Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Blackmore is sometimes a little guilty of trying to placate and be mates with those at the club. He is first and foremost a reporter.

Agreed. Strikes me as someone who thinks he needs to keep the club onside to keep having access to the players etc. Many a time he has intimated at asking Ralph a certain question, only then to not ask it during an interview.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agreed. Strikes me as someone who thinks he needs to keep the club onside to keep having access to the players etc. Many a time he has intimated at asking Ralph a certain question, only then to not ask it during an interview.

Exactly this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Probably true unfortunately. He'll have seen how the Echo suffered when Cortese banned them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

100% agree.

I worry that Tarkowski in particular will have far better suitors, sadly.

I expect they both will but we should be all over it. Oh to have a goalkeeper that can make saves and a defender that can defend 

Liverpool

City

Utd

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

will all automatically be above us and spend more. 

Wet Spam

Newcastle 

Leicester 

Villa

Everton (probably)

will all definitely spend more. 

Brighton

Palace

Leicester 

will most likely spend more. 

Thats 14 teams who will be better than they are now. 

Fulham, Bournemouth and whoever else comes up will likely spend quite a bit. 

That leaves Leeds and Brentford. The former HAVE to spend. The latter are already better and will likely be better next season.

All this highlights just how bad we are and how much we need to spend or more to the point that we need at least 4 or 5 players who are already better than we have. This is likely to cost upwards of 70/80m if one or two are Tino types. 

We also need a manager. 

Needs to be a very busy summer otherwise we are very likely to go down. 

Right now, if someone offers 60/70m for JWP I'd take it😂😂

Depressing last 10 games. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Now can we go and sign Nick Pope and James Tarkowski PLEASE. 

would fix a lot of our issues 

Tarkowski is off to West Ham I think, all but done bar the announcement from what I've read.

Burnley want £40m for Pope. If we spend that much on a single player then I'll eat my hat, that's all we usually spend in the entire window.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Burnley want £40m for Pope. If we spend that much on a single player then I'll eat my hat, that's all we usually spend in the entire window.

What they say they want initially and what they'd be willing to accept given the financial mess they appear to be in are very different things!

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

What they say they want initially and what they'd be willing to accept given the financial mess they appear to be in are very different things!

Are you going to bother responding to the other points made, regarding you running away when your mistakes are pointed out?

• Like 2

From the horses mouth...

“Before the season, a lot of people had us on the list for being a relegated team, but if you want to make the next step you have to change a lot of things next summer and that is what we will do.

“We must come to the point that we concede less goals, definitely. We will have some new players in the defence what we are looking at and then we will hopefully be more compact next season.”

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I've never claimed to be infallible. 

I'm not a god...

python monty GIF

You appear to be imply the existence of something you once described as a false deity 🤔

Edited by Turkish

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From the horses mouth...

“Before the season, a lot of people had us on the list for being a relegated team, but if you want to make the next step you have to change a lot of things next summer and that is what we will do.

“We must come to the point that we concede less goals, definitely. We will have some new players in the defence what we are looking at and then we will hopefully be more compact next season.”

Where's that from?

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From the horses mouth...

Promising I suppose that he recognises a major part of our problem. It’s not just the defence though. We definitely lack decent defenders, we also lack a depth of defensive midfielders (Romeu is great when on it, awful when off it), and in McCarthy a keeper not good enough for a starting spot. A decent defensive midfield setup also allows us options of playing a strong 3 in the centre and mixing options up, as we weren’t able to do in the calamitous away performance to Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Promising I suppose that he recognises a major part of our problem. It’s not just the defence though. We definitely lack decent defenders, we also lack a depth of defensive midfielders (Romeu is great when on it, awful when off it), and in McCarthy a keeper not good enough for a starting spot. A decent defensive midfield setup also allows us options of playing a strong 3 in the centre and mixing options up, as we weren’t able to do in the calamitous away performance to Liverpool.

I agree, Romeu's legs are going now and we need some freshening up in there. Keep Romeu around for rotation, but we need better in there (that's how you improve a squad, saints - you evolve positions)

I think we'll see a lot of changes in attack too, we have to. Long will go, Broja has gone, Redmond, Moussa, Theo up for sale. That potentially leaves us with Adams, Armstrong, Armstrong S, Tella and Ely in the attack. Down before a ball is kicked.

I guess N'Lundulu will be back though...🙃

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He said the same thing virtually word for word at the end of last season. Did the defence improve? I guess we went from 68 goals conceded to 67, if you can call that progress.

Maybe the individual defenders are less of a problem than a manager who has two 9-0s on his record and hasn't got a fucking clue how to set up a defence. Just a thought.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

He said the same thing virtually word for word at the end of last season. Did the defence improve? I guess we went from 68 goals conceded to 67, if you can call that progress.

Maybe the individual defenders are less of a problem than a manager who has two 9-0s on his record and hasn't got a fucking clue how to set up a defence. Just a thought.

We improved full back, that's pretty much it. We went with Stephens, Bednarek and hoped that Salisu would step up. He did, but he's young and will have moments where he needs some quality to see him through. He had Bednarek.

Goalkeeper continues to be an issue as well. Need to rip the heart of the defense and GK out if we are really to improve defensively.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Small increments of improvement. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step. If we concede one less goal a season every season by 2089 we’ll be the first team to keep a clean sheet in every game 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Small increments of improvement. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step. If we concede one less goal a season every season by 2089 we’ll be the first team to keep a clean sheet in every game 

Dave Brailsford’s marginal gains are a worldwide phenomenon. Good business practise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Liverpool

City

Utd

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

will all automatically be above us and spend more. 

Wet Spam

Newcastle 

Leicester 

Villa

Everton (probably)

will all definitely spend more. 

Brighton

Palace

Leicester 

will most likely spend more. 

Thats 14 teams who will be better than they are now. 

Fulham, Bournemouth and whoever else comes up will likely spend quite a bit. 

That leaves Leeds and Brentford. The former HAVE to spend. The latter are already better and will likely be better next season.

All this highlights just how bad we are and how much we need to spend or more to the point that we need at least 4 or 5 players who are already better than we have. This is likely to cost upwards of 70/80m if one or two are Tino types. 

We also need a manager. 

Needs to be a very busy summer otherwise we are very likely to go down. 

Right now, if someone offers 60/70m for JWP I'd take it😂😂

Depressing last 10 games. 

And there was I feeling quite depressed re our prospects for next season……

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree, Romeu's legs are going now and we need some freshening up in there. Keep Romeu around for rotation, but we need better in there (that's how you improve a squad, saints - you evolve positions)

I'm not against having more options there, but it's just as likely that Romeu is knackered after a long season of Ralph-ball

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Dave Brailsford’s marginal gains are a worldwide phenomenon. Good business practise.

Marginal gains. Another book on the subject is the compound effect. Put simply improving by tiny amounts every day leads to huge improvement over an extended period. Look at ward Prowse, he used to hit every free kick exactly one foot over the angle, over the years he reduced that by 3 inches a season to now be able to get most on target. If Stephens, Lyanco and Bednarek aren’t looking at that for inspiration then I don’t know what’s wrong with them

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, The Fat Controller said:

We need an older experienced pro in the midfield

personally if we could afford him then Juan Mata could fit the bill - ok he’s 34 but still could do a job for us

Nice idea but he wouldn't last 45 minutes in Ralphs headless chicken pressing game.

On the striker front, what do people think of Dennis from Watford? - seemed pretty decent this season? Although I just googled it and looks like West Ham might be in for him

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Nice idea but he wouldn't last 45 minutes in Ralphs headless chicken pressing game.

On the striker front, what do people think of Dennis from Watford? - seemed pretty decent this season? Although I just googled it and looks like West Ham might be in for him

If we were to get anyone from Watford I'd go for Ismala Sarr. He's had injury troubles which may make him cheaper, but if you can keep him fit he's a game changer. And all importantly still young enough to have significant re-sale value.

1 hour ago, The Fat Controller said:

We need an older experienced pro in the midfield

personally if we could afford him then Juan Mata could fit the bill - ok he’s 34 but still could do a job for us

543 Premier League appearances between JWP and Romeu.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If we were to get anyone from Watford I'd go for Ismala Sarr. He's had injury troubles which may make him cheaper, but if you can keep him fit he's a game changer. And all importantly still young enough to have significant re-sale value.

Agreed good player. Dennis would be okay as well. 10 goals this season in a crap team. Cornet from Burnley would fit in as well i think 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed good player. Dennis would be okay as well. 10 goals this season in a crap team. Cornet from Burnley would fit in as well i think 

I don't mind Cornet, has a bit of pace and power and can play all across the front. £17m we could get him for. He hasn't had a great second half though.

There are 1 or 2 players in those relegated sides who could improve us (Apart from Norwich), which probably says a lot about our bunch.

Edited by S-Clarke

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't mind Cornet, has a bit of pace and power and can play all across the front. £17m we could get him for. He hasn't had a great second half though.

He sounds perfect 😄

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Never realistic, IMO.  Too many teams can blow us away.

• Like 1

Not so much Everything Must Go as Everything Can Go.

We may accept decent bids for nearly anyone in our squad, especially if it helps fund a restructure.

We’ve a number of players who are entering their last year. Along with them is Salisu who I think we’d have been looking to extend or “show the merits of the Southampton Pathway” by getting a fee for.

We also have a number of back ups who either not been convincing enough to nail down a first team place or with the likes of Bednarek and A Armstrong who we & they might be looking to move on for the benefits of both parties.

Then we have the fringe players, like any squad. Players who don't really look likely to get a lot of first team football with us. Those returning from loan would have a big step up to make, and may see themselves back out next year too, unless we get a fee.

Players who we could get decent funds for:
James Ward-Prowse (2026. who may jump to a team who can get him playing in Europe)
Kyle Walker-Peters (2025)

And on a level down,

Stuart Armstrong (2024)
Ché Adams (2024)
Tino Livramento  (2026 injured so will be staying.)
Romain Perraud (2025)

Contracts where we need to capitalise on or make the decision to extend.
Mohammed Salisu (2024)
Oriol Romeu (2023)
Mohamed Elyounoussi (2023)
Moussa Djénépo (2023)
Nathan Redmond (2023)
Theo Walcott (2023)

Players who are seen more as back up/ time to move on
Jack Stephens (?)
Alex McCarthy* (2024)
Jan Bednarek (2025, especially if ducking Saints duty due to upcoming international games.)
Adam Armstrong (2025. May be looking for a fresh start, after being dropped for Long and apparently not taking it well)
Lynaco Vojnovic (2025)
Nathan Tella (2025)

Players who’ve not found their best position:
Ibrahima Diallo (2024, He’s possibly getting a first team place if JWP goes.)

Fringe Players/ Returning from loan
Kayne Ramsay (2023)
Yan Valery (2023)
Will Smallbone (2024)
Dan Nlundulu (2024)
Jake Vokins (2024)
Thierry Small (2024)
Dynel Simeu (2024)
Will Ferry (2024)
Kazeem Olaigbe (2024)

Players Who have Gone/ 2022 Contract Expiry
Fraser Forster
Harry Lewis
Armando Broja
Willy Caballero
Kgaogelo Chauke
Shane Long

• Like 1

14 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Hahaahahhaha