Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, DT said:

I think Spurs is definitely an option. Could provide service to Kane et al, would fit in easily alongside Hojberg, Levy is quite used to taking players from us (usually too cheaply). Also, not far, stays in England picture, doubles his money probably, and gets CL football. Really think we should get used to the issue that it's probably about getting as much money as we can for him and potentially finding a replacement first (so cheaper)

Is he quite used to taking players from us? Only ones I can remember since we came up are Wanyama and PEH, where they had one year left on their contracts and we couldn’t turn down the money. And with one of those in return we got arguably one of our best full backs for a number of years. 

Can you genuinely see Spurs forking out what it will take for us to sell (£60-70m I suspect)? They’ve already got £60m they’ll need to lay/ have laid out for Kulusevski and Bentancur, plus they need some full back improvements. 

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Appy said:

JWP probably should move on for his career, but no one is going to pay enough for him. 

I've just been told again about Everton (originally said this last season). Apparently he was there over the last week or two. I don't believe they would have the money for it and I don't believe a better team wouldn't come in for his to gazump them for him. I'd be shocked if this happened.

1 hour ago, DT said:

I think Spurs is definitely an option. Could provide service to Kane et al, would fit in easily alongside Hojberg, Levy is quite used to taking players from us (usually too cheaply). Also, not far, stays in England picture, doubles his money probably, and gets CL football. Really think we should get used to the issue that it's probably about getting as much money as we can for him and potentially finding a replacement first (so cheaper)

I'm not saying it's impossible that he goes - far from it. But unless there's a release clause, there's not a chance in hell that Levy is paying what JWP would cost with 4 years left on his contract. If he goes, I think it will be to a 'more money than sense and desperate to be seen to be progressing at almost any cost' type of club. Somewhere where he'll get in the side, where they're prepared to pay the over-inflated transfer fee that we'd need in order to justify the sale, and where they can override any concerns about quality by turning his head with ludicrous wages. Like Newcastle, for example. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WestMidSaint said:

I've just been told again about Everton (originally said this last season). Apparently he was there over the last week or two. I don't believe they would have the money for it and I don't believe a better team wouldn't come in for his to gazump them for him. I'd be shocked if this happened.

Everton won’t be spending anywhere near that amount. 

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Is he quite used to taking players from us? Only ones I can remember since we came up are Wanyama and PEH, where they had one year left on their contracts and we couldn’t turn down the money. And with one of those in return we got arguably one of our best full backs for a number of years. 

Can you genuinely see Spurs forking out what it will take for us to sell (£60-70m I suspect)? They’ve already got £60m they’ll need to lay/ have laid out for Kulusevski and Bentancur, plus they need some full back improvements. 

You’re forgetting the Alderwiereld (or however you spell it) affair

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Pretty much how I see it as well. I think he's realistic enough to know that he won't get much game time at a top four club, which in turn will hamper his England ambitions. The only top 6 club I could see him at is Arsenal. 

what about United? They need midfielders (Matic, Pogba, Lingard and Mata are all departing, and Pereira (one year left on his contract) and van de Beek obviously pushed out on loan) and they are not going to suddenly stop spending money now. Maybe Frenkie de Jong signs from Barca, maybe he doesn't.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

what about United? They need midfielders (Matic, Pogba, Lingard and Mata are all departing, and Pereira (one year left on his contract) and van de Beek obviously pushed out on loan) and they are not going to suddenly stop spending money now. Maybe Frenkie de Jong signs from Barca, maybe he doesn't.

Also, was linked in the press I think

Southampton goalkeeeper Fraser Forster said goodbye to his team-mates on Thursday, & could agree a deal to join Tottenham as early as next week #saintsfc @David_Ornstein

At least we have a better keeper. Oh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Southampton goalkeeeper Fraser Forster said goodbye to his team-mates on Thursday, & could agree a deal to join Tottenham as early as next week #saintsfc @David_Ornstein

All the best Fraser, except in any game that could impact us in the slightest.

42 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Cue JWP in August: "Yeah obviously I'm good friends with Frase and he only had good things to say about the club."

😉

The knowledge that Levy will offer us an old farthing, and the next Forecast rather than Walker Peters, makes me little happier inside as it's less likely to happen. 🙂

40 minutes ago, DT said:

Good enough for champions league. Not good enough for Saints

Really don’t understand what you are struggling to comprehend. He’ll be going as a back up, will play minimal games. And the club offered him a deal which he turned down. 

Are you genuinely going to be like this all summer? Tedious.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DT said:

Good enough for champions league. Not good enough for Saints

He turned down a new contract. That’s not on the club, that’s his decision; and equally £80k saved immediately when he goes.

Cheer up. There are other goalkeepers out there that will make you just as happy and won’t break your heart.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monk said:

Maxwell Cornet if Burnley go down?

I dunno, not sure about him. Seems very inconsistent and injury prone, not sure we need another of those. I'd be more inclined to take a look at McNeil if we are shopping at Turf Moor.

And obviously Pope, but he's off to much bigger clubs than ourselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I dunno, not sure about him. Seems very inconsistent and injury prone, not sure we need another of those. I'd be more inclined to take a look at McNeil if we are shopping at Turf Moor.

who ever we get will have a bright start before boring us all to death, much like all our other players under Hassenhuttl

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I’d probably take an inconsistent goal scorer over ones who consistently don’t score :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Out of interest where do you think Pope will go? Not sure he'd be willing to be a number two anywhere. Possibly can see West Ham as replacement for Fabanski or Newcastle perhaps.

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Out of interest where do you think Pope will go? Not sure he'd be willing to be a number two anywhere. Possibly can see West Ham as replacement for Fabanski or Newcastle perhaps.

I can see Leicester and West Ham being in the mix if he becomes available. Rumours are that Leicester are looking for a replacement for Kasper this summer, and WHU need to replace Fabianski sooner rather than later.

I think Newcastle have snapped up Henderson, so that's them out of the mix.

11 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’d probably take an inconsistent goal scorer over ones who consistently don’t score :) 

Yep, true...! He'd certainly add some pace and power to our attack, not really sure Burnley is ever going to be the club to get the best out of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

This is the thread for potential players coming in, ones that want to play for us, not ones that are departing to earn more money at Spurs. 😉

You've got strong opinions about the keeper position DT. Who do you fancy as a replacement? 

48 minutes ago, Monk said:

Maxwell Cornet if Burnley go down?

Burnley fans seem to have mixed feelings about him. He hit the ground running with some brilliant goals early doors, but he has faded. They think the African cup of nations affected his form. They are playing him up front rather than on the left side. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

West Ham are buying Areola I believe. Doesn't look like there's a whole host of options for Pope around, but then again does anyone really see us forking out money for a player without any resale value?

If both FF and McCarthy were departing, then maybe one of the two incoming could be a 30 year old, but can't see us doing so now. It just wouldn't follow the business model the management want to follow.

With Theo looking like he is going to the MLS (Crocker has gotten lucky there), and Fraser gone, looks like huge scope to completely remould the squad with the wages freed up. 

Bednarek and Ely almost certainly going as well, no talk of a new contract for the latter and Jan has looked and played like a smacked arse for some time, culmination the Man City debacle. Redmond very likely to be going and could be a squad option for another PL club, maybe Bournemouth or Fulham. Tella really needs to move on at 23 having not really established a solid place and follow Obafemi’s lead. 

Oriol only a year left although personally I’d let him see that out, Diallo at a similar age to Tella, needs to play and move on to do that. Could be a good player at a better club. AA seeemingly unsettled and unless Ralph resigns I think he is moving on. I don’t think Long has done enough to earn another deal. Willy may get another 12 months as third choice/ coach. Djenepo on his way, one year left.

That leaves fit for August and in contract as McC, KWP, Stephens, Lyanco, Salisu (if not sold), Perraud, Small, JWP (if not sold), Romeu, Stuart Arm, Smallbone (sigh, loan please), Adams. Wow, can see the above happening quite easily so Crocker is looking for a lot more than a youth GK, MC and striker! Keeping Ralph will not the cheap option plus new back room team.

Hope the club already has a few deals ready to announce at the end of the month as the free agent market will be a dogfight.

Edited by saint1977
SA