Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

4 minutes ago, igsey said:

I wonder if we'll be bringing in a Cuco Martina-like full back to cover both sides with Tino out until Christmas?

If Small has progressed, they may switch between KWP, Perraud and him. Valery and JWP are options at RB. Ramsay and Vokins will be back from loan too.

• Confused 1

Ramsay and Vokins should both be sold or loaned out again, for their own benefit.

Neither will make it in the PL, both should have decent careers - Vokins has the higher potential of the two.

IMO need to be more ruthless with these and the likes of N'Lundulu. They have already been replaced.

• Like 2

On 11/05/2022 at 13:53, Charlie Wayman said:

Having fallen for all the hype and bullshit surrounding Adams and Armstrong in their Championship days, one hopes we will not again fall into the trap of grabbing a bargain from the lower leagues.

Interesting to see what Championship (and lower) players have been bought by Prem sides (without them having been tested in the Prem before) and their relative success to date. Note that these are just those that are there (and some have a lot of football to play). I guess others will have been acquired and failed - hence no longer at the clubs, so this list shows the current `successes'.

Liverpool - Gomez

Spurs - Sessegnon

West Ham - Bowen, Benrahma, Fredericks

Leicester - Maddison, James Justin

Newcastle - Lascelles, Darlow

Villa - Matty Cash, Watkins, Ezri Konsa

Brighton - Maupay, Adam Webster

Palace - Olise, Eze

Saints - Adams, Stephens

Everton - Calvert-Lewin

Burnley - Pope, Connor Roberts, Brownhill, Charlie Taylor

Norwich - Max Aarons

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Ramsay and Vokins should both be sold or loaned out again, for their own benefit.

Neither will make it in the PL, both should have decent careers - Vokins has the higher potential of the two.

IMO need to be more ruthless with these and the likes of N'Lundulu. They have already been replaced.

I get the academy is vital to the club’s DNA and great to see the age teams flying again but it’s become an old boys club which also wastes a lot of £££ at times. Theo, Ramsay, N’Lundulu, Vokins and Valery. Only the latter really played beyond October but that’s a lot of money to waste. Tella needs to move on this summer as well, I like him but 23 now and one goal and one assist at first team level? Obafemi is an example of moving down but moving forward. Redmond and Ely need to move on as well, Theo coaching role and 2x new first team 10s. Little faith it will happen I’m afraid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I just read Newcastle are selling Jermaine Lascelles this summer. I'd have a punt on him as a bit of experience at CB. Decent player. Obviously Toon are aiming higher. 

Decent shout if a reasonable fee which Newcastle might let him go for as good servant there. Bednarek clearly unhappy so selling him could be a straight trade elsewhere financially and Salisu gets a CB partner who gives a shit. Would enable heftier investment in the 10s area although Redmond, Ely, Tella all need to move and Theo into coaching.

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I just read Newcastle are selling Jermaine Lascelles this summer. I'd have a punt on him as a bit of experience at CB. Decent player. Obviously Toon are aiming higher. 

Absolutely not!! Newcastle fan's wanted him gone before the takeover and everyone should have seen the difference in their defence since signing the mighty Dan Burn to replace him. 

Edited by Saint86

39 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Theo into coaching.

I can’t help but think he would be a terrible coach. 

He has very little technical ability (or brain) and is basically just quick. Well used to be quick, he’s not any more, hence why he doesn’t make the squad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, igsey said:

I wonder if we'll be bringing in a Cuco Martina-like full back to cover both sides with Tino out until Christmas?

Been wondering if we'll go back for Brandon Williams? He can play both sides.

Not sure how he really got on at Norwich: looked a little shaky in his early games (according to wisdom on here), then got some decent reviews in the papers I believe. Performance in poor Norwich team is maybe not the best way to judge a player though. Utd would probably want stupid money again.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

I can’t help but think he would be a terrible coach. 

He has very little technical ability (or brain) and is basically just quick. Well used to be quick, he’s not any more, hence why he doesn’t make the squad. 

He is still one of the fastest players at the club. See the recent Tella/Salisu interview 😉

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

He is still one of the fastest players at the club. See the recent Tella/Salisu interview 😉

Just even more shit then. In fairness, he plays in a role which requires a degree of technical ability and you need to be decent on the ball. He’s a kick and run merchant, so doesn’t suit that at all. 

I’ve always thought he’d be better suited to us up top next to Adams. Surely would have been a better option than Long 

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

Just even more shit then. In fairness, he plays in a role which requires a degree of technical ability and you need to be decent on the ball. He’s a kick and run merchant, so doesn’t suit that at all. 

I’ve always thought he’d be better suited to us up top next to Adams. Surely would have been a better option than Long 

Its not like his finishing is any worse than our other strikers in fairness... 🤣

He's sadly another one of those players ruined by Wenger and the big club move. Went there too young, barely played at the start, had the whoe england hype/fiasco, and then a manager that tried to turn him into something he wasn't. He should have stayed a striker.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Its not like his finishing is any worse than our other strikers in fairness... 🤣

He's sadly another one of those players ruined by Wenger and the big club move. Went there too young, barely played at the start, had the whoe england hype/fiasco, and then a manager that tried to turn him into something he wasn't. He should have stayed a striker.

Think that serious injury he got against Spurs messed him up. Lost the extra yard of pace and was never really the same after that.

Doesn't have the other abilities to influence games at the top level without it.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

An interesting RB option we may go for...

Ryan Fredericks, out of contract at WHU. We were very keen when he was at Fulham.

Could be a decent freebie to add some experienced depth.

I feel like he’s been linked for several seasons.

5 hours ago, Suhari said:

Been wondering if we'll go back for Brandon Williams? He can play both sides.

Not sure how he really got on at Norwich: looked a little shaky in his early games (according to wisdom on here), then got some decent reviews in the papers I believe. Performance in poor Norwich team is maybe not the best way to judge a player though. Utd would probably want stupid money again.

he looked poor, exposed and didn't improve them as a side. At United he looked a good prospect IMO and I thought a loan to us made a lot of sense. He marauded down the left and his ability to put in a devilish cross using his left, despite being right footed, suggested he was a talent.  At Norwich it was more about poor positional play, a lack of cutting edge pace and a failure to shutdown opposing wingers. He's still young and players like Bertrand had pretty average loan spells, so he might still be worth looking at - especially on a loan basis, although the wages were hefty as I recall.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

An interesting RB option we may go for...

Ryan Fredericks, out of contract at WHU. We were very keen when he was at Fulham.

Could be a decent freebie to add some experienced depth.

Looked good in the Championship, but not sure he has excelled at the level above. At 29 he ain't getting better and he ain't going to make us money by improving and selling - so doesn't fit the business model.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Think that serious injury he got against Spurs messed him up. Lost the extra yard of pace and was never really the same after that.

Doesn't have the other abilities to influence games at the top level without it.

this. He looked slower this season than last though. Maybe him just getting up and down the line last season didn't expose that lack of blistering pace like it has this season when he got opportunities further forward. Not sure I can see him getting `it' back next season either, sadly.

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Looked good in the Championship, but not sure he has excelled at the level above. At 29 he ain't getting better and he ain't going to make us money by improving and selling - so doesn't fit the business model.

In fairness we're only looking for backup to KWP and a stopgap till Tino is fit again. Signing a more experienced player on a one year deal might make sense.

35 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

In fairness we're only looking for backup to KWP and a stopgap till Tino is fit again. Signing a more experienced player on a one year deal might make sense.

fair point. Not sure players at his level are keen to sign one year deals. It's a tricky situation. It would be nice to loan someone even better, but easier said than done. We feel wafer thin at full back, unless you have any confidence in Valery.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Still wouldn’t mind us having a look at Tanganga. Can play anywhere across the back 4 (probably not a great wingback tho, that being said). 

Suits our model of ‘good player but not quite good enough for big 6, yet) and has the added benefit of being Young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. 

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Seem to be, quite suddenly, a lot of names being bandied about in the press who we are supposedly interested in (mostly with caveats). Is it season ticket renewal time?

It’s the summer transfer window, showtime for agents and journalists alike. Is this news to you?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

Seem to be, quite suddenly, a lot of names being bandied about in the press who we are supposedly interested in (mostly with caveats). Is it season ticket renewal time?

We have this discussion most summers. 

Which do you think is more likely. Agents giving a `heads up' to a journalist, helping give his client exposure and the journalist gets a story...or, Saints feeding stories of their interest in a range of players to a journalist to help sell season tickets? 

Has a single fan ever bought a season ticket because he thinks the club are being active in the transfer market? Equally, has any fan not bought a season ticket because he thought the cub wasn't going to be active?

My guess, is that the club keeps its transfer business very close to its chest, so as not to draw attention that effect a deal going through...and...doesn't waste its time feeding false stories to the press to make it look like it being busy. 

15 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Be decent alongside Salisu. Not the greatest in the world but a step up from what we’ve got and a good bit of experience 

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

Be decent alongside Salisu. Not the greatest in the world but a step up from what we’ve got and a good bit of experience 

I'd rather have Bednarek. Just because you want him upgraded, doesn't mean any old other bottom half quality centre back is an improvement. Lacelles is very limited!

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Yeah I think he could a very good signing (dependent on the fee). Add some leadership at the back.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Saint86 said:

He may be, but what I have noticed is he has lost the initial burst of pace, which is what happens when you get older. In his case too old to be effective at his game, he doesn’t have much else in his locker to be of value in any other role. And no to coaching, we owe him absolutely nothing, that would be yet another sentimental decision.

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think it says something about how low expectations have fallen that in recent days I’ve seen people suggest we keep Shane Long and sign Jeff Schlupp and Jamaal Lascelles.

Lacelles was part of my champions league winning Eastleigh team on FM2013 sunshine 

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'd rather have Bednarek.

Lascelles doesn't feel like a step up to me either. He is not quicker and is uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, which is a major problem. He might be better in the air, maybe. Lascelles has been Newcastke skipper, so obviously has leadership qualities, but I am not sure you will find many Newcastle fans thinking he can help them get to the promise land. I suspect that if we had watched him play for Saints every week, we'd be wanting to upgrade from him this summer.

Edited by Chez

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I don’t think Lacelles is a brilliant player, but he’s clearly a leader and better than Bednarek. I’d take him. 

Exactly, it’s that sort of character we need. I’d still love us to get Tarkowski but don’t think we will or would 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing 'good characters' is what lumbered Saints with Walcott on a contract until 2023!

We could do a lot better than Lacelles if we want to upgrade on Bednarek!

We need leaders and winners, that wasn’t the reason we signed walcott

yet again you prove your understanding of sport is restricted to computer games 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

We need leaders and winners, that wasn’t the reason we signed walcott

yet again you prove your understanding of sport is restricted to computer games 

1) What makes you think Lacelles is a good leader? Or even a better leader than Bednarek? 

2) What makes you think Lacelles is a 'winner'?

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) What makes you think Lacelles is a good leader? Or even a better leader than Bednarek? 

2) What makes you think Lacelles is a 'winner'?

What makes you think Bednarek is better?

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

What makes you think Bednarek is better?

Better at what?

Being a leader? I did not say he was. But I also did not say he wasn't. I simply don't know, and wonder how you might?

If you mean as a player, then from watching them both and their match stats.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Better at what?

Being a leader? I did not say he was. But I also did not say he wasn't. I simply don't know, and wonder how you might?

If you mean as a player, then from watching them both and their match stats.

In my original post on this thread you responded with you’d prefer Bedenark. So unless you’d prefer a player that is worse, then you must think Bednarek is better, it’s not hard. 

• Like 1