Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

I was referring to the massive drop in form between February and March, Broja didn't look great in February. The others I listed did. 

Maybe you missed the Man City, Spurs, Man United and Everton games, all in February, where Broja was outstanding. Ah, forget it. I don't know why I even read your posts. You've made you mind up and nothing I type is going to change that. You are entitled your opinion and when you argued that we shouldn't be spending £40m on him you had a point, but that seems to have morphed into rewriting history.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Maybe you missed the Man City, Spurs, Man United and Everton games, all in February, where Broja was outstanding. Ah, forget it. I don't know why I even read your posts. You've made you mind up and nothing I type is going to change that. You are entitled your opinion and when you argued that we shouldn't be spending £40m on him you had a point, but that seems to have morphed into rewriting history.

I think we do agree then, as hes good just not £40m good

16 minutes ago, nta786 said:

It’s been known for a while it’s either feast or famine.

Right now we’re being starved. 

On that note, to change topic - I wonder if Ramadan is affecting Salisu? Is he fasting?

Of course it hasn’t impacted Benzema, Kante, Salah, Mane etc etc but not all professional athletes will be the same.

the injury knocked him out of his stride. Perhaps he aint got back to full sharpness? Others on here have pointed to him having his head turned. Not sure that is true, but he hasn't been at his best. I put the mockers on him by saying I felt confident when he has the ball at his feet. I knew that would come back to bite me.

Edited by Chez

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

He’s dropped off, but so had the whole team. 

Like today, the strikers were feeding off scraps, Broja has been feeding off scraps for weeks now, yet Twar calls him out continuously. 

Nothing said about Armstrong, who again today, looks way out of his depth. 

Nonsense, Armstrong had 45 mins with no possession. No way can you say he was out of his depth based on that.

• Like 3

Lets get it into perspective, Chelsea are a world class outfit, built on stolen Russian mafia money sure, but there it is. They played their best football today, and when the opposition are a collective shambles, large scores are the result. But, Chelsea haven't won by 6 or more in the PL for 10 years. The two 0-9's were a little unlucky because every goal attempt seemed to go in. Today 0-12 would not have flattered Chelsea, we were that poor (24 attempts, 14 on target, woodwork hit 3 times, as opposed to 4 attempts, 1 on target, a typical Adams fluff. Some are saying this was our worse performance for decades, maybe. These are many deficiencies in the squad in all areas, but there always will be with our budget. I do wish Ralph would at least play are full backs on their proper positions though, why the fuck does he persist with KWP at left back just to accommodate Livramento, it's jut bloody ridiculous, a sort of "managers son" bias in a sunday league boys team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

Lets get it into perspective, Chelsea are a world class outfit, built on stolen Russian mafia money sure, but there it is. They played their best football today, and when the opposition are a collective shambles, large scores are the result. But, Chelsea haven't won by 6 or more in the PL for 10 years. The two 0-9's were a little unlucky because every goal attempt seemed to go in. Today 0-12 would not have flattered Chelsea, we were that poor (24 attempts, 14 on target, woodwork hit 3 times, as opposed to 4 attempts, 1 on target, a typical Adams fluff. Some are saying this was our worse performance for decades, maybe. These are many deficiencies in the squad in all areas, but there always will be with our budget. I do wish Ralph would at least play are full backs on their proper positions though, why the fuck does he persist with KWP at left back just to accommodate Livramento, it's jut bloody ridiculous, a sort of "managers son" bias in a sunday league boys team.

Some are saying chelsea we’re lucky and we were unlucky as well 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Ralphs not perfect. His lack of ability to motivate the team is a big reason why we are sliding away from top half and towards lower mid table.

I just feel in a season where the most optimistic posters were thinking we'd get about 12th and the consensus was 17th-20th a season where we are comfortably safe by march and 1 point off 9th is pretty good tbh and people shouldn't piss the bed over a bad afternoon against the champions of europe.

This would be true if it was a one off..... It's not it happens time and time again 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

For much of the game, we sat with 2 in the middle of the park.  Against Kante and co.

Barking mad

100% this, ridiculous set up against the European champions. They played 3 at the back and 1 up front. So where did the rest play Ralph? 2 in midfield for us was never going to work.

Tuchel got his players to target Salisu and Armstrong. It meant every ball was played in a hurry and mistakes crept in. As a result JWP had nowhere to pass. 

Forster, Adams and KWP put in a shift. Valery was an improvement (says very little), the rest need a long hard look at themselves. 

Chelsea were good, very good, but that was to be expected. So were City but we harassed them into a draw. This reminded me of Liverpool away. Terrible tactics at the start and got a spanking. 2nd half they improved.

Ralph has to have a different playbook up his sleeve when other teams work you out.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

I agree with all of this. Five of their goals came through the hole that we had at right back. Livramento has great promise but not as a full back.

• Like 3

The reality is, this shit show doesn’t matter. As long as we are in the premier league making the TV money, then the people in charge at this football club couldn’t care less. Tv money has made a mockery of good management because the money is always there as long as you’re somewhere above relegation crap. 

This is where comparisons with being run like a business fails. We mugs always turn out regardless and as long as there is £100m plus from TV deals, the club can be noddy as fuck. 

• Like 3

Generally there are two ways team play away, everyone compact and hard to get through (Burnley, Newcastle, Watford and dare I say it Chelsea) and they look to hit you in the break. 
Or on the front foot, high line, possession football like Arsenal, Liverpool, City etc.

We are generally terrible against teams that play deeper and stifle midfield. Chelsea, despite their recent poor home form, have let in just 9 goals away from home all season. Yep, just 9.

I know that, I’m sure Ralph knows it. So you don’t set up with a weak 2 man midfield. That’s insane. You play deep, compact and try and hit them on the break. I’d have had Stephen’s in the back  alongside Salisu and Bednarek, at least he plays with his heart on his sleeve and gets stuck in unlike most of our ‘nice’ players (and I know he’s not gifted technically, but his effort is there).

Play deep, make it hard to play through, try and snatch a breakaway goal.

we did nothing like this. Ralph really has no answer to compact teams (especially a quality one).

Oh for us to have a horrible nasty dislikeable player like Alonso in our team.

We are too nice, too inflexible, too one dimensional with our tactics.

Getting beat by a good side, yes of course it happens. Making it easy with no backbone, fight, grit, determination or purpose is inexcusable.

• Like 8

That was on a par with The 9-0s, at least then they had an excuse of being a man down. Today was just gutless and shite.

The only reason it wasn’t 9 or more was because Chelsea stopped trying for the last half an hour. Was the first time I can remember seeing both teams time wasting at the end. Bunch of cunts for players.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Glad I didn't tune into that debacle. I'm amazed how many embarrassing big score drubbings we have received under Ralph's management but somehow he survives in his job. 

Yep, leave it to us to to flatter faltering top-half sides by forgetting how to play football.

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I will go with the latter, but at 60 minutes I was thinking we were going to beat our own home defeat and premier league record. I am glancing down the table. We need another win. Especially if Burnley beat us. 

No we dont

And just as the season ticket renewal comes around 😂

Pity they don't sell season tickets for the first half of the season only. Guess we can see why.

After today, I'm might try the ticket resale for next Saturday to see how it works.  

24 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

The only two positives I can find is that the owners have seen with their own eyes that a summer rebuild is needed - and it was sunny.

I can find another one. I couldn’t get a stream so didn’t get to see it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

It’s been known for a while it’s either feast or famine.

Right now we’re being starved. 

On that note, to change topic - I wonder if Ramadan is affecting Salisu? Is he fasting?

Of course it hasn’t impacted Benzema, Kante, Salah, Mane etc etc but not all professional athletes will be the same.

I wondered that too. He didn’t seem to be 100%. We went through a bad spell about this time last year.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/southampton-salisu-djenepo-diallo-struggled-ramadan/1hp1xkybbhqiz1nn2b6uat1jco

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macca155 said:

Ralph has to have a different playbook up his sleeve when other teams work you out.

It’s funny you say this because Ralph mentions flexibility a lot in his pressers and the need to change shapes/styles during the game to be unpredictable.

Of course what he is doing in training hasn’t translated onto the pitch recently. 

9 minutes ago, nta786 said:

It’s funny you say this because Ralph mentions flexibility a lot in his pressers and the need to change shapes/styles during the game to be unpredictable.

Of course what he is doing in training hasn’t translated onto the pitch recently. 

They do do that and it often works well. However Howe, Hodgson, Gerrard, and now Tuchel, have all worked out that we are often exposed in midfield when pressing. Romeo can cover when on his game, but he was struggling today. JWP is good but that isn't the best part of his game 

As a result Loftus Cheek was destroying us with ease.  They had so much room it was ridiculous.

Just horrible, forget it move on.

Who'se watching MOTD then 😲

As much as I like Ralph (mainly for his personality/passion) and would really love to see him to succeed with us.

Sadly, I'm now resigned to the fact that it's time for a change.

Tactically - he consistently gets it majorly wrong and in so many ways - it's gone on for too long now! 😞 

We've had CB defensive inadequacies for years - which has never been addressed - only got worse.  Jack Stephens as back up says it all.

New manager and MAJOR clear out needed

Offload - Adams, Redmond, Djneppo, Bednarek, Stephens, Forster, McCarthy, Long, Walcott    

• Like 2

We don’t have squad challenging for a first team opportunity.

Perraud was quality against West Ham in the cup and so was Yan Valery.

What happens next dropped?

Elyonessi shouldn’t be playing and neither should Romeu and Salisu.

Drop them to the bench and make them work harder in training to get your place back.

Forster also knows he can play shit as nobody putting pressure on him.

This is why the likes of Liverpool and City do well because if the players slack off they are dropped for someone else. Before anyone comes on here and says who’s going to replace the likes of Romeu in midfield? Well anyones gonna be better than that lame effort he put in today.

Edited by Pilchards

5 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Drop them to the bench and make them work harder in training to get your place back.

This is why the likes of Liverpool and City do well because if the players slack off they are dropped for someone else. Before anyone comes on here and says who’s going to replace the likes of Romeu in midfield? Well anyones gonna be better than the ‘I can’t be fucking arsed today Romeu.’

How exactly does he do that? Does he deliberately let in goals.

He was very good today. He saved us from a much worse tonking.

------------------------------

The drop off has been so fast, I'd suggest his head has been turned. Since that suspension, then the Villa game, he has been atrocious. It certainly feels like a mental problem. Hope I'm wrong, but I reckon he'll be gone this summer.  

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

How exactly does he do that? Does he deliberately let in goals.

He was very good today. He saved us from a much worse tonking.

Totally agree he did but fucking hell he was crap the other two games we played recently.

If I had another keeper knocking on the door for my place I would be in training everyday.  Same goes for the other first team players I mentioned. They don’t give a shit no more as they know they will be playing against Arsenal next week.

30 minutes ago, JohnS said:

As much as I like Ralph (mainly for his personality/passion) and would really love to see him to succeed with us.

Sadly, I'm now resigned to the fact that it's time for a change.

Tactically - he consistently gets it majorly wrong and in so many ways - it's gone on for too long now! 😞 

We've had CB defensive inadequacies for years - which has never been addressed - only got worse.  Jack Stephens as back up says it all.

New manager and MAJOR clear out needed

Offload - Adams, Redmond, Djneppo, Bednarek, Stephens, Forster, McCarthy, Long, Walcott    

You'd have thought the new owners would be aware of the scale of changes needed, hopefully manager change first so the replacement gets a say on dealings 

Will miss Ralph in a way but enough now 

5 hours ago, kyle04 said:

23rd Oct 2021 - Chelsea 7 Norwich 0 - but don't let the facts get in the way !! 

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

This is why the likes of Liverpool and City do well because if the players slack off they are dropped for someone else. Before anyone comes on here and says who’s going to replace the likes of Romeu in midfield? Well anyones gonna be better than that lame effort he put in today.

Arguable our 2 best players this season - jesus wept!!

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

------------------------------

The drop off has been so fast, I'd suggest his head has been turned. Since that suspension, then the Villa game, he has been atrocious. It certainly feels like a mental problem. Hope I'm wrong, but I reckon he'll be gone this summer.  

We won't be letting him go into the final 12 months of his contract so there's a good chance he's off in the summer. Personally, I think he's overrated. There's potential there but he still has a lot to learn. CB has been a weakness for us since Fonte/VVD and is something we have to get right in the summer.