Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

£120k a week with no transfer fee is the same as £48k a week with a £15m transfer fee. The latter being about wht we spend on players under Goa. Tarkowski would fix our issues at centre back. Proper defender, proven premier league experience. 

Trouble is,when you break the existing wage structure,other players will then start to demand parity with their next or new contract. It's a very difficult balance. A player on that kind of salary instantly becomes out best paid player.

• Like 3

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Trouble is,when you break the existing wage structure,other players will then start to demand parity with their next or new contract. It's a very difficult balance. A player on that kind of salary instantly becomes out best paid player.

Yeah but we are also meant to be shifting Forster, Long, Walcott, potentially Stephens and Bednarek and possibly Elyanossi and Djenepo off the wage bill. That's getting on for £400k a week right there. Get your point but you want quality you've got to pay for it. We've spent five years or so paying relatively big money for crap players. If Bednarek doesn't like it that he's not earning as much as a significantly better player then let him find a better deal elsewhere. A core of quality players we want to keep with a few young one of high potnetial blended with squad players is far better than paying a load of crap players £60k a week when they're not even making the squad. 

• Like 4

Would quite like to see us go in for Openda of Brugge (been on loan at Vitesse and scored 18goals this year). Young striker, could be the future of Belgium's national team given his scoring record at lower levels. Supposedly available for 5-6million. Absolute coasted the Eredivisie for a 2nd tier team, and has a far better record their than Broja and bags of potential. I'd love to see us go for someone like him at any rate.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

£120k a week with no transfer fee is the same as £48k a week with a £15m transfer fee. The latter being about wht we spend on players under Goa. Tarkowski would fix our issues at centre back. Proper defender, proven premier league experience. 

Indeed, but there might be a problem if it upsets our wage structure.

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Would quite like to see us go in for Openda of Brugge (been on loan at Vitesse and scored 18goals this year). Young striker, could be the future of Belgium's national team given his scoring record at lower levels. Supposedly available for 5-6million. Absolute coasted the Eredivisie. 

He doesn't want to play for brugge as well cos he wants to player in a better league.

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I would prefer Johnstone on a free.  He won’t be going to Spurs now.

I know very little about Dragowski but Johnstone is shite. Seems to make a howler every time I've watched him so not sure he's really any better than McCarthy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I know very little about Dragowski but Johnstone is shite. Seems to make a howler every time I've watched him so not sure he's really any better than McCarthy.

Johnstone is slightly better but really isn't that great. There are so many better options.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

that is a very strong argument for signing free transfers. The only issue is when they don't work out and there is even less chance of offloading them. However, as we often sign dirge and then struggle to shift those guys on £48k a week, what difference does it make? Plus, the chances of the free transfer high wage guy working out are maybe higher than the cheaper wage £15m transfer types.

I don't know if Tarkowski is the answer, but it seems a decent option. The question is, why would he join us ahead of Newcastle?

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What is the wage structure at SFC?

We have been paying £95k a week to Forster to sit on the bench and play for Celtic over the last few years, wouldn't every play at the club during that time have this been entitled to have his agent ask for £95k a week too seeing as they are actually playing for the first team? Did they?

JWP has just got a massive new contract - £100k a week and the rest. Why shouldn't Romeu expect that or KWP? 

There will always be players on more money, especially if they have let contracts wind down, or signed new ones to avoid them walking, or maybe getting a rise because other clubs bid for them. All those elements create unevenness. Its not as though talent and performance is rewarded with a higher wage evenly. Shane Long earning a she load more than KWP will tell you that.

If Tarkowski comes in and get £120k a week, that's to his gain. The rest can see their contracts out and test the market too. Nothing to stop them. Doesn't mean they can all walk in the managers office the next day and ask for parity.

Do players even discuss how much they get paid with each other?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

what does that mean? 

not a clue. Maybe it suggests that nothing is off the table. Tarkowski on a free on a big wage, rather than just the same type of deal we have focused on in the recent past? 

I'm guessing they will be doing everything possible to shift the `deadwood', including low or no fees and paying players off or a percentage of their wages. `Bold' in other words. Whether that happens though... 

Edited by Chez

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

that is a very strong argument for signing free transfers. The only issue is when they don't work out and there is even less chance of offloading them. However, as we often sign dirge and then struggle to shift those guys on £48k a week, what difference does it make? Plus, the chances of the free transfer high wage guy working out are maybe higher than the cheaper wage £15m transfer types.

I don't know if Tarkowski is the answer, but it seems a decent option. The question is, why would he join us ahead of Newcastle?

If Newcastle want him he'll obviously go there over us. But you make good points in your other post and view is similar to mine that we've been paying dross good money to do nothing and just because one player comes in on good money it doesn't mean automatically everyone else is going to get or even demand rises. One good play for £120k a week that plays every week or two crap ones on £60k a week that contribute little. It's a no brainer.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If Newcastle want him he'll obviously go there over us. But you make good points in your other post and view is similar to mine that we've been paying dross good money to do nothing and just because one player comes in on good money it doesn't mean automatically everyone else is going to get or even demand rises. One good play for £120k a week that plays every week or two crap ones on £60k a week that contribute little. It's a no brainer.

And if other players do demand higher wages the response should be told  " show me you are worth that much to the team and we'll review it again in 6 months time".

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I thought Everton were making a big push for Tarkowski

Edited by waylander

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They are coming out fighting

Very different messaging to what we have had upto now.  We had been told nothing changes strategy wise other than being able to do things sooner. I wonder whats changed........ unless of course its all talk.  

it sounds like Bednarek and possibly Romeu are on there way 

Bednarek needs to be replaced with a guaranteed starter who can lead the defence and partner Salisu - so it needs to be someone who has a good amount of first team experience.  I like the look of Caleta-Car but could we persuade him to leave Champions League football at Marseille.  If Forest don't make it through the play-offs Joe Worral would be another one to consider (at 25 and as Forest captain he would hopefully give some leadership on the pitch).

Those 2 plus Colwill on loan from Chelsea to replace Stephens (and send Simeu out on loan to championship) would be a good depth at centre back.  

If Romeu does go we should take a look at Matt Grimes at Swansea - a left footed defensive midfielder and deep lying playmaker he would make a good partner for JWP  - and at 25 and captain of Swansea he would hopefully give some leadership on the pitch as well.

Is John Swift  (25) on a free transfer from Reading worth a look to provide cover and depth at CM/AM with some experience? Although he was born in Pompey so it might be a no go on that.  

Ethan Ampadu might be another one to look at to provide depth and cover at centre back, DM and RB. Allowing KWP to provide cover at LB for Perraud.  Or maybe we should taker a look at Josh Doig at Hibernian for left back cover.  

Brennan Johnson would be an obvious one for the AM position if Forest don't get promoted. Tino Anjorin from Chelsea is another we have shown interest in. 

I'd also take a look at Joel Piroe at Swansea for the AM / Second Striker / Inside Forward roles and Viktor Gyokeres at Coventry at centre forward to replace Long and Broja.  

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They are coming out fighting

Its all well and good saying this kind of crap, and lets me honest we've heard similar before but I'll believe it when I see it

I mean... its patently obvious to everyone that YES we need to spend big this summer, we needed a large overhaul last summer but now we are STILL without a decent first choice striker and we've not only lost a starting RB but Romeu arguably looks like he no longer has the legs for a full campaign

It'll be interesting to see where we go, so far its just being linked with a significant number of young players that we won't be signing all of or maybe even any of on a permanent deal

Going back to a previous topic around quality over anything, that is of course true, but lets not forget that when our squad is firing on all cylinders it can match anybody on its day (as shown in purple patches over the last two seasons) however we struggle when results and momentum gets on top of us, to help that you need experienced heads that can help galvanise a squad and 11 under 23's isn't going to solve that.... we need a couple of leaders at least

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Anyone care to summarise who is on their way out?  I just red Romeu above, which was a surprise, I saw on the Echo (lifted from The Athletic) that Stephens and Bednarek. A list would be helpful

Im not sure there is any direct definitive quotes anywhere but so far Ive seen;

Ely
Stephens
Bednarek
Walcott
Redmond

As the ones that are being talked about as 'open to offers' from reputable sources.... personally Ive not really seen mention of Romeu anywhere other then questioning whether we will offer him a new deal

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its all well and good saying this kind of crap, and lets me honest we've heard similar before but I'll believe it when I see it

Agreed, sounds good but how many post-season Telegraph/Athletic pieces have we had talking about how much we'll do, which has led to literally nothing.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Agreed, sounds good but how many post-season Telegraph/Athletic pieces have we had talking about how much we'll do, which has led to literally nothing.

My favourite one was the window after we sold Van Dijk, repeatedly linked with a number of very good players, we ended up with Carillo with Les saying how tough it was to get that deal done. Probably because they just have thought the fee we offered was a wind up. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are we only in the market for free transfers and loans? That's all we seem to be be linked with #noholdsbarred

Are you serious? Anyone with a modicum of intelligence or powers of recall will remember that RH said with Tino being out until the New Year the club may have to look at cover. This would be the ideal solution, a free transfer, a player with vast Premier League experience and someone who can come in and do a decent job.

Give the club some stick when they deserve it, and bloody hell there’s enough scope for that, but don’t criticise when they look to do something logical and sensible.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If anyone is upset that they’re not earning 120k a week, then seriously let them go. 

Other than JWP (who’s probably on about that anyway) and maybe KWP, absolutely no one else deserves anything close to that figure. 

Maybe upsetting the wage structure and fucking off all the over hyped shite is the best way to go. 

Id much rather have Tarkowosk on 120k a week than Bednerak, Stephens on close to that. 

Likewise for attacking options, I’d much rather we pay for quality than have Long, Walcott, Moi, Redmond etc. Eating up the best part of 200k and offering us fuck all. 

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

it sounds like Bednarek and possibly Romeu are on there way 

Bednarek needs to be replaced with a guaranteed starter who can lead the defence and partner Salisu - so it needs to be someone who has a good amount of first team experience.  I like the look of Caleta-Car but could we persuade him to leave Champions League football at Marseille.  If Forest don't make it through the play-offs Joe Worral would be another one to consider (at 25 and as Forest captain he would hopefully give some leadership on the pitch).

Those 2 plus Colwill on loan from Chelsea to replace Stephens (and send Simeu out on loan to championship) would be a good depth at centre back.  

If Romeu does go we should take a look at Matt Grimes at Swansea - a left footed defensive midfielder and deep lying playmaker he would make a good partner for JWP  - and at 25 and captain of Swansea he would hopefully give some leadership on the pitch as well.

Is John Swift  (25) on a free transfer from Reading worth a look to provide cover and depth at CM/AM with some experience? Although he was born in Pompey so it might be a no go on that.  

Ethan Ampadu might be another one to look at to provide depth and cover at centre back, DM and RB. Allowing KWP to provide cover at LB for Perraud.  Or maybe we should taker a look at Josh Doig at Hibernian for left back cover.  

Brennan Johnson would be an obvious one for the AM position if Forest don't get promoted. Tino Anjorin from Chelsea is another we have shown interest in. 

I'd also take a look at Joel Piroe at Swansea for the AM / Second Striker / Inside Forward roles and Viktor Gyokeres at Coventry at centre forward to replace Long and Broja.  

Gyokeres is a good championship striker, as was Armstrong. But not sure he has the pace to make the step up.

15 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Are you serious? Anyone with a modicum of intelligence or powers of recall will remember that RH said with Tino being out until the New Year the club may have to look at cover. This would be the ideal solution, a free transfer, a player with vast Premier League experience and someone who can come in and do a decent job.

Give the club some stick when they deserve it, and bloody hell there’s enough scope for that, but don’t criticise when they look to do something logical and sensible.

Fredricks is shit though. Pointless adding cover with someone who isn’t good enough to play a prolonged period of games. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Fredricks is shit though. Pointless adding cover with someone who isn’t good enough to play a prolonged period of games. 

He’s worse than Salisu at full back, Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco is he? Really, is he?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

He’s worse than Salisu at full back, Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco is he? Really, is he?

Why are you using a comparison with playing a centre back out of position?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Those aren’t the only choices, are they?

He is supposed to have been on 40 grand a week base salary at WHU, and they don’t want to offer him a contract, he’s been injury prone this year and slipped down to third choice RB.

In any case, it seems he’s going to Fulham.

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why are you using a comparison with playing a centre back out of position?

Oh Christ here’s Mr Picky. It’s because he would be cover and RH used a centre back out of position as cover, that’s why. Thought you may have worked that out. He’s also used Stephens as right back hasn’t he and whilst he played there in his youth that also counts as out of position centre back !

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

What are you going on about? All we've been linked with so far are free transfers and loans, aside from this Polish reserve keeper from Fiorentina. Hardly "no holds barred"

37 minutes ago, Dman said:

If anyone is upset that they’re not earning 120k a week, then seriously let them go. 

Other than JWP (who’s probably on about that anyway) and maybe KWP, absolutely no one else deserves anything close to that figure. 

Maybe upsetting the wage structure and fucking off all the over hyped shite is the best way to go. 

Id much rather have Tarkowosk on 120k a week than Bednerak, Stephens on close to that. 

Likewise for attacking options, I’d much rather we pay for quality than have Long, Walcott, Moi, Redmond etc. Eating up the best part of 200k and offering us fuck all. 

Quite. People are moaning about how shit our squad is, overloaded with mediocre players not doing very much. Now people are worried that if we sign a much better player and pay them more the same load of shite will ask for a payrise! 

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Yes, that’s just what we need, a third choice right-back.

We need a back up right back, because Livramento isn't expected to play again in 2022 - and there's no guarantees he'll return from a career threatening injury at the level he was at previously. At least not straight away. Wouldn't be a surprise if the majority of next season is a write off for the lad.

35 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Aye? 

He might or might not be a better option than those at full back, however, we’re just over the crest of the wave and finally look

like shifting the dross one, reasonable PL wages, who are adding 0 to our squad (Walcott, Long, Stephens, Forster and even Bednerak etc.) 

Bringing in Fredricks is more of the same. He’s crap, we can do better, even if it’s another youngster in the Tino mould..

I’d rather we looked at Brandon Williams who can cover both R and L back. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Quite. People are moaning about how shit our squad is, overloaded with mediocre players not doing very much. Now people are worried that if we sign a much better player and pay them more the same load of shite will ask for a payrise! 

As a club were generally speaking, pretty skint. 

We need to be spending wisely and spending on quality, rather than loading up on crap. As we have done for the past 4 years.