Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

12 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ornstein also says Benfica looking at him to replace Darwin Nunez, too.

Quick Google on him and articles linking him with Bayern and Dortmund so prospects of us signing him are slim to non-existent in my view.

(As you'd expect Newcastle and West Ham also mentioned).

31 minutes ago, Dman said:

That doesn’t fit the narrative though mate. We’re lucky to stay up. 

It's not all about squad cost though, and some of the figures in that graph aren't up to date because they are from latest published accounts and not all teams release them at the same time.

To give a fair reflection you need to look at wages too.

Considering both graphs you can see Brentford, Brighton and West Ham are over performing, while Everton and maybe Leicester are underperforming and the rest are about average.

There's a link to another site in that thread which looks more up to date. It includes the top 5 European leagues. Funny to see Everton's squad cost more to assemble than Bayern Munich.

https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp346/en/

Also Man Utd are massively shit for the money spent, but I guess that was obvious!

Edited by The Cat
Added in Man Utd

14 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

All that says is that we're a mid-table side, and funnily enough that's exactly where we've finished - albeit in the lower portion of mid-table. We're only talking two wins difference from being 10th.

The wage table posted above is more reflective in my opinion, but again that just shows we're a mid-table team.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Cat said:

It's not all about squad cost though, and some of the figures in that graph aren't up to date because they are from latest published accounts and not all teams release them at the same time.

Considering both graphs you can see Brentford, Brighton and West Ham are over performing, while Everton and maybe Leicester are underperforming and the rest are about average.

There's a link to another site in that thread which looks more up to date. It includes the top 5 European leagues. Funny to see Everton's squad cost more to assemble than Bayern Munich.

Also Man Utd are massively shit for the money spent, but I guess that was obvious!

Net spend (maybe over a three or four season period) would be better than just spend and then combine that with wages over that time period and that would give a pretty fair reflection of expected league position.

Knowing the current debt (minus monies in bank) is also worth knowing. Its all very well spending these funds, but some clubs have to work to an actual budget and can't just build up the debt level. 

City, West Ham and Brighton (maybe an owner paying for it doesn't count?) got a pretty free ride when it comes the cost of the stadium.

6 hours ago, The Cat said:

Interesting. Our high wage bill is often given as the reason why we have to sell to buy. It seems that actually in reality it isn't that high at all with 4 of the 6 clubs below us being new to the premier league in the last two seasons and Burnley you'd expect to have a smaller bill than us. 

Fleeting thought from last night's Arsenal result - that it makes our prospect of losing JWP more likely, given his CL Spurs suitors might want to pick him off. And will have the cash now. Anyone else think so? Might need to watch him closely at end of tonight's match for any 'goodbye' waving....

Bloody hate Spurs. That song. Aargh

😉

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Realistically, how much do folks think we will have to spend this summer - before any player sales are factored in? 

Hard to say, we made £30m profit last season that we didn't spend and must have reduced the wage bill a fair bit, but we have the big loan that needs paying off too. Presumably with fans back we will have a bit more to play with than we had last season too.

The rumours are getting stronger that we're signing Fiorentina reserve goalkeeper, Dragowski. This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as I've watched most of Fiorentina's games this season on BT Sport and even their first choice goalkeeper is not very good and Dragowski has picked up 2 red cards in the 9 first team games he has appeared in this season. He's also very injury-prone and has long-term knee problems. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Interesting. Our high wage bill is often given as the reason why we have to sell to buy. It seems that actually in reality it isn't that high at all with 4 of the 6 clubs below us being new to the premier league in the last two seasons and Burnley you'd expect to have a smaller bill than us. 

Isn't high in relation to other Prem sides, but what are their incomings, how much do their owners give/lend them and how much debt are they carrying?

We lost about £75m over the last two years - and that's with our low net transfer spend and `low' wage bill. Very little player sales in that time (those figures doesn't include last summer's round of sales/buys). Of course the COVID issues played a major role too.

It will be interesting to see how the next set of accounts look and whether we balanced the books with the sales/buys made last summer.

1 hour ago, igsey said:

Hard to say, we made £30m profit last season that we didn't spend and must have reduced the wage bill a fair bit, but we have the big loan that needs paying off too. Presumably with fans back we will have a bit more to play with than we had last season too.

We made £30m profit? Do you mean in player sales over the summer or in general for 2020/21?

The 2021 accounts suggest a £14m loss, all in.

24 minutes ago, Streaky said:

40 to 50m

If we spend that kind of money early on in the window, then it would point to someone like Salisu going to Newcastle for £40m or suchlike (as was reported he was going in January) later on in the window to balance the books. I'd be very surprised if we spent that without any sales. You never know though. 

I would be interested to know how much people think we will spend this summer and on how many players. I can’t really see this summer being much different than the last ones. They’ve stated the same business model is in place when they took over.  Ralph is still in charge so will be similar players to what we have recruited recently. Most likely youngsters from bigger clubs. Out of contract GK. the most important info will be, is our squad better than 3 others for another year of fighting to stay in the super premier league 

10 minutes ago, saint michael said:

I would be interested to know how much people think we will spend this summer and on how many players. I can’t really see this summer being much different than the last ones. They’ve stated the same business model is in place when they took over.  Ralph is still in charge so will be similar players to what we have recruited recently. Most likely youngsters from bigger clubs. Out of contract GK. the most important info will be, is our squad better than 3 others for another year of fighting to stay in the super premier league 

I dunno I think new owners said that resources will be more available than previously. 

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

If we spend that kind of money early on in the window, then it would point to someone like Salisu going to Newcastle for £40m or suchlike (as was reported he was going in January) later on in the window to balance the books. I'd be very surprised if we spent that without any sales. You never know though. 

I cant see it. £40m isnt much for most other clubs but for some reason we've always had to sell to buy players. From the days of Southampton Leisure Holdings, Southampton Leibherr Holdings then Shanghai Leibherr Holdings our fans seem to think that is the only way for us to survive. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

we seem to be the only non-yo yo prem team that has to sell big to spend modestly

19 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I just feel like that is skewed by the likes of West Ham spending £85m on Felipe Anderson and Haller combined and then selling these players on, and perhaps not including their recent buys such as Zouma/Vlasic etc so none of those players sit on their books on balance sheet date. 

However, positioning does look about right, but as others say wages is probably the better indicator to where a club should be, as well as net spend. 

1 hour ago, Wiggles31 said:

I dunno I think new owners said that resources will be more available than previously. 

I think fans are going to have a big shock .. i doubt much will change.. we still have to sell to buy ..I reckon more tino like deals we can see coming in .. probably non prem tested gambles are most likely 

41 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

I think fans are going to have a big shock .. i doubt much will change.. we still have to sell to buy ..I reckon more tino like deals we can see coming in .. probably non prem tested gambles are most likely 

I really don't think anyone will be shocked by that...

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I cant see it. £40m isnt much for most other clubs but for some reason we've always had to sell to buy players. From the days of Southampton Leisure Holdings, Southampton Leibherr Holdings then Shanghai Leibherr Holdings our fans seem to think that is the only way for us to survive. 

What is the alternative? 

16 minutes ago, StDunko said:

I really don't think anyone will be shocked by that...

I wont be. That's exactly how I see the summer and the future panning out under the current owner, which is absolutely fine. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

We made £30m profit? Do you mean in player sales over the summer or in general for 2020/21?

The 2021 accounts suggest a £14m loss, all in.

Apologies, I misremembered, it's £15m(ish) from player trading. We sold Ings, Vestergaard, Gunn, Lemina and Obafemi for around £55m and bought Armstrong, Perraud, Lyanco and Livramento for around £40m.

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

I think there will be a ever such slight bit more of ambition in the purchases (clutching at straws). Selling players ain’t gunna change. Say goodbye to JWP this summer. 

• Like 1

Tonight was an admission, in my eyes, that we have a terrible bunch of football players who cannot compete against the best. So we have to play a way to prevent damage limitation. If that doesn't prompt us to invest then there is just no point anymore.

• Like 2

Switched off the Liverpool game with twenty minutes to go. Moved onto Forest v Sheffield Utd play off game.

Keinan Davis of Forest (loan from Villa), wow he’s stocky, strong, quick. Reminds me of Antonio when he joined as a youngster ten or so years ago!

As a side note there is so much fight in these two teams, the speed of this game is fantastic to watch. No tippy tappy bullshit.

Oh and having watched pens, BUY BRICE SAMBA (Forest keeper)

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Sadly I suspect this is the reality, I’m not sure the new owners can see the depth of issues and that Semmens is effective at creating smokescreens. The run and extent of poor form should be obvious that adding a couple of 19 year Man City reserves earlier in the window without selling some more of our own tat isn’t the answer but I still don’t think the penny has dropped. 2014 was a near miracle window but the club had big receipts from player trading. FFP allows a hefty summer once for the club, but it’s whether they want to do it to stabilise the club and add future value to get the big sales going again to re-invest in the next crop aka Leicester. And even then it only takes a Vestergaard to fuck it up.

9 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Sadly I suspect this is the reality, I’m not sure the new owners can see the depth of issues and that Semmens is effective at creating smokescreens. The run and extent of poor form should be obvious that adding a couple of 19 year Man City reserves earlier in the window without selling some more of our own tat isn’t the answer but I still don’t think the penny has dropped. 2014 was a near miracle window but the club had big receipts from player trading. FFP allows a hefty summer once for the club, but it’s whether they want to do it to stabilise the club and add future value to get the big sales going again to re-invest in the next crop aka Leicester. And even then it only takes a Vestergaard to fuck it up.

Scouting needs to be spot on for clubs like us, we were saddled with FFP because we filled the squad up with failed big signings on shit wages, so we couldn't ever truly fix those mistakes, we kept either having to 'try' to get them to work or shift them out on loan every year. We haven't seen the back of that just yet, but we're getting there.

I have hope that our scouting is better, but we need to stop with the ''we want to find the next tino'' bollocks, as that is not a basis of a transfer plan for a club that only has a handful of PL players as it is.

Edited by S-Clarke

As ever, a big summer coming up. Need to get the majority right and bring in at least 3 that go straight into the team at GK, CB and striker.

Otherwise a poor start will do for Ralph and it could be a very tough season.

Still carrying too many who aren't good enough, can we find buyers for the likes of Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, Walcott, Elyounoussi and Djenepo?

Will anyone put up the cash for JWP or KWP?

Lots of things to happen.

Whatever peoples thoughts on them, Forster and Broja have been first choice for a large chunk of the season and neither will likely be here next season. We are thus weaker before we start. We need to get two signings right to avoid going backwards.

Reserve keepers apart, only Long is out of contract -  so this massive overhaul is only going to be possible if we offload our unwanted players - but who is going to take them off our hands? No one, especially at the start of the window. Maybe a few go out on loan, with us paying a percentage of their wages. 

There will be movement. I suspect Salisu will go and that will give us some cash to play with, but that will be three first choice players to replace just to stand still. 

Maybe tonight is not the night for me to be mulling this over. Depressing stuff on the pitch never mind off it. Roll on the summer.