Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, saint1977 said:

Before that, Jan was covering RB when KWP got injured where the club didn’t fund full back cover in the Gao era (had to play Valery and Vokins at fullbacks v Arsenal). Not a good position for him and remember him having some tough games eg Everton away where he got targeted. Never as confident since despite some good individual performances. Looked solid before at as a CB and decent with Salisu early part of last season before Romeu started to decline. Could revive his fortunes at a new club as long as he is played alongside a more mobile partner. Has been at SFC since 2017 and under three different managers. Body language hasn’t looked happy for a while eg reaction to Leeds substitution, Watford home and City in the Cup so time to move on.

He's ok in a low block but given how we want to play he is like a lamb to slaughter because of his slowness and his particular inability to defend crosses. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The big difference I saw in the Leicester game particularly was his movement to get into a goal scoring position - his two goals were largely dependent on that and I can’t remember better examples where he’s been so effective in that way since he joined us. It is definitely the difference for him at this level and as important as being able to dribble Broja-like in presenting goal scoring opportunities.

I did wonder if both of the Leicester goals were off the training ground, under the new coaching regime.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, redder freak said:

I did wonder if both of the Leicester goals were off the training ground, under the new coaching regime.

The tactic of getting KWP down into the corner and laying it back to JWP in space to ping in a cross is definitely something we have worked on in training. It paid dividends for us away at Spurs last season (twice) and we have tried it a few times already this season.

Watch the highlights of Saturday's game and watch how KWP and JWP celebrate with each other when Che scored his second. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Well I can’t see them wanting Stephens now tbh

Could push Villa to push for JB I suppose

Problem is, Villa literally need injury cover for 6 months.  I know they’re minted, but even they probably won’t fork out £15m for that. 

Looks like Wolves have found a load of money down the back of the sofa.

Wolves are in "intensive" talks for Stuttgart striker Sasa Kalajdzic, according to Sky in Germany.

The German club want around £21.1m for the Austria international.

Potentially a bit of a domino here with regards to Ramos.

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its almost as if most people in the game realise he isn’t as bad as is made out on here isn’t it

he really isn't as bad as people make out. He's not top class, that's obvious, and there's no point in me describing his failings, but he is OK in the air, committed in the tackle and pretty comfortable on the ball. However, if there is ever the chance to move a player on and have another stab at landing a player that could become top class, I'd like to see us go for it, but that's tapered with the need to have as strong cover as possible.  So far, no one wants Lyanco, Valery and Stephens, so our options are limited.

I think its fair to say that club and player are both OK with a move, as long as the right deal in put in front of SFC.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Problem is, Villa literally need injury cover for 6 months.  I know they’re minted, but even they probably won’t fork out £15m for that. 

I thought that I had read somewhere that Villa had enquired about a loan for JB rather than buying him?

50 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Anyone know if Watford need 2 centre-backs? Didn’t know if it was a case of them being in for Hause AND Stephens? Or 1 or the other.

They played 352, with Cathcart, Sierralta and Kabasele away against Brum, but 442 with Cathcart and Sierralta at home prior to that against Burnley. Only conceded 2 goals in 5 games.

Sarr to Villa deal just collapsed, so less funds available now.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

he really isn't as bad as people make out. He's not top class, that's obvious, and there's no point in me describing his failings, but he is OK in the air, committed in the tackle and pretty comfortable on the ball. However, if there is ever the chance to move a player on and have another stab at landing a player that could become top class, I'd like to see us go for it, but that's tapered with the need to have as strong cover as possible.  So far, no one wants Lyanco, Valery and Stephens, so our options are limited.

I think its fair to say that club and player are both OK with a move, as long as the right deal in put in front of SFC.

This is where I am, on here you give any sort of positivity towards him you get murdered

Still waiting on the names for attainable prem CBs that were better than him….

In fairness if we have a target in mind that we can improve on him with Im all for it, I do think he needs to move on.. but the clamour to move him on just for the sake of it is absolute nonsense… he is still better than Lyanco/Valary/Stephens

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

They played 352, with Cathcart, Sierralta and Kabasele away against Brum, but 442 with Cathcart and Sierralta at home prior to that against Burnley. Only conceded 2 goals in 5 games.

Sarr to Villa deal just collapsed, so less funds available now.

Cheers for the info.

Joao Pedro is wanted by Newcastle.  They’ll do well to hold onto both.

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This is where I am, on here you give any sort of positivity towards him you get murdered

In fairness if we have a target in mind that we can improve on him with Im all for it, I do think he needs to move on.. but the clamour to move him on just for the sake of it is absolute nonsense… he is still better than Lyanco/Valary/Stephens

In terms of other attainable CB’s, I feel it’s better to look at why no one seems to be trying that hard to sign a 26 year old international CB with 200+ premier league games under his belt, even though he’s clearly available? It would suggest to me that there must be plenty of better first choice, and probably backup CB’s in all other PL squads. I’ve no doubt he’ll look okay in a team that allows him to just defend the old school way. But here, he’s quite clearly not capable of doing what we need, and playing with him is hindering us. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

In terms of other attainable CB’s, I feel it’s better to look at why no one seems to be trying that hard to sign a 26 year old international CB with 200+ premier league games under his belt, even though he’s clearly available? It would suggest to me that there must be plenty of better first choice, and probably backup CB’s in all other PL squads. I’ve no doubt he’ll look okay in a team that allows him to just defend the old school way. But here, he’s quite clearly not capable of doing what we need, and playing with him is hindering us. 

You’re ignoring my question… who is available and better than him as a back up ?

Ive never said he is first choice

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You’re ignoring my question… who is available and better than him as a back up ?

I’ve not kept up with who’s available currently but I saw Rob Holding mentioned, and Tarkowski, Mee and Coady have all moved this window. Whether any would want to be a backup i’m not sure, but i’m sure Jan wouldn’t either. 

But i’m sure there are plenty across Europe who would be an improvement. It feels a bit like the Cedric debate all over again, who was upgraded hugely by two young full backs, one of which had never played a minute of PL football before. 

25 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Sorry don't agree with that. Much rather see Lyanco play over him. In a toss up with Stephens, Stephens at least offers some versatility at 4th choice. So yeah you can pretty much say he may be better than a failed RB who we are trying to convert into a CB. Get rid asap.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The problem with Bednarek is when he first came into the team he was probably third or fourth choice, but the fans took to him as he threw himself infront of everything and generally looked like he was passionate about wanting to play well and win for Saints. Now he's just passionate about moaning at everyone else when he's usually the one messing up and hasnt put in a really good performance for months and months. I think he's got a bit too big for his boots personally, so wouldnt really care if he moved on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Sorry don't agree with that. Much rather see Lyanco play over him. In a toss up with Stephens, Stephens at least offers some versatility at 4th choice. So yeah you can pretty much say he may be better than a failed RB who we are trying to convert into a CB. Get rid asap.

If you think Lyanco and Stephens are better defensively than Bednarek then I’m not sure what to say 😂

27 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I’ve not kept up with who’s available currently but I saw Rob Holding mentioned, and Tarkowski, Mee and Coady have all moved this window. Whether any would want to be a backup i’m not sure, but i’m sure Jan wouldn’t either. 

But i’m sure there are plenty across Europe who would be an improvement. It feels a bit like the Cedric debate all over again, who was upgraded hugely by two young full backs, one of which had never played a minute of PL football before. 

I do think we should of gone for Mee/Tarkowski… they improve on all 3 of our CBs imo.. Coady definitely improves on JB… Im not sure Holding does at all

Im sure there are alternatives abroad, Ive spoken about 3 already in Brooks, Zagadou or Denayer.. all available on a free or Caletta-Car for a fee.. but that wasn’t the original question about the qoute

Likd it of not Bednarek is our 3rd best CB, which is why WHU/Villa/Everton have been apparently interested in him and only Watford are looking at Stephens

So my point stands, if we can get a suitable replacement then sell, if not than selling makes no sense outside of seeing a few of our fans happy that their scapegoat has gone 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I forgot to reply to this yesterday (apologies) but I still struggle to believe how we're failing to recognise how bad Bednarek has largely been for us?

If (for some reason) it has to be a player with Premier League experience, you have the following who've already moved this Summer -

Tarkowski, Mee, Coady, Diop, Collins

Other potentially attainable ones who haven't moved/previously been linked -

Soyuncu, Chalobah, Bailly, Tanganga, Cooper, Worrall

I'm not saying that I want us to go out and sign these players, I am merely suggesting that if you're struggling to spot an available CB better than Bednarek then I'm not sure what you've been watching these past 3 years.

What is more interesting to me is that we managed to go abroad and pick up a 20 year old who (albeit with an absolutely tiny sample size) for £10m who does not look out of place as his replacement immediately. There are clearly an absolute truck load of players in Europe who could come in and do the job he has done (and better).

This is just an example of other CBs brought in over the past few years in our typical price range -

Andersen, Konsa, Ajer, Webster, Kilman, Tosin, Colwill, Jansson

These are all players who have been brought in domestically over the past few seasons, let alone looking elsewhere in Europe.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I forgot to reply to this yesterday (apologies) but I still struggle to believe how we're failing to recognise how bad Bednarek has largely been for us?

If (for some reason) it has to be a player with Premier League experience, you have the following who've already moved this Summer -

Tarkowski, Mee, Coady, Diop, Collins

Other potentially attainable ones who haven't moved/previously been linked -

Soyuncu, Chalobah, Bailly, Tanganga, Cooper, Worrall

I'm not saying that I want us to go out and sign these players, I am merely suggesting that if you're struggling to spot an available CB better than Bednarek then I'm not sure what you've been watching these past 3 years.

What is more interesting to me is that we managed to go abroad and pick up a 20 year old who (albeit with an absolutely tiny sample size) for £10m who does not look out of place as his replacement immediately. There are clearly an absolute truck load of players in Europe who could come in and do the job he has done (and better).

This is just an example of other CBs brought in over the past few years in our typical price range -

Andersen, Konsa, Ajer, Webster, Kilman, Tosin, Colwill, Jansson

These are all players who have been brought in domestically over the past few seasons, let alone looking elsewhere in Europe.  

Because he isn’t anywhere near as bad as the bedwetters on here make out, and he was made a scapegoat by fans who couldn’t recognise quite how suicidal our late season tactics were, because before that Bednarek was absolutely fine defensively and then was trying to fight fires in a backline that consistently found themselves overloaded and under pressure

Mee/Tarkowski/Coady/Collins/Colwill I agree with but like I said, aren’t attainable considering they’ve moved

Bailly is consistently injured, Tanganga/Chalobah are inexperienced, Soyuncu was awful last year and can’t get into the Leicester back line over a midfielder 

The others we just aren’t signing are we, Id love Adersen or Ajer here but its not happening

so yeah… like I said, there isn’t a dozen attainable CBs in the prem for us as a replacement at all

Europe is different of course, but that wasn’t the qoute you responded to

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 5

The idea that Mee/Tarkowski would be good additions for us shows a lack of understanding of what Ralph expects of centre halves, ie to be glued to forwards no matter how deep they drop. This requires pace and agility, which neither have. They’d be fine in more conventional systems (although Burnley didn’t do so well) but hopeless for us

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, disconnect said:

The problem with Bednarek is when he first came into the team he was probably third or fourth choice, but the fans took to him as he threw himself in front of everything and generally looked like he was passionate about wanting to play well and win for Saints. 

People on here certainly did. My immediate posts about him were that he's just too slow to ever b top quality at this level and he's probably throwing himself in front simply because he's too slow and has no choice. Admittedly, finding a CB that is strong and powerful in the air, very good positionally, pretty good with the ball AND also very sharp/fast is the holy grail.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

The idea that Mee/Tarkowski would be good additions for us shows a lack of understanding of what Ralph expects of centre halves, ie to be glued to forwards no matter how deep they drop. This requires pace and agility, which neither have. They’d be fine in more conventional systems (although Burnley didn’t do so well) but hopeless for us

I do absolutely agree with this by the way, but this is also the exact same shortcoming which Bednarek has.

I think of the players who moved this Summer, the perfect one for us would've been Collins.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

It's a shame that we were not in this position last year to spend a bit of money. Had we been, am sure we would have been in for Guehl who ended up at Palace. 

Wasn't he about £21m? That's a fair bit more than the £9m we spent on BK. Mind you we wouldn't have spent £7m+ on Lynco, so could have put that money into the pot.

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The tactic of getting KWP down into the corner and laying it back to JWP in space to ping in a cross is definitely something we have worked on in training. It paid dividends for us away at Spurs last season (twice) and we have tried it a few times already this season.

Watch the highlights of Saturday's game and watch how KWP and JWP celebrate with each other when Che scored his second. 

We've been doing that a while now, it reminds me of the Gary Neville/David Beckham interplay where they'd create room for him to stick a cross in for whichever amazing striker they had at the time.

To stop it the opposition have to pull a midfielder out to pretty much stand with JWP which then creates a load of room inside for someone else to move in to. It's a great tactic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I do absolutely agree with this by the way, but this is also the exact same shortcoming which Bednarek has.

I think of the players who moved this Summer, the perfect one for us would've been Collins.

Agreed. Burnley fans were adamant that Collins was the player they wanted to keep the most and likely to reach the very top. Sadly for them he didn't go under the radar, despite it being his first Prem season. £21m was too rich for us.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Actually I reckon KWP would be better suited to a wide right midfielder role.

He looked good in a cameo performance pre season at SMS when Valery played right back, and actually did very well.

Ralph spoke about that last season and he pushed KWP into an advanced role a few times, I distinctly remember it at Old Trafford when it worked well.

People were expecting Livramento to play there but he was kept at RB and KWP played ahead of him.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

There seem to be far too many people on this forum that believe this rubbish and I don't understand why! A look at the statistics may help:

Goals conceded in 2021-22 while playing in matches where they started or played more than 45 minutes:

• Bednarek:  51 goals conceded in 31 games = 1.65 goals per game
  • Salisu: 57 goals conceded in 34 games = 1.68 goals per game
  • Lyanco:  19 goals conceded in 9 games = 2.11 goals per game
  • Stephens: 19 goals conceded in 9 games = 2.11 goals per game
  • Valery: 7 goals conceded in 5 games = 1.4 goals per game

Those statistics actually suggest that Valery had the best defensive stats last season of these four, but it must be noted that in most of those games he played as part of a centre-back three rather than a two. It is also worth noting that Salisu's stats would be slightly worse if we were to count the goal conceded against Spurs after he was sent off.

What is absolutely clear is that Lyanco and Stephens had far worse stats than Bednarek and even Salisu's stats were slightly worse than his.

With this in mind, I reiterate the point that while Bednarek is not a great defender the obscene way that he has been derided by some is completely over the top and we should not be rushing him out of the door until we are completely sure that we have adequate defensive cover.

FWIW, I am extremely hopeful that Bella-Kotchap will prove to be the first genuinely quality central defender that we have had since Van Dijk and I hope that Salisu will also continue to improve.

• Like 12

Thank you for the JB data. Just proves how contradictory's saints fans can be on the same player! 

It seems supporters of all colours seem to need to have scapegoats for losses. It’s easier to personalise it into one or two “ bad” players. Especially if there’s a howler or two to point to. Then it’s easier to do that than enter the grey world of blaming the tactics or allowing scope for superior players or even knowledge of intangibles like was he playing of necessity with an injury. 
FWIW I don’t think Jan is anything better than an average epl CB - but he is good enough to play for Saints and for Poland and certainly not as hapless as some make out. Selling our most experienced CB and replacing with a kid is a high risk play which given we have brought in one youngster to CB is all that much of a priority. I’d keep him unless a really good offer came in - in which case it’s gamble time - another kid or replace a seasoned pro with another at CB?

Edited by gio1saints
So.
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

There seem to be far too many people on this forum that believe this rubbish and I don't understand why! A look at the statistics may help:

Goals conceded in 2021-22 while playing in matches where they started or played more than 45 minutes:

Those statistics actually suggest that Valery had the best defensive stats last season of these four, but it must be noted that in most of those games he played as part of a centre-back three rather than a two. It is also worth noting that Salisu's stats would be slightly worse if we were to count the goal conceded against Spurs after he was sent off.

What is absolutely clear is that Lyanco and Stephens had far worse stats than Bednarek and even Salisu's stats were slightly worse than his.

With this in mind, I reiterate the point that while Bednarek is not a great defender the obscene way that he has been derided by some is completely over the top and we should not be rushing him out of the door until we are completely sure that we have adequate defensive cover.

FWIW, I am extremely hopeful that Bella-Kotchap will prove to be the first genuinely quality central defender that we have had since Van Dijk and I hope that Salisu will also continue to improve.

Agree with everything you say

Delighted with the prospect and potential of a Salusi/ABK partnership, I also think if we can replace Bednarek with a replacement we should, in my mind that replacement should 100% be a more experienced CB that can directly challenge for a first 11 spot without causing too much damage to ABK/Salisu pathways

The vitriol that Bednarek is getting is completely unwarranted

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

FWIW I was saying Andersen before he went to Fulham permanently, Ajer before Brentford stayed up and then Collins… they are all the mould we need, intelligent, ball playing CBs

ABK looks like he could be that VVD mould, strong, quick and technically proficient

I dont think Bednarek is as bad as many think. I also do not think he is good enough. 

Hes been in the side for 3 to 4 years now but hasn't seemed to get better, indeed seems more like the reverse. 

Salisu looks to have something about him and although he's mad.some.mistakes.ai think he deserves a little but of time.

ABK looks like he will be great but far too early.

Stephens and Lyanco are clearly 3rd or 4th choice players at this level. 

And so on this basis it would make absolute sense to get a CB who is better than all of them and then move on 1 or 2. 

• Like 3

Baz, Salisu and ABK should be nailed on starters imo and given a good run of games to cement that key core central defensive understanding. So I see no strong argument for a “ better” than JB, Stephens Valery or Lyanco CB to be recruited - unless one or more of those leaves that is.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Looks like Wolves have found a load of money down the back of the sofa.

Potentially a bit of a domino here with regards to Ramos.

Were Wolves in for Ramos too and now wouldn't be? I thought it was Newcastle and Everton?

I just cant get my head around him leaving Benfica for Saints. Money talks, but it just doesn't feel right to me. For some reason Nicolas Jackson feels more aligned. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Were Wolves in for Ramos too and now wouldn't be? I thought it was Newcastle and Everton?

I just cant get my head around him leaving Benfica for Saints. Money talks, but it just doesn't feel right to me. For some reason Nicolas Jackson feels more aligned. 

Yeah, Wolves were also linked - not sure if that was just lazy journalism though given he's Portuguese.

Jackson is more of a wide player though I think, whereas Ramos is a CF. We need both types imo.

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, Wolves were also linked - not sure if that was just lazy journalism though given he's Portuguese.

Jackson is more of a wide player though I think, whereas Ramos is a CF. We need both types imo.

Got to say that Jackson feels very Broja-esque (which I am sure is still a type of player we are interested in) in that he has the pace and power and can quickly turn defence into attack all on his own.  Was that rumour only social media based?

As with Benefica, Villareal feel a lot more attractive to a young player than moving to Saints, so not sure why he'd come to us right now.  I did notice that he has only just broken into their first team this season, so maybe we would see him in a similar light to Chelsea/Man City (buy their best talent from them), although as he is now in the first team perhaps that train has sailed.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

The board do love a scapegoat. Once Jan goes it’s full throttle on Ely, then Redmond ad infinitum. Once our new players have had a few games and not scored a hat trick then they will be for the firing squad.

Some of our “fans” never learned how to support a team.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I was just thinking that. Thank goodness we won on Saturday or everyone would be melting down. 

we would be, but having won against a side that is possibly not at their best, we shouldn't rest on our laurels. Its a long and very hard season. We are not creating a huge amount, we don't have a huge number of goals in the term and we still have full back depth issues. If the funds are there, then there are areas to improve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I've always felt that Bednarek isn't as bad as many on here make out and it's interesting to see that backed up in these stats. The think is that the way we were playing last season and probably the season before, CB's were very exposed if our possession game was turned over, because our FB's play really high to give us width. When Oriol Romeu went off the boil towards the end of last season they became even more exposed. When they are exposed and get it wrong it looks terrible - I remember a goal either last season or the season before where he got it all wrong in a 1:1 against Burnley.

• Like 2