Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Let’s get the band back together with Bale & Ox to have the best physio room we’ve ever had.

All those “imagine Southamptons team if they didn’t sell all their players” graphics/memes… maybe we’re slowly trying to make it a reality. We’ll have Van Dijk back in 2026.

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Really, cmon. Who looks at saints and thinks what this team really needs is a kid in net who hasn’t played above league 1.

If he's good enough, he's good enough. He's also been playing international football for the past year so has experience outside of League 1.

Have you seen him play? If so I'd be interested in why you think he wouldn't be good enough?

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apparently a good source for Liverpool stuff. I'd be very happy with this one on loan, be a bit sceptical if we're dropping £20m~ outright given the injury concerns.

It's been 4 years since he absolutely obliterated his knee - tore his anterior cruciate ligament, ruptured his lateral collateral ligament, damaged his medial ligament, and tore his lateral hamstring tendon clean off the bone all in the same tackle. The doctors said it was about as bad as it gets.

He got back to playing after a couple of years, but he's barely been a part-time footballer since then - clearly nothing like the player he was. 29 in August.

We'd be mugs to spend money on the memory of a player. We already did that with Walcott.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'm sure Ward Prowse is on many teams lists of "potential targets".

True.  It's a pity we never successfully invested in players to take advantage of his ability with corners.  We win enough corners but rarely do we get on the end of them.

If a top 4 club genuinely come in for JWP then he would be mad not to go. Especially to Spurs where he would have a good chance of regular minutes.

That said, to Saints he is clearly worth in the £50 - £60m bracket - would anyone really pay that for him?!

If he did go it would need a monumental rebuild as his output is so high in various metrics - not least goals and assists.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If a top 4 club genuinely come in for JWP then he would be mad not to go. Especially to Spurs where he would have a good chance of regular minutes.

That said, to Saints he is clearly worth in the £50 - £60m bracket - would anyone really pay that for him?!

If he did go it would need a monumental rebuild as his output is so high in various metrics - not least goals and assists.

The only slight 'niggle' in the back of my mind is that we've agreed a daft release clause if a 'CL' team come in for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

If he's good enough, he's good enough. He's also been playing international football for the past year so has experience outside of League 1.

Have you seen him play? If so I'd be interested in why you think he wouldn't be good enough?

Worth noting the Rep Ireland have been playing possession based football — Ralph likes his keepers to be good on the deck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

The only slight 'niggle' in the back of my mind is that we've agreed a daft release clause if a 'CL' team come in for him.

we ain't giving him a £100k+ a week, five year contract with low ball a CL side release clause.

36 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

'More ambitious' than a team who just finished in a Champions League place? Which other team should he hold out for?

A team who win trophies for one thing

Spurs have as much chance of winning the league and Champions League as we do.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

1) A team who win trophies for one thing

2) Spurs have as much chance of winning the league and Champions League as we do.

1) Such as?

2) That is clearly nonsense. They've been finishing in the top 4 in recent years and even made the final of the Champions League.

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Such as?

2) That is clearly nonsense. They've been finishing in the top 4 in recent years and even made the final of the Champions League.

1. Man City. Liverpool. Chelsea. 

2. Slightly tongue in cheek but their best player wanted to leave to fulfil his ambitions

For those saying JWP isn't worth £50-£60M why not? have you seen some of the players in that bracket and aren't proven in the league? Is Grealish really worth twice as much and does he contribute twice as much to a team? For some clubs he's worth it for the free kicks alone.

James WP absolutely deserves a move to CL club (or potential). I'm sure he signed that contract to ensure Saints get big money for him, which they obviously need. Good luck to him.

Not really bothered where he goes, but Spurs seems a good fit. He needs game time and they won't want him on the bench. 

The horrible truth is that we'll get more impact out of £60million, than keeping him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I'm sure he signed that contract to ensure Saints get big money for him, which they obviously need. 

I'm sure he signed that contract to ensure he got big money.

• Like 4

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I still don’t think he’ll leave. I really don’t.

Also on the flip side Spurs “may be interested” but are they going to pay out stupid money, likely not. Daniel Levy would offer maybe a fiver and some magic beans and even that is pushing the boat out.

Levy ain't giving us £70m. He's looking for bargains, players with a year left on their contract, not guys that have just signed five year deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

'More ambitious' than a team who just finished in a Champions League place? Which other team should he hold out for?

If he actually has the option he should hold out for Liverpool. If he’s got any chance to go there he’d be a decent fit. Jordan Henderson on the wane, James Milner can’t go on forever. 

So, in answer to your question, Liverpool. That’s who he should hold out for. If he hasn’t got a chance of signing for them, Spurs are another slightly lower option that he might pursue also, but in footballing terms it’s Liverpool.

4 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Seriously? I'd have Bale in a heart beat. It'll never happen but I bet he'd be good for 10+ goals a season.

The PR and exposure as well would not be underestimated. He wouldn't work under RH's rigid tactics though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d take neither.

Strange. They’d both offer us more in the 10 games they’re available for, than other other no10’s can all season. 

Bale is a seriously underrated player (not throughout his career, but now), get him motivated and he can still be one of the best in the world. He turns up time and time again for Wales. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

Hearing this morning Forster to join Spurs - if true, this may go some way to easing the previous bad blood on transfer dealings between the two clubs. 

Does it really count as a transfer though? He's out of contract so it's nothing to so with the club as to where he goes.

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Urgh have we really? We should be asking £75m for him this summer. If we've included a release clause for £50m or less (given only top 4 clubs could afford more), that's pretty damn stupid.

11 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

1. Man City. Liverpool. Chelsea. 

I've thought this. JWP has always been happy at saints and is on the record several times saying its his dream to captain the club. If he moves i think it will be to actually win trophies, not so much for the money, which will mean those 3 teams realistically. Imagine he'll also have a mind on making sure he's playing regularly as well given the impending WC. Hate to say it, but if Liverpool have the money, I could see him ending up there to replace players like Milner, Henderson, and even the relatively disappointing Keita. It would be disappointing if he went to a bottle job side like spurs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Urgh have we really? We should be asking £75m for him this summer. If we've included a release clause for £50m or less (given only top 4 clubs could afford more), that's pretty damn stupid.

We gave McCarthy a new contract that also was pretty damn stupid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/05/2022 at 19:48, hackedoff said:

They can afford to travel to London and pay for a cup final ticket though.

On 16/05/2022 at 17:57, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Calm down. Lot of pissed off people in Liverpool because of  the stitch up over Hillsborough. Booing the establishment is one way to show their frustration. 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

We gave McCarthy a new contract that also was pretty damn stupid

I think its a reasonable decision for a club with limited resources to offer McCarthy a new contract if they are expecting to sign a keeper to be the Number . Forster clearly wants a larger contract and would only be justified if he was the number 1 in my opinion.  Of course if we sign some kid then ill reserve the right to shout abuse at the club (again) for shyte decisions.

26 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

I think its a reasonable decision for a club with limited resources to offer McCarthy a new contract if they are expecting to sign a keeper to be the Number . Forster clearly wants a larger contract and would only be justified if he was the number 1 in my opinion.  Of course if we sign some kid then ill reserve the right to shout abuse at the club (again) for shyte decisions.

You don’t think we could have improved on him for those wages and fees?

He is shocking with distribution something key to Ralph’s playbook 

• Like 1

On the whole Forster / Macca situation. Why are we all so sure we didn't offer Forster a contract? Seems more likely he said no thanks (or told us to do one) given his history of being loaned out / bench warmer, and then went elsewhere? That or we offered far less wages than he can get elsewhere... By which point we kind of have to offer Macca a contract.

Also, isn't he really good mates with JWP? 😨

We're going to struggle if we go into next season with Macca as No.1 though, that's no slight on him, but we have all said for years now that we need a better keeper... so its a season of defensive struggle ahead for me - unless we miraculously learn to defend / sign some actual class CB's.

Edited by Saint86

33 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

You don’t think we could have improved on him for those wages and fees?

He is shocking with distribution something key to Ralph’s playbook 

How much are the wages we offered him and the agents fees? 

A real first team keeper if he isn't unlucky with injuries will play every game quite easily. So if AMs wages / fees are realistic for a back up keeper then im not worried. Lets be honest any of the clubs in and around our standing probably have fairly shyte back up keepers.

I reserve judgement until we sign a replacement for Forster and then if its clear Mcarthy is 1st choice then ill moan. Until that point how can you judge their decision unless we assume they are buying a young talent that wont be first choice then ill agree with you.