Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, TWar said:

you can currently get 259-1 odds at us getting relegated. If you genuinely feel this way put some money on it, you'll make a killing.

Wouldn't bet against my team regardless of how much money I would get but look at the table and you'll see its closed up

Well that was wretched. Chelsea are a much more expensively put together team of more talented players. They’ve had a stinging week, and we had an opportunity to capitalise on that. But to do so, we needed to be towards our best.

With 4 at the back, we offered no defensive cover from midfield.

Worse, we once again played KWP out of position, and that widened that centre half pairing. So, they cut us apart. Everyone on the planet can see that Perraud on the left and KWP on the right is the better balance. But that’s everyone on the planet except for Ralph and he’s stubborn enough to think that he’s right about it. The club do get to show the pathway to future Chelsea academy students looking for first team action. Yes! Get first team football in a team that messes with its balance just to fit you in! Have no fear of being dropped, because the manager will dig in with his opinions.

I’d like to think that Romeu just isn’t 100%. There was the comment about new pastures recently, but hopefully that’s not taken the edge off his game. But removing him, to go three at the back, offered even less cover, and they cut us open effortlessly just as easily.

Diallo eventually came on for Livramento, so we still didn’t have the balance we needed. But the game was long gone by then.

This is probably the players we’re going to be going with until the end of the season. Redmond is frozen out. Perraud must be wondering what he has to do to get a start. If McCarthy was fit, no doubt Ralph would be persisting with him rather than Forster who kept today down below double figures. It seems to me that we make it clear to players we want to move on, by limiting their minutes. Focusing on pathways, rather than points, when we think we’re safe for the season. I can understand the cold logic of it. But it makes for some poor performances.

We are miles off the quick, high pressing game that troubled opponents earlier in the season. That’s where Ralph’s drive makes the team better than its individual parts. We’re probably mediocre at best without that. When Ralph messes about with tactics, personnel and balance we’re worse than mediocre. And it seems to take a long time for anything to change, and we get slumps like this.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Very very poor. Ralph needs to motivate his players better, has been obvious we were on the beach for some time. Dreadful displays from our best players in JWP, Salisu, Romeu, Stu, Moi. KWP I thought did well as did Forster and Smallbone when he came on.

I think calling to sack the manager is silly given we are still one point off top half and many predicted relegation preseason but he has definitely failed to motivate his team.

For me this sort of performance is beyond poor. These guys are professional footballers, they should be motivated for every game. Sure, we are going to lose more than we win, but for fuck's sake this is 6-0 at home. It shouldn't be happening. I just ask as a fan, that my club has players that don't throw in the towel and give up. That's what today was. They gave up and that is unacceptable.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

For me this sort of performance is beyond poor. These guys are professional footballers, they should be motivated for every game. Sure, we are going to lose more than we win, but for fuck's sake this is 6-0 at home. It shouldn't be happening. I just ask as a fan, that my club has players that don't throw in the towel and give up. That's what today was. They gave up and that is unacceptable.

It’s been happening for 3 seasons now. It won’t change under this manager. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Behave. It was bad, but it's basically impossible for us to be relegated this season. (Because teams have to play each other and all pass Saints).

Glad you're confident,table not as comfortable as you think.love to know where u see where our next point is coming from 

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

We’re doing the same as last season, think we’re safe and rock up like it’s a training session. That is down to the poor manager. 
We pay dam good money and don’t expect that. 
Another 20 game poor run is looking possible again.

Last season we had massive injury issues. This year we just seem to have lost motivation. Still nowhere near as bad as last season. I think we won as many games in February this season as we did in the entire second half of last season from Jan 16th onwards. (Don't know exact numbers as am out, before someone is pedantic)

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Saints poor and unlucky, Chelsea good and lucky, ref poor.

All ingredients for a fantastic day.

Wrong on all accounts. 

saints lucky Werner can’t finish, or it would have been 10. 

chelsea unlucky Forster turned up. 

ref, had nothing to do. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I agree with what you are saying but a strike force of Adams and Armstrong hardly fills the rest of the team with much confidence I would have thought.

We are certainly going to struggle next season unless we get in a decent striker and who would want to come to St Mary's

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m not calling for Ralph out but Christ we need an overhaul of the shit at this club.

Players have contracts and it's hard to shift average. We basically have Long and Forster out of contract this summer. We are a £90m debt. We have an ownership that intends to continue the spend what you earn. What do you suggest?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Saints poor and unlucky, Chelsea good and lucky, ref poor.

All ingredients for a fantastic day.

Chelsea lucky, good one. The only good luck on display was their benevolence in the last half hour so, and Forsters numerous saves. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

my son still waiting to see a Saints win since arriving on this planet on the 3rd March....

Little did you know that when you changed him this morning that it wasn't the worst pile of liquid shit you were going to see today...

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Wrong on all accounts. 

saints lucky Werner can’t finish, or it would have been 10. 

chelsea unlucky Forster turned up. 

ref, had nothing to do. 

Yep 👍

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Chelsea lucky, good one. The only good luck on display was their benevolence in the last half hour so, and Forsters numerous saves. 

they did get a little lucky with some rebounds, but equally they hit the woodwork twice when scoring looked easier for one of those chances. 9 or 10 could easily have happened. We created one fantastic chance that Adams completely fluffed, which I found as annoying as some of the defensive fuck ups.

Edited by Chez

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Last season we had massive injury issues. This year we just seem to have lost motivation. Still nowhere near as bad as last season. I think we won as many games in February this season as we did in the entire second half of last season from Jan 16th onwards. (Don't know exact numbers as am out, before someone is pedantic)

Loss of motivation is down to the manager.

• Like 1

Newcastle and Leeds will definitely be stronger next season, as will Everton if they survive. We absolutely need to sort this team out by signing some quality players or we will be in big trouble next season.

I like Ralph but maybe in the summer it is time to make a change of manager and freshen stuff up. Vieira for example took a Palace team that were used to treading water under Hodgson (much like us) to a more attacking team that will probably finish top half.

• Like 2

That 1st half was the poorest we've been all season. We were second best all over the pitch today and if it weren't for Fraser it would have been more. The amount of times we were cut open I couldn't believe. Fraser and KWP were good today but that was it. The rest of the team were way below par. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmysaint7 said:

Glad you're confident,table not as comfortable as you think.love to know where u see where our next point is coming from 

Burnley have 9 games left including a home game against us and some other winnable games. I don't think we'll go down but we do need to show some character or Burnley could scrape past us. It shouldn't happen but we have lapsed into one of our spells where wins do not look likely.

• Like 2

Just now, Saints foreva said:

How exactly were we unlucky? 🤣

Half of Chelsea’s goals came from the ball dropping to them after good saves. Like I said, Saints were poor and Chelsea were good, and well worth the win, but we were unlucky to lose so heavily.

• Haha 8

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Half of Chelsea’s goals came from the ball dropping to them after good saves. Like I said, Saints were poor and Chelsea were good, and well worth the win, but we were unlucky to lose so heavily.

Wow, just wow. We were lucky it was only 6. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Jesus wept. 

We got battered, and were lucky it was only 6.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

it happens. Perhaps more worrying is the series of performances we are currently in. Lets see how we respond. That is perhaps gojng to be more revealing. It's a bad day, but having lots of them in a row is the bigger issue.

The team can perform, we've seen it this season... and fair enough Chelsea are what they are but, man, these results really mess up my mood and weekend.

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

Just checked the results after travelling. 

ouch 😓 

sounds like a shocker with many of the hallmarks of Ralph’s other thumping defeats 

someone needs to analyse why his team is prone to such inconsistencies and calamities 

we were very open, Chelsea players ran into huge empty spaces. players weren't tracked. We weren't quick enough to stay with them. Our players didn't keep the ball well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

😧

Ralphs not perfect. His lack of ability to motivate the team is a big reason why we are sliding away from top half and towards lower mid table.

I just feel in a season where the most optimistic posters were thinking we'd get about 12th and the consensus was 17th-20th a season where we are comfortably safe by march and 1 point off 9th is pretty good tbh and people shouldn't piss the bed over a bad afternoon against the champions of europe.

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

The ball dropping for the opposition.... yes, it happens, but after a while and it keep happening doesn't it also raise a question as to where our players are in order to make it more difficult for the opponent, or even preventing them from simply 'tapping it in'.

0-9,9-0 and now 0-6. I accept there were some other factors contributing to first two (the Man Utd game especially), but we do seem to have more than our fair share of bad luck. Surprising that no other team in our division has had the same level of bad luck in the last three years. 

• Like 2

Just now, TWar said:

Ralphs not perfect. His lack of ability to motivate the team is a big reason why we are sliding away from top half and towards lower mid table. I just feel in a season where the most optimistic posters were thinking we'd get about 12th and the consensus was 17th-20th a season where we are comfortably safe by march is pretty good tbh and people shouldn't piss the bed over a bad afternoon against the champions of europe.

4 home defeats in a row is the worry and performance’s getting worse.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ButtikonSaint said:

The team can perform, we've seen it this season... and fair enough Chelsea are what they are but, man, these results really mess up my mood and weekend.

hell yeah. Losing is bad, but losing without laying a glove is hard to take. It was like watching a lower league side play a Prem side. I guess with the monetary divide in the top flight, it is almost like that, but with a £113m wage bill, I still expect us to compete, even if their wage bill is three times that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ralphs not perfect. His lack of ability to motivate the team is a big reason why we are sliding away from top half and towards lower mid table.

I just feel in a season where the most optimistic posters were thinking we'd get about 12th and the consensus was 17th-20th a season where we are comfortably safe by march and 1 point off 9th is pretty good tbh and people shouldn't piss the bed over a bad afternoon against the champions of europe.

Not sure I agree about him unable to motivate.

we are a lower mid table side. it's just when you win away at spurs and are flying, you think perhaps we are something more. We're not.

• Like 2

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

4 home defeats in a row is the worry and performance’s getting worse.

Yeah it's annoying, I'm not disagreeing with you, we have lost motivation and have been playing like we are on the beach for a while. We need new talent in attacking mid, defence, and up top. These things can all be true whilst also acknowledging we've had a good season and the manager who has given us that good season should be allowed to spend in the summer the money new ownership seems to be bringing to the table.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

hell yeah. Losing is bad, but losing without laying a glove is hard to take. It was like watching a lower league side play a Prem side. I guess with the monetary divide in the top flight, it is almost like that, but with a £113m wage bill, I still expect us to compete, even if their wage bill is three times that.

No it wasn't. Most lower league sides tend to throw everything at the opposition and make them work for their win. Our soft bastards just get into their ferrari's afterwards, piss off back to their mansions and life of luxury. No spirit, no fight, no need. As Alan Ball remarked about his Man City team , they're not bothered, "I'm talking to eleven millionaires here".

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

Not sure I agree about him unable to motivate.

we are a lower mid table side. it's just when you win away at spurs and are flying, you think perhaps we are something more. We're not.

Something has changed between February and March, I'm not sure what it is as we are basically the same team. A bunch of players who looked great (Salisu, Romeu, Stu, JWP, Adams) have been having off games and a few players who looked ok (Bednarek, Broja, Moi) have been very poor. I have to assume it's motivation. People are blaming dropping Perraud as it's the only thing thats changed but that doesn't explain the stark difference between Salisu, JWP, Romeu today and, for example, their performances against City and Spurs earlier in the year.

Good players don't become bad overnight, I think they just realised we don't have much to play for and aren't fighting as hard as teams avoiding the drop or going for europe.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

Players have contracts and it's hard to shift average. We basically have Long and Forster out of contract this summer. We are a £90m debt. We have an ownership that intends to continue the spend what you earn. What do you suggest?

Sell JWP Redmond and Tino

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Something has changed between February and March, I'm not sure what it is as we are basically the same team. A bunch of players who looked great (Salisu, Romeu, Stu, JWP, Adams) have been having off games and a few players who looked ok (Bednarek, Broja, Moi) have been very poor. I have to assume it's motivation. People are blaming dropping Perraud as it's the only thing thats changed but that doesn't explain the stark difference between Salisu, JWP, Romeu today and, for example, their performances against City and Spurs earlier in the year.

Good players don't become bad overnight, I think they just realised we don't have much to play for and aren't fighting as hard as teams avoiding the drop or going for europe.

In my book that's unexcusable. The minium I expect is to show fight and some passion. 

• Like 2