Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

29 minutes ago, Dman said:

As a club were generally speaking, pretty skint. 

We need to be spending wisely and spending on quality, rather than loading up on crap. As we have done for the past 4 years. 

And wisely doesn’t mean doing stuff on the cheap. Tried that screwed us

11 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think a move for Liam delap seems a no brainer, haaland coming in at city will totally kill his chances of breaking through and playing more then a couple of cup games..

I see no reason why we can’t get him with maybe a buyback inserted 

A loan seems the most likely outcome to me, but even then I wouldn’t be surprised if Man City don’t want to release him. Last season City played almost 60 games in all competitions. They’ve got an extremely good squad so are able to rotate their players, but they don’t have an abundance of genuine ‘strikers’. Haaland will obviously get loads of game time, Jesus will get some if he’s still there, but Delap is only 19 so still plenty of time for him. City resisted offers to send Delap on loan in January so it will be interesting to see what they’ll do this summer.

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

A loan seems the most likely outcome to me, but even then I wouldn’t be surprised if Man City don’t want to release him. Last season City played almost 60 games in all competitions. They’ve got an extremely good squad so are able to rotate their players, but they don’t have an abundance of genuine ‘strikers’. Haaland will obviously get loads of game time, Jesus will get some if he’s still there, but Delap is only 19 so still plenty of time for him. City resisted offers to send Delap on loan in January so it will be interesting to see what they’ll do this summer.

City have also signed some South American forward who just scored 6 goals in a game for River Plate - https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2022/05/future-man-city-striker-fires-warning-haaland

Edited by AlexLaw76

Can’t say i’ve Ever rated fredericks particularly highly.

A one year deal as cheapish cover I could sort of stomach, given our loss of livramento. My concern would be that he would want a longer deal and our history with the likes of long/Walcott is us ending up giving players longer deals than we should.

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

City have also signed some South American forward who just scored 6 goals in a game for River Plate - https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2022/05/future-man-city-striker-fires-warning-haaland

In that case, yeah, Delap may well struggle to get a chance. Although it looks like Jesus will be off this summer, so who knows.

Fredericks is a good Championship right back but struggled to make an impression at West Ham. As back up I could stomach it while Tino gets fit. Rather him as back up than Valery. 

Plus if we get relegated, KWP and Tino will be off and we'll have that position sorted. 😜 

43 minutes ago, Streaky said:

If that's the sort of players we are targeting we'll be in a relegation scrap for sure.

I imagine it would just be to provide cover while Tino recovers. A low risk free transfer seems the perfect deal for that scenario. 

19 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Fredericks is a good Championship right back but struggled to make an impression at West Ham. As back up I could stomach it while Tino gets fit. Rather him as back up than Valery. 

Plus if we get relegated, KWP and Tino will be off and we'll have that position sorted. 😜 

Which is exactly the point. He's better than Valery and so will improve us whilst Tino recovers. Makes complete sense on a free. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.png.f0dfd2091a0b7888b1018a04257e901d.pngMore speculative than anything, but some talented names mentioned. Nothing particularly new. 

Mcatee & Palmer are legit top-drawer talents in the youth game.

Garner’s had a very good season too, but we rarely seem to address the centre-mid position.

All well and good, but we need experience at goalkeeper and centreback bare minimum. We can't have an entire team of players under 25. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Don't forget they've just signed Alvarez too 

2 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Gyokeres is a good championship striker, as was Armstrong. But not sure he has the pace to make the step up.

Agreed - but I am not sure we can afford a proven premier league striker or a top striker from another league (hope I am wrong about that). Difference between Armstrong and Gyokeres is physicality - Armstrong doesn't have the height or pace for the premier league. Gyokeres has the height and physicality.  We do need someone up front who can lead the line and win the ball in the air - we don't have anyone like that at the moment.

Not one link has excited me so far. Are these youngsters going to have the grit and the knowhow to navigate a relegation battle if it comes to it? Delap has played 2 senior games, and McAtee has played 6... 

We need a 15 goal striker. We need two horrible midfielders. We need a top centre-back. We need at least one number 10 with a bit about them. 

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Not one link has excited me so far. Are these youngsters going to have the grit and the knowhow to navigate a relegation battle if it comes to it? Delap has played 2 senior games, and McAtee has played 6... 

We need a 15 goal striker. We need two horrible midfielders. We need a top centre-back. We need at least one number 10 with a bit about them. 

Broja and Livramento didn't need senior English experience to be very effective.

Why do we need a 15 goal striker? Only 5 teams had a 15 goal player in the PL this season!

Why do we need 'two horrible midfielders'?

Edited by Matthew Le God

18 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

This season 6 players scored 15 or more Premier League goals - Salah, Son, Ronaldo, Kane, Mane,Jota and Vardy.

Which one do you think we should buy? How much do you think they would cost?

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Streaky said:

If that's the sort of players we are targeting we'll be in a relegation scrap for sure.

Seriously?

I suggested Fredericks a few weeks back, he was someone we'd been linked with previously and can fill the obvious full back void we have - for free!

A full back wasn't a target for this summer until Tino got injured, now we need to get cover. A freebie English rb, with PL experience as a squad player makes total sense to me.

This isn't a 'first team' signing by any means, it'll add cover whilst Tino recovers.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Seriously?

I suggested Fredericks a few weeks back, he was someone we'd been linked with previously and can fill the obvious full back void we have - for free!

A full back wasn't a target for this summer until Tino got injured, now we need to get cover. A freebie English rb, with PL experience as a squad player makes total sense to me.

This isn't a 'first team' signing by any means, it'll add cover whilst Tino recovers.

Agree with this, especially if we can get a fee for Valery.

Not sure what I think of this - 

Tottenham place £25m valuation on Harry Winks with home-grown midfielder set to LEAVE north London | Daily Mail Online

1) Doing a deal with Tottenham over a midfielder when we have JWP here makes me feel uneasy

2) £25m is just a stupid amount of money for someone pretty average. £10-15m tops I'd say, pretty uncomfortable spending a huge part of our budget on him.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure what I think of this - 

Tottenham place £25m valuation on Harry Winks with home-grown midfielder set to LEAVE north London | Daily Mail Online

1) Doing a deal with Tottenham over a midfielder when we have JWP here makes me feel uneasy

2) £25m is just a stupid amount of money for someone pretty average. £10-15m tops I'd say, pretty uncomfortable spending a huge part of our budget on him.

God I hope this doesn’t happen. Massively overrated player. And clearly part of opening discussions about JWP. Avoid. Awful. 

• Like 1

A few observations from reports over the last 24 hours:

- Fredericks would be a cover signing, not a replacement for Tino or KWP, so let’s shut that bollocks down now.

- The teenagers supposedly targeting, one or two yes, but we can’t have a team of children, they’ll be out-muscled and out-played before they even hit puberty.

- Harry Winks is excellent at passing sideways, wouldn’t pay more than £10m for him (if we were linked). But I don’t think he’ll come here anyway.

- Forster going to Spurs IS NOT the clubs fault. His contract was up, he chose not to renew.

- A solid experienced spine is needed down the team.

- JWP will not be leaving, he just won’t.

- This random GK from Turkey who we’ve been linked with for free and could then immediately loan out, I see the word “potential” and then see the age “25”. If he couldn’t hack it in Turkey, getting relegated in the process, I’m fairly confident he won’t hack it in the PL.

- This Juventus player, never heard of him.

- The three coaches going - good. Bring in some experienced ones like Sammy Lee etc. Not sure what this means for RH though, it would appear he’ll be backed.

- The sounds coming out of the club via more acclaimed ITK journos, would you not say these are all encouraging sounds? So many on here saying how we’re shit and going down etc, let’s see what happens this summer. Give them a window ffs.

And just on the side note, Villa heavily backing Gerrard in the market, the numbers that are being thrown around though is incredible, we can’t compete with that. And equally is a huge risk on their part. Partly hoping they become the next Everton. 😂

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Thats a very very good signing, Im surprised considering Newcastle were heavily linked that he has rocked up at villa though

Think Newcastle want Botman.  3 very good signings (nearly) through the door at Villa.

• Like 1

Yep, Diego Carlos will be a very good signing if he settles over here. A massive upgrade on Mings and with inflation, £26m isn’t too much these days. Although, probably above our budgets, sadly. 

As for Delap, I don’t know how good he is, but he’d be stupid not to be considering his options this summer. He didn’t get a look in at City when they barely had a striker (Jesus). Now, they have Haaland (although, he’s a bit injury prone) and the South American youngster. 

45 minutes ago, waylander said:

This season 6 players scored 15 or more Premier League goals - Salah, Son, Ronaldo, Kane, Mane,Jota and Vardy.

Which one do you think we should buy? How much do you think they would cost?

15 across all competitions sounds about right to me considering the limitations of Che - who I think is the perfect second striker.

Pukki, for example, got 11. Toney got 12.

Emmanuel Dennis would be at the top of my list, but shouldn't be too hard to find someone in a similar bracket if we spend about £30m. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Broja and Livramento didn't need senior English experience to be very effective.

Why do we need a 15 goal striker? Only 5 teams had a 15 goal player in the PL this season!

Why do we need 'two horrible midfielders'?

1) Broja had experience in a top European league and as a senior international - and still only managed six league goals and to look bothered / keep up intensity for half of the season. Livramento clearly struggled with fitness after exploding onto the scene.

2) I should have clarified 15 goals across all comps, around 11 goals in the PL would be fine - the same amount as Teemu Pukki managed. As long as we're willing to spend in the £30m bracket, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

3) Because our midfield is lightweight and too passive a lot of the time (especially without Romeu), and Romeu will likely be off this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

1) Broja had experience in a top European league and as a senior international - and still only managed six league goals and to look bothered / keep up intensity for half of the season. Livramento clearly struggled with fitness after exploding onto the scene.

2) I should have clarified 15 goals across all comps, around 11 goals in the PL would be fine - the same amount as Teemu Pukki managed. As long as we're willing to spend in the £30m bracket, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

3) Because our midfield is lightweight and too passive a lot of the time (especially without Romeu), and Romeu will likely be off this summer.

I think I’ve spotted a flaw in your plan.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I think I’ve spotted a flaw in your plan.

Yeah it seems unlikely, but I think it's time for SR to put up or accept that we will be one of the sides circling the drain. Che Adams, while a good player, being the main goalscorer for a Premier League side is a recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

1) The Dutch league isn't really a top European league.

2) Across all competitions isn't a great gauge. Not difficult to get a hatful vs a League Two or non league team in the Cup and inflate your tally

3) How have you determined the liklihood of Romeu departing this summer?

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) The Dutch league isn't really a top European league.

2) Across all competitions isn't a great gauge. Not difficult to get a hatful vs a League Two or non league team in the Cup and inflate your tally

3) How have you determined the liklihood of Romeu departing this summer?

1) Ok mate, apologies - have you got the MLG approved list for future reference? It is better than Premier League 2 though, correct?

2) Fair enough, 11 league goals then - I'm sure you take my point.

3) One year on his contract, seems to be the point where we let players go if there's any interest elsewhere.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Seriously?

Being free doesn't make him a good signing. We shouldn't be concentrating on back up signings when the first team is so poor. Kwp will be playing alot at left back next season regardless of how long Livramento is out. Which means Fredericks if signed will be playing alot of football. 

Might aswell go get Clyne too if that's the level of ambition.

1 minute ago, Streaky said:

Being free doesn't make him a good signing. We shouldn't be concentrating on back up signings when the first team is so poor. Kwp will be playing alot at left back next season regardless of how long Livramento is out. Which means Fredericks if signed will be playing alot of football. 

Why? We don’t have a right back without Livramento.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Streaky said:

No way KWP plays left back next season. I don't think Perraud is that bad an option

• Like 2

Hopefully the majority of these latest transfer rumours are bullshit. Was getting my hopes up with the coaching shakeup, to then see links with Harry Wanks for 25 mill, some polish keeper who is allegedly 'one for the future' and Ryan Fredericks. We need players who can improve us right now, not more average squad fillers.

Impressive to see what Villa are doing. I dont expect us to be throwing that sort of money around, but hopefully we can start seeing some quality links soon

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

15 across all competitions sounds about right to me considering the limitations of Che - who I think is the perfect second striker.

Pukki, for example, got 11. Toney got 12.

Emmanuel Dennis would be at the top of my list, but shouldn't be too hard to find someone in a similar bracket if we spend about £30m. 

5 of Toneys IIRC were pens, several of Pukkis were as well IIRC. 

If you add 5 pens to Che Adams, he gets 12 PL goals. It's JWP takes our pens. 

Finding an outfield player to score like 15 PL goals on our budget is quite hard, someone like Toney had Brentford not gone up would have probably cost £25 million or more as an unproven PL player. We only got Armstrong for around £15 million because he had a year on his contract left and he's not worked out yet in the PL. 

-------

Also going to add everyone was cooing about Villa's signings last year btw, didn't do them much good, sacked a manager, spent over £100 million, finished mid table. Pretty sure previous years people have made noises about Evertons summer transfers (got them far) and West Hams summer transfers under Pellegrini (didn't work out so well either). 

Diego Carlos is a 29 year old whos never played outside Spain/France, who is Brazilian, but has no caps for Brazil when they cap anyone. They have also called up a 37 year old Miranda recently ahead of him. He could be good of course, just as high chance he's another expensive flop to add to their list. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

He was linked a few days ago, in a report that made no sense. 

It might make sense if we do re-sign Caballero as 3rd choice and given there are question marks about McCarthy longer term.

Signing a GK with further potential to improve and loaning him out for a season whilst we don't need him and seeing how he develops is not terrible logic.

Clearly if true we would be signing a first team squad keeper also, but not a bad thing to also be thinking a little longer term and essentially with very low risk considering no fee and likely low wages. Might even be a small profit to be made even if he didnt end up playing for us.

16 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

5 of Toneys IIRC were pens, several of Pukkis were as well IIRC. 

If you add 5 pens to Che Adams, he gets 12 PL goals. It's JWP takes our pens. 

Finding an outfield player to score like 15 PL goals on our budget is quite hard, someone like Toney had Brentford not gone up would have probably cost £25 million or more as an unproven PL player. We only got Armstrong for around £15 million because he had a year on his contract left and he's not worked out yet in the PL. 

-------

Also going to add everyone was cooing about Villa's signings last year btw, didn't do them much good, sacked a manager, spent over £100 million, finished mid table. Pretty sure previous years people have made noises about Evertons summer transfers (got them far) and West Hams summer transfers under Pellegrini (didn't work out so well either). 

Diego Carlos is a 29 year old whos never played outside Spain/France, who is Brazilian, but has no caps for Brazil when they cap anyone. They have also called up a 37 year old Miranda recently ahead of him. He could be good of course, just as high chance he's another expensive flop to add to their list. 

Was worse than that. 14th. A mere 5 points ahead of us - when we could only muster a mere 5 points in the last 12 games. Gerard did an average job, nothing more. You're right though, the likes of Ings, Buendia, Bailey and Digne have all flattered to deceive for the best part of 120 million

5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Agreed, sounds good but how many post-season Telegraph/Athletic pieces have we had talking about how much we'll do, which has led to literally nothing.

We signed 6 players last summer. Sold five, let three go and loaned a few too. The outcome might not have been what we wanted, but I guess that is activity and a fair bit more than the season before.  What you expecting this summer in terms of numbers in/out?  

4 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Can’t say i’ve Ever rated fredericks particularly highly.

A one year deal as cheapish cover I could sort of stomach, given our loss of livramento. My concern would be that he would want a longer deal and our history with the likes of long/Walcott is us ending up giving players longer deals than we should.

Do any 29 year old Prem free transfers sign one year deals with new clubs?