Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

We did well getting shot of Ings when we did (perhaps I didn't think so at the time). He had one good season for us and that was his peak. He has been disappointing to say the least at Villa, no way should we consider having him back. 

I recall a whole summer of arguing with people about whether we should keep him one more year and then allow him to walk for free or sell and ensure we had funds to buy other players. I argued that it would have been business suicide to keep him - and there was not a chance it would happen, which it didn't. I agree, we made the right choice.

In a similar vain I am wondering about Salisu, who was half way out the door in January. Is now the best time to sell financially? JWP is another, although the long contract means its a different scenario. But is there a better time to sell? Maybe he will be here his whole career though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:
Transfer League for the last 5 Seasons
# Net Spend last 5 Years Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season
1 Manchester City £818.5 M £312.9 M £505.6 M £101.1 M
2 Manchester United £611.1 M £232.2 M £378.9 M £75.8 M
4 Chelsea £656.9 M £523.6 M £133.2 M £26.6 M
3 Everton £536.5 M £261.5 M £275.0 M £55.0 M
5 Arsenal £443.1 M £194.2 M £249.0 M £49.8 M
6 Brighton & Hove Albion £212.0 M £14.6 M £197.4 M £39.5 M
7 Liverpool £470.9 M £378.5 M £92.4 M £18.5 M
8 AFC Bournemouth £204.1 M £70.7 M £133.4 M £26.7 M
9 West Ham £308.1 M £152.4 M £155.7 M £31.1 M
14 Wolverhampton Wanderers £269.4 M £84.7 M £184.8 M £37.0 M
10 Leicester £381.4 M £268.8 M £112.6 M £22.5 M
11 Crystal Palace £161.5 M £105.3 M £56.2 M £11.2 M
15 Watford £204.0 M £108.8 M £95.2 M £19.0 M
12 Newcastle United £273.6 M £166.2 M £107.5 M £21.5 M
15 Aston Villa £276.2 M £78.1 M £198.1 M £39.6 M
16 Burnley £126.6 M £74.1 M £52.5 M £10.5 M
17 Tottenham £322.3 M £227.7 M £94.6 M £18.9 M
18 Sheffield United £55.0 M £14.7 M £40.3 M £08.1 M
19 Southampton £240.4 M £243.2 M -£02.8 M -£00.6 M
20 Norwich City £65.2 M £112.0 M -£46.8 M -£09.4 M

That's quite ridiculous really and it's quite incredible we're still in the Premier League when you look at it like that. We've got no right to be.

That HAS to change this summer, otherwise it's daft to expect anything other than a relegation battle and potential relegation. Christ, Bournemouth haven't been in the league for 2 years and they're still miles away. Brighton up in 6th, Palace in 11th, even Watford and Burnley have higher spends than us and they've been relegated. We've got to be able to compete with those teams and stop searching around for what we can sell to fund anything we bring in. Otherwise we are simply not rich enough to remain in this league and we should drop out for our benefit.

This is why Ralph can't shoulder all the blame, we're actually overachieving. We've been Top of the PL and finished on 52 points in that time as well.

There are obviously examples where money doesn't buy success (Everton and Bournemouth sticking out) but the other extreme of not spending a penny is simply not sustainable.

Need to include wages for five years too to provide a fairer picture of spend, although I dare say it wouldn't put us much higher on this table. We have no right to expect to be fighting for europe. Doesnt mean we cant of course.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Even more concerning than that is that after 11 years of premier league money how badly run have we been that we were still 10s of millions in debt despite funding all transfers from sales. It’s hardly like we’ve pushed the boat out on transfers and had a good go at winning something. Absolutely shambolic running of a club that should really be in a much healthier position 

We break even on transfers, the wage bill is less than the tv/prem money, but total outgoings have created £100m in debt, give or take. Who'd own a football club?

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I've just had a look at this site - EPL 2021-2022 Payroll Wages Tracker | Spotrac

13th last season, but the seasons before that Top 10 and even Top 3 in 2018. It does illustrate what a burden the likes of Hoedt, Boufal, Lemina and co were putting on the club. With Forster leaving this year, possibly Long and maybe next seasons will be even lower.

You'd hope, based on that alone...we have more scope to play with now FFP wise. This could be the first summer we can actually move.

Just a note of warning, Sportrac have no idea abotu player contracts. Not a chance in a million years did JWP sign a five year contract for £45k a week. £145k a week will be closer to the mark.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

If true, might mean Rice is leaving Wet Spam and they want to get the replacement in early and would be able to afford him.

Wait and see how much they get for Rice and then match the price for them to have JWP.

1 minute ago, Saint Keef said:

If true, might mean Rice is leaving Wet Spam and they want to get the replacement in early and would be able to afford him.

Wait and see how much they get for Rice and then match the price for them to have JWP.

Rice for say £100m, JWP offer will be £50m. Not sure that's enough for us to sell. I think we'll want £65m. Not sure we'll get an offer that big though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If this is the standard of player we are going for, won’t be surprised if we finish bottom.

Well the last time he played 35 games in a season was 18/19 season where he conceded 62 goals so he's improving. Just think of the improvements our three goalkeeping coaches could make to him

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good old Saintsweb. Let's write a player off . Not after he has played a few times for us . Not after he has made his debut . Not after he has signed but after some dodgy bloke who 99% of us haven't heard of links us with him on Twitter.

Ah well. I am sure he is crap. 

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Good old Saintsweb. Let's write a player off . Not after he has played a few times for us . Not after he has made his debut . Not after he has signed but after some dodgy bloke who 99% of us haven't heard of links us with him on Twitter.

This signing is a real statement of intent! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Do you think he will immeasurably improve? 

like Carrillo et al, not hard to work out they are not good enough to do anything. 

• Like 1

Not jumping up and down in anger or in joy from that keeper link as i know nothing about him. Feels like the right sort of age range to be targetting imo rather than going after a kid, when keepers tend hit peak much later. Could be a sign of our new owners following the brentford model of picking up unheralded gems for little.

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Good player from what I've seen but I'm getting really worried we're just going to sign a bunch of kids. That's all well and good but it's surely blatantly obvious that we need some leadership and experienced older heads out on the pitch too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If this is the standard of player we are going for, won’t be surprised if we finish bottom.

The guy has 850 followers.. and also if he is a free agent, why would he be joining on loan for a year? Or is that saying we will loan him out for the season?

Smells fishy to me.

Edited by ErwinK1961

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

On fiorentina Facebook story 🤔

3EBD981F-357A-4031-8E5A-A5E47AF96419.jpeg

The relevant bit is that the deal could close in a short time, with Saints offering 6 million. I rate Dragowski, hope it happens but I'm not convinced it will. He's exactly what we need in a commanding keeper who communicates and controls is area really well - a good addition that might kick some of our defensive duos up the arse 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

The relevant bit is that the deal could close in a short time, with Saints offering 6 million. I rate Dragowski, hope it happens but I'm not convinced it will. He's exactly what we need in a commanding keeper who communicates and controls is area really well - a good addition that might kick some of our defensive duos up the arse 

I dont know anything about him but we've been linked with him for a couple of years so one we uncovered before our rolled up shirt sleeved dane and Ted Talks arrived.

• Haha 1

Good player Dragowski, the sort we need to bring in that would expect to oust McCarthy from day one.

I can see the freebie being a replacement for Harry Lewis and maybe an alternative if we don't sign up Willy.

Cole Palmer is a very, very talented player. He'd improve us straight away, but it would still be good to sign our own attacking player as well rather than have the panic about him going back at the end of the season with us getting no $$$.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I haven't seen him play other than YouTube videos but I did notice that it describes his weakness as "doesn't command contested box" which seems to conflict with what you have seen. My only source is this Youtube video: 

43 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

"At least one". Even if you consider Armstrong as a number one choice (and hope he has a better season next season) I'd hope that Palmer would be a squad 10. We really need a first choice, fairly experienced AM to change games. I've heard good things about Palmer but we really need experience to go with whatever youth we want to buy/loan.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Do you think he will immeasurably improve? 

like Carrillo et al, not hard to work out they are not good enough to do anything. 

How about waiting to see if we get him before getting worked up. 

It's going to be a long,long summer if we jump on every Twitter rumour. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This bloke seems a city fan but he has also posted this - made me laugh that there are no talks with any clubs

One of those “I hope this one is true” tweets.

A new experience at a different club? What like learning to defend properly?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This bloke seems a city fan but he has also posted this - made me laugh that there are no talks with any clubs

Oh no, what a shame. 

I really hope we can cling on to him. Would be a massive loss and would improve many clubs in Europe.

£20m is an absolute steal…..

(Just in case a interested party is reading, I’m absolutely not being sarcastic. He’s brilliant and not total shite, I promise..) 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Wonder how he is valued outside of our `four walls'.

If we could get that kind of money it would be very handy in reshaping the back four.

The problem sides like us have is selling middling or `poor' performing players to sides below us in the pyramid. The gap between Championship and Prem is so large when it comes to wages. It leaves players like that with no where to go - or at least no way for us to offload without paying a huge chunk of wages. 

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

SuperSAINT wants to hook-up with Holly Willoughby.

Although, no talks have taken place.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Chez said:

I recall a whole summer of arguing with people about whether we should keep him one more year and then allow him to walk for free or sell and ensure we had funds to buy other players. I argued that it would have been business suicide to keep him - and there was not a chance it would happen, which it didn't. I agree, we made the right choice.

In a similar vain I am wondering about Salisu, who was half way out the door in January. Is now the best time to sell financially? JWP is another, although the long contract means its a different scenario. But is there a better time to sell? Maybe he will be here his whole career though. 

If a decent offer comes in for Salisu, we shouldn't even blink. Bite their arm off. His contract is going to run down and his value diminish - he's not so good that he isn't irreplaceable.

16 hours ago, S-Clarke said:
Transfer League for the last 5 Seasons
# Net Spend last 5 Years Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season
1 Manchester City £818.5 M £312.9 M £505.6 M £101.1 M
2 Manchester United £611.1 M £232.2 M £378.9 M £75.8 M
4 Chelsea £656.9 M £523.6 M £133.2 M £26.6 M
3 Everton £536.5 M £261.5 M £275.0 M £55.0 M
5 Arsenal £443.1 M £194.2 M £249.0 M £49.8 M
6 Brighton & Hove Albion £212.0 M £14.6 M £197.4 M £39.5 M
7 Liverpool £470.9 M £378.5 M £92.4 M £18.5 M
8 AFC Bournemouth £204.1 M £70.7 M £133.4 M £26.7 M
9 West Ham £308.1 M £152.4 M £155.7 M £31.1 M
14 Wolverhampton Wanderers £269.4 M £84.7 M £184.8 M £37.0 M
10 Leicester £381.4 M £268.8 M £112.6 M £22.5 M
11 Crystal Palace £161.5 M £105.3 M £56.2 M £11.2 M
15 Watford £204.0 M £108.8 M £95.2 M £19.0 M
12 Newcastle United £273.6 M £166.2 M £107.5 M £21.5 M
15 Aston Villa £276.2 M £78.1 M £198.1 M £39.6 M
16 Burnley £126.6 M £74.1 M £52.5 M £10.5 M
17 Tottenham £322.3 M £227.7 M £94.6 M £18.9 M
18 Sheffield United £55.0 M £14.7 M £40.3 M £08.1 M
19 Southampton £240.4 M £243.2 M -£02.8 M -£00.6 M
20 Norwich City £65.2 M £112.0 M -£46.8 M -£09.4 M

That's quite ridiculous really and it's quite incredible we're still in the Premier League when you look at it like that. We've got no right to be.

That HAS to change this summer, otherwise it's daft to expect anything other than a relegation battle and potential relegation. Christ, Bournemouth haven't been in the league for 2 years and they're still miles away. Brighton up in 6th, Palace in 11th, even Watford and Burnley have higher spends than us and they've been relegated. We've got to be able to compete with those teams and stop searching around for what we can sell to fund anything we bring in. Otherwise we are simply not rich enough to remain in this league and we should drop out for our benefit.

This is why Ralph can't shoulder all the blame, we're actually overachieving. We've been Top of the PL and finished on 52 points in that time as well.

There are obviously examples where money doesn't buy success (Everton and Bournemouth sticking out) but the other extreme of not spending a penny is simply not sustainable.

I can't see how the order of that table has been compiled.  None of the value columns seem to be ranked in numerical order.

Essentially it tells us what we know already.  that transfer fees have to fund new purchases whicle commercial revenues fund wages and other outgoings.  Either we find a benevolent owner prepared to pump cash in with next to no hope of getting it back, or our commercial revenue needs to increase dramatically if the status quo is ever going to change.

• Like 1