Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In my original post on this thread you responded with you’d prefer Bedenark. So unless you’d prefer a player that is worse, then you must think Bednarek is better, it’s not hard. 

You clearly didn't read/understand my entire post. Especially the final sentence. 

Who was the last first team player we signed from a Premier League club?

Seems to me like it’s something we very rarely do these days. Our market is youngsters from English clubs, out of favour squad players from the Premier League, first team players from the Championship, or players from foreign clubs who are much cheaper than their PL equivalents.

Edited by The Kraken

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Who was the last first team player we signed from a Premier League club?

Seems to me like it’s something very rarely do these days. Our market is youngsters from English clubs or players from foreign clubs who are much cheaper than their PL equivalents.

Guess that depends what you classify as first team:

Walcott
KWP
Ings
Redmond (Norwich just relegated)
McCarthy
Romeu
Shane Long
Bertrand

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Guess that depends what you classify as first team:

Walcott
KWP
Ings
Redmond (Norwich just relegated)
McCarthy
Romeu
Shane Long
Bertrand

Yes, it’s a bit of a vague term, granted.

My meaning was players who are highly valued by their clubs and start a minimum of around half of the league games over the course of a season. If you like, KWP, JWP, Bednarek, Salisu are amongst our first teamers. Our squad players are the likes of Long, Lyanco, Djnepo, Diallo.

I appreciate its not the best terminology. My point is that we rarely capture players from the Premier League who are very regular starters for their side (it’s just too expensive and there’s often better value elsewhere ).

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Yes, it’s a bit of a vague term, granted.

My meaning was players who are highly valued by their clubs and start a minimum of around half of the league games over the course of a season. If you like, KWP, JWP, Bednarek, Salisu are amongst our first teamers. Our squad players are the likes of Long, Lyanco, Djnepo, Diallo.

I appreciate its not the best terminology. My point is that we rarely capture players from the Premier League who are very regular starters for their side (it’s just too expensive and there’s often better value elsewhere ).

We are one of the less well off sides, so we are never going to be able to afford to prise away a regular for another Premiership side. It costs a fortune to buy players that Prem teams actually rate. 

What sides of our size (the likes of Palace, Brighton, Watford, Burnley, Norwich, Fulham, West Brom) and financial weight class have bought that kind of player?

Leicester's signed Vestergaard and Bertrand. But they have been living off the CL money and the huge player sales the last couple of seasons. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

We are one of the less well off sides, so we are never going to be able to afford to prise away a regular for another Premiership side. It costs a fortune to buy players that Prem teams actually rate. 

What sides of our size (the likes of Palace, Brighton, Watford, Burnley, Norwich, Fulham, West Brom) and financial weight class have bought that kind of player?

Leicester's signed Vestergaard and Bertrand. But they have been living off the CL money and the huge player sales the last couple of seasons. 

I’m not disagreeing. It’s why I think we won’t sign someone like Lascelles, as the conversation was about previously. Don’t think we’ve got any chance of a signing like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’m not disagreeing. It’s why I think we won’t sign someone like Lascelles, as the conversation was about previously. Don’t think we’ve got any chance of a signing like that.

Agreed. I don't see us signing Lascelles at all. Just not good enough on the ball. Burnley might consider him to replace Tarkowski, but if you want to play out from the back, he's not you man.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Agreed. I don't see us signing Lascelles at all. Just not good enough on the ball. Burnley might consider him to replace Tarkowski, but if you want to play out from the back, he's not you man.

I just wish we’d sign a defender who can defend

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I just wish we’d sign a defender who can defend

fast, strong and good in the air. Knows where to be, reads the game and can control and pass the football.  How do we sign that for £10m unless they are Chelsea youth players?

1 minute ago, Chez said:

fast, strong and good in the air. Knows where to be, reads the game and can control and pass the football.  How do we sign that for £10m unless they are Chelsea youth players?

Tarkowski available for nothing better than any defender we’ve got

emma will sort it out for us 

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Tarkowski available for nothing better than any defender we’ve got

emma will sort it out for us 

But he ain't coming to us though, even if we offered more money than West Ham and Newcastle. 

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

This shows exactly why stats can be misleading. Bednarek has been utter garbage for 2 years. 

Salisu has been utter garbage since his injury. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

This shows exactly why stats can be misleading. Bednarek has been utter garbage for 2 years. 

Exactly they make so many interceptions because there 1st touch is so bad lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Appy said:

Exactly. This sort of nonsense shows why the statsmen don’t know what actually goes on on the pitch 

• Like 1

Emmanuel Dennis will have plenty of interest following Watfords relegation. Seem to recall that we were interested when he was at Bruges. Thought he looked very good in a poor Watford team. Could be a good replacement for Long

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Saints said:

Sander Berge cdajfu

Didn't Sheffield United pay silly money for him? £35m+. 

He's out of our range. 

Edit: £22m (still more than our record transfer), and slapped a £35m value on him last season when bigger clubs started eying him up.

Edited by qwertyell

5 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Didn't Sheffield United pay silly money for him? £35m+. 

He's out of our range. 

Rumoured as £22 million but officially undisclosed. Transfermrkt has him as worth £14 and a half million. If they don't get promoted he may want out. £35 million was the amount they quoted Arsenal when they wanted him last year before they were relegated. They wouldn't get that now.

Bradford is a good move for him as I think he is absolutely awful.

Seems credible that we are going to be in for Gavin Bazunu. Good GK bt all accounts and 10 caps for Ireland aged 20.

How much would City let him go for, with a buyback option? £10m?

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

How much would City let him go for, with a buyback option? £10m?

Probably right.  Ironically, Angus Gunn is a good benchmark for ££‘s value re: a City keeper.

As an aside, I wonder if Fraser will go for games? or will he go for an archetypal Summer move to a City/Chelsea to warm the bench? (Or not even be on the bench as 3rd choice)

Edited by SuperSAINT

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

As an aside, I wonder if Fraser will go for games? or will he go for an archetypal Summer move to a City/Chelsea to warm the bench? (Or not even be on the bench as 3rd choice)

where does he get games?

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

where does he get games?

Not in the Premier League.

Bazunu would be a good signing. Surely everyone on here knows a few Pompey fans to ask about him. The ones I know all think he's excellent and they would have been further down the league without him.

I think Liam Delap will join on loan. Armando Broja will return to Chelsea and likely be a bit-part of their squad next season or join a bigger club like West Ham for £25m. (A fee I personally don’t think he’s worth).

If Fraser Forster is going then Christ I hope we actually buy a solid number one keeper to replace him. None of this “youngster to compete” bollocks - that was Angus Gunn and when he came here he operated as a turnstile pretty much from the off.

It’s central defence where we need experience; and an attacking midfielder and a winger, we need to start having players who will run with the ball at the opposition, not turn around and pass sideways or backwards.

Cabellero will sign a new one year deal.

And if you think the likes of Walcott are going to leave you can dream on, I wouldn’t walk away from £50k a week knowing full well I wouldn’t get anywhere near that at another club.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

If that's the level we're replacing Broja with then I'm happy with that. Absolutely huge CF. I think he's Peter Crouch height, he certainly looks it anyway.

Bayern are/were looking at him for the Lewandowski replacement.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

If that's the level we're replacing Broja with then I'm happy with that. Absolutely huge CF. I think he's Peter Crouch height, he certainly looks it anyway.

Never seen him play, but I really like his best of youtube video. Good feet, vision and seems to actually want to get into scoring positions, which is not always true of strikers. Looks two footed, plays with his head up and has that size. Looks much quicker than Crouchie ever was. 

22 goals in 48 games in the Bundesliga top flight seems pretty good.

Missed the entire first half of the season with a shoulder injury. Missed a lot of games in his first season with a cruciate injury. Done well to come back from that I guess.

One year left on his current contract. 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Ornstein also says Benfica looking at him to replace Darwin Nunez, too.

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

How much do you think Burnley would want to allow Nathan Collins to leave, assuming they go down? Probably a number of other players they will sell well before letting him go, Cornet being one of them. 

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

How much do you think Burnley would want to allow Nathan Collins to leave, assuming they go down? Probably a number of other players they will sell well before letting him go, Cornet being one of them. 

Yeah thought Collins played well against spurs but not seen that much else of him. Definitely built for the physical game but not bad with bringing the ball out. Would imagine 15 to 20m might be enough if they go down.

9 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Yeah thought Collins played well against spurs but not seen that much else of him. Definitely built for the physical game but not bad with bringing the ball out. Would imagine 15 to 20m might be enough if they go down.

I guess a lot will depend on the percentage of the £65m loan they have to pay back this summer (should they go down), how much money is now left in the bank (the Chris Wood sale/Weghorst buy will have helped) and what kind of suitors they find for Pope, McNeil and Cornet.

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Scored so many goals and had so many good touches/passes on skills video they only showed each one once rather that 3-4 times like they do when they're padding out the video.

we could probably match the wages they'd offer, but they are on a different level in terms of prestige.  Transfer funds an issue for us too. If they sell their striker for £50m, they will have funds to buy another. Who are we selling this summer to fund our incoming transfers?

• Like 1

Benfica’s record signing is Nunez for £21m, according to transfermarkt. So, they’re playing with similar budgets to us, unless they make a big sale, which will likely be Nunez this summer. I don’t think beating Befica to a signing would be too unrealistic. It just depends on if the player believes the Premier League to be a greater platform than playing in the Champions League, which Benfica aren’t guaranteed to qualify for next season.