Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

If we are after a centre back Calvin Bassey at Rangers was excellent in their Europa cup final and again today. Nigeria international and at 22 has those all important qualities of being young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Vast majority of this bi annual thread concerns the outgoings rather than recruitment,deadwood shifting,half decent players leaving,sod all ever changes. And thereby lies the inertia that's ingrained in this club.

Indeed. We’ve been “shifting the deadwood” for about 5 years now. We’ve got a couple of players drawing a wage and not doing much like most clubs but the days of us loaning out players we can’t give away whilst paying most of their wages appear to be over. Some of what we’ve got might not be the best, but at least they’re here and something this season as opposed to playing for other clubs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

He'll do. Why they getting rid?

Massively overrated.  He gets beaten at the near post a lot. I think thats a trait that some fans on here don't appreciate.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Massively overrated.  He gets beaten at the near post a lot. I think thats a trait that some fans on here don't appreciate.

I think football fans in general struggle with the concept that a goal can go in at the near post and it NOT be the goalies fault.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's been a good keeper until this season when he's dropped off a fair bit. Probably age catching up with him.

Has the ability to pull of ridiculous saves but more and more mistakes have been creeping in.

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Indeed. We’ve been “shifting the deadwood” for about 5 years now. We’ve got a couple of players drawing a wage and not doing much like most clubs but the days of us loaning out players we can’t give away whilst paying most of their wages appear to be over. Some of what we’ve got might not be the best, but at least they’re here and something this season as opposed to playing for other clubs. 

if you keeping signing players that don't cut it...Lemina, Hoet, Carrillo...Vestegaard, Elyounossi, Gunn....Djenpo, Diallo, Walcott...then you are always trying to shift deadwood. That's one of the biggest problems with the Prem and the monstrous wages you have to pay. Make a mistake with a signing and you live with it...until the contract ends four years later.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Again with the near post thing :mcinnes:

Yep. If you are beaten near post you should be thrown to the wolves. Apparently.

I should clarify that it's not why I don't rate him as highly as others.

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

if you keeping signing players that don't cut it...Lemina, Hoet, Carrillo...Vestegaard, Elyounossi, Gunn....Djenpo, Diallo, Walcott...then you are always trying to shift deadwood. That's one of the biggest problems with the Prem and the monstrous wages you have to pay. Make a mistake with a signing and you live with it...until the contract ends four years later.

5 of those have gone. Elyanoussi has done alright this season, he’s not brilliant but he’s scored a few. Diallo is still young, bit too early to write him off. Same with Djenepo looked to have something when he joined but another one that’s regressed. Why is that?

Walcott well, yeah. Can’t help but think that was a signing based on sentiment rather than reality and the glorious return of an academy product.

I wouldnt say Diallo and Elyanoussi are dead wood, there just fairly average players on fair average premier league wages signed for average PL fees. We’ve been desperate to get Forster off the wage bill for years but now he’s had half a season of being vaguely competent everyone is up in arms we’re letting him go and keeping McCarthy. The whole goalkeeping situation is very odd. Personally I’d be happy to get rid of both of them and bring in one first choice and a YHGTI backup but the club seem to have other ideas. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Chez said:

If both FF and McCarthy were departing, then maybe one of the two incoming could be a 30 year old, but can't see us doing so now. It just wouldn't follow the business model the management want to follow.

I wonder if we're still interested in Toby Savin - a replacement 'Harry Lewis-esque" third keeper that we could mold into first team football. Just turned 21, 6'4''  with nearly 80 appearances already for Accrington Stanley. Then have a loan keeper as our 2 (Bazunu) to McCarthy. It would be nice if we could have a 2nd and 3rd keeper that we could potentially rely on should McCarthy have his period of poor performances.

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I wonder if we're still interested in Toby Savin - a replacement 'Harry Lewis-esque" third keeper that we could mold into first team football. Just turned 21, 6'4''  with nearly 80 appearances already for Accrington Stanley. Then have a loan keeper as our 2 (Bazunu) to McCarthy. It would be nice if we could have a 2nd and 3rd keeper that we could potentially rely on should McCarthy have his period of poor performances.

If we recruit based around the fact that McCarthy is our starting keeper for next season then it won’t be a good window IMO.

I haven’t seen Bazunu play, I know Pompey fans rate him but some of the comments I’ve seen from them suggest his next step should be a Championship loan, they’ve said he’s good but still much to learn. I wouldn’t have thought he’d get loaned out to be a designated number two to Alex McCarthy, I’d imagine City would seek some sort of ambition for the loan club to make him a number one so he gets plenty of game time. We’ll see though.

Just now, The Kraken said:

If we recruit based around the fact that McCarthy is our starting keeper for next season then it won’t be a good window IMO.

I haven’t seen Bazunu play, I know Pompey fans rate him but some of the comments I’ve seen from them suggest his next step should be a Championship loan, they’ve said he’s good but still much to learn. I wouldn’t have thought he’d get loaned out to be a designated number two to Alex McCarthy, I’d imagine City would seek some sort of ambition for the loan club to make him a number one so he gets plenty of game time. We’ll see though.

Priority needs to be an experienced good glovesman. This obsession with signing yoof is starting to piss me off 

• Like 6

Just now, Turkish said:

Priority needs to be an experienced good glovesman. This obsession with signing yoof is starting to piss me off 

Very much agree. It’s very rare that teenage glovesmen get thrown into regular premier league first team action. I like the idea that we’ll scout around for “the next Tino” from the top sides, there’s an awful lot of talent that City, Liverpool and Chelsea in particular send out on loan. It can’t be the cornerstone of our recruitment policy though, it needs to be secondary to signing solid pros with a bit of experience to them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The last time I saw Gunn, he was trying to adopt De Gea facial hair. The thought crossed my mind that this had more to do with his signing than actual ability.

When it comes to our 'keeper, let's try to get in someone who can do the job now, since that's what we actually need, rather than a wishful punt (much like what we have in goal already do).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Very much agree. It’s very rare that teenage glovesmen get thrown into regular premier league first team action. I like the idea that we’ll scout around for “the next Tino” from the top sides, there’s an awful lot of talent that City, Liverpool and Chelsea in particular send out on loan. It can’t be the cornerstone of our recruitment policy though, it needs to be secondary to signing solid pros with a bit of experience to them.

Absolutely. Sign a top young player from another club, brilliant, bring it on. Give me two or three of them a season. But only if we also bring in players who can come in and do a job straight away as well. We can’t expect to rely on Tino and others similar to him to walk into our first team having never kicked a ball in the premier league before and be good consistent premier league players. In fact it’s wrong of us to even put them in that position 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We are dismissing today's links as utter bollocks right? 😀 The next Theo Walcott.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/05/21/southampton-planning-sensational-swoop-for-real-madrid-star/

Not a lot of meat on that article! But welcome home Gareth nonetheless….

I thought Spurs might be in the box seat for him, but if they keep their front three of Kane, Son, Kulusevski, that’s already pretty decent. Bale was half a starter half a sub when he was there before so maybe that’s in the offing, just not sure I see it this time round.

Any club would at best basically be buying a player up to November, for World Cup prep (and that’s if Wales even make it). If Wales don’t qualify it becomes a less appealing deal.

I’d have him in an absolute heartbeat though if his wages were anywhere near being in our budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Elyanoussi has done alright this season, he’s not brilliant but he’s scored a few. Diallo is still young, bit too early to write him off. Same with Djenepo looked to have something when he joined but another one that’s regressed. Why is that?

I've never had an issue with Ely. He is what he is. Neat and tidy, no pace, plays well when the side plays well, offers nothing when we don't. 

Maybe you are right about Diallo. He is still young, but bloody hell he really hasn't improved at all since he was here (is he not hungry?). Still lightweight and doesn't know how to play the position. 

Not sure Djenepo has ever been all that. His control of the football has been suspect since day one. He shows flashes of talent and every now and then he might try to beat a man, but is he going to become a Mane mark II for us next season? Boy do we need someone that is going to causes defences a problem next season.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've never had an issue with Ely. He is what he is. Neat and tidy, no pace, plays well when the side plays well, offers nothing when we don't. 

Maybe you are right about Diallo. He is still young, but bloody hell he really hasn't improved at all since he was here (is he not hungry?). Still lightweight and doesn't know how to play the position. 

Not sure Djenepo has ever been all that. His control of the football has been suspect since day one. He shows flashes of talent and every now and then he might try to beat a man, but is he going to become a Mane mark II for us next season? Boy do we need someone that is going to causes defences a problem next season.

When Djenepo first joined he scored great goals away at Sheffield United and Brighton and we thought we may have the new Mane. Looked to be the classic flair player, capable of being able to win us games but also lose us them, Sadly that was as good as it got, he always seems unsure himself what he’s going to do next. These days he’s disappeared completely, so probably best for everyone he moves on. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I can see Cabellero getting a contract and then the other keeper `has' to be young to at least give us a chance of selling one keeper on for profit. 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When Djenepo first joined he scored great goals away at Sheffield United and Brighton and we thought we may have the new Mane. Looked to be the classic flair player, capable of being able to win us games but also lose us them, Sadly that was as good as it got, he always seems unsure himself what he’s going to do next. These days he’s disappeared completely, so probably best for everyone he moves on. 

He gets the ball stuck under his feet a lot these days. Its like he hasn't touched a ball at all for six months at all. I don't understand how that can be. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

He gets the ball stuck under his feet a lot these days. Its like he hasn't touched a ball at all for six months at all. I don't understand how that can be. 

He reminds of watching kids trying new skills as my sons futsal club, sometimes they come off and they look as surprised as anyone when it does but most of them time they ended up falling over the ball. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

That's exactly what he's always been really, we don't know what to expect from him and neither does he or the players around him. It's a shame it hasn't worked out as he seems like a great character, but he has always lacked the physicality to really boss full backs and defenders in this league, wants too much time on the ball and struggles to beat a man. In a lesser league he'd be class, as he'd have the time to skin players with his quick feet.

If McMenemy was in charge I suspect he'd have used Bale/Walcott/other old stagers a little more effectively.

It isn't just about buying players, it's about blending them with existing players, and using them effectively.

Not Ralph's no 1 skill it would seem. Making a 30+ player run around like a loony, rather than making use of their considerable experience, seems a bit one dimensional to me.

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

No he doesn t

I thought it was quite an odd interview from Blackmore and at the end he said he’s hoping it wouldn’t be the last time they spoke. Left me thinking that he either knows something or has just come to the assumption that now is the time he should leave. Prowsey was quite guarded at the end in his response, understandably I guess.

7 minutes ago, macca155 said:

If McMenemy was in charge I suspect he'd have used Bale/Walcott/other old stagers a little more effectively.

It isn't just about buying players, it's about blending them with existing players, and using them effectively.

Not Ralph's no 1 skill it would seem. Making a 30+ player run around like a loony, rather than making use of their considerable experience, seems a bit one dimensional to me.

Spot on. Every successful team has a blend of youth and experience. Look back at the United “dont win anything with kids team” a team of supposedly youngsters but still had Cantona, Bruce, Irwin, schmicheal as experienced players even Giggs and Keane were mid twenties by then. 

it appears to me that some good players with a couple of years left in them like Armstrong and Romeu are being phased out. I only hope we aren’t going to expect a load of youngsters to come in and fill the void as whilst it’s admirable will be a disaster 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Spot on. Every successful team has a blend of youth and experience. Look back at the United “dont win anything with kids team” a team of supposedly youngsters but still had Cantona, Bruce, Irwin, schmicheal as experienced players even Giggs and Keane were mid twenties by then. 

it appears to me that some good players with a couple of years left in them like Armstrong and Romeu are being phased out. I only hope we aren’t going to expect a load of youngsters to come in and fill the void as whilst it’s admirable will be a disaster 

Shades of Rupert Lowe's deluded confidence that our kids would storm their way back to the top. Something that's not far from my mind when the club go overboard with their pathway comments.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t say that interview sounds like JWP is off, find it odd people say it is. Thought he came across well and even as Adam Blackmore alluded to, Prowsy can’t say much either way. I thought he gave a professional textbook interview.

In regards to signings, as I’ve said countless times. No more bloody youth players that “could” be amazing. Especially for the GK position, can’t stand another McCarthy season or another Angus Gunn.

Go for experience.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Shades of Rupert Lowe's deluded confidence that our kids would storm their way back to the top. Something that's not far from my mind when the club go overboard with their pathway comments.

It winds me up why in 5 years we’ve failed to sign a decent, experienced centre half instead going for foreigners or youngsters who have failed. Look at someone like Craig Dawson for example, in the europa league team of the season and been key to West Ham this season been available twice for cheap since 2017 and both times we’ve been more clever and tried to sign players worrying more about resale value than doing a job we need for us. He’s not great by any means but would be that experienced centre half we’ve been lacking for years 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

If we are after a centre back Calvin Bassey at Rangers was excellent in their Europa cup final and again today. Nigeria international and at 22 has those all important qualities of being young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve 

And was 5 years at Leicester’s academy, so no stranger to the English game. Really strong player. Showed up well in both cup finals. He’s left sided  and I noticed a couple of overlapping runs with decent crosses today, whereas more centre back role v Frankfurt. So flexible too. Good signing. 
he can bring Van Bronkhorst and assistant Steven Davis as well 😉

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

I thought it was quite an odd interview from Blackmore and at the end he said he’s hoping it wouldn’t be the last time they spoke. Left me thinking that he either knows something or has just come to the assumption that now is the time he should leave. Prowsey was quite guarded at the end in his response, understandably I guess.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

It does feel like  that once players fail to make the 'run about' target, they are phased out. The impact of Alan Ball and Jimmy Case was immense but the game definitely had be adapted to what they would cope with. 

Klopp recognises that in the way he uses Milner and Henderson. DeSilva at Chelsea is another example.

Using promising youngsters only gets you so far. The likes of Miller know exactly how to sort them out. We have to be smarter than that.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

It winds me up why in 5 years we’ve failed to sign a decent, experienced centre half instead going for foreigners or youngsters who have failed. Look at someone like Craig Dawson for example, in the europa league team of the season and been key to West Ham this season been available twice for cheap since 2017 and both times we’ve been more clever and tried to sign players worrying more about resale value than doing a job we need for us. He’s not great by any means but would be that experienced centre half we’ve been lacking for years 

Not going for Jonny Evans when he was available for £5million was absurd, he spent 3 seasons being quality for Leicester and he would have been the perfect replacement for Fonte albeit a year late.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not going for Jonny Evans when he was available for £5million was absurd, he spent 3 seasons being quality for Leicester and he would have been the perfect replacement for Fonte albeit a year late.

Maybe we did? He didn't want to come South so was a non starter

9 hours ago, macca155 said:

"Roadsweepers & Violinists"

• Like 5

On 17/05/2022 at 15:20, Wiggles31 said:

Also linked with Josip Brekalo. RM on loan from Wolfsburg at Torino. 23 year old Croatian international. 

Bit more promising some of the links we’ve seen. 

Just came across a link to it, and he could already not be keen to be part of a pathway here.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/16/southampton-may-be-snubbed-by-9m-forward-he-wants-la-liga-move/

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

hahaha port city to port city but this chap has bigger spending clubs interested - would be surprised to see him turn up in 1 of the manchester clubs.

Honestly though I wouldnt have a clue which midfielders or attacking midfielders we could afford that would be an upgrade on what we have, the limit is of course my knowledge but there must be some quality players out there - we keep spending 10-15mil though on dare i say average ones.