Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I'd take take Lawrence for free. Give him a two year contract and if he ends up being crap, he's proven to be a good Championship player so sell him for a token fee to Wigan or Bristol City. Seems a pretty low risk move to me.

But then that's assuming he is free and he would accept a two year contract I know.

57 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hope so.

Les used to favour more money up front, as a rule. 

I seem to remember it was something like £30million with a few more as add ons. The add ons were low because they gave us a big wedge up front rather than the normal staggered payments over a few seasons. 

I really hope we can get someone in midfield who can move the ball forward quickly for the attackers/wide men to directly attack the goal (eriksen/playmaker type).

I feel we are too stodgy and predictable for a while, we mess around in midfield and then pass out to wingers  to try and make something happen as the other teams reset in defence.

I think with JWP in midfield " he's the playmaker" we sort of have our own Ronaldo issue.

He scores mainly deadball goals, provides assists but in open play he is not the man to do the quick pass forward, creative through ball etc (in my opinion, neither is Romeu), therefore is the JWP, Romeu, Diallo too conservative for our side in an attacking sense.

I don't know the answers but they've been our mainstays in midfield for a while now and Danny Ings aside all our forwards have struggled.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

I seem to remember it was something like £30million with a few more as add ons. The add ons were low because they gave us a big wedge up front rather than the normal staggered payments over a few seasons. 

Up to £34m i think, didn't we get a bit of it when they wont the champions league a couple of years ago? And despite what the morons on here said it was a good deal at the time. One of the biggest of that transfer window and Liverpools second most expensive signing ever. It was the following season wehn transfer fees boomed again and loads of people whinging usless Les sold him too cheaply.

I don’t think they’ll be many major surprises in this window. I imagine all the big players (JWP) will stay, it’ll be your fringe players/players with a year left (Djenepo/Walcott) that will leave.

In terms of incomings I think it’ll be similar to last year except maybe a slightly higher turnover of ins and outs.

Can’t see us going mad for any notable players in one of Europe’s top five leagues as a statement of intent.

Did Saints ever publish a released/retained list or are they going to wait until June 30th to do so.

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd take take Lawrence for free. Give him a two year contract and if he ends up being crap, he's proven to be a good Championship player so sell him for a token fee to Wigan or Bristol City. Seems a pretty low risk move to me.

But then that's assuming he is free and he would accept a two year contract I know.

what position does he play?

Free ain't free of course. If we are paying him ages, it means we ain't paying someone else....like the guy that we need to do set up and score goals. The money will always be spent. The risk is spending it on a waste of space.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Pretty sure Nixon linked us with him a few months ago too. Had a very good season on loan.

Wonder if he’s jumped ahead of Anjorin on our shopping list.

Massive difference in quality between those two!

Wolves seem to be revamping their midfield this summer, Neves likely to leave for CL football and Moutinho is old and they are looking to replace with younger option. I imagine they would give MGW a chance

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Southampton defender Mohammed Salisu is happy at the club and is open to discussing a new contract #saintsfc @BenjyNurick

good news. Like him. Hooray. 

Get him a new contract and bring in someone experienced like Phil Jones to play alongside him.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, DT said:

Southampton defender Mohammed Salisu is happy at the club and is open to discussing a new contract #saintsfc @BenjyNurick

good news. Like him. Hooray. 

Yep. Went off the boil a bit towards the end (who didn't) but I think he's a great prospect who I was worried about losing due to remaining contract length.

Look forward to seeing him alongside a better partner (hopefully) next year.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 08:59, Convict Colony said:

I really hope we can get someone in midfield who can move the ball forward quickly for the attackers/wide men to directly attack the goal (eriksen/playmaker type).

I feel we are too stodgy and predictable for a while, we mess around in midfield and then pass out to wingers  to try and make something happen as the other teams reset in defence.

I think with JWP in midfield " he's the playmaker" we sort of have our own Ronaldo issue.

He scores mainly deadball goals, provides assists but in open play he is not the man to do the quick pass forward, creative through ball etc (in my opinion, neither is Romeu), therefore is the JWP, Romeu, Diallo too conservative for our side in an attacking sense.

I don't know the answers but they've been our mainstays in midfield for a while now and Danny Ings aside all our forwards have struggled.

The problem is neither of JWP or his ‘partner’ are necessarily there to provide assists, any goal inclusions they make is a bonus, we effectively set up to move into a sort of 3142 in attack with our primary attacking outlet being a pressing trap

Of course Id expect more assists from both our ‘No.10’s’ or FBs but ultimately I quite happy with the double pivot

Romeu was excellent early to mid season, but fell off later on which I think caused a fair amount f our issues both defensively and attacking because we didn’t have a significant base to build on

Is OR good enough still ? Probably, but is he fit enough ? Im not sure

33 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I wonder hiw things will work with Chelsea in theur current predicament ? Surely the sanctions mean that they are unable to recieve any fees ? And probably unlikely to want to do significant business before they are able to appoint a new owner

Thought it was due to be resolved tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yep. Went off the boil a bit towards the end (who didn't) but I think he's a great prospect who I was worried about losing due to remaining contract length.

Look forward to seeing him alongside a better partner (hopefully) next year.

I’ve mentioned this before but how much of this was due to Ramadan?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Remember him saying a club dicked him around last summer. Everything was agreed before the buying club just pulled out of the deal. Hope that wasn't us

I think it was Palace they went for Someone else. We were linked with him. Still we got Lyanco and saved £8m. Looks a very good defender. Garner also  looks a good player and decent from dead balls

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, St Columb Saint said:

It was Burnley, all lined up and then Burnley changed their minds at the last minute, I spoke to his dad about it.

Collins looked good to be fair, if that was the option they went for instead.

I know we were definitely interested in the Summer, but decided to buy Lyanco for half the price. Typical.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, St Columb Saint said:

It was Burnley, all lined up and then Burnley changed their minds at the last minute, I spoke to his dad about it.

Fair enough. Why did they pull out? Looks a cracking player and decent lad

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

That O'brien lad at Hudds looks good 👍 

Linked with Leeds in a couple of articles.

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Worrall looking solid, again.

Think we may have missed out on that one, and the ship has now sailed. Even ahd Forest lost today I expect the asking price might have been c£20m as opposed to the rumoured £10-12m last summer.