Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 minutes ago, DT said:

How does that work, without an ACL? I did my ACL playing footie 15 years ago and it has never really been right, hamstring-wise. But it gave way a bit before the op (mostly while dancing at a wedding). I thought it was encouraging to see the 'round the worlds' or whatever the kids call them these days that Tino did in the vid. Hope he does a recovery a la van Dyke or Shearer

They’ve basically realised that you can rehab an ACL deficient knee to be as strong as a surgically repaired knee.. the issue with an ACLr is you lose the proprioception in the joint anyway (as the new ligament has no nerves) so it’ll never fire the same way if you overextend anyway

Worth noting that Ive always been a gym goer and played a lot of sport anyway so basically did a shit load of stregth and proprioception work and now have been fine without it, your body eventually gets used to the new joint condition, obviously some people aren’t able to and some are, naturally its even easier for pro athletes to rehab with or without due to them being stronger initially

Got a nasty feeling Che may end up Everton - but for a much bigger fee than was originally being discussed. 

Chelsea are going to throw silly money at the Gordon deal. Everton desperately need a striker. Che goes into the last year of his contract next year and for one reason or another it seems we were ready to listen to offers for him two weeks ago. 

If Everton come in with the sort of big, desperate offer that they’re so good at, I still think we’ll sell. His current purple patch may just be seen as a fortuitous opportunity to crank the price up on a player we were prepared to move on anyway. 

I really hope not, as I really like him, but I could see that being seen to make longer-term business sense. I think we do need to sell someone to help fund the other signings, and no-one’s biting on the players we really don’t want. 

As I say - I hope not, as I think he’s shown what a valuable player he is for us. And we’d need to be very confident about the player(s) we brought in to replace him. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I’m nervous now about losing Adams when there’s been no indication of a replacement striker for Long/Broja let alone Che. I think it could be the undoing of us and all the early doors good work in this window by getting this one wrong. Don’t score goals, you don’t win games of football.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Less media focus also might help> Out the limelight of the English press and get his career back on track.

I’d agree with that. Shame for us as he seems exactly the type of player we need. Although post injury I haven’t seen him play too much to judge his current level…

Just over a week to go now, hoping we do sign a striker, number 10/wide striker, FB cover and possibly an experienced CB, if we sell Bednarek. Lots to do, not feeling confident we will tick all of those boxes by September 1st but should be a busy/interesting week.

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m nervous now about losing Adams when there’s been no indication of a replacement striker for Long/Broja let alone Che. I think it could be the undoing of us and all the early doors good work in this window by getting this one wrong. Don’t score goals, you don’t win games of football.

Che has just scored 4 goals in 100ish mins and hit the post. As well as playing a part in all but 2 of our other goals. For me we cannot afford to sell now. Ideally extend the contract, sign our new record fee striker and see if we still need Che in the summer.

However, if he won’t sign an extension or we need funds to buy a new and hopefully improved striker (which does come with risk) our model cannot allow him to go down to 1 year on his contract and be worth less than we paid for him surely?

if Che can keep up this current form, the pressure on any new striker will be much less.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I believe the club see Mara as Longs replacement and the other striker we're targeting would be Brojas replacement. I.e we don't expect Mara have to many goal contributions, but anything more than 1 is an upgrade on Long. That's how I see it anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

I believe the club see Mara as Longs replacement and the other striker we're targeting would be Brojas replacement. I.e we don't expect Mara have to many goal contributions, but anything more than 1 is an upgrade on Long. That's how I see it anyway. 

Good point - yes I guess Mara could be that as he seems to getting a fair bit of game time straight off the bat.

4 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

Mara already has more assists than longy gave us last year - if he gets a goal then he's ecplised him

• Like 2

Asked on the whereabouts of the three (Walcott, Redmond, Stephens), the manager responded: “I think we tried to give the young players a chance to play, we will see what happens.

“It could be that we have some moves coming in and going out, we will see what happens,” Hasenhuttl added.

Not new news. Still talking of movement in (and out) though.  

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Have we had a link to Oxlade Chamberlain yet? Feel like that one is always a guarantee too

The poor guy has another long-term injury, he won't be going anywhere anytime soon! Will be up for a freebie next summer though, if anyone wants to take the risk.

I don't understand why everyone suddenly thinks Adams is this fantastic striker. He's never been very prolific in his time here. He does have the odd purple patch and score 4 or 5 but then goes back to hitting the keeper. He even hit the keeper from a few feet last night but it did go in. 

I'm not saying he's terrible. He works hard, he can make a pass and he is the best we currently have. However we won't get anywhere when your main striker scores 7 or 8 a season. So if he goes then fine, we get a pot of cash to get someone else in. Ideally we keep him and spend on a goalscorer to play with him. 

But let's not be fooled by a couple of good halves and a brace against Cambridge. He hasn't suddenly morphed into Didier Drogba. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Got a nasty feeling Che may end up Everton - but for a much bigger fee than was originally being discussed. 

Chelsea are going to throw silly money at the Gordon deal. Everton desperately need a striker. Che goes into the last year of his contract next year and for one reason or another it seems we were ready to listen to offers for him two weeks ago. 

If Everton come in with the sort of big, desperate offer that they’re so good at, I still think we’ll sell. His current purple patch may just be seen as a fortuitous opportunity to crank the price up on a player we were prepared to move on anyway. 

I really hope not, as I really like him, but I could see that being seen to make longer-term business sense. I think we do need to sell someone to help fund the other signings, and no-one’s biting on the players we really don’t want. 

As I say - I hope not, as I think he’s shown what a valuable player he is for us. And we’d need to be very confident about the player(s) we brought in to replace him. 

Tricky one. It's not as simple as some posters who say `it would be madness to sell now'. 

Two years left on his contract. Now is he time to sell to maximise our return or we need to offer him a new contract. Would you do that, and how much would you pay? Is he worth £100k a week for example?

Does he want to stay? Does he want to move back up North perhaps? This human element is often ignored.

If we sell, how much is he worth? He hasnt scored a lot of goals previously, but is it possible that he scores 15-20 goals for us this season? What value do we put on that?

Is his all round game really that good and are the facets he brings essential to us?

If we sell, who do we replace him with?

Do we need to sell to buy any other players? Is the buying market non-existent for our `unwanted' players?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m nervous now about losing Adams when there’s been no indication of a replacement striker for Long/Broja let alone Che. 

Mara replaces one of those doesn't he? Not sure he replaces both though. 

I wonder how many forwards we want to have.

I am sure we are working on a striker transfer, but is it to replace Broja or Che?

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Tricky one. It's not as simple as some posters who say `it would be madness to sell now'. 

Two years left on his contract. Now is he time to sell to maximise our return or we need to offer him a new contract. Would you do that, and how much would you pay? Is he worth £100k a week for example?

Does he want to stay? Does he want to move back up North perhaps? This human element is often ignored.

If we sell, how much is he worth? He hasnt scored a lot of goals previously, but is it possible that he scores 15-20 goals for us this season? What value do we put on that?

Is his all round game really that good and are the facets he brings essential to us?

If we sell, who do we replace him with?

Do we need to sell to buy any other players? Is the buying market non-existent for our `unwanted' players?

You make some good points. We're not activley looking to sell Che, I'm sure of it, but there is more to a transfer than just us not wanting to sell.

Maximising player values and re-investing is our moto, so if we have a situation whereby he doesn't want to sign a new contract and we get an offer of £35-40m then I'd say we'd probably be tempted. 

We could re-invest that in a number 10 type and an out and out striker, but I do get the nervousness as he's quite easily the only trusted goal scorer we have right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Che has just scored 4 goals in 100ish mins and hit the post. As well as playing a part in all but 2 of our other goals. For me we cannot afford to sell now. Ideally extend the contract, sign our new record fee striker and see if we still need Che in the summer.

However, if he won’t sign an extension or we need funds to buy a new and hopefully improved striker (which does come with risk) our model cannot allow him to go down to 1 year on his contract and be worth less than we paid for him surely?

if Che can keep up this current form, the pressure on any new striker will be much less.

Sell now, get maybe £30m.

Keep and next summer the price (as will our league position) will be determined by how many goals he gets. 

Not having a firing replacement already in place is a concern.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You make some good points. We're not activley looking to sell Che, I'm sure of it, but there is more to a transfer than just us not wanting to sell.

Maximising player values and re-investing is our moto, so if we have a situation whereby he doesn't want to sign a new contract and we get an offer of £35-40m then I'd say we'd probably be tempted. 

We could re-invest that in a number 10 type and an out and out striker, but I do get the nervousness as he's quite easily the only trusted goal scorer we have right now.

Would you really expect us to get an offer of that price though? I know clubs get more desperate toward the end of a window, but that figure for Adams would be way more than I would be happy my team paying for him

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The poor guy has another long-term injury, he won't be going anywhere anytime soon! Will be up for a freebie next summer though, if anyone wants to take the risk.

another perfect candidate for a pay as you play contract. As he is at Liverpool, he'll probably be sold for £30m with just 6 months left on his contract.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Would you really expect us to get an offer of that price though? I know clubs get more desperate toward the end of a window, but that figure for Adams would be way more than I would be happy my team paying for him

Welcome to the world of the Everton fan.

I wonder what other fans think of Che? Obviously the four goals won't do any harm to opinions, but do others see him as a guy that has the potential to score 10, 15 Prem goals given better supply than we do?

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I didn't think we'd ever see levels of £60m for Antony Gordon.

Who knows what craziness awaits in the last week!

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

to replace Romeu and provide emergency left back cover?  He was great against us when on loan at WBA, but how did he do overall for them?

Did pretty well in midfield. 

Would be a smart signing to cover a number of positions 

Benfica boss Roger Schmidt has been asked again about the future of Goncalo Ramos. The Portuguese side have now qualified for the Champions League group stages after seeing off Dinamo Kiev over two legs with a 5-0 aggregate scoreline.

The centre-forward - who scored against Newcastle in pre-season during Benfica's 3-2 win in Lisbon last month - has been the subject of an offer from the Premier League this summer with the former European champions refusing to name which club. Newcastle are said to have an interest in Ramos but it may take a £35million bid to lure him to the Premier League.

German coach Schmidt was asked about Ramos' future and said last night: "This is not just about money. Economic issues are very important, the money we have now is very important and gives another stability."

When pressed on Ramos' next move, the ex-Bayer Leverkusen boss said: "We have two more weeks before entering the competition and we will see what happens until the end of the transfer window

Edited by Pilchards

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I didn't think we'd ever see levels of £60m for Antony Gordon.

Who knows what craziness awaits in the last week!

trying to think of comparable transfers, where a mid twenties striker moves between Prem clubs, with a couple of years in is contract and a track record of about 8-10 Prem goals. If there has been a few, then maybe narrow that down to someone offering some half decent old up play, but maybe not having pace and dribbling skills.

I think its very clear we will bring in another striker.

Despite that my guess is that we will keep Che - unless we're bid over £25M - for now.

Aside from his own feelings that we cannot really guess at it may be the chemistry between new striker and him may be the biggest influence on if Che leaves or not. Equally it may be a factor of what technical characteristics the new striker has and how complementary they are to Che's game. 

If the new incoming club record striker joins its unlikely he's bought to sit on bench for a season until he is ready...so it will be interesting to see with who they play best with and how Ralph lines them up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Did pretty well in midfield. 

Would be a smart signing to cover a number of positions 

I have this recollection of WBA suddenly being decent for a few games after he came and then returning back to type - letting in goals and creating nothing, which made me wonder just how good he was. 

Seemed to be decent, but having turned us down maybe we wont ever go back.  

7 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Beneficial boss Roger Schmidt has been asked again about the future of Goncalo Ramos. The Portuguese side have now qualified for the Champions League group stages after seeing off Dinamo Kiev over two legs with a 5-0 aggregate scoreline.

The centre-forward - who scored against Newcastle in pre-season during Benfica's 3-2 win in Lisbon last month - has been the subject of an offer from the Premier League this summer with the former European champions refusing to name which club. Newcastle are said to have an interest in Ramos but it may take a £35million bid to lure him to the Premier League.

German coach Schmidt was asked about Ramos' future and said last night: "This is not just about money. Economic issues are very important, the money we have now is very important and gives another stability."

When pressed on Ramos' next move, the ex-Bayer Leverkusen boss said: "We have two more weeks before entering the competition and we will see what happens until the end of the transfer window

I have learned nothing from that. Do they need his transfer fee money, do they have ti already, is Newcastle the team that are in for him, what does the two weeks until the CL start matter? Anyone able to decipher it?

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Wages will be an issue surely for a straight buy option?

What do you estimate he got in his five year deal? Arsenal pay a lot.

If he is on £50k a week, that would be in range. £100k. No chance.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have learned nothing from that. Do they need his transfer fee money, do they have ti already, is Newcastle the team that are in for him, what does the two weeks until the CL start matter? Anyone able to decipher it?

Guessing that there is a knock on affect of whether they qualify for the Champions League, and how much they need the money. See what happens and if a silly bid arrives they will probably accept it. Still not sure we're in for him though.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

trying to think of comparable transfers, where a mid twenties striker moves between Prem clubs, with a couple of years in is contract and a track record of about 8-10 Prem goals. If there has been a few, then maybe narrow that down to someone offering some half decent old up play, but maybe not having pace and dribbling skills.

Probably Shane Long when we signed him? £12m, which is the equiv of £30m now.

• Like 1

Time is our problem,with only a week or so left of the window it seems our current striker search is going down to the wire.

To then sell Che and convince another one to come could be very challenging.

Although it can’t end up a saga I guess with such a short space of time to do business.

If Broja ends up at Everton that will be pretty annoying, especially if it ends up being a loan.

Would hope there are some more concrete links by the weekend, but as I have said a few times - perhaps any incomings now depend on outgoing fees being generated? At £50m net spend that seems fair enough. Maybe a week ago we expected to be getting £20m for Adams?

Can't underestimate how important it is to bring in an attacking player, ideally two, that make an immediate impact.

Adams is not consistent, Armstrong is not good enough and Mara is still learning.

Edited by Dusic

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

What do you estimate he got in his five year deal? Arsenal pay a lot.

If he is on £50k a week, that would be in range. £100k. No chance.

Difficult based on his service - let’s face it prices and salaries have rocketed these last 2-3 years. I would guess he’s on between £60k and £80k. Think he would possibly need to consider a salary cut to fit into our structure.

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Difficult based on his service - let’s face it prices and salaries have rocketed these last 2-3 years. I would guess he’s on between £60k and £80k. Think he would possibly need to consider a salary cut to fit into our structure.

If Arsenal want rid of him them then they will accept a lower fee, with the proceeds going into AMS' salary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonicBoom said:

I don't understand why everyone suddenly thinks Adams is this fantastic striker. He's never been very prolific in his time here. He does have the odd purple patch and score 4 or 5 but then goes back to hitting the keeper. He even hit the keeper from a few feet last night but it did go in. 

I'm not saying he's terrible. He works hard, he can make a pass and he is the best we currently have. However we won't get anywhere when your main striker scores 7 or 8 a season. So if he goes then fine, we get a pot of cash to get someone else in. Ideally we keep him and spend on a goalscorer to play with him. 

But let's not be fooled by a couple of good halves and a brace against Cambridge. He hasn't suddenly morphed into Didier Drogba. 

TBF I don't think anyone is too fooled, or believe he is the second coming of R9.

I think most fans are mindful of A - having no viable alternative in the squad (currently) B - Selling to a team that will likely be a rival to avoid relegation.

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

Slightly older but Chris Wood? By that reckoning £30m is the right figure.

maitland-niles would be a good addition in my view. A decent midfielder, can play in either fullback position and loves to press.

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have this recollection of WBA suddenly being decent for a few games after he came and then returning back to type - letting in goals and creating nothing, which made me wonder just how good he was. 

Seemed to be decent, but having turned us down maybe we wont ever go back.  

We always seem to get linked with AMN and I've always thought he was a good player. 

Seems like his loan move to Roma in January didn't work out - played 8 games in the league plus 4 in other cup competitions.  Mitigating that was Mourinho started him initially at fullback and, well, it's Mourinho who isn't always the best at getting performances out of players.

Only 24 but reckon whoever gets him could probably get a pretty good deal from Arsenal.  Couple of years ago I would have bitten your hand off for him but sounds like he's on a bit of a downward spiral.  Still think there's a decent player in there.

I've checked to see if Forest were/are interested and, yep, they are.  I imagine they'll be desperate to get some new bodies in as they're short on numbers so there will be some competition for his signature..........