Matt Le Tissier Position

FrenchSaint

It could be that being a bit different , or on the spectrum like us engineer types , means that was made him a fantastic footballer doing things that no one expected. Didn’t feel the need to run around in training or get on with fellow ‘nutters’ like Hoddle .

Unlike Lineker he’s got nothing to lose apart from his reputation and it’s so long ago not that many are aware of that.

• Like 1

I think his reputation as a humorous, level headed pundit has long gone.

His little stints on GB News don’t help him. Most on there just rehash and repeat the same bullshit over and over again to nutters.

I unfollowed him a while back on social media; he only pops up on my timeline now when someone RT’s something wildly outlandish that he posts. 🤣

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 3

On 11/03/2023 at 22:11, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

They say never meet your heroes, well I did meet him once, in a queue to pay for petrol and he did not just give me the time of day he chatted to me like a pal.

When my son was at his academy he gave up his time for him and many others like him. He was down to earth and unpretentious far from the stereotype most of us have of footballers.

On the football field he was extraordinary, he scored most of our goals and set up many of the rest. Coveted by big clubs across the spectrum he stayed loyal to us and Southampton. That was not just unusual it was exceptional. Loyalty is as good a gauge of judging somebody as anything. 

Of course, I found some of his tweets unfortunate but although they were often rather crudely presented, I could see what he was trying to say. The point he was trying to make was that in all the hysteria of the pandemic, decisions were being made and there seemed to be little scope for debate without the mob shouting you down. A bit like 1930's Germany really.

He paid quite a price for his viewpoint, he left Sky and stopped being our ambassador. His views were often unorthodox and I probably understood why Sky felt increasingly uncomfortable with him making them. The BBC enforces stricter rules on impartiality than Sky of course, its their standard and not surprisingly, at one point when you liken the Government to speaking the same language of Nazis, they too needed to take a stand. Of course its a grey area when you are freelance but he was the BBC's highest paid talent. 

What Le Tissier is now saying is that the when he expressed a controversial opinion, many of the people that screamed hysterically for him to be cancelled are the same ones that are now decrying the death of free speech.  

Cunt is a word I reserve for special occasions and next time you use it, I would suggest that you rise above the social media lynch mob and just think for yourself. I decided, although he is clumsy with his delivery and I don't agree with some of the things he has said, he is on the whole, a decent bloke and remains in my book a legend of our club. 

Very, very well said   

The fact is, those leaked WhatsApp messages that came out from the government the other day essentially vindicated 95% of what he was saying. 

Id trust Le Tiss over most of the pricks in Westminster, personally. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Very, very well said   

The fact is, those leaked WhatsApp messages that came out from the government the other day essentially vindicated 95% of what he was saying. 

I think you must be reading different WhatsApp leaked messages to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Very, very well said   

The man said there were actors pretending to be dying in the Italian hospitals we all saw on TV!?!?!?! He’s lost his mind and is lost to the conspiracy wormhole.  Amazing footballer who I will forever remember lighting up my youth with his sensational goals but sadly not a man I could any longer admire off the pitch.

• Like 4

On 11/03/2023 at 22:11, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

They say never meet your heroes, well I did meet him once, in a queue to pay for petrol and he did not just give me the time of day he chatted to me like a pal.

When my son was at his academy he gave up his time for him and many others like him. He was down to earth and unpretentious far from the stereotype most of us have of footballers.

On the football field he was extraordinary, he scored most of our goals and set up many of the rest. Coveted by big clubs across the spectrum he stayed loyal to us and Southampton. That was not just unusual it was exceptional. Loyalty is as good a gauge of judging somebody as anything. 

Of course, I found some of his tweets unfortunate but although they were often rather crudely presented, I could see what he was trying to say. The point he was trying to make was that in all the hysteria of the pandemic, decisions were being made and there seemed to be little scope for debate without the mob shouting you down. A bit like 1930's Germany really.

He paid quite a price for his viewpoint, he left Sky and stopped being our ambassador. His views were often unorthodox and I probably understood why Sky felt increasingly uncomfortable with him making them. The BBC enforces stricter rules on impartiality than Sky of course, its their standard and not surprisingly, at one point when you liken the Government to speaking the same language of Nazis, they too needed to take a stand. Of course its a grey area when you are freelance but he was the BBC's highest paid talent. 

What Le Tissier is now saying is that the when he expressed a controversial opinion, many of the people that screamed hysterically for him to be cancelled are the same ones that are now decrying the death of free speech.  

Cunt is a word I reserve for special occasions and next time you use it, I would suggest that you rise above the social media lynch mob and just think for yourself. I decided, although he is clumsy with his delivery and I don't agree with some of the things he has said, he is on the whole, a decent bloke and remains in my book a legend of our club. 

Indeed.

I think his opinions in the beginning were well intentioned, question the science/government/media, fight for freedoms etc 

Unfortunately for him those opinions were very much maligned, especially early on in the pandemic which forced him towards some people that were a bit more extreme with their views and rather naively led him down some pretty silly rabbit holes on a variety of subjects. 

I don’t think any of that makes him a bad person. Ignorant certainly, embarrassing to our football club? Not at all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Channons Windmill said:

It's also important to remember that this 'social media influencer' role he's landed with is now probably his sole/main source of income..... I hear from a source within the game that he's potentially in an interesting financial position.. 

Is he relaunching Celebration Plaza?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Channons Windmill said:

It's also important to remember that this 'social media influencer' role he's landed with is now probably his sole/main source of income..... I hear from a source within the game that he's potentially in an interesting financial position.. 

That’s a real shame.  He could have increased his income considerably if he left us, but he stayed loyal.

Personally, I’ll always be grateful to him for that.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, OldNick said:

When I saw 'the Mathew Le Tissier position' I wondered if it was a new outlandish entry into the Karma Sutra. Fortunately it was not, I cant do those and another new one every night

Do you ever lie there and do fuck all, but manage to finish anyway? 

That's the Matthew Le Tissier position.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Do you ever lie there and do fuck all, but manage to finish anyway? 

That's the Matthew Le Tissier position.

Fortunately ive got a team to do all the work, but be there at the right time for the glory and adulation at the end

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Channons Windmill said:

Oh he's 100% giving his only audience now exactly what they want. He's a slave to his audience now and that audience wants to be outraged and wants to be fed a certain narrative. The Lineker stuff was quite funny because his audience and his platforms (GB news etc) talk about free speech but also found themselves in a position that their narrative matched with having to back Lineker but still needing an enemy and a conspiracy. The BBC obviously stepped into that role nicely and MLT threw in the conspiracy about his own personal experience (the fact that it didn't stand up to any scrutiny of course isn't an issue with that audience).

I see Mark Lawrenson has also happily obliged in giving the audience exactly what it wants too recently. Going on GB news and calling for all pundits to be sacked.

He and MLT probably don't even believe the stuff they say, certainly initially, but it's a path they will find hard to come back from and immediately rules you out of working for any credible platform in the future, which coincidently continues to suit the narrative they want, until the audience eventually dries up of course, which will be a sorry sight.  

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Oh he's 100% giving his only audience now exactly what they want. He's a slave to his audience now and that audience wants to be outraged and wants to be fed a certain narrative. The Lineker stuff was quite funny because his audience and his platforms (GB news etc) talk about free speech but also found themselves in a position that their narrative matched with having to back Lineker but still needing an enemy and a conspiracy. The BBC obviously stepped into that role nicely and MLT threw in the conspiracy about his own personal experience (the fact that it didn't stand up to any scrutiny of course isn't an issue with that audience).

I see Mark Lawrenson has also happily obliged in giving the audience exactly what it wants too recently. Going on GB news and calling for all pundits to be sacked.

He and MLT probably don't even believe the stuff they say, certainly initially, but it's a path they will find hard to come back from and immediately rules you out of working for any credible platform in the future, which coincidently continues to suit the narrative they want, until the audience eventually dries up of course, which will be a sorry sight.  

100% this. He's cornered himself into a revenue stream from conspiracy theorists. He'll never get back to being mainstream media so he has to keep digging.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

I saw him cover every blade of grass at an  Coventry away game.  It was the game Grobbelar was suspected of trying to throw.

He admitted intentionally kicking the ball into touch from kick-off.

The sending off against Liverpool at the Dell was a really odd tackle, it was bizarre. 

On 13/03/2023 at 23:02, CB Fry said:

I think you must be reading different WhatsApp leaked messages to me.

Was talking about the leaked government WhatsApp’s from Hancock etc. where they were all talking about intentionally creating fear of covid so that they could justify longer lockdowns and coerce vaccinations of the population. 

The sort of stuff that should have them all instantly thrown in jail. But also the stuff that proves Le Tiss was asking good questions. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Was talking about the leaked government WhatsApp’s from Hancock etc. where they were all talking about intentionally creating fear of covid so that they could justify longer lockdowns and coerce vaccinations of the population. 

The sort of stuff that should have them all instantly thrown in jail. But also the stuff that proves Le Tiss was asking good questions. 

Thanks for that.

7 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Governments have always used scare tactics in public health messaging, that’s why cigarette packaging says ‘Smoking Kills’ not ‘ a couple a day and you will probably be fine’.

It was a balancing act, if they scared people too much they would have people fighting over toilet rolls, if they didn’t scare people enough no one would pay any attention and you would have got many needless deaths. Hancocks messages don’t mean a thing.

• Like 1

Very few original thinkers out there in UK land plus too many people who like being contrary. People tend to tune into people who's views align with their own, the strange thing is people don't just believe in COVID misinformation, they buy into every conspiracy theory out there which is twinned with the 'fake news' message (before Trumplestiltskin even uttered it) so these pied piper types protect their revenue streams by claiming conspiracy. Very hard to admit mistakes, especially the male of the species.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Genuine question, how is anybody making money out of this , I’m baffled how he earns from spouting bollocks 😳

He'll get an appearance fee every time he appears on GB News, he might for instance host Q&A meetings online (patreon etc.) or in person where people can either pay or donate. I suspect a book deal is in the pipeline. I would imagine currently he's quite a draw for certain communities. 

18 minutes ago, swannymere said:

He'll get an appearance fee every time he appears on GB News, he might for instance host Q&A meetings online (patreon etc.) or in person where people can either pay or donate. I suspect a book deal is in the pipeline. I would imagine currently he's quite a draw for certain communities. 

Ok , enough to keep him in the lifestyle he was accustomed to or not ? Thanks for the reply !

One thing that was said to me (not sure if genuine) about le tissier and his finances was that he had his daughter at a private school, but following the sky sports sacking/removal she is now at a public school.  I think le tissiers has money tied up in housing investment.

Matt very kindly stopped for photos with a lot of fans today, including my young lads who were very pleased to meet him! He may well espouse some strange political comments but he is always a very obliging local celebrity when many others aren’t…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roosk said:

Matt very kindly stopped for photos with a lot of fans today, including my young lads who were very pleased to meet him! He may well espouse some strange political comments but he is always a very obliging local celebrity when many others aren’t…

I think he'd stop and talk about football all day if he could, clearly still loves the game 

2 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

One thing that was said to me (not sure if genuine) about le tissier and his finances was that he had his daughter at a private school, but following the sky sports sacking/removal she is now at a public school.  I think le tissiers has money tied up in housing investment.

Didn’t he own a night club that closed years back ?

3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Ok , enough to keep him in the lifestyle he was accustomed to or not ? Thanks for the reply !

not a chance. He earned a fortune from the Sky gig. GB News appearance will be bobbins in comparison. 

On 18/03/2023 at 18:14, johnnyboy said:

Hard to tell, i would imagine he probably earned more whilst a pundit with after dinner speaking etc. than he ever did as a player. Currently? Who knows, possibly enough to pay the bills. Can't imagine GB News pay much for a talking head.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

didnt MLT say something about this?

He says lots of things !

Death and illness from covid vaccine is well known and documented.

Just dont point le tissier to the annual nhs negligence bill.

When is this bill gates great reset happening ? I thought we would all be in concentration camps by now according to mad matt.

There has already been a rewriting of history of the covid outbreak . Mostly it's not mentioned these days in everyday life , too many other pressures to deal with !

Interesting to see that some actual evidence of a conection to wild animal trade surfaced recently . I'm not convinced China will ever allow the whole truth to come out .

I wonder what his views are on the 15 minute city? Was just listening to a report about them on World Service and there's a load of whack jobs online ranting on about how "they" want to lock us all in some sort of climate prison so everyone is forced to cycle or walk to any amenity or work within 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I wonder what his views are on the 15 minute city? Was just listening to a report about them on World Service and there's a load of whack jobs online ranting on about how "they" want to lock us all in some sort of climate prison so everyone is forced to cycle or walk to any amenity or work within 15 minutes.

Isn't it just like the world used to be 100 years ago when everyone worked near where they live, went to the local pub, local shops, kids went to the local school and had a friendly local community? I think theyre a great idea, unless of course the part of the plan they arent telling us is to erect huge electric fences around them to stop anyone ever leaving them.

• Like 1

Obviously he talks loads of shite om his political subjects, and the people who egg him on and give him validation represent an increasingly dangerous element of society (and unfortunately he falls within that group).

But, as others have said, if you meet him he's absolutely sound and a lovely bloke.

• Like 1

Isn't it just like the world used to be 100 years ago when everyone worked near where they live, went to the local pub, local shops, kids went to the local school and had a friendly local community? I think theyre a great idea, unless of course the part of the plan they arent telling us is to erect huge electric fences around them to stop anyone ever leaving them.

We are halfway to there to the old days.  Instead up sending kids up chimneys in the city, we now send kids down lithium mines for our energy.

Amazing times.

Does he talk any more shite than those that are so entrenched in their views the other way? I know we've had lots of people demanding debate and discussion, The problem is when anyone says something they dont agree with they're dismissed as a conspiracy theorist loon that talks a lot of shite who is a danger to society.

MLT did question the vaccines and if there is a link to them and footballers collapsing on the pitch, there does seem to be some evidence emerging that some people do get heart problems from them. Maybe not such a loon after all?

Good points. Is he really talking more nonsense than the people who shut down parts of the economy, made people walk in a one way direction around shopping centres, restricted how many times we were allowed to go outside to exercise, couldn't meet on a public bench, were only allowed to buy a pint if we were having a meal, the list goes on and on?

I don't think people's minds are going to be changed about restrictions, some people loved being paid not to go to work and lounge around in the garden all summer but I think it's important to have debate and that means considering both sides of the argument.

Matt Le Tissier has been the best footballer I've ever seen play for Southampton and he remained loyal to the club throughout his whole playing career, his status as a football pundit is so low now that he'll be unlikely to get another decent job doing that so fair play to him for standing by his convictions on this whether people believe him or not. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Green said:

Good points. Is he really talking more nonsense than the people who shut down parts of the economy, made people walk in a one way direction around shopping centres, restricted how many times we were allowed to go outside to exercise, couldn't meet on a public bench, were only allowed to buy a pint if we were having a meal, the list goes on and on?

I don't think people's minds are going to be changed about restrictions, some people loved being paid not to go to work and lounge around in the garden all summer but I think it's important to have debate and that means considering both sides of the argument.

Matt Le Tissier has been the best footballer I've ever seen play for Southampton and he remained loyal to the club throughout his whole playing career, his status as a football pundit is so low now that he'll be unlikely to get another decent job doing that so fair play to him for standing by his convictions on this whether people believe him or not. 

Take Omicron. There was a huge amount of scaremongering going on by the government and media, whilst others were at panic stations and gripped with fear because of stuff that was spread. MLT was one of those that said this was scaremongering and was dismissed as a crack and to STFU. But yet again there is evidence coming out from Matt Hancocks whatsapps that it was indeed exactly what went on, they wanted people to be scared, they spread bad news on purpose. So again, does he have a valid point? I would say if people genuinely want debate then he does.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Take Omicron. There was a huge amount of scaremongering going on by the government and media, whilst others were at panic stations and gripped with fear because of stuff that was spread. MLT was one of those that said this was scaremongering and was dismissed as a crack and to STFU. But yet again there is evidence coming out from Matt Hancocks whatsapps that it was indeed exactly what went on, they wanted people to be scared, they spread bad news on purpose. So again, does he have a valid point? I would say if people genuinely want debate then he does.

It's hardly a debate if Matt and his ilk just spout rubbish off the internet .

On 11/03/2023 at 22:43, whelk said:

Why dies everyone think he lost his Sky role because of his Covid views? Thompson and Nicholas were also culled - what is their grievance as to what was afoot?

agree MLT was a decent humble chap but has now become a parody.

All three of them lost their jobs because Sky wanted to hire a more diverse panel. Three old white men didn't fit with their diversity plans. The sackings have proved to be the death of Soccer Saturday as the ratings have fallen dramatically since the guys left.