Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Garner will be much more difficult to sign now as Forest will clearly want him back.

Agree O'Brien looked good. Leeds have nearly signed him a couple of times and are supposed to be back in for him.

Colwill recovered well from the unfortunate OG. Kept the (over?) hyped Johnson to a non entity in the game.

Worrall a typical Championship defender who got done every time in a wide position.

On 28/05/2022 at 08:59, Convict Colony said:

I really hope we can get someone in midfield who can move the ball forward quickly for the attackers/wide men to directly attack the goal (eriksen/playmaker type).

I feel we are too stodgy and predictable for a while, we mess around in midfield and then pass out to wingers  to try and make something happen as the other teams reset in defence.

I think with JWP in midfield " he's the playmaker" we sort of have our own Ronaldo issue.

He scores mainly deadball goals, provides assists but in open play he is not the man to do the quick pass forward, creative through ball etc (in my opinion, neither is Romeu), therefore is the JWP, Romeu, Diallo too conservative for our side in an attacking sense.

I don't know the answers but they've been our mainstays in midfield for a while now and Danny Ings aside all our forwards have struggled.

We need a 3 man midfield, with romeu sitting, JWP box to box, and someone like eriksen being given the freedom to play (due to the other 2) and create. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Worrell isn't streets ahead of what we have, in my opinion. He's like Liam Cooper who came up with Leeds, top in the Champ but will likley be average in the top league.

I do like Garner though, I think he's such a tidy midfielder.

The links we have are very predictable though. Colwill, Gibbs-White, Garner - all would have been in the England youth teams when Crocker was in charge. Talented young players, but I'd like to see some links to experienced players too!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I just read it as Ralph letting other clubs know of Long's qualities before he leaves.

He might be a great guy, but we need some goals. Freeing up those wages increases the pennies we have to bring that in (hopefully).

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Would anyone consider Danny Drinkwater on a free transfer to add a bit of experience to the squad as well as competition in midfield?

Not a chance. Not impressed on progressively lower-level loans, and I have it in good knowledge that he's a huge cunt.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Experience of fighting relegation and winning the league. 

That kind of dismissive mentality would have seen us never buy Marsden...

They are not comparable.

- Chris Marsden was a late developer and joined us on the rise aged 30.

- Danny Drinkwater is 32 and has been on the decline for 5 years! He has just spent a season in a Championship relegation campaign. He is not remotely close to the level he was when at Leicester. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

We don’t need experience, we need good. This isn’t some ‘92 class of talented kids or first timers just promoted from the Championship. We have several players in their thirties who’ve been playing at this level for a decade. They have nothing to learn from Drinkwater or any other ‘experienced’ player.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If anyone thinks Danny DrinkDriver is the answer, I’d hate to know what the question is.

Who is one player you are absolutely adamant your club should not sign this summer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Get Uncle Les on the phone, I’m sure he’s got them on speed dial.

I spoke to Les earlier. He’s comfortable with the situation and looking forward to the nap after the buffet after todays play off final. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We don’t need experience, we need good. This isn’t some ‘92 class of talented kids or first timers just promoted from the Championship. We have several players in their thirties who’ve been playing at this level for a decade. They have nothing to learn from Drinkwater or any other ‘experienced’ player.

I don’t think we need experience, but I do think we need one or two around the place that are natural leaders, I just don’t see any at all in our squad

But as per Drinkwater, he absolutely isn’t anywhere close to having any conceivable quality we need

Edited by Smirking_Saint

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he is 'average" how can he also be 'awful'?  

GIF by The Simpsons

🤔

Im happy to stick with awful if you like ? With the odd visit to average on days he plays above his ability ?

My issue with Stephens overall is he is very much a reactive defender, he shows little to no defensive awareness really.

He is reasonably good in the tackle, but lacks the ability to mark effectively or see any danger before it arrives, so yes, sometimes he gets away with it (average) but generally he does not (awful)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im happy to stick with awful if you like ? With the odd visit to average on days he plays above his ability ?

Pretty much a spot on assessment IMO.

Stephens has occasions when he looks actually quite a reasonable player. Never amazing, but if he’s on top of his game you think ‘ok, there’s a player there’. But then just far, far too often he reverts to type, there’s too many mistakes in him, and at this level he just simply isn’t good enough. The fact that fans on here says he’s just about alright for a fourth choice centre back says a lot.

He seems a good lad, I’m sure he trains hard, but he’s just a bit too awful too often.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

My issue with Stephens overall is he is very much a reactive defender, he shows little to no defensive awareness really.

He is reasonably good in the tackle, but lacks the ability to mark effectively or see any danger before it arrives, so yes, sometimes he gets away with it (average) but generally he does not (awful)

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Pretty much a spot on assessment IMO.

Stephens has occasions when he looks actually quite a reasonable player. Never amazing, but if he’s on top of his game you think ‘ok, there’s a player there’. But then just far, far too often he reverts to type, there’s too many mistakes in him, and at this level he just simply isn’t good enough. The fact that fans on here says he’s just about alright for a fourth choice centre back says a lot.

He seems a good lad, I’m sure he trains hard, but he’s just a bit too awful too often.

Saints probably should be looking to offload him and upgrade him. He is an upper Championship quality player really.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yep his best games I can remember have been when we’ve been under a lot of pressure. When we beat Liverpool and Man City 1-0 at home he was very good, because a lot of what he had to do was reactive. It’s in games when he has to be proactive, mark properly, sniff out danger he struggles and time and time again he comes into the team has a couple of good games and then quickly reverts to type of making poor errors and lapses in concentration. It’s a shame because he seems like a decent enough lad just not quite up to it. At his age now he isn’t going to get any better either.

• Like 1

Lots of people are saying we need "experience" but if you look at our best and most commonly selected team from last season you could make a good argument against that being an issue:

Our best XI by age:

19, 23, 26, 25

30, 27, 30, 27

20, 25

Only Livramento is very inexperienced and he was one of our best players. Many are in the prime of their careers.

The only area you could really point to is at CB. But Bednarek has over 100 PL games for Saints, 39 caps for Poland and has played in two Intl tournaments. Salisu has 70 games at La Liga or PL level under his belt. They aren't novices!

Quality, and specifically depth of it is what we need. Not experience.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, John B said:

I doubt he would agree with you as he has played over a 100 PL games

Cost £150k so good business I would have thought

When you put it like that then yes, it is good business, but ultimately him playing over 100 games for us, majority (if not all I can’t remember) in the prem shows where our level is and why we have never kicked on

He seems a nice guy, is committed, shows plenty of passion… but he is very limited and if we rely on him for too long then we leak goals

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

When you put it like that then yes, it is good business, but ultimately him playing over 100 games for us, majority (if not all I can’t remember) in the prem shows where our level is and why we have never kicked on

He seems a nice guy, is committed, shows plenty of passion… but he is very limited and if we rely on him for too long then we leak goals

We are Southampton F C of course I would like to see better players but our finances do not allow us that luxury

I do not like fans continually complaining about players especially Stephens who does his best but he is not one of the best CBs in the PL I am a suporter so I support our players until better ones come along 

We have only hardly spent mega millions since we have been in the PL and without financial clout the strategy the club is adopting is the probably the only one to stay in the PL

Football is all about money the more a club has the more likely it will have success but essentially it is a game and our players although not the best are pretty decent otherwise they would not be playing in the PL sometimes when everything clicks and the opposition is below par we do have some decent results.

In the sixty odd years I have followed the Saints the only consistent thing about them has been their inconsistency because they do not have many outstanding players who consistently perform to high standards

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They aren't really 'new' reports linking him, they are suggestions on who Leeds should buy based on Adams previously being linked quite a while ago.

He didn’t say they were “new reports”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Appy said:

He didn’t say they were “new reports”

I didn't say he did. But there was a Leeds report where the author was suggesting Leeds should go for Adams having previously been linked with him over a year ago. That doesn't constitute a transfer rumour. Other articles have now sprung up based on that article and fans are now thinking it is a rumour rather than the random musing that it actually is!

Edited by Matthew Le God

37 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Maybe this is more of a case of an option had they stayed down? That I could somewhat believe. 

But If they can't keep Garner they'll have to aim higher than Smallbone to stand a cat in hells chance of survival.

• Like 1

Yeah, Smallbone and Garner are completely different midfielders. Smallbone's more attacking, not very physical and plays a more technical game, while Garner is like a mosquito, makes great recovery tackles, excellent energy and wins the ball back well.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Good old Forest. First they give us a million quid for McGoldrick, effectively funding Sir Ricky's transfer, then they take Fox off our hands and now Smallbone.  I will believe it when I see it though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John B said:

We are Southampton F C of course I would like to see better players but our finances do not allow us that luxury

I do not like fans continually complaining about players especially Stephens who does his best but he is not one of the best CBs in the PL I am a suporter so I support our players until better ones come along 

We have only hardly spent mega millions since we have been in the PL and without financial clout the strategy the club is adopting is the probably the only one to stay in the PL

Football is all about money the more a club has the more likely it will have success but essentially it is a game and our players although not the best are pretty decent otherwise they would not be playing in the PL sometimes when everything clicks and the opposition is below par we do have some decent results.

In the sixty odd years I have followed the Saints the only consistent thing about them has been their inconsistency because they do not have many outstanding players who consistently perform to high standards

Im not ‘continually complaining’ not at all, if anything I tend to be one of the more optimistic of fans, but this is a forum within which we discuss the club’s limitations and areas of concern

On our day we are a capable outfit, we have shown that with significant purple patches throughout the last 2-3 years, unfortunately though this is interwoven with periods of dross, now, this of course is down to a multitude of factors, tactics, player ability and mentality

Ill support Stephens every time he wears the shirt, Im not the sort to ever boo, but Im not going to just pretend he isn’t the limited player that he is because I bleed red and white, I want the best for this club, and continuing on with starters of his ability is costing us whether we like it or not

Do we have significant budgets ? No

In some ways I would, in others I wouldn’t want the care free spending that City etc have, its of course exciting but I do think it leads to a breakdown in identity… however because of our low budget we need to make good decisions in the transfer market, and we simply have wasted what we have, in the main

Im not sitting here bashing the club, or the players, or even Ralph, we’ve punched above our weight at times but we’ve also significantly under achieved too, and in order to reduce that inconsistency is to bring in better than what we have, thats football unfortunately and Im not going to apologise for discussing that

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good old Forest. First they give us a million quid for McGoldrick, effectively funding Sir Ricky's transfer, then they take Fox off our hands and now Smallbone.  I will believe it when I see it though.

So what to we reckon ? Shill them Smallbone and then hope that enables us the opportunity to jump ahead of them for Garner ?

13 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You’d be hard pressed to be worse tbf

Stephens is about as average a prem CB you can get… awful

If he is average, then there must be equally as many worse than him as there are better (hope I am not sounding like MLG but when you spout bollocks you deserve to be pulled up for it).

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 20:15, dronskisaint said:

West Ham and Villa only have a slightly better chance of finishing higher than us.....anything less than a bank/country/corporation owned club in the top four is not really kicking on...not that I want him to go. I hope he stays happy here and we build our next team around him.

51 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

If he is average, then there must be equally as many worse than him as there are better (hope I am not sounding like MLG but when you spout bollocks you deserve to be pulled up for it).

And the average must therefore include anyone who is currently playing centre back at any level on the entire planet. If that is the case I’d suggest he is slightly below average.

Edited by wild-saint