Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Never going to happen but would love us to be in the mix for either Pope or Henderson

It's going to be the Fiorentina reserve goalkeeper or the youngster who played for Pompey this season. On the plus side, anybody's got to be better than McCarthy. The problem is Ralph is still going to pick McCarthy for some games, including the ones which give us our only chance of winning a trophy in the League Cup and FA Cup.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Never going to happen but would love us to be in the mix for either Pope or Henderson

How's this for a shopping list:

Pope, Tarkowski (free), McNeil, Cornet, Weghorst....

Burnley are going to get torn to shreds given their financial position and clueless owners. No reason we shouldn't get in on the action I say! I'd like to think Cork and Jayrod would have a few good things to say about Saints, and ultimately all of those players go into our starting 11.

(I know we don't have the wonga for most of these players, that and tarkowski as a minimum is going to a more attractive proposition than saints). But if we don't seriously look at some of those players i'd be a little bit worried. Although even the FFP cheating Evertonians can outspend us and are supposedly offering tarkowski £120k a week already.

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

McNeil is an old fashioned out and out winger. We don't play with wingers, and he'd cost a bomb, I can't see that one happening unless we sign a new manager and change system, which looks very unlikely.

What like Djenpo the full back, and Valery and the CB 😁 

• Haha 1

Just now, Saint86 said:

What like Djenpo the full back, and Valery and the CB 😁 

Think with Valery it was more than he was useless at RB so tried him in a different place, and I think he's not been bad at all when he's played right of a back 3 this season.  He is however a very limited player.

Djenepo has just been pretty terrible and never got any better. He was the wrong signing at the time.

• Like 1

McNeil played 38 games this season and scored 0 goals, he is the absolute last thing we need. 

Before that...

36 games, 2 goals.

38 games, 2 goals.

There wasn't particularly anything impressive about Weghorst either, who even got dropped for their most important games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chez said:

I'm sure he signed that contract to ensure he got big money.

Oh absolutely that as well, taken as read, but he didn't have to sign, he could easily have opted for a quick move and equally quick buck.

It feels like his intentions were honourable. A rarity these days.

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Burnley are going to get torn to shreds given their financial position and clueless owners. No reason we shouldn't get in on the action I say! I'd like to think Cork and Jayrod would have a few good things to say about Saints, and ultimately all of those players go into our starting 11.

(I know we don't have the wonga for most of these players, that and tarkowski as a minimum is going to a more attractive proposition than saints). But if we don't seriously look at some of those players i'd be a little bit worried. Although even the FFP cheating Evertonians can outspend us and are supposedly offering tarkowski £120k a week already.

On one of the Burnley forums they were speculating that Pope is valued by the club at £40m, Burnley will be trying to cash in on some of their player assets in the transfer window.

44 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Spurs just announced a £150m cash injection… now I’m slightly more concerned about JWP.

What a strange thing to announce. So any club they approach for a player is now putting a hefty mark up on the price. Not Levy’s usual way at all.

1 hour ago, M271 said:

On one of the Burnley forums they were speculating that Pope is valued by the club at £40m, Burnley will be trying to cash in on some of their player assets in the transfer window.

I've heard their owners bought under leveraged buyout where they took on a significant proportion of debt for the club, and relegation triggers a repayment of that debt to the owners. Not sure exactly the mechanics of it, but to me they are a club who need cash soon. If they don't get 40m for Pope, an offer of 20m but lots of it straight away might help!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

What a strange thing to announce. So any club they approach for a player is now putting a hefty mark up on the price. Not Levy’s usual way at all.

Some suggestions that it’s a requirement for shareholders etc 

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

We aren't going to get tarkowski. Don't see us being willing to pay the money for older players like wieghorst or pope. My guess is McNeill will be priced stupidly. Cornet might be the only one (dependent on what Burnley are seeking)

Depending on how much we have to spend I wouldn't be adverse to picking up cork on a free as a stopgap.

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I predict Saints will not 'move on' as many as we on here want, and we will be underwhelmed by those that are brought in.

That's disappointing. Any chance you could predict a summer clear out and lots of surprising, talented signings? You don't have to believe it. I can just read it and pretend. 🙂

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Its to fight the potential narrative that conte might spin about not having funds etc so he can leave. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Urgh have we really? We should be asking £75m for him this summer. If we've included a release clause for £50m or less (given only top 4 clubs could afford more), that's pretty damn stupid.

Apparently no clause I  his last contract. 

https://www.givemesport.com/88011559-southampton-100k-a-week-star-has-handcuffed-himself-at-st-marys

• Like 1

Ok unless I've missed it the only rumours we are seeing are JWP leaving and a goalkeeper coming in.

So let me be the first to pluck some out of the air and say Noni Madueke or Cody Gakpo at PSV - both young attacking midfielders who are very technical, fast and score and assist.

Gakpo especially is looking mustard and PSV like ourselves are up for selling (they are also looking at selling Sangarre who we couldnt sign cos of him being too cheap so we went to Diallo) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

It's going to be the Fiorentina reserve goalkeeper or the youngster who played for Pompey this season. On the plus side, anybody's got to be better than McCarthy. The problem is Ralph is still going to pick McCarthy for some games, including the ones which give us our only chance of winning a trophy in the League Cup and FA Cup.

Angus Gunn and Paulo Gazzaniga would suggest otherwise….

We really should just spend the cash and bring in an experienced No1 keeper and not another young lad. Suicidal decision making if we go down the ‘for the future root’ when the keeper is a critical position.

I’m fully expecting Alex McCarthy in goal for the first game next season, and preparing to be underwhelmed by our summer business. 
I hope I’m wrong 🤞🤞

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I predict Saints will not 'move on' as many as we on here want, and we will be underwhelmed by those that are brought in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the consensus last summer was that we'd done pretty good business in the circumstances

• Like 2

Hypothetical but it seems quite likely Ings will move again as Gerrard prefers Watkins and they want to sign another striker too.

Would you take Ings back for a reasonable fee? Reckon he would almost be too embarassed to return?

Would be a bit annoying seeing him sign for someone like Brighton!

Always feel like he is a player who needs to be playing 90mins every week to be at his best.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hypothetical but it seems quite likely Ings will move again as Gerrard prefers Watkins and they want to sign another striker too.

Would you take Ings back for a reasonable fee? Reckon he would almost be too embarassed to return?

Always feel like he is a player who needs to be playing 90mins every week to be at his best.

No.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Absolutely I would, if the fee was reasonable.

If we don't find some goalscorers next season we will be relegated, simple as, and I don't think there's an abundance of quality strikers out there within our budget and willing to sign for us.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yep 

• Like 1

Consider what we'll bring in in terms of transfer fees this summer..... Oh yeah, absolute jack.

Who in their right mind would take Djenepo for example, let alone for a fee. He'll be loaned out for the year until his contract is up.
Walcott - only an overseas club will take him on those kind of wages.
The rest of this squad bar maybe four or five players you could sell quite comfortably.

I echo the person above who said about Noni Madueke or Cody Gakpo (PSV).

I think those suggesting Nick Pope or James Tarkowski have been playing to much FIFA, they will have much better offers from much better teams. We are NOT a good team.

There needs to be a bit of a revolution (on the outside looking in) of the club in order to get players interested. Players wanting to join this "new start".
All players see at the moment is "Southampton who finished 15th and sleep-walked closer to a relegation battle with no fight in them for months". Basically the equivalent of what Burnley have been the past few seasons.

We all know what will happen though. We'll sign maybe three or four unknowns from obscure divisions around Europe on the cheap and hope for the "potential" player to spring up; despite the fact it's pretty fucking evident we need established players now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We did well getting shot of Ings when we did (perhaps I didn't think so at the time). He had one good season for us and that was his peak. He has been disappointing to say the least at Villa, no way should we consider having him back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Ok unless I've missed it the only rumours we are seeing are JWP leaving and a goalkeeper coming in.

So let me be the first to pluck some out of the air and say Noni Madueke or Cody Gakpo at PSV - both young attacking midfielders who are very technical, fast and score and assist.

Gakpo especially is looking mustard and PSV like ourselves are up for selling (they are also looking at selling Sangarre who we couldnt sign cos of him being too cheap so we went to Diallo) 

Some good old fashioned CC scouting suggestions!

Our sort of player, but Leicester were linked for around £30m last summer, so probably out of our range.

I vaguely recall Sangare being linked with Palace recently.  He fit the bill for us, IMO.

Not seen much of Gakpo.

Transfer League for the last 5 Seasons
# Net Spend last 5 Years Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season
1 Manchester City £818.5 M £312.9 M £505.6 M £101.1 M
2 Manchester United £611.1 M £232.2 M £378.9 M £75.8 M
4 Chelsea £656.9 M £523.6 M £133.2 M £26.6 M
3 Everton £536.5 M £261.5 M £275.0 M £55.0 M
5 Arsenal £443.1 M £194.2 M £249.0 M £49.8 M
6 Brighton & Hove Albion £212.0 M £14.6 M £197.4 M £39.5 M
7 Liverpool £470.9 M £378.5 M £92.4 M £18.5 M
8 AFC Bournemouth £204.1 M £70.7 M £133.4 M £26.7 M
9 West Ham £308.1 M £152.4 M £155.7 M £31.1 M
14 Wolverhampton Wanderers £269.4 M £84.7 M £184.8 M £37.0 M
10 Leicester £381.4 M £268.8 M £112.6 M £22.5 M
11 Crystal Palace £161.5 M £105.3 M £56.2 M £11.2 M
15 Watford £204.0 M £108.8 M £95.2 M £19.0 M
12 Newcastle United £273.6 M £166.2 M £107.5 M £21.5 M
15 Aston Villa £276.2 M £78.1 M £198.1 M £39.6 M
16 Burnley £126.6 M £74.1 M £52.5 M £10.5 M
17 Tottenham £322.3 M £227.7 M £94.6 M £18.9 M
18 Sheffield United £55.0 M £14.7 M £40.3 M £08.1 M
19 Southampton £240.4 M £243.2 M -£02.8 M -£00.6 M
20 Norwich City £65.2 M £112.0 M -£46.8 M -£09.4 M

That's quite ridiculous really and it's quite incredible we're still in the Premier League when you look at it like that. We've got no right to be.

That HAS to change this summer, otherwise it's daft to expect anything other than a relegation battle and potential relegation. Christ, Bournemouth haven't been in the league for 2 years and they're still miles away. Brighton up in 6th, Palace in 11th, even Watford and Burnley have higher spends than us and they've been relegated. We've got to be able to compete with those teams and stop searching around for what we can sell to fund anything we bring in. Otherwise we are simply not rich enough to remain in this league and we should drop out for our benefit.

This is why Ralph can't shoulder all the blame, we're actually overachieving. We've been Top of the PL and finished on 52 points in that time as well.

There are obviously examples where money doesn't buy success (Everton and Bournemouth sticking out) but the other extreme of not spending a penny is simply not sustainable.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

Rasmus Ankerson did a fair job of unearthing gems for Midtjylland and Brentford did well with the lowest wage bill in the League.

Sports Republic have sold themselves on having this scouting app and network in the background.

We should at least trust that this isn't the Gao era, we've got an additional decent sporting mind in the leadership team.

I can't see us getting huge wage players, but I'm glass half full enough to think there'll be marked differences in the squad come August.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's quite ridiculous really and it's quite incredible we're still in the Premier League when you look at it like that. We've got no right to be.

That HAS to change this summer, otherwise it's daft to expect anything other than a relegation battle and potential relegation. Christ, Bournemouth haven't been in the league for 2 years and they're still miles away. Brighton up in 6th, Palace in 11th, even Watford and Burnley have higher spends than us and they've been relegated. We've got to be able to compete with those teams and stop searching around for what we can sell to fund anything we bring in. Otherwise we are simply not rich enough to remain in this league and we should drop out for our benefit.

This is why Ralph can't shoulder all the blame, we're actually overachieving. We've been Top of the PL and finished on 52 points in that time as well.

There are obviously examples where money doesn't buy success (Everton and Bournemouth sticking out) but the other extreme of not spending a penny is simply not sustainable.

Even more concerning than that is that after 11 years of premier league money how badly run have we been that we were still 10s of millions in debt despite funding all transfers from sales. It’s hardly like we’ve pushed the boat out on transfers and had a good go at winning something. Absolutely shambolic running of a club that should really be in a much healthier position 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Even more concerning than that is that after 11 years of premier league money how badly run have we been that we were still 10s of millions in debt despite funding all transfers from sales. It’s hardly like we’ve pushed the boat out on transfers and had a good go at winning something. Absolutely shambolic running of a club that should really be in a much healthier position 

It's true, we can blame the big purchases of Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo etc to a point...but those were still funded by the sales of Mane, VVD, Wanyama etc etc. So we've never really pushed the boat out, even our season under Koeman was created with a net profit because we didn't spend all we got in. Brighton have had a go, Bournemouth had a go. Palace had a go last year. These are all clubs within our level in my opinion, if we cannot compete with those guys anymore then I don't know what we've been doing.

You can get lucky with that approach for a limited period of time, but when you run a club so drastically under resourced for prolonged periods of time then it will stand still and eventually fall away. Like you said, it's a terrible way to run a PL club and it shows absolutely no ambition and we might as well not be here.

You've got to speculate to accumulate in this day and age. Sure, we can still get excited over the profits we can make in the future for some players...but let's actually show some ambition for once and spend a little bit more than we get - it will open up a different league of targets.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's only 20 clubs too, sure Leeds and Fulham would push us down a couple of places.

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah but you should know by now we are the only club in the Prem to have bonus fees and agent fees to pay.

No wonder we have no money to spend

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Could you post the wage bill too because transfer fees alone don't tell the whole story. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That's because we pay alot in wages and have a manager on 6m a year. Which where we finish season after season is a bloody disgrace.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Could you post the wage bill too because transfer fees alone don't tell the whole story. 

I've just had a look at this site - EPL 2021-2022 Payroll Wages Tracker | Spotrac

13th last season, but the seasons before that Top 10 and even Top 3 in 2018. It does illustrate what a burden the likes of Hoedt, Boufal, Lemina and co were putting on the club. With Forster leaving this year, possibly Long and maybe next seasons will be even lower.

You'd hope, based on that alone...we have more scope to play with now FFP wise. This could be the first summer we can actually move.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I've just had a look at this site - EPL 2021-2022 Payroll Wages Tracker | Spotrac

13th last season, but the seasons before that Top 10 and even Top 3 in 2018. It does illustrate what a burden the likes of Hoedt, Boufal, Lemina and co were putting on the club. With Forster leaving this year, possibly Long and maybe next seasons will be even lower.

You'd hope, based on that alone...we have more scope to play with now FFP wise. This could be the first summer we can actually move.

I don't think we've ever been near the top 3 salaries in the PL......

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The Les Reed legacy (and i suppose Krueger). I've said before that for me he was worse for the club than Lowe (who did get us the stadium and academy setup). Its a bloody miracle we haven't been relegated - and if we had been we've have gone to admin far quicker than the last time. We've been struggling with dead weight of his transfer/wage legacy ever since he got all sweaty over the VVD and Mane monies. I'll repeat again, its a bloody miracle we've survived with the squad of players and finances his tenure left us. We really should have gone down, gone into admin, and possibly been right back where we started in 2010 (or worse - given players like Hoedt and Carillo would have been on the wage bill).

Edited by Saint86

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That ranking system isn’t right. One season it shows Fulham as top, another it shows Norwich above us in 8th and us above Tottenham two seasons in a row despite them having a wage bill of more than double 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

That ranking system isn’t right. One season it shows Fulham as top, another it shows Norwich above us in 8th and us above Tottenham two seasons in a row despite them having a wage bill of more than double 

You seemingly have to sort by the final Total Salary column - it default-sorts into a nonsensical order when the page loads. We were 10th highest in 2018-19 apparently.

8 hours ago, M271 said:

seems a hell of a lot for a 30 year old keeper, but they do go on a long time these days. Is he that good? I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement. He cant dislodge Pickford from Englands number 1, who has been up and down to say the least. That makes me wonder a little. He looked great at Bury, but that was a few years ago now and strikers don't tend to make you look at mug at that level. We ain't got £40m to spend, so I guess it matters little.

9 hours ago, macca155 said:

Oh absolutely that as well, taken as read, but he didn't have to sign, he could easily have opted for a quick move and equally quick buck.

It feels like his intentions were honourable. A rarity these days.

My point being, that he didn't sign a contract to help Saints. Not a chance. He signed it to make him rich. 

Walcott. Now there's a guy that signed a contract to ensure Saints got paid, and I for one will be forever grateful to him. Absolute top guy. Gutted its not worked out for him football wise since he came back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vectraman said:

Angus Gunn and Paulo Gazzaniga would suggest otherwise….

We really should just spend the cash and bring in an experienced No1 keeper and not another young lad. Suicidal decision making if we go down the ‘for the future root’ when the keeper is a critical position.

I’m fully expecting Alex McCarthy in goal for the first game next season, and preparing to be underwhelmed by our summer business. 
I hope I’m wrong 🤞🤞

This. McCarthy was given a contract to be our number 1 and he will almost certainly be or number 1 come the start of the season. We'll sign a younger keeper. Whether he turns out to be another Gunn is to be seen. Let's hope he turns out to be fantastic.