Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

46 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I can’t help but wonder if Broja developed a negative mindset when somebody in the dressing room got in his ear. He seemed all set and then things went pear-shaped. The smirks suggest that Ralph and Semmens know exactly who that was - and also the person behind the Mail leak. When shit like this happens inside a club, it’s seldom resolved with a public airing. More often, someone falls out of the squad selection reckoning. Just saying…

Or maybe that player just gets sent out on a hasty loan to Villa? 

AMN would be a low risk, solid signing, versatile player who also has something to prove in the PL.

Personally for a CM role specifically would prefer Garner, I think he has a higher ceiling.

Re Bednarek, for me its simple. If he goes then he has to be replaced as Lyanco & Stephens are 4th and 5th choices not 3rd and 4th. Hopefully Stephens goes too and we get a CB in still.

Would imagine most moves, certainly big permanent ones, will be apparent by end of Monday.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I remember when his stock was high he was described as “a real student of the game” an expression which was repeated verbatim by talk sport regulars the length and breadth of the country. WTF does that mean? He writes shite 10000 word essays on football no one wants to read? Utter drivel said by people who want sound clever by bigging him up

cliched, management speak bollocks...laughable stuff with envelopes...Sterling saw he was full of shit. Some of these managers are simply out of their depth. They are not qualified to manage actual people. They don't have the personal traits required. Rogers strikes me as someone that has been over promoted. Just waiting to be found out.

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

AMN would be a low risk, solid signing, versatile player who also has something to prove in the PL.

Personally for a CM role specifically would prefer Garner, I think he has a higher ceiling.

Re Bednarek, for me its simple. If he goes then he has to be replaced as Lyanco & Stephens are 4th and 5th choices not 3rd and 4th. Hopefully Stephens goes too and we get a CB in still.

Would imagine most moves, certainly big permanent ones, will be apparent by end of Monday.

gonna be tough. Easier for us to loan a player out for a season than to buy someone, perhaps from abroad, in such a short timeframe. Hope we can do it, but we no doubt need a couple to depart to free up wages.

AMN has had a couple of wilderness years so difficult to judge what current form is like but if he’s anything like he was a few years ago then he’s a great signing. Obviously versatile and covers a few positions but he also seems to have quite a varied skill set. Tackles, good range of passes, strong on the ball but the thing I like the most is he can go past players and has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Can’t finish for toffee mind but can’t have it all. He’ll be 25 in a few day so still at a good age as well.

4 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

AMN has had a couple of wilderness years so difficult to judge what current form is like but if he’s anything like he was a few years ago then he’s a great signing.

Form is temporary; class is permanent.

Although the career of Dele Alli would appear to discredit that theory.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Along the lines of.....''You could see how much of a difference it made when we had someone up top who made a difference, was direct. Why he stopped doing those things in the second half of the season is unknown to me'' - Smirks from both him and Semmens.

A lot of people seem down on broja for his second half of the season form, but if he had kept it up we would have zero chance ..so maybe a blessing 

I think the guy has absolute world class potential personally and this would be the dream signing if we could get him perm

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

A lot of people seem down on broja for his second half of the season form, but if he had kept it up we would have zero chance ..so maybe a blessing 

I think the guy has absolute world class potential personally and this would be the dream signing if we could get him perm

You also think we should throw Che out with the bathwater so forgive me for taking your observation with a pinch of salt 

Personally we have Che snd need someone next to him with a good pedigree, Im not completely enamoured with Broja, Mara feels like he has as much about him and a higher potential ceiling

2 weeks ago Id of said we were still likely to sign Broja… now Im not so sure

30 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

AMN has had a couple of wilderness years so difficult to judge what current form is like but if he’s anything like he was a few years ago then he’s a great signing. Obviously versatile and covers a few positions but he also seems to have quite a varied skill set. Tackles, good range of passes, strong on the ball but the thing I like the most is he can go past players and has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Can’t finish for toffee mind but can’t have it all. He’ll be 25 in a few day so still at a good age as well.

AMN may theoretically cover many positions but he's fallen out with his manager partly because he allegedly doesn't want to play anywhere except centre-mid.

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You also think we should throw Che out with the bathwater so forgive me for taking your observation with a pinch of salt 

Personally we have Che snd need someone next to him with a good pedigree, Im not completely enamoured with Broja, Mara feels like he has as much about him and a higher potential ceiling

2 weeks ago Id of said we were still likely to sign Broja… now Im not so sure

Jury is still out for me on che, 4 goals in two games is a good start. But I think the hype for him at the minute is a bit over the top, first Leicester goal was a easy chance and the two goals vs  Cambridge is a bit too early to think he’s gonna be our next Danny ings 

pleasantly surprised with Mara too but broja’ just had that unique skill set of being freakishly fast for a big man all the tools are there to be a absolute superstar 

10 minutes ago, Verbal said:

AMN may theoretically cover many positions but he's fallen out with his manager partly because he allegedly doesn't want to play anywhere except centre-mid.

And yet he’s played several different positions. Explain that. Course he’s got a preferred position and most games he’d probably play there, but he’s also filled in when and where needed. 

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

And yet he’s played several different positions. Explain that. Course he’s got a preferred position and most games he’d probably play there, but he’s also filled in when and where needed. 

And then was dropped because he didn't.

8 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Jury is still out for me on che, 4 goals in two games is a good start. But I think the hype for him at the minute is a bit over the top, first Leicester goal was a easy chance and the two goals vs  Cambridge is a bit too early to think he’s gonna be our next Danny ings 

pleasantly surprised with Mara too but broja’ just had that unique skill set of being freakishly fast for a big man all the tools are there to be a absolute superstar 

Your problem is you’re judging him off just goals, even if Adam Armstrong scored Che’s goals Saturday Id still be asking for Che to start over him this Saturday… because it was him that changed the game with his ability to harass and hold the ball up… none of our other options dk that

Broja was ok, scored a few in a purple patch, FWIW I think he’ll be a decent prem forward, good feet, good eye for goal, decent 10 yard burst yeah.. but he isn’t worth 30m imo

28 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Regarding Rangers that Alfredo Moorelos if one i'd have :)

The same guy who has been binned by the manager for attitude/fitness problems and has been sent off countless times. Steer well clear. He would be fighting Ralph after one session 😂

30 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

No, that’s not true, or at least as far as I can see. Can’t find anything to show he’s refused to play. Feel free to post a link if you can find it though.

I don't doubt how strongly you believe what you say. Nonetheless, after failing to lock down a midfield position at Arsenal, and not wanting to play at full back, he was loaned out to West Brom, which literally no one thought went well. His loan at Roma last season passed equally uneventfully.  A move to Nottm Forest went south because Neco Williams was the preferred choice. I'd love AMN to come here and prove his Arsenal critics (of which there are many) wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

https://www.justarsenal.com/maitland-niles-may-regret-refusing-to-play-as-a-defender-at-arsenal/300411

You do sense that our loan choices have either gone elsewhere and we are scrapping for what’s left.

I just hope our money offers for permanent players get accepted in the next couple of days otherwise we are going to come unstuck if Che gets injured.

4 hours ago, Pilchards said:

You do sense that our loan choices have either gone elsewhere and we are scrapping for what’s left.

I just hope our money offers for permanent players get accepted in the next couple of days otherwise we are going to come unstuck if Che gets injured.

I think AMN would be a very shrewd loan signing tbh, Bring in another 1 who could play any position up top and that's 2 Versatile Smart loans for me.

8 hours ago, Verbal said:

I don't doubt how strongly you believe what you say. Nonetheless, after failing to lock down a midfield position at Arsenal, and not wanting to play at full back, he was loaned out to West Brom, which literally no one thought went well. His loan at Roma last season passed equally uneventfully.  A move to Nottm Forest went south because Neco Williams was the preferred choice. I'd love AMN to come here and prove his Arsenal critics (of which there are many) wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

https://www.justarsenal.com/maitland-niles-may-regret-refusing-to-play-as-a-defender-at-arsenal/300411

His loan move to WBA didn't go well? I did wonder  He ran the game against us, but WBA were poor in the run in, so perhaps that game was a blip.

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I think AMN would be a very shrewd loan signing tbh, Bring in another 1 who could play any position up top and that's 2 Versatile Smart loans for me.

Or is he just another Walcott , who nagged Wenger to play central striker and proved once and for all that he wasn’t the new Henry when he was given that chance .

6 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Or is he just another Walcott , who nagged Wenger to play central striker and proved once and for all that he wasn’t the new Henry when he was given that chance .

To be fair back then he was a hell of a lot better than the winger we played as striker who was going to be the new Henry !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Verbal said:

Considering that his flexibility to play multiple roles is the biggest attraction to signing him, the views of that particular writer and many agreeing fans in the comments would suggest he wouldn’t be happy covering all those roles? Which is concerning if we are bringing him in to cover for Tino’s injury too, for example.

It’s plausible that after his WBA and Roma loans he might have realised to be a PL player he needs to be willing to play multiple roles, but if not we should avoid this, rather than have an unhappy player on loan. I was pleased when this link came back up but reading that article has introduced doubt.

22 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

To be fair back then he was a hell of a lot better than the winger we played as striker who was going to be the new Henry !

Ryan Smith? I also think Ricardo Fuller claimed he was better than Henry once.

9 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

Aston Villa: Hi, is that Southampton, how much do you want for that Bednarek guy?

Southampton: He's not great to be honest, so we'll take a half-decent fee if that works for you?

Sounds exactly how the dialogue would go really so this must be legitimate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Sunglasses Ron said:

Aston Villa: Hi, is that Southampton, how much do you want for that Bednarek guy?

Southampton: He's not great to be honest, so we'll take a half-decent fee if that works for you?

That’s talkshite for you 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

They definitely do that quite a lot.

That said, I remember Salisu was out there in the public domain for several weeks before he officially signed. 

every now and then a journalist prediction/agent placed story that links us to a player coincides with an actual transfer. Saints certainly won't have informed the press that they are in for a player. The selling club might, to create a bidding war, as might an agent, hoping to get more interest/a bigger final wage. 

Often, the deal is done, and we hear about it on the grapevine, but the don't announce it until they are ready to do the PR stuff. So there is a day or two of build up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Some of the "journalism" around football in general and transfers particularly is laughable.  Yesterday I read an article saying Saints had been "offered" Maitland-Niles by Arsenal and then went on to say that he had a year left on his contract but a further year as an option which they believed would strengthen Arsenals hand in negotiations.  Erm, no, if Arsenal want rid then having him on a longer contract is at best irrelevant and at worst detrimental to getting a good price because other clubs will know how much it will cost you to keep a player you don't want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Some of the "journalism" around football in general and transfers particularly is laughable.  Yesterday I read an article saying Saints had been "offered" Maitland-Niles by Arsenal and then went on to say that he had a year left on his contract but a further year as an option which they believed would strengthen Arsenals hand in negotiations.  Erm, no, if Arsenal want rid then having him on a longer contract is at best irrelevant and at worst detrimental to getting a good price because other clubs will know how much it will cost you to keep a player you don't want.

"Arsenal want rid". These are the crucial words. The big clubs somehow sell their unwanted players for huge amounts. OK, so they tend to be better players, but if they want rid, they are not good enough.

Wonder what the ideal deal is for Saints. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

"Arsenal want rid". These are the crucial words. The big clubs somehow sell their unwanted players for huge amounts. OK, so they tend to be better players, but if they want rid, they are not good enough.

Wonder what the ideal deal is for Saints. 

To be fair big clubs also have problems moving players on too.  Look at Chelsea - they had Danny Drinkwater hanging around like an albatross around their neck for virtually all his contract,  Ross Barkely and to an extent Loftus-Cheek are in the same boat.  No one can afford the amounts they want for them.  I suspect Man Utd have a string of players they would like to get shot of as well. 

Arsenal will be well aware that the amount they can get for AMN is small at the moment and negligent after this window - their only hope is try to stimulate some interest and hope that generates a bit of a bidding war.  Doesn't look likely but you never know.  If no other club shows an interest then I reckon we could probably pick him up for a pretty small amount.  Seems like we're looking at a loan though which is fair enough.

29 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wasn't that because of the work permit issue?

Yes, I recall there were a few things that made his transfer more drawn out than others (Covid issues being another of course).

Another notable example I can think of (albeit a while back) was Van Dijk. I remember it seeming like an eternity between the first rumors of his move and him actually being announced.  I was in Peppa Pig world when the pics of him in a Saints shirt finally landed 🙂

I'd have to check this, but pretty sure Adam Armstrong was also widely known as coming well before it was announced.

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

every now and then a journalist prediction/agent placed story that links us to a player coincides with an actual transfer. Saints certainly won't have informed the press that they are in for a player. The selling club might, to create a bidding war, as might an agent, hoping to get more interest/a bigger final wage. 

Often, the deal is done, and we hear about it on the grapevine, but the don't announce it until they are ready to do the PR stuff. So there is a day or two of build up.

Yup, definitely agree that Saints keep a low profile when it comes to their dealings, which is how signings like Bella-Kotchap come pretty much out-of-the-blue.  As you say though, they don't always have full control, so it's still not uncommon for us to know that something is likely to happen in advance.

Not convinced that Stuart Armstrong is rated that highly by Ralph - the injury business at the start of last season was odd.  Entirely possible it could have been genuine but didn't he get called up by Scotland and go away with them despite being "injured"?  Probably nothing in it but didn't feel entirely plausible.  Hope he stays as he's the best 10 we have (although Aribo may challenge him for that). 

Not fussed about Moi though, he's done better than expected since he returned but think we could do better.  Slower league would be ideal for him.