaps more importantly, the peace afterwards.

I'd like to think its a combination of factors - the military being restless with Putin's orders, the Russian population starting to realise what's going on and the realisation that financially they cant afford a long war. Hopefully that leads to Putin being deposed. I cant believe the military would actually launch nuclear war even if Putin told them to. 

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Team GB or something stupid like that. Have you seen what the United Nations thinks about it?

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/member-states

193 of them I believe.

:mcinnes:

Member States

For addresses and other contact information please refer to the UN Blue Book.
For any changes in the name of the country, or its membership details, please follow the link on the Member State.

The word 'state' in this context refers to 'statehood'.

You asked for my definition of state and country, I gave it to you.

Trying to prove my definition wrong because the UN has decided to use flexibility in its definition seems superflous (and so far off topic it isn't relevant)

https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/iiclr/pdf/vol12p25.pdf

It is common knowledge that, while there are traditional definitions of a State in international law, the term has been used in many different ways. We are all aware that, under the traditional definition of a State in international law, all the great writers have pointed to four qualifications: first, there must be a people; second, there must be a territory; third, there must be a government; and, fourth, there must be capacity to enter into relations with other States of the world. ... [But] the term 'State', as used and applied in Article 4 of the Charter of the United Nations, may not be wholly identical with the term 'State' as it is used and defined in classic textbooks of international law

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I'd like to think its a combination of factors - the military being restless with Putin's orders, the Russian population starting to realise what's going on and the realisation that financially they cant afford a long war. Hopefully that leads to Putin being deposed. I cant believe the military would actually launch nuclear war even if Putin told them to. 

Added to that the sanctions are hitting them now.

Also most Russians don’t see Ukraine as an enemy. A lot of the fighting is between Russian people forced to be soldiers told to attack people they don’t see as an enemy, against people fighting for their home.

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It just takes one Putin bodyguard to be a hero and end this madness...

I( read a good analysis a few years ago arguing that the reason no-one has deposed Putin so far is because so many people owe their wealth and power directly to him - Putin is very good at preventing cliques or groups which might challenge him. Many don't like him but also don't like / trust each other - which means they can't agree on a successor.  Maybe that calculus is changing now

Edited by buctootim

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

:mcinnes:

The word 'state' in this context refers to 'statehood'.

You asked for my definition of state and country, I gave it to you.

Trying to prove my definition wrong because the UN has decided to use flexibility in its definition seems superflous (and so far off topic it isn't relevant)

https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/iiclr/pdf/vol12p25.pdf

I’m not trying to prove you either wrong or right. Merely pointing out that words have multiple meanings.

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm unclear - is that Russian armour that's been destroyed or is it Ukranian?

It's hard to tell for sure because some of the vehicles are used by both Ukraine and Russia and ofc when they are burnt out the badging is gone. But some of the destroyed vehicles are only used by Russia. Its either all Russian or a mix of the two but I think from reading the comments its Russian armour destroyed by hit and run Ukrainian troops   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

There is a lot of debate about where or what current nation states were 50, 100 years of whatever ago.  Theses arguments are meaningless, England did not exist before the 9th century, Germany before 1870, and Italy was not unified until Garibaldi sorted things out (arguably it still isn’t).  For me it’s simple, if the UN recognise a Sovereign Nation State as of 27FEB 2022 then that’s what it is.  

• Like 4

I have become slightly more optimistic in the last few hours.  If reports are to be believed combined with the failure of Putins initial assault objectives then perhaps, just perhaps, the Russian people and especially those who have supported and feared Putin may rise up.  Reading Putins mad ramblings it certainly has echo’s  of Hitler in his Berlin bunker in April 1945.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moonraker said:

I have become slightly more optimistic in the last few hours.  If reports are to be believed combined with the failure of Putins initial assault objectives then perhaps, just perhaps, the Russian people and especially those who have supported and feared Putin may rise up.  Reading Putins mad ramblings it certainly has echo’s  of Hitler in his Berlin bunker in April 1945.

Yes doesn’t appear to be going well for Russia but that isn’t necessarily goods news for Ukraine but shows Putin the rest of world can royally fuck them if they choose. Some knew this of course whilst others seemed to swallow hook line and sinker the propaganda 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yes doesn’t appear to be going well for Russia but that isn’t necessarily goods news for Ukraine but shows Putin the rest of world can royally fuck them if they choose. Some knew this of course whilst others seemed to swallow hook line and sinker the propaganda 

I like the line Royally fuck them, we could not prevent the initial assault, but if we can dethrone Putin via non military means that will be a game changing result in the history of conflict.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whelk said:

All European countries shoudl boycott WC and carry on with our leagues as normal.

be brilliant for Qatar to bring as much joy as the Beijing Winter Olympics with fuck all interest

I’d like to see this happen anyway, awarding process behind last two WCs questionable and to end up with a worthless tournament would be well worth it. Russia needs to be totally isolated in all sport as SA largely was (one off and rebel rugby/cricket tours excepted). Olympics position has been appalling, look at the skating debacle in Beijing. Every time a Russian ‘athlete’ wins, you always think ‘is that a clean win?’. 

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Well done Liz Truss. STFU. Starting a fucking Nuclear war.

Is there no depths to their stupidity?

Another one of Putin’s useful idiots?

I mean warrior not Truss

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:
No idea if true

Probably is. The selling of oil and gas was specifically excluded from sanctions - in part because they would hit the west just as hard / harder than Russia and in part because you need to keep back a threat of things getting worse.  

• Like 1

So what is it about Liz Truss’ comments that’s making you blame her, and not the bloke using comments on breakfast news about a defensive alliance as an excuse to ready nukes?

"To anyone who would consider interfering from the outside - if you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history." Putin alluded to Nuclear retaliation 4 days ago. The finger should only be pointed at Putin for threatening Nuclear war. The Kremlin were inevitably going to attempt to justify their threats by deflecting the blame elsewhere. This was always going to be in their strategy to deter further sanctions and Ukrainian support (lethal and non-lethal aid) from the west.

Which statement of hers do you think triggered Putin to go all DefCon 2 ? Was it her astute grasp of Eastern European geography ? Perhaps her in depth understanding of the Russian Federation's constituent regions ? Or perhaps asserting that an attack on one NATO member is an attack on all ?

Edited by badgerx16

Zero Hedge has long been identified as a Russian propaganda vehicle to undermine capitalist markets. It is a mixture of legitimate market commentary and pro Russian pieces. It will always take the negative side of an argument. It was founded by a disgruntled ex trader but was purchased by Russian intelligence operatives a number of years ago. So I would not take anything is says as being honest.

All articles are written by "Tyler Durden" originally these were believed to be written by a a group of three people, but I do not know what the current state of it is.

Edited by Mystic Force