Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

4 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I haven't seen him play other than YouTube videos but I did notice that it describes his weakness as "doesn't command contested box" which seems to conflict with what you have seen. My only source is this Youtube video: 

Not wishing to condemn a player on youtube 😨 - but the overwhelming majority of these "highlight" saves are the kind that gets a keeper lynched on here if they don't make the save.... I.e straight at him, good vision, slow shots etc. You really need to see the goals he's conceding as well - sadly these don't often make it into highlights reals - but that video wants to present itself as a scouting video, so it fails. What it does show him doing though is parrying the shots away from the danger area, and getting good power behind the parries. Also seems to have reasonable (if slightly risky) distribution.

Tend to agree with you, his dominance of the box didn't come across as a weakness on that video, and some of his sweeper play stood out.

Nothing to suggest he isn't a good improvement on Macca or Forster in that video though :)

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What ever happened to Bertrand? He seems to have vanished, I'm sure they signed him on a 2 year deal as well.

He done his knee around Christmas and was ruled out for the season.

struggled with injuries before that too, Got allot of stick for his early performances  

• Like 1

Just now, Dan Johnson said:

struggled with injuries before that too, Got allot of stick for his early performances  

Ah I didn't realise he'd done his knee, that's a shame. I still have a lot of time for Bertrand, certainly got our lot of him when he was here. Let go at the right time for sure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

he certainly did. He's absolutely despised by Leicester fans from what I have seen on their forums/twitter. 

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Not wishing to condemn a player on youtube 😨 - but the overwhelming majority of these "highlight" saves are the kind that gets a keeper lynched on here if they don't make the save.... I.e straight at him, good vision, slow shots etc. You really need to see the goals he's conceding as well - sadly these don't often make it into highlights reals - but that video wants to present itself as a scouting video, so it fails. What it does show him doing though is parrying the shots away from the danger area, and getting good power behind the parries. Also seems to have reasonable (if slightly risky) distribution.

Tend to agree with you, his dominance of the box didn't come across as a weakness on that video, and some of his sweeper play stood out.

Nothing to suggest he isn't a good improvement on Macca or Forster in that video though :)

couple of reflex saves early on that would get high praise for in a match day situation, but lots of `so what stuff', like you said. Looks agile. He cleans up quite well. Not convinced by the kicking clips. Not sure he looks the part coming for crosses either - but there are not a lot of clips to be fair. Very hard to make a judgement though. I don't get Boruc (invincible type) vibes. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

I can see it now. Charlie Austin, JanV, Ox, Walcott, Berty. The boys are back in town. 

David McGoldrick's a free agent also. After the re-signing of Ollie Lancashire, everybody's welcome.

6 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Bournemouth are releasing Gary Cahill could he do a job for a season or so and instill a bit of leadership? 

No. We perhaps should have been in for him when he was first on a free but there's a reason Bournemouth are releasing him before they're in the Prem. He's nearly 37. 

We need experience yes but not him.

• Like 2

Cole Palmer linked with Ioan move from City. No guarantees u23 form translates but ripped up that level and at 20 either becomes a City regular or gets first team PL football experience in the short term elsewhere. Genuine 10 - bye bye Ely, Redmond and Walcott if the shake up there happens. Wonder if Pep said no Liam Delap?

2 hours ago, steve green said:

That's seeded my dream sequence for tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

I believe that 'nightmare' is the correct technical term..

Anyway, try and include the coaches going, that may soften it a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Eddie Nketiah about to resign for Arsenal - on a rumoured £100k a week! Four goals last season...

We shouldn't even bother looking at English players, the market for them has absolutely lost the plot.

Signing new contract according to Sky

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11095/12476234/transfer-centre-live-how-will-new-chelsea-act-in-market-as-todd-boehlys-4-25bn-takeover-nears-completion?postid=3944064#liveblog-body

Edited by waylander
added explanation

Dream scenario would be for us to make a marquee signing of sorts in the CB and CM positions, spine down the team etc.

English youngsters only have to make a few step overs and they’re valued at £30m, equally they only have to have one dodgy season and no one will touch them with a barge pole.

Can anyone name any players that big clubs were supposedly desperate to sign/heavily linked with one season and the next no one wanted them/they made a move to a much poorer team? For me Saido Berahino - didn’t think much of him at WBA and the way his career turned out was even funnier. Linked with Spurs for £20m odd and ended up at Stoke.

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Dream scenario would be for us to make a marquee signing of sorts in the CB and CM positions, spine down the team etc.

I do not think coming to Southampton at the moment is a dream scenario for many marquee signing unfortunately

In fact I am not sure I can remember the last marquee signing we made although some signings turned out to be marquee signings for other clubs

Cole Palmer is easily on a par with Livramento talent wise. He would be a good signing as a loan but I would say zero liklihood of a permanent move as very highly rated at City.

Personally more keen on Bazunu than Dragowski - sounds like he has a higher ceiling.

Also, "marquee signing" is a phrase that neess putting in the bin. Meaningless drivel.

Edited by Dusic

image.thumb.png.f0dfd2091a0b7888b1018a04257e901d.pngMore speculative than anything, but some talented names mentioned. Nothing particularly new. 

Mcatee & Palmer are legit top-drawer talents in the youth game.

Garner’s had a very good season too, but we rarely seem to address the centre-mid position.

With the 5 sub rule maybe some of these youngsters will see it as an opportunity to get involved by being in the squad.

They have a much better chance than the likes of Manchester City who will probably have 600million of quality talent warming the bench.

I have a sneaky feeling we have signed the winger whizz kid that came out in the press around February time. It’s gone all quiet on him which suggests his agent is no longer trying to promote him. Anyone remember who it was?

ADDED - Tete Mateus who’s on loan to Lyon because of the war. Wants to play in the premiership.

Edited by Pilchards

7 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

With the 5 sub rule maybe some of these youngsters will see it as an opportunity to get involved by being in the squad.

They have a much better chance than the likes of Manchester City who will probably have 600million of quality talent warming the bench.

I have a sneaky feeling we have signed the winger whizz kid that came out in the press around February time. It’s gone all quiet on him which suggests his agent is no longer trying to promote him. Anyone remember who it was?

Tete? 
Supposedly wants big wages.

8 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Do you mean Tete?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.png.f0dfd2091a0b7888b1018a04257e901d.pngMore speculative than anything, but some talented names mentioned. Nothing particularly new. 

Garner’s had a very good season too, but we rarely seem to address the centre-mid position.

Is that the James Garner they are talking about been really good at Forest this season on loan from Man United?

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

My mate is a City fan/ST holder and reckons Delap is the real deal and would be very surprised on a sale but could see a loan. Him and Palmer he thinks are the best 2 they have. 

1 minute ago, MarkSFC said:

My mate is a City fan/ST holder and reckons Delap is the real deal and would be very surprised on a sale but could see a loan. Him and Palmer he thinks are the best 2 they have. 

Yeah, doubt they would sell any of them (aside from the keeper).  So we could only loan 1 of Palmer / Delap / McAtee.

• Like 1

Can’t say it’s thrilling hearing we’re constantly being linked with teenagers which have done little aside from keep the benches warm at the parent clubs with little to no appearances.

We need experience, not tons of “prospects”. Angus Gunn was a prospect, look how that turned out.

• Like 1

Agree with the above the youngsters are an added bonus.

First priority should be experience and leaders especially with the spine of the team. 

Needs some lads to come in hit the ground running prefably with experience of this league. 

Any players apart from Tarkowski and Mee that fill this category? 

I'd also look at Jack Cork Was sad when we got rid. Always thought he was a tidy no nonsense keep it simple old school player.

• Like 2

I have no problem with bringing in a really talented loanee to develop and then send back. As much as we all might have wanted Broja to stay (well, in the first half of the season anyway), I think it worked out well for both sides, and if it helps younger players see us as a stepping stone over a few seasons to a bigger club then I can enjoy it whilst we have them!

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Can’t say it’s thrilling hearing we’re constantly being linked with teenagers which have done little aside from keep the benches warm at the parent clubs with little to no appearances.

We need experience, not tons of “prospects”. Angus Gunn was a prospect, look how that turned out.

Livramento and Broja were/are prospects and both were in our five best players of last season. Walcott is very experienced and added little.

We need quality above anything else.

These lads are among the top talents of their age in the country and are exactly the types we should be targeting, alongside a couple of more experienced players.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Livramento and Broja were/are prospects and both were in our five best players of last season. Walcott is very experienced and added little.

These lads are among the top talents of their age in the country and are exactly the types we should be targeting, alongside a couple of more experienced players.

there is a balance though. Walcott did okay in his loan season, but his game is based around pace, so foolish to sign an aging player when their main attribute declines rapidly once they get into their 30's. If we were to sign a 30 year old centre half that's a very different story. Gary Cahill is another one who would have been a good signing three years ago for not a big fee (maybe even free i think) and been ideal to play alongside a younger centre half for a couple of years, but we were smarter than that.

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Quality is what matters. If they are good enough, they are old enough, If they are shit hot, who cares if they have 300 or 3 games of experience? However, I guess the concern with signing untried and tested young players like Livramento or Delap, is will they shine in the senior game, straight away? Livramento did, but others just don't make that step up, especially in the Prem. 

Maybe there are experienced Prem players that we could sign, but not sure there are too many that are actually good, available on a free and want to come here. Realistically, why would Tarwkowski come to us when he has a better offer? Or should we make our offer better than the rest and spend maybe £120k a week on him? I don't think that is gonna happen, but maybe every once in a while we ought to go big like that - assuming the funds are there. Not sure they are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Quality is what matters. If they are good enough, they are old enough, If they are shit hot, who cares if they have 300 or 3 games of experience? However, I guess the concern with signing untried and tested young players like Livramento or Delap, is will they shine in the senior game, straight away? Livramento did, but others just don't make that step up, especially in the Prem. 

Maybe there are experienced Prem players that we could sign, but not sure there are too many that are actually good, available on a free and want to come here. Realistically, why would Tarwkowski come to us when he has a better offer? Or should we make our offer better than the rest and spend maybe £120k a week on him? I don't think that is gonna happen, but maybe every once in a while we ought to go big like that - assuming the funds are there. Not sure they are.

£120k a week with no transfer fee is the same as £48k a week with a £15m transfer fee. The latter being about wht we spend on players under Goa. Tarkowski would fix our issues at centre back. Proper defender, proven premier league experience. 

• Like 2