Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, Nemi said:

Perraud has to be on second half, even if Livramento stays on I don’t care, but we can’t keep going on playing a diamond midfield when one of our full-backs - who we’re relying on for width - has to constantly cut in.

Might aswell even push Walker-Peters further forward, he looks our only threat, but we need a left-footer at left-back desperately

KWP attacking down the left and cutting in looks brilliant but when he's back in the LB position he constantly looks under pressure. He should either be playing right of defence or left of midfield.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Salisus worst game. Our best cb but today might be the worst cb display I've seen all season. How is this the same guy who looks so incredible against city?

Because he is young and still learning the game, and doing it in the Premier League against clubs who have a budget for their Academy greater than we do for our first team.  We absorb the up and down performances as he learns his craft and sell him for four times the amount we paid him.  This is quite literally the model the club operates under.

As for today, everyone has had an off day and the same club who suffer from a gross lack of investment in the squad has run into one which does not and is on it.  Yes we've given them gifts but this is why our players play for us - they are up and down and do not have the consistency.  The moment they do, they are off to a club who will pay them more.  It's been like this for years, I don't know why people get so upset when we get thumped by the big teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

If you want to play KWP and Tino then put one of them into the #10 slot and have Perraud at LB.

Perraud has not only been really good but he's chippy, gets stuck in and shows determination. The players on the pitch today could take a leaf out of his book and get fucking stuck in.

I'm tired of the way this team just fucking self implodes and gives up. 

I never want to see Bednarek in a Saints shirt, ever again. 

Exactly, if both Livramento and Walker-Peters both have to play, KWP is more than capable of playing further up. Even if he plays left-wing at least heI’ll have a left-footer in Perraud able to overlap on their strong-foot

• Like 1

You really can't afford to have a half arsed attitude in any game in this league. Do it against the current European champions and well y'know.  I'd have to pile in and say this fucking infuriating insistence on Livramento plus out of position KWP is fucking ridiculous. Our best form this season came when we didn't have it. Go fucking figure Ralph FFS.

• Like 3

Obviously the opposition are far superior in quality but that was an absolute mess. Both centre backs all over the place. Midfield offering no protection at all. Could easily be 6 or 7.

A couple of months ago I was worried we'd lose Salisu in the summer but his recent form should ensure we have him next season too. Desperately need to get him a quality partner and sort out our kamikaze midfield though. 

Perraud should be playing and if I was Redmond I'd be fuming at Armstrong or Elyounoussi starting ahead of me.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

RH just doesn't know when to stop tinkering. 

It's like Ferrari getting a bunch of good races and then deciding to completely change the car for no reason. 

"Mattia, after such great races, 19th and 20th today, can you explain why you went with only 3 wheels and a 6 foot rear wing?".

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

KWP attacking down the left and cutting in looks brilliant but when he's back in the LB position he constantly looks under pressure. He should either be playing right of defence or left of midfield.

Yeah spot on, I’m happy for him playing on the left as long as he has an actual left-back with him as he’s decent cutting in, but without a left-back opening up the space for him he just gets easily shuffled down the line by the opposition defence. 

Its impossible for him to even cut in at the moment cause he’s getting no support out there

2 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Exactly, if both Livramento and Walker-Peters both have to play, KWP is more than capable of playing further up. Even if he plays left-wing at least heI’ll have a left-footer in Perraud able to overlap on their strong-foot

Playing KWP even more out of position ain't a great idea for me. 

At last the walking football exposed for what it is, Garbage. The defence and midfield were so slow trying to play possession go nowhere slow motion passing and losing possession. Chelsea have exploited it by pressing and quick clever breaks pulling the defenders all over the place. How the hell did Elyanoussi  stay on the field. What a slowcoach. Liveramento looks lost. Well played Forster.

Our system and personnel being shown up for what it is. 

It's fine if everyone plays 8/10 with a couple of 9/10s, it'll get results but as soon as we see some 6/10s it just doesn't work at all and makes us worse. 

Many of the players have questionable temperaments so a collapse is always a possibility.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Playing KWP even more out of position ain't a great idea for me. 

Trust me I want him at RB too but if Livramento isn’t getting dropped then we need an actual left-back in that position. It will be far easier for the whole team with KWP playing out of position on the further up on wing than in defence - we desperately need some width and it’s not happening with a right-footer at left-back. 

Just now, obelisk said:

AA must be a bit miffed at that.

Had to happen, he's not big enough to win the big punts forward to relieve pressure and we need another midfielder. He'll get it, I'd imagine.

6 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Because he is young and still learning the game, and doing it in the Premier League against clubs who have a budget for their Academy greater than we do for our first team.  We absorb the up and down performances as he learns his craft and sell him for four times the amount we paid him.  This is quite literally the model the club operates under.

As for today, everyone has had an off day and the same club who suffer from a gross lack of investment in the squad has run into one which does not and is on it.  Yes we've given them gifts but this is why our players play for us - they are up and down and do not have the consistency.  The moment they do, they are off to a club who will pay them more.  It's been like this for years, I don't know why people get so upset when we get thumped by the big teams.

Fair enough Vs the big boys.

Please explain how that works against the mighty Watford, Villa and Newcastle, when we also were total garbage and looked disinterested and all over the place ??

No press, passing for the sake of passing and giving it away cheaply. 
Something has changed in the last 6 weeks, and it happens every game. Either the players have given up trying or the manager is not motivating them.

Something has gone wrong behind the scenes in my opinion. My guess is that it has something to do with Salisu who has gone from being superb and fully committed to couldn't give a toss. Also the Redmond thing. Something has happened in the camp to destroy the team ethic and morale. Don't think JWP has looked happy recently either. Poison is spreading through the squad.

Edited by Teddeer

1 minute ago, egg said:

Yep, but there's people suggesting left wing/midfield!! 

I’m not, I want him at right-back, but with Livramento somehow unstoppable for Ralph, if KWP has to play on the left I’d rather have him as a right-footed left-winger which many teams do, rather than a right-footed left-back which barely any teams do because it doesn’t work having a full back forced to cut in.

Just now, Nemi said:

I’m not, I want him at right-back, but with Livramento somehow unstoppable for Ralph, if KWP has to play on the left I’d rather have him as a right-footed left-winger which many teams do, rather than a right-footed left-back which barely any teams do because it doesn’t work having a full back forced to cut in.

He's not a winger mate. He's a full back, and a good one. The problem of him playing out of position ain't solved by him playing even more out of position. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic