Leeds 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

1 hour ago, Chez said:

think it's 4 goals in last 18 rather than 3. It's certainly four Prem goals in last 16 games and one FA cup goal in 4 games. 4 of those games he came on as a sub. You're the stat man though, so I'm sure you will put me straight.

I agree with you though that he didn't do enough today. Service wasn't great (too long and hoofed hopefully) at times, but I thought he wasn't sharp enough and didn't press hard enough. I thought he retained possession a lot better than Che, who, I thought was poor, giving the ball away a lot. The only thing I recall about Broja's performance was that had a couple of good opportunities to break. One, he showed great pace but was fouled, leading to their goal, the other he was either fouled or dived, not sure. If the former, he should have been stronger and taken the opportunity not go to ground. Overall though, he just wasn't enough of a pest and just didn't sprint hard enough to close players down. 

You're right 3 in 17. Still abysmal. He has been completely anonymous for weeks. 

Good game, loved it. Elland Road cracking ground. Good fans, so chilled and a good laugh. No pretensions and I really like their team. That Raphina was making lovely runs behind our line. His thinking was too fast for them to pick him out. A great game with the ref trying to screw it up. He really was one of the worst I’ve actually seen.

Really like our team and there is a decent one in there. Great view for the JWP goal. First time I thought this was going in with certainty since Le Tissier used to do it. Almost like a penalty.

God help us when Romeu goes off the boil. Really think he’ll be harder to replace than anyone.

Great atmosphere, easy to get in an out of and a proper old ground. Way better than Etihad or any of the event stadiums. Felt like an actual football match.

Will definitely go back. Loved it.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

I don’t get it - what do footballers do in training all week if they are so uncomfortable using their weaker foot. Adams should be shown the 50 odd chances spurned by him by his refusal to use his left. You don’t get that extra second in the premier league so you might as well use your left. 

I think it was Bobby Charlton who said that, when he signed with Man U, he was told that he needed to be much better with both feet. So he spent hours and hours practising just by hitting a ball against a wall, one hour with his left then one hour with his right.

Nowadays it’s just accepted that professional players might be entirely shit on their wrong foot. Paul Merson exemplified this, really good player but simply had no left foot ability at all.

I'll take a point. We should have had a free kick when Broja was fouled on half way but didn't and they scored. Forster should have done better 

Leeds' midfield press pushed us into too many hopeful punts forward and we never flowed.

Blue line. Move on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

You're right 3 in 17. Still abysmal. He has been completely anonymous for weeks. 

4 in 18 is about 8 or 9 over a season. Which is only slightly under what Che Adams had last year (9 from 34). Would you describe that as an abysmal return?

A 20 year old hitting 10 goals in his debut PL side would, IMO, be an extremely good achievement. As has been said many time, Broja needs to not start every game, but in reality he’s far and away the best option there as there no real depth behind him. I think your criticism of him is a bit over the top, he’s not abysmal by any stretch.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TWar said:

In which time your man Armstrong has had Long, Tella and smallbone selected ahead of him. 

I think that shows what Ralph thinks of the 2 of them. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

4 in 18 is about 8 or 9 over a season. Which is only slightly under what Che Adams had last year (9 from 34). Would you describe that as an abysmal return?

A 20 year old hitting 10 goals in his debut PL side would, IMO, be an extremely good achievement. As has been said many time, Broja needs to not start every game, but in reality he’s far and away the best option there as there no real depth behind him. I think your criticism of him is a bit over the top, he’s not abysmal by any stretch.

He's not abysmal, but 3 goals in 17 games is, as is not scoring in his last 9 games.

18 minutes ago, TWar said:

I thought it was months? I hoped for more from him today, but both strikers were ineffective. A lot of that has to do with the service provided to them, which wasn't always good.

He's scored 9 in 32, Che 8 in 27. Armstrong 2 in 25. Long 2 in 15.

Let's hope one of those or Tella can step up next week against Chelsea.

Just now, TWar said:

He's not abysmal, but 3 goals in 17 games is, as is not scoring in his last 9 games.

None in 9 is poor, but you’ve massaged the 3 in 17 / 4 in 18 to suit your narrative, haven’t you?

In any case, what’s the answer? You think one of our starting strikers is in an abysmal run of form. What’s your suggested solution to that?

1 minute ago, Dman said:

In which time your man Armstrong has had Long, Tella and smallbone selected ahead of him. 

I think that shows what Ralph thinks of the 2 of them. 

Armstrong has been selected over all 3 this season too. Its situational. Smallbone didn't start up front. Let's see who starts at Chelsea.

Armstrong aside, surely even you must admit Broja was awful today and hasn't been good for a fair while. 3 goals in 17 games isn't good enough. 6 goals this season in general is nothing to write home about.

Ralph clearly doesn't fancy AA or Redmond right now. I wonder if they are not showing enough in training. I don't like some of the way that AA has been used though. IMO Watford was a perfect game to help him regain confidence but instead the ineffective Smallbone was preferred and then AA was thrown into the City game while bereft of any confidence or form.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

None in 9 is poor, but you’ve massaged the 3 in 17 / 4 in 18 to suit your narrative, haven’t you?

In any case, what’s the answer? You think one of our starting strikers is in an abysmal run of form. What’s your suggested solution to that?

My solution is this season doesn't matter so play Armstrong/Tella to see if either are up to it and then take the rumoured £25m we have budgeted for Broja and look elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Armstrong has been selected over all 3 this season too. Its situational. Smallbone didn't start up front. Let's see who starts at Chelsea.

Armstrong aside, surely even you must admit Broja was awful today and hasn't been good for a fair while. 3 goals in 17 games isn't good enough. 6 goals this season in general is nothing to write home about.

Agree he wasn’t Great today or for past few games to be honest. 

Hes still miles better than Armstrong or any other alternative though, who’s shite, so simply has to start (unless we’re gonna Chuck long up there). 

In fairness to him and Che, we’ve been off the boil for the past 4 or 5 games in general. Not really creating enough. Funny enough, the only game I can really remember us having 2 or 3 clear cut chances of which we should have scored was City, which Armstrong blundered. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

My solution is this season doesn't matter so play Armstrong/Tella to see if either are up to it and then take the rumoured £25m we have budgeted for Broja and look elsewhere.

This season does matter though. There’s prestige for finishing higher up in the league, and there’s over £2m a place, both of which are very important come summer.

Ralph is to be trusted, and he clearly doesn’t like something about Armstrong. Same with Redmond. I don’t think we’ll sign Broja, I’m not sure we really want to (we made the right noises but know we’ve not really got a chance). Dropping Broja for either of those two, fine, not sure it tells Ralph much more than he already knows.

I hope Armstrong comes good, when he’s on it he looked like he’s got something about him. He just looks a bit startled by the lights too often. Almost seems to me he’d be better playing alongside a Pelle or Lambert type of striker.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Thought he had a cracking game from about 35mins onwards. Looked lost before that. 

Unfortunately Diallo is a bit like Yoshida in his early days - with not much game time, pretty much a bag of spanner’s left in a puddle, all the rust needs knocking off to get them to work properly. 

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

He'll have to miss the next game so I wonder who will partner Adams. 

Looks to be Tella or will RH once again put AA in again vs top class defenders?

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s long, to be honest. 

Ralph likes long against the bigger clubs. 

16 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Ralph clearly doesn't fancy AA or Redmond right now. I wonder if they are not showing enough in training. I don't like some of the way that AA has been used though. IMO Watford was a perfect game to help him regain confidence but instead the ineffective Smallbone was preferred and then AA was thrown into the City game while bereft of any confidence or form.

Wonder what's going on with Redmond as I'd have thought today would have been good for him, breaking into space, moving the ball up the pitch and creating chances.

44 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I wonder if Redmond has had COVID. Not on the bench

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Good game, loved it. Elland Road cracking ground. Good fans, so chilled and a good laugh. No pretensions and I really like their team. That Raphina was making lovely runs behind our line. His thinking was too fast for them to pick him out. A great game with the ref trying to screw it up. He really was one of the worst I’ve actually seen.

Really like our team and there is a decent one in there. Great view for the JWP goal. First time I thought this was going in with certainty since Le Tissier used to do it. Almost like a penalty.

God help us when Romeu goes off the boil. Really think he’ll be harder to replace than anyone.

Great atmosphere, easy to get in an out of and a proper old ground. Way better than Etihad or any of the event stadiums. Felt like an actual football match.

Will definitely go back. Loved it.

Didn’t get your head kicked in then like you were shitting it about then you absolute melt

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Kalvin Phillips. Now, I know I’m old and deeply unfashionable, but wtf?

3-C3-EDB17-55-F8-4-FDB-8-EC5-73-C80-B6-D

What an absolute weapon. He looks like a 1916 Bolshevik soldier, who was sh*gging some woman when her husband came home and had to make a quick exit out the bedroom window.

• Confused 1

Watched this one the Leeds end and drank before and after with Leeds fans although nice to bump into a few saints during the day. They were raving about JWP after.

draw a fair result, both teams pretty well organised defensively but offered little up front. Adams is a bloody brilliant footballer, has it all apart from being able to finish. 🙄 Their goal very soft, our goal brilliant free kick. 

assume Romeu was injured as we were controlling midfield at that point when he was subbed and obvious they’ve being Phillips on with 60/70 mins to go to try to wrestle back control, seemed crazy to take him off otherwise 

KWP great again, Broja poor again and Armstrong seems so far down the pecking order it beggars belief

Looked like and end of season game with two teams without much to play for slug it out, competent but lacking any real quality 

word on the fans, Leeds fans were good but watching our lot you barely heard them. Really poor. Travel all that way and stand/sit in silence, why?

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Watched this one the Leeds end and drank before and after with Leeds fans although nice to bump into a few saints during the day. They were raving about JWP after.

draw a fair result, both teams pretty well organised defensively but offered little up front. Adams is a bloody brilliant footballer, has it all apart from being able to finish. 🙄 Their goal very soft, our goal brilliant free kick. 

assume Romeu was injured as we were controlling midfield at that point when he was subbed and obvious they’ve being Phillips on with 60/70 mins to go to try to wrestle back control, seemed crazy to take him off otherwise 

KWP great again, Broja poor again and Armstrong seems so far down the pecking order it beggars belief

Looked like and end of season game with two teams without much to play for slug it out, competent but lacking any real quality 

word on the fans, Leeds fans were good but watching our lot you barely heard them. Really poor. Travel all that way and stand/sit in silence, why?

A mate's son is doing a tour of  all 92 League grounds (in the away section) and today was ground 25 - Elland Road. His report included the words "first time I've wanted to be in the home end" 🤣 For what it's worth he also thought the pies were shit.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Adams is a bloody brilliant footballer, has it all apart from being able to finish. 🙄

It’s strange isn’t it. Outside of the box and in build up he’s really good. so, so strong it’s unbelievable. 

However, inside the box and putting the ball away, i think if we’re generous, hes really poor. He just lacks composure which is something that can’t be taught. But I guess that’s why he plays for us and not a bigger, better team. 

When he has a partner who’s scoring it’s fine, but we really need him to step up and take these chances. We’re not good enough to accommodate someone who isn’t putting them away. 

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Odd - atmosphere seemed really good in away end. Lots of singling. Great atmosphere all round I thought. 

40 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Odd - atmosphere seemed really good in away end. Lots of singling. Great atmosphere all round I thought. 

Honestly barely heard the saints fans, apart from  couple of rounds of OWTSGMI and James ward Prowse songs after he scored. Really very quiet considering the numbers 

52 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s strange isn’t it. Outside of the box and in build up he’s really good. so, so strong it’s unbelievable. 

However, inside the box and putting the ball away, i think if we’re generous, hes really poor. He just lacks composure which is something that can’t be taught. But I guess that’s why he plays for us and not a bigger, better team. 

When he has a partner who’s scoring it’s fine, but we really need him to step up and take these chances. We’re not good enough to accommodate someone who isn’t putting them away. 

He was quite composed today, his turn inside the area was class, but rather than smash it home it was more of a flick which gave the keeper the chance to make a save. He’s a developed into a really good player, his touch, passing, strength is really good, it’s just that ruthlessness in front of goal but like you say that’s why he plays for us not one of the top teams. 

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I think it was Bobby Charlton who said that, when he signed with Man U, he was told that he needed to be much better with both feet. So he spent hours and hours practising just by hitting a ball against a wall, one hour with his left then one hour with his right.

Nowadays it’s just accepted that professional players might be entirely shit on their wrong foot. Paul Merson exemplified this, really good player but simply had no left foot ability at all.

It was Bobby Charlton, Matt busby told told to kick the ball against a wall with both feet for a hour a day.

That’s why futsal is so good for young players as it teaches to play with both feet

Very disappointed by Broja today. He hardly won an aerial challenge. In the short time he was on the pitch Long won more in the air. The timing of the match was poor. We had a lot of stoppages in the second half, I had 8 to go but Mr Taylor added only 5. And then he stopped play when he hadn't even reached 4 extra minutes. Not that I minded as I was very happy with the point.

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Wonder what's going on with Redmond as I'd have thought today would have been good for him, breaking into space, moving the ball up the pitch and creating chances.

I have a feeling he will be off at the end of the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if we shipped a few out, it will be refreshing if we have more control over who stays and goes and who we can buy under the new regime. 

10 hours ago, Stud mark of doom said:

That’s what I thought. The irony of being criticised from a Saints fan stood with the Leeds fans sums the poster up to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1