Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Aaron Hickey from Bologna would solve our problems at both left and right back - primarily a left back he is supposedly two footed and can play right back as well - he would provide cover for Perraud and KWP whilst Tino is out injured and would allow us to send Small out on loan for the  season.  He's supposed to be available for £15M or so.

We need extra depth and cover at both left back and right back as Small in not ready for the Premier League yet - and next summer I expect we will sell one or not both of KWP and Tino.  

If not Hickey how about Josh Doig for left back and Max Aarons for right back.  

What problems at right and left back? Perrard is decent, KWP has just been called up for England and can play both sides and Liveramento is one of the best young full backs in Europe, we aren't going to spend £15m on a third choice full back. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What problems at right and left back? Perrard is decent, KWP has just been called up for England and can play both sides and Liveramento is one of the best young full backs in Europe, we aren't going to spend £15m on a third choice full back. 

I agree that we're not spending £15m on a back up, but we clearly need to bring someone in to cover the full-back positions as Tino is out until Christmas at the earliest (and then it's a coin-flip if he'll come back as good as he was). I imagine we'll pick up someone very cheap from the continent similar to Martina or an old player looking for a final contract without much playing time (Coleman perhaps?).

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

I agree that we're not spending £15m on a back up, but we clearly need to bring someone in to cover the full-back positions as Tino is out until Christmas at the earliest (and then it's a coin-flip if he'll come back as good as he was). I imagine we'll pick up someone very cheap from the continent similar to Martina or an old player looking for a final contract without much playing time (Coleman perhaps?).

it'll be someone on loan unless we are selling KWP. Big things expected of Livramento (in terms of future resale value) so we aren't going to get anyone worth having here for 6 months then happy to stand aside whist a 19 year old takes their place. 

3 minutes ago, igsey said:

Not to sure that will be a priority for us. We still have Valery who can cover right back,albeit not fantastically. Even JWP if he stays can play there if need be. 

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not to sure that will be a priority for us. We still have Valery who can cover right back,albeit not fantastically. Even JWP if he stays can play there if need be. 

Not sure we could deal with losing him from the midfield for half the season though. nor would I want to rely on Valery for 6 months. 

I'd like to think that Small and Valery might be able to step in, but probably depends on how bad Perraud's injury is. 

48 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Valery isn’t viewed as a right back anymore, Tuesday night showed that. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Reckon he'd jump at the chance to join Man U, why wouldn't he. Could see potentially Spurs or Arsenal interested and most likely destination.

For kudos/cash and a chance of Champions League in the future, Man Utd it's a no brainer. I understand he and the family are settled in Otterbourne though, hence my feeling it'll be London. Chelsea would be ideal for him from a geographical point of view. 

I wouldn't mind asking if Aaron Wan-Bissaka wants to come here on loan and assuming KWP wants to really switch to the left...

Although AWB probably out of our price range for wages... or to take other fringe players on loan that aren't the likes of Walcott from a big 6 club

42 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I wouldn't mind asking if Aaron Wan-Bissaka wants to come here on loan and assuming KWP wants to really switch to the left...

Although AWB probably out of our price range for wages... or to take other fringe players on loan that aren't the likes of Walcott from a big 6 club

and as if by magic the shopkeeper appeared

jDe2oKL.gif

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12616652/aaron-wan-bissaka-manchester-united-open-to-offers-for-defender-in-summer-transfer-window

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Tino will be out injured until half way through next season so that gives us a problem as we will only have 2 fit first team fullbacks in Perraud and KWP until then. So what do we do if one of them get injured.

We could rely on Small/Vokins and Valery/Ramsey to provide cover but I don't think any of them are ready for that yet or good enough - and I am not sure any of them will be here next season.  

Personally I think you need 2 LBs and 2RBs to cover a whole season anyway - but you could get away with 3 if one or more of them can play on both sides.  

Added to that if Tino comes back fully from his injury its highly likely we will sell him next summer when Chelsea's buy back clause kicks in - so we should have one eye on needing to replace him or KWP if either or both of them leaves for a bigger club.  

Plus Ralph  talked about needing to bring in a full back to  provide cover when Tino got injured.

27 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

Always thought this guy looked great, particularly defensively in one-v-ones. He always seemed to nullify our wide men. Though perhaps that's not saying much......!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

My favourite episode is the one where he dresses in a Hummel kit, and goes on to save a team from certain relegation. 🙂

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Tino will be out injured until half way through next season so that gives us a problem as we will only have 2 fit first team fullbacks in Perraud and KWP until then. So what do we do if one of them get injured.

We could rely on Small/Vokins and Valery/Ramsey to provide cover but I don't think any of them are ready for that yet or good enough - and I am not sure any of them will be here next season.  

Personally I think you need 2 LBs and 2RBs to cover a whole season anyway - but you could get away with 3 if one or more of them can play on both sides.  

Added to that if Tino comes back fully from his injury its highly likely we will sell him next summer when Chelsea's buy back clause kicks in - so we should have one eye on needing to replace him or KWP if either or both of them leaves for a bigger club.  

Plus Ralph  talked about needing to bring in a full back to  provide cover when Tino got injured.

I hope you're right but in reality he'll only miss a dozen or so games, the season will start and then finish for a couple of months mid/end October before starting again around christmas time for the world cup. I really dont think we'll be making a permenant signing unless it's a free or very cheap player. It'll probably be a loan for a season, we certainly wont be spending £15m of our limited budget on a full back unless we are selling one. It'd be great to have two very good players for every positon but unfortunately we dont have the funds. Plus we are obsessed with young players, which is all well and good but you need a bit of experience as well and we've lack that for years. 

Wan-Bissaka is very good defensively one-on-one, but not very good attacking wise (not as good as Livramento or KWP). Fairly similar style (but better) than the over-rated Tyrick Mitchell, who isn't particularly impressive going forward but pretty good defensively. 

Walcott deserves a good move to MLS - he'd do well out there in an increasingly competitive league. I think people are forgetting when he first came here, the amount of positive runs him and others were making when we were playing more exciting high tempo attacking /counter attacking football. He was a good asset for us at that time, but then slowly phased out with injuries and non selection. Not sure he offers less than Long to be fair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I hope you're right but in reality he'll only miss a dozen or so games, the season will start and then finish for a couple of months mid/end October before starting again around christmas time for the world cup.

It's a bit early to be pencilling in Tino's triumphant return from what is a career threatening injury. Sam McQueen never kicked a ball again in anger after he did his ACL. Jay Rodriguez was never the same player. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is barely a part-time footballer now.

It'd be foolish for the club not to plan for his recovery taking far longer than speculated. Getting back on the pitch is one thing, getting back to playing at pre-injury levels quite another.

I'd guess that we'll sniff around Brandon Williams again as a season loan.

• Like 1

Tottenham are weighing up a move for Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster, with the 34-year-old set to leave the club as a free agent this summer #saintsfc 

good enough for champions league but not better than Alex McCarthy

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Tottenham are weighing up a move for Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster, with the 34-year-old set to leave the club as a free agent this summer #saintsfc 

Seriously, how many games do you think he is likely to play there? Opening rounds of the Carabo Cup? Last group game of the Champions League when they are already knocked out? Always assuming they get that far in the first place 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Seriously, how many games do you think he is likely to play there? Opening rounds of the Carabo Cup? Last group game of the Champions League when they are already knocked out? Always assuming they get that far in the first place 

Regardless of games, there’s a lucrative market for experienced keepers to be No.2’s & 3’s higher up the league. 

20 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Adam Armstrong won’t be leaving - the club is not going to loan out a £15m signing less than a year after buying when the manager has decided to keep him on the bench for the majority of the season.

Isn't that exactly what happened to £16m Elyounoussi?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Regardless of games, there’s a lucrative market for experienced keepers to be No.2’s & 3’s higher up the league. 

Yeah I get that. But the suggestion was that  Forster is good enough for Champions League football,which he isn't. Both of our keepers are shit and we really should be looking at replacing both of them,which of course won't be happening 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yeah I get that. But the suggestion was that  Forster is good enough for Champions League football,which he isn't. Both of our keepers are shit and we really should be looking at replacing both of them,which of course won't be happening 

McCarthy is sufficiently capable of being backup to whoever our number one 'keeper is next season. He will make mistakes and be a weakness when he plays but nobody significantly better than him is going to sit on the bench at Southampton. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

I’d argue most likely concept might be to loan in a cover fullback and then keep one of small/Ramsay/vokins as 4th choice.

48 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Especially as they are also meant to be signing Sam Johnstone on a free. Can’t see there being any truth in this if Johnstone goes there 

1 hour ago, DT said:

It's a European registration thing, they need a certain amount of homegrown in nation players in the squad for European games. That then frees up a space for a player they are more likely to use rather than wasting a foreign slot on a back up keeper. Its why Man City had Scott Carson. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

It's a European registration thing, they need a certain amount of homegrown in nation players in the squad for European games. That then frees up a space for a player they are more likely to use rather than wasting a foreign slot on a back up keeper. Its why Man City had Scott Carson. 

Also spurs haven’t got a no2 on a loan at the moment 

From Mike McGrath (@telefootball)

West Ham, Southampton, Brentford and Bournemouth are in a four-way fight for Hull winger Keane Lewis-Potter after expressing interest in the England Under-21 winger.

Acun Ilicali, the Hull owner, has insisted he will reject £30 million offers for Lewis-Potter, who he describes as “God’s gift” to him after taking charge at the MKM Stadium last season.

The 21-year-old, who has one season left on his contract, scored goals and Ilicali wants him to help mount a promotion charge to the Premier League next season.

“Keane is like God’s gift to us,” said Ilicali. “He has extreme potential. He is going to be one of the biggest stars of the future.

“Of course, we have big offers for him. If I had any interest in making any money, there cannot be a better deal than that. You buy a football club and you sell the left winger and you make enough money to make all the transfers.

“But I reject all of these. Even if they offer £30 million to me, I will not sell him because I think his presence is much more important than anything for this club at the moment. He will be so useful for our team and our fans that I will not lose him.”

16 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

West Ham, Southampton, Brentford and Bournemouth are in a four-way fight for Hull winger Keane Lewis-Potter after expressing interest in the England Under-21 winger.

Acun Ilicali, the Hull owner, has insisted he will reject £30 million offers for Lewis-Potter, who he describes as “God’s gift” to him after taking charge at the MKM Stadium last season.

The 21-year-old, who has one season left on his contract, scored goals and Ilicali wants him to help mount a promotion charge to the Premier League next season.

“Keane is like God’s gift to us,” said Ilicali. “He has extreme potential. He is going to be one of the biggest stars of the future.

“Of course, we have big offers for him. If I had any interest in making any money, there cannot be a better deal than that. You buy a football club and you sell the left winger and you make enough money to make all the transfers.

“But I reject all of these. Even if they offer £30 million to me, I will not sell him because I think his presence is much more important than anything for this club at the moment. He will be so useful for our team and our fans that I will not lose him.”

He’ll go for 15 then 😉

• Like 1

🚨 Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse is ‘appreciated’ by those at West Ham, but any move to sign the 27-year-old would not be easy #saintsfc [@FabrizioRomano]

is this the bit where they get him for 50m and then sell rice for 100? Thought so

14 minutes ago, DT said:

🚨 Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse is ‘appreciated’ by those at West Ham, but any move to sign the 27-year-old would not be easy #saintsfc [@FabrizioRomano]

is this the bit where they get him for 50m and then sell rice for 100? Thought so

You’ve just made up that scenario so no, I wouldn’t have thought so. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

I hope you're right but in reality he'll only miss a dozen or so games, the season will start and then finish for a couple of months mid/end October before starting again around christmas time for the world cup. I really dont think we'll be making a permenant signing unless it's a free or very cheap player. It'll probably be a loan for a season, we certainly wont be spending £15m of our limited budget on a full back unless we are selling one. It'd be great to have two very good players for every positon but unfortunately we dont have the funds. Plus we are obsessed with young players, which is all well and good but you need a bit of experience as well and we've lack that for years. 

Id be happy with 1 good player in every position…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

KLP to come and join JWP and KWP. Sweet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Will we have this all summer? You just making up random scenarios because you are so convinced everyone will leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Regular as clockwork, every summer West Ham start "appreciating" players that will cost more than they are willing to spend

• Like 1

When a team has this many problems you build from the back. Excellent keeper and CB. Then defensive midfielder. Shut out the goals first. Then work on the rest. A manager who could do this would be useful, as would coaches who aren't goalkeepers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Regular as clockwork, every summer West Ham start "appreciating" players that will cost more than they are willing to spend

And we absolutely don’t get linked with players we won’t pay the money for

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think we need to face the reality that we haven't got the required funds to do all the business that we as fans want to see. 

I agree with what you are saying but without a lot of investment I feel we are in a bad position as the squad is pretty dire apart from a few players

1 hour ago, DT said:

Another summer of you wetting yourself over made up scenarios? Brilliant. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Surely if JWP is ever going to move then this summer would be the one?

Great personal season in a poor team, WC on the horizon and will be 28 in November so in the prime of his career whilst still giving a buyer enough good years to make it worthwhile for them.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Great personal season in a poor team, WC on the horizon and will be 28 in November so in the prime of his career whilst still giving a buyer enough good years to make it worthwhile for them.

Yep, it's probably now or never for him. Realistically although he's super fit he's probably only got another 2-3 years of being able to play at the energy levels he does right now. He'll then either regress or have to adapt his game. 

12 minutes ago, Dusic said:

It's probably the optimal summer for both club and player should he leave, his value will never be higher and if CL clubs are going to be interested then you'd imagine this summer would be the last they look at him due to his age.

But that's all I think will turn him, CL Football. And if I'm honest I don't see him as quite that level, he's more in around the Leicester/WHU/Wolves level i.e pushing for Top 6/Europa League. He may think he could achieve all that here rather than moving slightly up and sideways.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's probably the optimal summer for both club and player should he leave, his value will never be higher and if CL clubs are going to be interested then you'd imagine this summer would be the last they look at him due to his age.

But that's all I think will turn him, CL Football. And if I'm honest I don't see him as quite that level, he's more in around the Leicester/WHU/Wolves level i.e pushing for Top 6/Europa League. He may think he could achieve all that here rather than moving slightly up and sideways.

Pretty much how I see it as well. I think he's realistic enough to know that he won't get much game time at a top four club, which in turn will hamper his England ambitions. The only top 6 club I could see him at is Arsenal. 

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Pretty much how I see it as well. I think he's realistic enough to know that he won't get much game time at a top four club, which in turn will hamper his England ambitions. The only top 6 club I could see him at is Arsenal. 

I think Spurs is definitely an option. Could provide service to Kane et al, would fit in easily alongside Hojberg, Levy is quite used to taking players from us (usually too cheaply). Also, not far, stays in England picture, doubles his money probably, and gets CL football. Really think we should get used to the issue that it's probably about getting as much money as we can for him and potentially finding a replacement first (so cheaper)