Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

14 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

That win for Brentford probably wont do us any favours

As opposed to the Champions of Europe winning vs Brentford and being full of confidence when we play them? You can turn it into a negative either way.

I think what is more key is the fixture sandwich in the opening post of this thread. Chelsea have very little in the way of recovery and preparation time with two games vs Real Madrid either side of playing Saints.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

That win for Brentford probably wont do us any favours

If they'd have won 4-1 it wouldn't have done us any favours either tbh.

Good side, good players - better than ours, so we'll need to be on it and hope for that bit of luck and then see what happens. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Chelsea - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
1 hour ago, OldNick said:

We can’t play Broja so that is a problem

Might be the day for AA to seize the opportunity and step up to plate - or Redders is straight in to serve up a worldie 

……….. of course Tella is back to blind the defence with his smile and run amok 

• Like 1

We're the underdogs, sure....but this has to be the best time to be playing them. Turmoil at Stamford Bridge, low morale and they surely need to prioritise the Champions League v Real Madrid. Am hoping they're still in it after the first leg, then there must be a chance we face their B team. 

Forster; Tino-Bednarek-Salisu-KWP; Stu-JWP-Romeu-Elyounoussi; Adams-Long

The above is what I think Ralph will play.

My preference is similar except for Tella over Long and to play a 4141 (with Elyounoussi dropping to CM as he does for Norway)

Also would like a combination of Redmond/Djenepo/Adam Armstrong to get some minutes, pace would be useful to stretch them and also we should use the remaining 8 games to decide who of the 2023 expirees we want to give a new contract to etc etc

I can see a Chelsea 1-0 smash and grab for some reason, think we will play some good football but Lukaku to score as he often does against us. He has 9 goals in 13 PL games against us, joint 2nd for the opponent he has scored most against in PL matches only.

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Tella, Longy are Adam A????

I reckon he will go with Tella.  Will have no idea why if he does!

Probably because he is like a bottle shaken pop - and an apprentice of Longy in being a proper pain in the arse. In the immortal words of Corporal Jones (defenders) they don’t like it up em! 😜

5 hours ago, Micky said:

We've had points from City, United, Spurs. No reason why we shouldn't be looking for points from this one too.

Could do with them, there's a few teams behind us in the table ready ready to overtake if we lose to Chelsea and Arsenal 

They have issues, the whole selling/Abrammovich thing I think has caused instability, then there is several of their players being out of contract as well, add in a those games against Real Madrid, I think we certainly have a chance as we can beat anyone on our day and even more so if a good team like this has an off day. 

1 hour ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Hopefully we can do a Brentford. My only concern is Long may play in place of Broja. I always hope Long will prove my lack of confidence in him is wrong. Still waiting.

Long seems to be in favour at the moment, assuming we're not going to offer him a new contract and he leaves in the summer would make more sense to play Armstrong and see if he can find some form. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 15:47, Micky said:

We've had points from City, United, Spurs. No reason why we shouldn't be looking for points from this one too.

Main difference being when we took points off said sides, we were in a good run of form… not so much now. 

I just worry about our scoring ability at the moment. Broja has gone off the boil (and can't play on Saturday anyway) and the rest of our forwards are awfully profligate. 

We gave them a proper game in the cup earlier in the season, so we know we can compete with them, but to get anything out of this game we'll need to rely on our strikers actually taking their chances and for Chelsea to waste theirs.

This is still a strong Chelsea team but with Brentford smashing them they are definitely up for another beating. Most of their defence is off in the summer to Barcelona (apparently) so some of their heads may be in other places, and not to mention they are still in the Champions League against Madrid which may be on their minds too.

That said their recent form before Brentford is actually quite good, so it could go either way. I'd take a draw to be honest but I don't see why, if we can try to capture our performances of 5/6 games ago, we can't get the 3 points.

Strongest team again please - I think questions can only be asked of the striking positions - Adams and Armstrong for me. I'd like to see them play together as the season peters out.

Think a 4231 will suit this game better with Che up top…controlling midfield will be key IMO. Would have Tella, Stuey and Eli in the forward three and obvs JWP and Romeu in front defence. I’d also rest Tino and have KWP and Perraud at full-back to provide more balance in defence. Would put money on Ralph not doing this and starting Long. Think we’ll lose anyway, so it’s all conjecture. 1-3.

2 hours ago, Yozzman said:

Probably thinking about how Forster has been performing lately.

Even in the last game where everyone was slating him he made some saves that the commentators were purring about so people just have favourites and that's it. Forster is marginally less shit than McCarthy, in my book.

Edited by DT
  • Like 2

Chelsea 0-2 Real Madrid

Two crosses converted beautifully by Benzema’s head - the first one really was a peach of a header too.

I’m sure Ralph is watching… might give him ideas to just get crosses into Shane Long :D 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic