Leeds 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Just now, SaintTex said:

Lucky to get a point from that. 

I wouldn't say lucky. Leeds might have just edged it in terms of possession in the attacking third, but they didn't create any more than we did and we had more shots on target in the end.

Well deserved point I reckon.

• Like 2

Got our captain to thank for this one. Broja's form has continued to be poor. For a player that likely won't be here next season, I feel we should be giving more minutes to Adam Armstrong to build his confidence.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 7

Decent point to stop run of defeats at a side in some form, JWP another master class free kick. Forward line needs a major summer overhaul.

Brentford will get the headlines today, stunning drubbing given to Chelsea on their own patch by their neighbours.

Talking of derbies, Obafemi popular in Swansea after 2 goals sparked another 4 goal away win at Cardiff. Brighton entertainment again, goalless home to Norwich and missed pen. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Confused 1

Our forwards were poor throughout, Che being better of the two

The long throws are now hilarious

I prefer KwP RB and Perraud LB.  But a good problem to have with Livramento

Ralph really does not rate A.Armstong.  Can see him being loaned in the summer

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

A point was fair on the day. Not an awful lot from either side really. We did need a special strike from JWP though, with us not creating much in the second half. Long's misfire at the end was about as good a chance as it got after the break. Diallo got in some good challenges in his own box, even if there was a little worry for one of them from me. I would have liked to have seen us really press them, but  there wasn;t much of that. Although not at his best today, Romeu's positional sense was missed when he went off. See midweek comments hinting at contract negotiations being a little far apart.

Thank god JWP can score because our forwards sure can't. Poor miss from Adams but atleast had a chance Broja another game completely anonymous. 3 goals in 18 games now. Livramento, KWP, Diallo, Salisu all played well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintTex said:

Lucky to get a point from that. 

we had a couple of short spells, but by and large Leeds were the better side, without creating a huge amount. I think a point was a good one.

The best thing for me was for once we never seemed to leave ourselves short or be caught on the break - which is a good sign.

Thought Leeds' press in midfield was excellent and the likes of Romeu and JWP gave the ball away a lot more than usual due to the `swarm'. We gave the ball away a hell of a lot. Mis-controls, trying to do to much, not enough options...

I thought both our forwards were under par and didn't do enough, although a lot of balls to them were hoofed clearances. Ralph was slow to take Che off who looked very tired. Broja had little impact. Tella looked bright. Not convinced Diallo did enough to displace Amstrong, but then again, Armstrong had no impact when he came on. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Woman's football has become like coronavirus over the last couple years. Nobody wants it, but its fucking everywhere......

Yeah, they're desperate to give it equal gravitas. Today's clash of WSL titans West Ham v Man City...................played out in front of 300 punters at Dagenham & Redbridge's 1 star ground.

Anyway, take that point today and move on. Important to arrest the slide. Gotta say as well, Broja is nowhere near ready for Chelsea's first team. Would love him to stay for another season here and I think his poor form lately might give us a chance.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Our forwards were poor throughout, Che being better of the two

The long throws are now hilarious

I prefer KwP RB and Perraud LB.  But a good problem to have with Livramento

Ralph really does not rate A.Armstong.  Can see him being loaned in the summer

He’s crap. 6th choice now, Long, Tella and even smallbone been preferred to him in recent weeks. 

I think we’ve slightly changed how we play or teams have sussed us out, don’t seem to create anywhere near as much as we were 10 or so games ago. 

That Joe Gelhardt looks a player.

I feel Ralph was testing Diallo today by giving him the 90 minutes and moving him into Romeu's role in the second half. He started slowly but I think he did well overall with some decent moments. He's still got a few mistakes in him though.

Edited by Disco Stu

1-1 definitely the fair result.

KWP was my MOTM, only player I’d give a 8.

JWP a 7 because of his free kick. I think Meslier will be upset he didn’t save it as he got a hand but it was still a top effort and take nothing away from it. 

I think everyone else was pretty much a 6 though, Forster/Livramento a 5 but picked it up a bit in the 2nd half. 

As for the ref, I think a 6 too. Broja was fouled once or twice and gave nothing, but correctly didn’t give Leeds a penalty twice. 

We can discuss the handball too, personally I didn’t think it should be a penalty too but when you see some of the others we have conceded over the years then I have seen those given. 

Overall though, we march on, annoyingly though it will be against a Chelsea side looking for redemption for today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Decent point to stop run of defeats at a side in some form, JWP another master class free kick. Forward line needs a major summer overhaul.

Brentford will get the headlines today, stunning drubbing given to Chelsea on their own patch by their neighbours.

Talking of derbies, Obafemi popular in Swansea after 2 goals sparked another 4 goal away win at Cardiff. Brighton entertainment again, goalless home to Norwich and missed pen. 

That's the third time in the last month, Obafemi has scored 2 goals. At the rate he's progressing, he'll be converting those into hat-tricks soon..

1 minute ago, Nordic Saint said:

That's the third time in the last month, Obafemi has scored 2 goals. At the rate he's progressing, he'll be converting those into hat-tricks soon..

Looks like the lad's got his head down, pleased for him.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TWar said:

Broja another game completely anonymous. 3 goals in 18 games now. 

think it's 4 goals in last 18 rather than 3. It's certainly four Prem goals in last 16 games and one FA cup goal in 4 games. 4 of those games he came on as a sub. You're the stat man though, so I'm sure you will put me straight.

I agree with you though that he didn't do enough today. Service wasn't great (too long and hoofed hopefully) at times, but I thought he wasn't sharp enough and didn't press hard enough. I thought he retained possession a lot better than Che, who, I thought was poor, giving the ball away a lot. The only thing I recall about Broja's performance was that had a couple of good opportunities to break. One, he showed great pace but was fouled, leading to their goal, the other he was either fouled or dived, not sure. If the former, he should have been stronger and taken the opportunity not go to ground. Overall though, he just wasn't enough of a pest and just didn't sprint hard enough to close players down. 

Edited by Chez

Couple of points…Broja is not worth busting a gut to sign. 
Perraud should be a starter. 
we need a proper keeper. 
KWP is fantastic but really should play in his natural position. Shoehorning Tino is detrimental to the side. 
Ralph needs to stop these brain farts and tinkering. 
Both with the starting 11 or with the match day squad. 
he isn’t that clever. 

• Like 2

A good draw, I think it was fair. I don't think either side could have said they could have been comfortable winners, we both had chances. 

It was a bit frantic and I thought that favoured Leeds more than us, but that's how they play and we should have been aware of it. That's how they started the game, and it was like we had to be 'wound up' and put into gear, after 10mins or so we got a foothold. Typically they score when we're having a decent spell, but that's the way it goes - shocking goal keeping in my eyes. Livramento ball watching too.

2nd half we started well, could have gone 2-1 - and maybe should have, but over all I think a draw is far.

Really good performance from Che today, he caused them all sorts of problems. Ely was clever in his movement in our transitions, but apart from that the 'attack' didn't really function. When you compare our '10's' with what Leeds had (Raphinia/Harrison) you can see that we are still a few levels behind in that quality department, in my opinion. Stu improves our number 10 position immeasurably when he plays, without him we're too slow and laboured (and even Stu isn't that quick)

Tino grew into the game, but he was pretty sloppy it has to be said. KWP grew into the game as well and then started marauding down the flank as we know he can.

Need Broja to get back into the groove though, he's really off it at the moment and his overall game is coming across as frustrated - which doesn't help.

Draw stops the rot, lets' see what next weekend brings.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Need Broja to get back into the groove though, he's really off it at the moment and his overall game is coming across as frustrated - which doesn't help.

He’s 20. He’s really starting too many games. I imagine at the start of the season Ralph thought he could rotate his strikers, so for some games Broja could sit out or make an impact from the bench. The Adam Armstrong signing clearly hasn’t worked out well and Ralph doesn’t fancy him, and Shane Long is Shane Long. We’ve basically got Broja plus 3 other “second” strikers.

If we don’t keep Broja there’s definitely a lot of work to be done up front as none of our others look like they’ll regularly hit double figures in the league.

• Like 1

Just now, The Kraken said:

He’s 20. He’s really starting too many games. I imagine at the start of the season Ralph thought he could rotate his strikers, so for some games Broja could sit out or make an impact from the bench. The Adam Armstrong signing clearly hasn’t worked out well and Ralph doesn’t fancy him, and Shane Long is Shane Long. We’ve basically got Broja plus 3 other “second” strikers.

If we don’t keep Broja there’s definitely a lot of work to be done up front as none of our others look like they’ll regularly hit double figures in the league.

Exactly, he's a young lad having the predictable drop off. Always going to happen, like you said though the quality behind him is non-existent sadly. The club will obviously support Armstrong but there's no doubt that he has been really disappointing. Not even threatening to force his way in.

Long getting on before Armstrong is a bit of a nail in his coffin though, you'd have to say. Loan for him next season for his sake.

27 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Decent point, but the midfield formation seemed baffling.

Diallo to the right of a three was it? He did pretty much nothing. He seems more comfortable when its just two. Romeu and JWP struggled with the lack of time and space. 

Maybe Ralph felt he had to do something, after the defeats. We didn't get caught o the break much, like we have been, but maybe because Leeds had the ball mre and we spent a lot of time running after them rather than dominating.

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Diallo to the right of a three was it? He did pretty much nothing. He seems more comfortable when its just two. Romeu and JWP struggled with the lack of time and space. 

Maybe Ralph felt he had to do something, after the defeats. We didn't get caught o the break much, like we have been, but maybe because Leeds had the ball mre and we spent a lot of time running after them rather than dominating.

According to Solent, it was initially Diallo on the left. Then a diamond when Romeu came off.

5 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

According to Solent, it was initially Diallo on the left. Then a diamond when Romeu came off.

Yes, my mistake, he was on the left first half. Jogged around looking like he didn't really know what he was meant to do. More involved when in the middle, but wouldn't say he ran the game in any way. Very congested midfield area all game. Leeds midfielders were relentless in their hussle. 

It's tiring watching Adams give up really good chances because he has no faith in his left foot. 

He created the chance in the first half brilliantly then tamely flicked it with the outside of his right, when every other forward would have slotted home with his left. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought he looked alright in a 3 against Brentford, he's certainly good enough but he didn't do much today at all. 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yes, my mistake, he was on the left first half. Jogged around looking like he didn't really know what he was meant to do. More involved when in the middle, but wouldn't say he ran the game in any way. Very congested midfield area all game. Leeds midfielders were relentless in their hussle. 

Thought our tactics played into Leeds hands a little. Their defence and especially midfield is often manic in its pressing but their downfall is that if the press doesn’t work they leave themselves hugely exposed. They’ve conceded 68 goals so far which shows how open they are as a side. I feel we set up to solidify our midfield rather than to exploit the gaps in theirs.

Can’t complain with a point though.

12 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

It's tiring watching Adams give up really good chances because he has no faith in his left foot. 

He created the chance in the first half brilliantly then tamely flicked it with the outside of his right, when every other forward would have slotted home with his left. 

I don’t get it - what do footballers do in training all week if they are so uncomfortable using their weaker foot. Adams should be shown the 50 odd chances spurned by him by his refusal to use his left. You don’t get that extra second in the premier league so you might as well use your left. 

• Like 3