Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Whatever peoples thoughts on them, Forster and Broja have been first choice for a large chunk of the season and neither will likely be here next season. We are thus weaker before we start. We need to get two signings right to avoid going backwards.

Reserve keepers apart, only Long is out of contract -  so this massive overhaul is only going to be possible if we offload our unwanted players - but who is going to take them off our hands? No one, especially at the start of the window. Maybe a few go out on loan, with us paying a percentage of their wages. 

There will be movement. I suspect Salisu will go and that will give us some cash to play with, but that will be three first choice players to replace just to stand still. 

Maybe tonight is not the night for me to be mulling this over. Depressing stuff on the pitch never mind off it. Roll on the summer.

I think for the likes of Djenepo, Walcott and Elyounoussi their book values are very low as their contracts are running down so anything is a bonus for them.

Bednarek might be worth £10m or so as has solid Intl pedigree.

Clearly only JWP, KWP or Salisu would generate big cash.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Whatever peoples thoughts on them, Forster and Broja have been first choice for a large chunk of the season and neither will likely be here next season. We are thus weaker before we start. We need to get two signings right to avoid going backwards.

Reserve keepers apart, only Long is out of contract -  so this massive overhaul is only going to be possible if we offload our unwanted players - but who is going to take them off our hands? No one, especially at the start of the window. Maybe a few go out on loan, with us paying a percentage of their wages. 

There will be movement. I suspect Salisu will go and that will give us some cash to play with, but that will be three first choice players to replace just to stand still. 

Maybe tonight is not the night for me to be mulling this over. Depressing stuff on the pitch never mind off it. Roll on the summer.

The problem with Moussa, Elyonoussi etc is that we've got ourself into the same predicament that we did with Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal. We're never going to get our value back on them, but we seem hesitant to accept anything less than what we paid, right up until the point they have a year left and then we pay them off or something daft.

But you're right, who is going to want any of those guys? I'd add Redmond to that list as well. They're on big wages, certainly more than you'd expect a promoted team to spend...and established teams aren't going to be looking at any of those. We'll end up paying them off again, I can see it. And obviously that eats into our budget.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Scouting needs to be spot on for clubs like us, we were saddled with FFP because we filled the squad up with failed big signings on shit wages, so we couldn't ever truly fix those mistakes, we kept either having to 'try' to get them to work or shift them out on loan every year. We haven't seen the back of that just yet, but we're getting there.

I have hope that our scouting is better, but we need to stop with the ''we want to find the next tino'' bollocks, as that is not a basis of a transfer plan for a club that only has a handful of PL players as it is.

I dont mind targeting one of those 'tino type' players per window as we also need to look longer term. But you're right, we need 5/6 PL quality players to come in as starters for next season. A bit of physicality would be greatly appreciated also

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I dont mind targeting one of those 'tino type' players per window as we also need to look longer term. But you're right, we need 5/6 PL quality players to come in as starters for next season. A bit of physicality would be greatly appreciated also

Absolutley no problem signing tino players, certainly a good idea for any club to look at those markets. The prob is when the club base their entire transfer strategy around that.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

This I agree with. We need proven quality to come straight into the starting eleven. And a couple of 'Tino type players to add to that' 

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

The problem I now have with some of our recent buys is I wonder whether Ralph is just taking them backwards and if they could flourish under someone new.

Don’t get me wrong, we have bought some duds but 2019 onwards these players have only known Ralph.

• Like 2

Hopefully we will be able to sell Redmond, Elyounoussi, and Djneppo now that they only have 1 year left on their contracts.  Given the wages they are on they were probably too expensive to sell to the level of club that would be interested in them when they had 2 years on their contracts.  I imagine with each of them their current contracts would have to be paid up as part of the deal.  It means we'll probably make very little money on them if any.

If we can't sell them do we loan them out for a season - or keep them to pad out the squad?  

Its probably the same with Valery and Ramsey who both have a year left.

Walcott is probably going nowhere for pretty much the same reason - no club will buy him given his wages and his age.  Maybe a loan but I don't think he would be interested in that and we would have to subsidise it.

Bednarek is the one of the few players that I think we will actually sell and get some money for - and hopefully enough to help us buy a first choice centreback.

Diallo and Adam Armstrong probably need to be loaned out to clubs at a lower level in the hope we can sell them next summer if they have a relatively good season somewhere else.

Tella, Vokins, Ferry, Smallbone, Watts, Simeu, Chauke and Small all  probably need to be loaned out to get more game time in the hope some of them will develop as players and be good enough to play for us eventually.

Forster, Caballero, McCarthy and Stephens should all have been released along with Stephens and Long.

We need to sign at least 6 first team players - a CDM, CB, CM, AM and CF and RB  get a couple of loans to add some depth to the squad at AM, CB and CF.

Can't see us doing this though - so fully expect Moi and Redmond to stay for another year, alongside Diallo and Armstrong, Stephens and McCarthy, Valery and Ramsey and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up giving Long another 1 year contract as well.

3 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Sell it all and rebuild like Palace 

• Bednarek - out
  • Wallcott - out
  • Long - out
  • McCarthy - out
  • Elyounoussi - out
  • Redmond - out
  • JWP - out
  • Caballero - out
  • Lewis - out 
  • Valery - out

Caballero will be out of contract, won’t he?

11 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Palace had a net spend of somewhere around £70m last summer. In 2020-21 they finished with 44 points. This season they’ve got 45 points from 36 games. It’s hardly a glowing endorsement of throwing £70m at the problem.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

• Bednarek - out
  • Wallcott - out
  • Long - out
  • McCarthy - out
  • Elyounoussi - out
  • Redmond - out
  • JWP - out
  • Caballero - out
  • Lewis - out 
  • Valery - out

I think it will be an unpopular opinion, but I rate Redmond higher than Armstrong. 

Armstrong makes some excellent direct runs, but often concedes possession or takes risks in central positions in our own half.  I also have doubts about his work rate and defensive ability. 

Redmond isn't great but feel he marginally helps the shape of the team more, and works a bit harder. 

I would hope we could upgrade in both! 

Not sure if the link will work, and don't think stats match what we seen on pitch (e.g Armstrong concedes possession stats aren't too bad, but don't show how often these put us under severe pressure) 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

• Bednarek - out
  • Wallcott - out
  • Long - out
  • McCarthy - out
  • Elyounoussi - out
  • Redmond - out
  • JWP - out
  • Caballero - out
  • Lewis - out 
  • Valery - out

Add AArmstrong & Djenpo to the list.

2 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

• Bednarek - out
  • Wallcott - out
  • Long - out
  • McCarthy - out
  • Elyounoussi - out
  • Redmond - out
  • JWP - out
  • Caballero - out
  • Lewis - out 
  • Valery - out

Add Tella to that list. He's nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

• Bednarek - out
  • Wallcott - out
  • Long - out
  • McCarthy - out
  • Elyounoussi - out
  • Redmond - out
  • JWP - out
  • Caballero - out
  • Lewis - out 
  • Valery - out

I think with Palace they 'had to', they had so many players out of contract (most of their defense to start with), so they couldn't just sit back and not spend. They were forced to. I don't know where they got that money from, as they're not particularly flush, but it was probably sustainably done over a few windows rather than all at once. I don't see them spending much this summer because of that, their transfers last year were to build a new team and move towards a new future. They'll continue to grow with those players over the coming years.

• Like 1

I don't mind having Redmond or Elyounoussi around as options if we can't get a fee for them this Summer. I'm just fed up of the situation where our selection of winger/10s is so poor that they get as much game opportunity as they do.

The rest on that list (other than JWP, obviously...) can go with the inclusion of Djenepo.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

He also doesn't want to be here. Cheerio.

Have it on very good authority, that he’s fallen out with Ralph. 

Apparently he wasn’t best pleased when Ralph explained why Long was getting game time ahead of him and AA basically told him, in no uncertain terms, what he thought. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Apparently he wasn’t best pleased when Ralph explained why Long was getting game time ahead of him and AA basically told him, in no uncertain terms, what he thought. 

Went down tunnel early again last night way before end

45 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I don't mind having Redmond or Elyounoussi around as options if we can't get a fee for them this Summer. I'm just fed up of the situation where our selection of winger/10s is so poor that they get as much game opportunity as they do.

The rest on that list (other than JWP, obviously...) can go with the inclusion of Djenepo.

I can see us keeping Elyounoussi, but Redmond will be free to go I think. But you're right, they should only be squad players at best but they have to start because we're so shit. Getting two new starters in that area in the summer is as big a priority as CB and GK in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Maybe this has spread to others in the squad too and why they ended up just doing enough to keep us in the league. For example, Redmond's had worse seasons here, but then got frozen out with reports that we were selling him, now is back in because the others have been shite. McCarthy, got frozen out/an injury after the Brighton debacle and called out post match, now back in the team because of a Forster "injury". Adams, one week he's one of the first names on the team sheet, then next he's a bench player and that has extended to Broja and S. Armstrong during the recent months. Romeu's been in and out of the first eleven during this poor run, Stephens gets thrown in and out of the team, same for Lyanco and the same for Perraud. Admittedly, Salisu was playing awfully before he was eventually dropped. But, essentially, everyone's been dropped at times this season, barring JWP and Livramento and in the modern game and with player power, not everyone reacts as KWP did.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dman said:

True that.

To be honest there isnt a player aside from JWP who can be happy with their performance through out the entire season.

Armstrong was given the first opportunity in the striker role and lost out after a couple of months, maybe the way we play doesnt suit him but i actually like his shoot on sight approach instead of our gunshy walk into the net types

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Interested to know what reason was given for picking Long instead.

37 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest there isnt a player aside from JWP who can be happy with their performance through out the entire season.

Armstrong was given the first opportunity in the striker role and lost out after a couple of months, maybe the way we play doesnt suit him but i actually like his shoot on sight approach instead of our gunshy walk into the net types

Hum KWP?

6 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Went down tunnel early again last night way before end

The sky cameras showed him talking to former team mate Harvey Elliott on the pitch right after the final whistle 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Nice potential CB pairing out of contract in the summer: Dan Axel Zagadou (22), left sided giant at Dortmund, and Niklas Stark (27), German international right sided CB at Hertha Berlin who also plays in midfield. Former Man City CB and Belgian international Jason Denayer (26) is also available on a free from Lyon.

Bit of value out there in the market, perhaps, for us paupers.

7 hours ago, Dman said:

We might be looking for a bit of a striker re-build if Broja / Long / Arma all depart.

Adam Armstrong won’t be leaving - the club is not going to loan out a £15m signing less than a year after buying when the manager has decided to keep him on the bench for the majority of the season.

Little bit tired of the comparison between him and Armando Broja. Yes AB is better then AA currently but he’s played way more games, and actually aside from his purple patch over Christmas has done sod all for the past few months. Seems to be a massive love in for him and quite frankly he is worth no more than the £15m we paid for AA.

James Ward-Prowse won’t leave either, getting bored with the rumour mill and panicking from some of our fans, some people love the drama and the gossip.

In terms of incomings I can see us leaning towards frees this summer, plenty out there, but whether any would come to us is another question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Adam Armstrong won’t be leaving - the club is not going to loan out a £15m signing less than a year after buying when the manager has decided to keep him on the bench for the majority of the season.

Little bit tired of the comparison between him and Armando Broja. Yes AB is better then AA currently but he’s played way more games, and actually aside from his purple patch over Christmas has done sod all for the past few months. Seems to be a massive love in for him and quite frankly he is worth no more than the £15m we paid for AA.

James Ward-Prowse won’t leave either, getting bored with the rumour mill and panicking from some of our fans, some people love the drama and the gossip.

In terms of incomings I can see us leaning towards frees this summer, plenty out there, but whether any would come to us is another question.

It depends if he's really unhappy, it may be a player decision as opposed to a club decision. Who knows.

From what I've seen of him, which granted is limited, he doesn't seem to have a great deal to his game. Would I like to see more? Yep, for sure. Is he going to be the fix for us and the superstar goal scorer we need? Absolutley not, he's just another average player to join the list of average players we have. We still need better than Adam Armstrong if we want to move away from the swamp of this league.

I agree on JWP, I don't think he'll go anywhere. The main reason is because there are probably no takers for the fee we'd want. There are players like Rice and Kalvin Phillips on the market this summer who clubs will probably see as priorities ahead of JWP, younger, more sense in a big investment etc. So I'm not too worried about that.

How we are able to buy players if that's the case is the question though. It's obviously daft to criticise the new ownership for a lack of ambition and investment in the team when they haven't had a window, so I will wait and see their intentions. We have supposedly scoured the 'market' for investment for many years, turning down several people with 'bigger' pockets because we wouldn't have liked it, so if this new 'investment' doesn't actually provide investment then I think we'll all wonder what on earth the point of it all is.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scummer said:

Calvin Bassey looks a useful player. Him and Salisu might make a good partnership.

Evan N'Dicka at the other end looked very good too. We were linked with him before but no chance hes leaving the Europa League winners for a bottom 6 PL side

8 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Nice potential CB pairing out of contract in the summer: Dan Axel Zagadou (22), left sided giant at Dortmund, and Niklas Stark (27), German international right sided CB at Hertha Berlin who also plays in midfield. Former Man City CB and Belgian international Jason Denayer (26) is also available on a free from Lyon.

Bit of value out there in the market, perhaps, for us paupers.

There definitely is a lot of talent available on a free this summer. I'd like us to utilise that, and then rather than signing 3 or 4 £12million players use that money to buy one top quality one, possibly Broja.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A Armstrong has potential but isn't quite good enough imo. If Broja goes and we don't sign another starter I think he'll stay because we'll only have him and Adams. If we get someone else, I can see him going.

As to Broja, the kid has been feeding off scraps. Unless he's expected to drop deep and create for himself, I'm not sure what more he can do. The team have been woeful with no creativity, and it's no surprise he's not done anything. 

JWP. You may be bored with the rumour mill, but it won't stop it. From what I understand, he's off this summer. Not sure where, but going. I've come to really like him as a player and him going will be a huge loss.

I'm with you on free transfers but JWP will yield us a massive transfer kitty, so him going is probably the only way we can overhaul our squad.

With the above in mind, Romeu probably going, Bednarek in demand, the keeper situation, it's going to be a busy summer. We need to somehow get a lot of quality into the squad if we're to have a chance next season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, egg said:

A Armstrong has potential but isn't quite good enough imo. If Broja goes and we don't sign another starter I think he'll stay because we'll only have him and Adams. If we get someone else, I can see him going.

As to Broja, the kid has been feeding off scraps. Unless he's expected to drop deep and create for himself, I'm not sure what more he can do. The team have been woeful with no creativity, and it's no surprise he's not done anything. 

JWP. You may be bored with the rumour mill, but it won't stop it. From what I understand, he's off this summer. Not sure where, but going. I've come to really like him as a player and him going will be a huge loss.

I'm with you on free transfers but JWP will yield us a massive transfer kitty, so him going is probably the only way we can overhaul our squad.

With the above in mind, Romeu probably going, Bednarek in demand, the keeper situation, it's going to be a busy summer. We need to somehow get a lot of quality into the squad if we're to have a chance next season.

JWP is only going if a club playing in Europe come knocking on our door.

That I do know!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Indeed...he'd improve Man Utd, but I don't think he'll go north. A London club for me. 

Reckon he'd jump at the chance to join Man U, why wouldn't he. Could see potentially Spurs or Arsenal interested and most likely destination.

Our owners obviously aren’t going to start throwing money around but they have had a long time to look at as most are the board are proper football people. I would imagine we have a shake up plan in place including transfer targets. I reckon we will hit the ground running. Dragan has put his reputation on the line I don’t think he will tolerate us wallowing near the relegation zone at the end of next season.

Aaron Hickey from Bologna would solve our problems at both left and right back - primarily a left back he is supposedly two footed and can play right back as well - he would provide cover for Perraud and KWP whilst Tino is out injured and would allow us to send Small out on loan for the  season.  He's supposed to be available for £15M or so.

We need extra depth and cover at both left back and right back as Small in not ready for the Premier League yet - and next summer I expect we will sell one or not both of KWP and Tino.  

If not Hickey how about Josh Doig for left back and Max Aarons for right back.