Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

21 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

in talks with city to sign Bazunu... seems a massive risk but very highly rated. 

The last young keeper we got from City didn’t work out so well. Better luck this time I hope cos the longer we have to put up with McCarthy the worse it’s gonna get.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He said the same thing virtually word for word at the end of last season. Did the defence improve? I guess we went from 68 goals conceded to 67, if you can call that progress.

Maybe the individual defenders are less of a problem than a manager who has two 9-0s on his record and hasn't got a fucking clue how to set up a defence. Just a thought.

So we let in 67 goals this season, without a 9-0. Take the "freak" 9-0 out and take the other 37 games last season, we conceded an avg of 1.6 goals per game 

After the first 11 games, we'd conceded a total of 12 goals, or an average of 1.09 per game.  In the following 27 games, we've conceded a total of 55, or an average of 2.04 goals per game.  You're never going to stand a chance of getting results if you're letting that many goals in.  Not quite sure what changed really, after those first set of games. I'd say we've been worse this season defensively than last season, apart from that early run of games.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

in talks with city to sign Bazunu... seems a massive risk but very highly rated. 

It's a huge risk. I'd have much preferred a more experienced/seasoned goalkeeper to come in. If we get Bazunu it likely means that we will start with McCarthy as number 1, which is wrong at all levels.

Ideally you get rid of McCarthy and Forster, bring in Bazunu AND a more experienced goalie. But that ain't going to happen.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a huge risk. I'd have much preferred a more experienced/seasoned goalkeeper to come in. If we get Bazunu it likely means that we will start with McCarthy as number 1, which is wrong at all levels.

Ideally you get rid of McCarthy and Forster, bring in Bazunu AND a more experienced goalie. But that ain't going to happen.

Don't worry, if Bazunu is as talented as they say he could be, we'd only probably be giving up 2 or 3 games before Macca's produced enough cock ups to get dropped.

39 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I saw some pics of him on the pitch at Leicester y/day, waving to fans rather than clapping. Yeah, he's gone. Be interesting to see what happens with him next.

Chelsea can't really do much yet, so they need to count on him for next year. He'll probably be part of their squad, then leave next summer to West Ham or similar.

• Sad 1

Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Don't worry, if Bazunu is as talented as they say he could be, we'd only probably be giving up 2 or 3 games before Macca's produced enough cock ups to get dropped.

Hopefully it's a Tino situation...! But it is risky! High Risk, high reward though you'd say.

12 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Broja says goodbye and thank you to everyone….not a mention about the gaffer and the coaching staff. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep that stood out to me too

just like Bertrand when he left last year 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

Yep that stood out to me too

just like Bertrand when he left last year 

Was it (alledgedly) Ings who said, when he was still here, that the coaching was a joke?

The lad has gone backwards in the past couple of months or so, thats on the manager with this bloody one up front and have him in a different postcode than the rest of the team tactics.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Was it (alledgedly) Ings who said, when he was still here, that the coaching was a joke?

The lad has gone backwards in the past couple of months or so, thats on the manager with this bloody one up front and have him in a different postcode than the rest of the team tactics.

How much is the tactics, which often aren't great, or the 'young, upcoming striker being coached by a couple of goalkeepers'?

"Come to us young players. You're finshing and creativity skills will be enhanced by a retired keeper in his first coaching job. And another bloke who used to coach goalies, and now has an iPad".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Suhari said:

How much is the tactics, which often aren't great, or the 'young, upcoming striker being coached by a couple of goalkeepers'?

"Come to us young players. You're finshing and creativity skills will be enhanced by a retired keeper in his first coaching job. And another bloke who used to coach goalies, and now has an iPad".

Ralph seems to be a master at coaching individuality and unpredictability out of players in favour of rigidity and predictability. When Djenepo first arrived he looked confident, scored goal of the month and I thought he might turn out to be decent. Two years with Ralph and he looks appalling. Same with Broja but in a shorter space of time. Give Ralph De Bruyne and Mbappe and he'll have them at League 2 level within a season easily...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Ralph seems to be a master at coaching individuality and unpredictability out of players in favour of rigidity and predictability. When Djenepo first arrived he looked confident, scored goal of the month and I thought he might turn out to be decent. Two years with Ralph and he looks appalling. Same with Broja but in a shorter space of time. Give Ralph De Bruyne and Mbappe and he'll have them at League 2 level within a season easily...

I think there is a lot of truth in this. The problem with Ralph is that you have to buy into and play the game according to his play book. Unfortunately football is played on a grass pitch not on the paper pages of a book. All flair seems to vanish as soon as players get taught the Ralph way. Seen it with Tino, Broja, Djenepo, Tella even the likes of Redmond and Elyounousi.

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

I could reverse that argument by saying JWP and Romeu have come on leaps and bounds under Ralph...

Not everything is the manager's fault.

KWP too. And Ings became a 22 goal PL striker.

It's a bit pointless to just hammer in one side whilst ignoring the other, for sure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I think there is a lot of truth in this. The problem with Ralph is that you have to buy into and play the game according to his play book. Unfortunately football is played on a grass pitch not on the paper pages of a book. All flair seems to vanish as soon as players get taught the Ralph way. Seen it with Tino, Broja, Djenepo, Tella even the likes of Redmond and Elyounousi.

This is exactly what it is. The automatisms involved in RalphBall have to be completely in synch because they are analysed to such an degree to maximis effectiveness. Super, when it works. But the players will become automatons in order to fit within that structure. Showing flair within it should only be done at certain trigger points, as the perceived risk of losing the ball, and being exposed, is so high. Flair as a robot isn't really a good fit, so over time, and as the mental and physical fatigue of the system sets in, you see less and less of it.

As you say it's Broja, Djenepo, Tella, Tino and defintiely Redmond who has received instructions to run at people/ not run at people/ stop and pass / go up front/ be a 10 depending on how found out Ralphs' tactics are at any particular time. Flair that gives the ball away is not what the system looks for. Before them, Bertrand and Ings. Both examples of players who have been at top clubs and know the value of things beyond the playbook. That's not necessarily a critisicm. For RalphBall to work, everyone has to buy into it. That's the way it is. Conversely, when it goes pear shaped, you end up with players with all the individuality coached out of them.

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

The last young keeper we got from City didn’t work out so well. Better luck this time I hope cos the longer we have to put up with McCarthy the worse it’s gonna get.

I think the third goalkeeper coach we now have will make all the difference 

28 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I could reverse that argument by saying JWP and Romeu have come on leaps and bounds under Ralph...

Not everything is the manager's fault.

I think you'll find it is. Rule one of being a football fan...EVERYTHING is the manager's fault and I'm talking right down to public transport that you're taking to get to games being late.

Rule two is that everyone hates your chosen team. Referees, governing bodies, the media etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apparently a good source for Liverpool stuff. I'd be very happy with this one on loan, be a bit sceptical if we're dropping £20m~ outright given the injury concerns.

I did wonder if we'd look at that possibility, he doesn't get a sniff at Liverpool now.

But if he's available I can imagine much bigger clubs being interested, I guess the 'home club' is our main card to play here.

9 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Tarkowski being courted by both Villa and Everton with the latter supposedly being at the front of the queue. If true, we'd obviously have no chance. 

You have to enter a race to have a chance of winning, seems like we've not even bothered. We are smarter than those clubs.

• Like 1

I did wonder if we'd look at that possibility, he doesn't get a sniff at Liverpool now.

But if he's available I can imagine much bigger clubs being interested, I guess the 'home club' is our main card to play here.

I remember last time he was linked, the consensus was that his dad was uber keen for him to come back to Saints. Which really angered them down the road.

He’s class… but doesn’t he still get injured a lot? 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

You have to enter a race to have a chance of winning, seems like we've not even bothered. We are smarter than those clubs.

Problem is...

If we try and get him our fans will whinge about us going after a player we have no chance of getting and make out that it distracted us from more realistic targets.

If we don't try, it'll be "We have no ambition, the worst he can say is no!"

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apparently a good source for Liverpool stuff. I'd be very happy with this one on loan, be a bit sceptical if we're dropping £20m~ outright given the injury concerns.

Yes please, would love Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain back :)

12 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Paul Joyce saying that Liverpool will listen to offers on him 

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Let’s get the band back together with Bale & Ox to have the best physio room we’ve ever had.

>dewey eyed nostalgia<  And an extension for Walcott too, just so we can play all three...

Wanyama and Schneiderlin will be out there somewhere, and... oh, wait this is the plot to ...

🙂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So far he has been linked with Fulham, West Ham, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and Leicester.

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I'd not heard that about Ings.  I did agree with your second comment until I thought about it a bit more.  A striker that can only play in a formation that has two up front is not much use to us.  There will be times that you do need to play 1 up front (not as often as we did it in recent times) and there fore you need a striker can adapt to that.

25 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don’t really see where he fits unless it’s a we’re selling our captain, here’s another local instead.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Let’s be honest, he’s an upgrade on our current players so on loan it would be foolish not to go for him (if he was interested).

Personally can’t see it happening.

Some of the usual suspects on this one might rule themselves out with Lingaard being available too.

37 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Paul Joyce saying that Liverpool will listen to offers on him 

Can’t believe he’s only 28. Seems to have been around forever. Probably worth a loan deal, when fit huge upgrade on what we’ve got but fitness is the issue 

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Can’t believe he’s only 28. Seems to have been around forever. Probably worth a loan deal, when fit huge upgrade on what we’ve got but fitness is the issue 

Aiye. He's not Finnish.

52 minutes ago, Mowgli said:

I'd not heard that about Ings.  I did agree with your second comment until I thought about it a bit more.  A striker that can only play in a formation that has two up front is not much use to us.  There will be times that you do need to play 1 up front (not as often as we did it in recent times) and there fore you need a striker can adapt to that.

Fair point but not necessarily at 19 and in your first season in the league. It takes a while to learn all the different aspects and having the occasional “pass” fired in your general direction from 30 yards away with nobody else near you has got to be the hardest to adapt to.

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I believe that rumoured Ings comment came from moving from Klopp's coaching, to Mark Hughes' and describing it as a holiday camp in comparison. 

As for Ox, he was very good at Liverpool before his injury put him out for a year, would be one of those where his quality would be obvious from his first touch if he returned here. He's not the right winger that we sold anymore, much like Walcott wasn't the striker that we sold, but neither is Bale the left-back. We'd just need to hope he remains largely injury free, as Ings did for the most part here, he certainly wasn't as injury plagued as he was.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I believe we are in the mix for him.