Saints 0-6 Chelsea - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

In my book that's unexcusable. The minium I expect is to show fight and some passion. 

I'd rather a manager who overperforms and then tails off than one who doesn't overperform at all. We are the 13th or 14th best team in the league. I still rate us to finish above 12th considering fixture difficulty. It's a shame that if we kicked on we'd be nailed in 9th but we are a team that fought relegation regularly pre-Ralph and since he's come in we haven't been close, despite spending comparatively very little money. Ralph has flaws but on the balance of outcomes he's worth it. Even if it doesn't feel like it after a big defeat like today.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Half of Chelsea’s goals came from the ball dropping to them after good saves. Like I said, Saints were poor and Chelsea were good, and well worth the win, but we were unlucky to lose so heavily.

Fuck me, clearly we weren’t watching the same game 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

No it wasn't. Most lower league sides tend to throw everything at the opposition and make them work for their win. Our soft bastards just get into their ferrari's afterwards, piss off back to their mansions and life of luxury. No spirit, no fight, no need. As Alan Ball remarked about his Man City team , they're not bothered, "I'm talking to eleven millionaires here".

whenever we get tonked fans always point to a lack of care, fitness, bottle, fight, but usually its just playing utter shit. It was very hard to watch today. We just didnt get close to them, ever. They murdered us. All our frailties were exposed today. We simply ain't all that. 

• Like 2

This has to be the most dramatic turn round in form I can ever remember. There are no injuries, no bad luck .selections in the main have been pretty standard, despite the odd strange one. ( I know it wouldn’t have changed today, and he isn’t everbody’s favourite, but why is Redmond getting almost zero game time ? ) 

maybe we had the rub of the green from time to time  in that great run, but after the Watford performance today’s result is not really a huge surprise.

Other than internal issues, it is hard to see what else could be the problem .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MatthewStiles said:

Perraud started against Villa (4-0 loss) and Watford (2-1 loss) so his not playing is hardly an adequate explanation for our loss of form

Fair points, but our best performances this season have come with him playing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ralph can fuck right off for me.

Overrated manager.  I won’t be sad to see the back of him.

I've really tried hard not to jump on the Ralph out wagon, but performances like this make it hard not to do so. I like the guy, but I really question if he's tactics and game management are good enough.

The interview on Solent was just a piss take

• Like 3

It is the manner and scale of our  slumps  and big defeats that is inexcusable. It points to a serious problem with mentality superimposed upon our relative mediocrity technically. 

…our mediocre aggregate technical quality should not lead to such large and embarrassing defeats and shocking slumps after good runs. 

Ralph has to take responsibility for the mentality and motivation part of that equation. The question is why can’t he address this issue after at least 24 months of it being quite obvious ?

• Like 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I've really tried hard not to jump on the Ralph out wagon, but performances like this make it hard not to do so. I like the guy, but I really question if he's tactics and game management are good enough.

I'll need to hear the interview for myself, or at least read a proper transcript, before I can pass judgement on that. 

Today was inexcusable. No excuse for professional footballers “going on the beach” for months before the season’s over just because they can’t get relegated. Shit mentality and feels like we need a squad reset like Palace had last summer. It’s all getting a bit stale again. We’re used to losing, but it’s these losses where the team put in 0 effort and the opposition just run through us unchallenged that shouldn’t be accepted by anybody at the club, yet they seemingly are as they happen every season. I don’t get how a professional sportsman can accept taking in £50k+ a week to treat a match as though it’s a training session and I guess I never will, while the club charge £399 for season tickets and there’s no point in turning up for the last handful of home matches. 

I can’t wait for the five sub rule with Chelsea bringing on Pulisic, James and Ziyech today, while we used Valery, Diallo and Smallbone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

whenever we get tonked fans always point to a lack of care, fitness, bottle, fight, but usually its just playing utter shit. It was very hard to watch today. We just didnt get close to them, ever. They murdered us. All our frailties were exposed today. We simply ain't all that. 

Can't disagree with your conclusions. Doesn't excuse the apparent lack of effort though. 

25 minutes ago, TWar said:

Something has changed between February and March, I'm not sure what it is as we are basically the same team. A bunch of players who looked great (Salisu, Romeu, Stu, JWP, Adams) have been having off games and a few players who looked ok (Bednarek, Broja, Moi) have been very poor. I have to assume it's motivation. People are blaming dropping Perraud as it's the only thing thats changed but that doesn't explain the stark difference between Salisu, JWP, Romeu today and, for example, their performances against City and Spurs earlier in the year.

Good players don't become bad overnight, I think they just realised we don't have much to play for and aren't fighting as hard as teams avoiding the drop or going for europe.

You might be right but I tend to focus on confidence rather than motivation. 

I see you chose to put Adams in your first category and Broja in your second category. LOL. 

Edited by Chez

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Ralph - The only positive was that we didn't lose 9-0.

Just fuck the fuck off Ralph

Can you give me another 'positive' from today's performance he should have highlighted ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

his tactics have been questioned a lot.  His team selections have been questioned, perhaps more than any previous Saints manager (maybe that has a lot do with having a lot of similar standard players???)

what did he say in the interview?

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Can you give me another 'positive' from today's performance he should have highlighted ?

There is nothing he can say really other than throw himself and/or his payers under the bus.

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

You might be right but I tend to focus on confidence rather than motivation. 

I see you chose to put Adams in your first category and Broja in your second category. LOL. Which category is AA in?

AA isn't a regular starter, I see him as like Diallo or Redmond. Decent depth option.

And yeah, Adams is better than Broja. Adams has outscored and out assisted Broja in the league and hasn't had a massive drop off in form in the same way Broja had. He was up for prem player of the month in Feb while Broja has had one league goal contribution since mid january.

2 hours ago, Micky said:

Didn't even get to 10 minutes - will be interesting to see if we have a reaction of if we just capitulate.

I will go with the latter, but at 60 minutes I was thinking we were going to beat our own home defeat and premier league record. I am glancing down the table. We need another win. Especially if Burnley beat us. 

1 minute ago, TWar said:

AA isn't a regular starter, I see him as like Diallo or Redmond. Decent depth option.

And yeah, Adams is better than Broja. Adams has outscored and out assisted Broja in the league and hasn't had a massive drop off in form in the same way Broja had. He was up for prem player of the month in Feb while Broja has had one league goal contribution since mid january.

I am starting to think you have a problem with Broja. 😉 To deny that he, like Adams "looked great" earlier in the season suggests so. Did he fuck your wife or something?

Not that it matters, but AA, in your words, was completely anonymous today. Adams too, except when missing an absolute sitter.  Both needed to do better, but both suffered from lack of supply too - as has been the case with Broja when you have labelled him anonymous. 

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ralph saying that when a big team loses 2 in a row like that they will come out super-focussed and super aggressive however some people think it makes no difference.

When we lose two in a row we usually follow it up by losing two in a row.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I am starting to think you have a problem with Broja. 😉 To deny that he, like Adams "looked great" earlier in the season suggests so. Did he fuck your wife or something?

Not that it matters, but AA, in your words, was completely anonymous today. Adams too, except when missing an absolute sitter.  Both needed to do better, but both suffered from lack of supply too - as has been the case with Broja when you have labelled him anonymous. 

Broja did look good earlier in the season, but he certainly hasn't for some time now.

Armstrong, I think it's unfair to say he looked anonymous. He got 45 minutes in which time we had like 30% possession and conceded 4 goals. It's not really fair to compare that to Broja who was anonymous for four games straight against much easier opposition and much more possession.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He didn't have to say that though did he? He should have just said no, you can't take any positives from a performance like that. 

I agree. He said what many Saints fans were thinking, but strange that the manager would say it. In the end, all that matters is how we play next week. We need a performance and a result. 

42 minutes ago, John B said:

Sell JWP Redmond and Tino

Wheres redmond going, real Madrid? Who's gonna want him for the money he's on now. You can't just get rid of players. They have contracts. Livramento has been awful since coming back from injury.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Broja did look good earlier in the season, but he certainly hasn't for some time now.

So what you are saying is you made a mistake, you should have put Broja in your "looked great" category. No problem. 

Just now, Chez said:

So what you are saying is you made a mistake, you should have put Broja in your "looked great" category. No problem. 

I was referring to the massive drop in form between February and March, Broja didn't look great in February. The others I listed did. 

28 minutes ago, egg said:

Disgraceful. 

Taken totally out of context. He said nothing was good enough today and the only positive Is if you like is we didn’t concede 9 like we have in the past but that is not a positive. Said Chelsea were top class and we were not premier league level today. 

nothing wrong or incorrect with anything he said 

• Like 3

Trouble is we either look very very good or we look very very bad and there isn’t a lot in between the two extremes.

Whoever it was said Saints are a streaky team had it 100% right.

Today was pretty shameful with the exception of Walker Peters and Forster.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

Trouble is we either look very very good or we look very very bad and there isn’t a lot in between the two extremes.

Whoever it was said Saints are a streaky team had it 100% right.

Today was pretty shameful with the exception of Walker Peters and Forster.

It’s been known for a while it’s either feast or famine.

Right now we’re being starved. 

On that note, to change topic - I wonder if Ramadan is affecting Salisu? Is he fasting?

Of course it hasn’t impacted Benzema, Kante, Salah, Mane etc etc but not all professional athletes will be the same.

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

I was referring to the massive drop in form between February and March, Broja didn't look great in February. The others I listed did. 

In February we played 4 games.

Brentford 4-1, Broja scored and was very good.

Man United 1-1, MOTM.

Everton 2-0, Sky said in their report that Broja “impressed again”.

Norwich 2-0, I’d suggest he didn’t have a great game.

so, 3 out of 4 looking very good and part of an unbeaten team. I’m sorry, but your posts do seem to I dictate a bias towards Broja. Nobody is doubting he’s dropped off lately but I think you go out of your way to over egg it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

In February we played 4 games.

Brentford 4-1, Broja scored and was very good.

Man United 1-1, MOTM.

Everton 2-0, Sky said in their report that Broja “impressed again”.

Norwich 2-0, I’d suggest he didn’t have a great game.

so, 3 out of 4 looking very good and part of an unbeaten team. I’m sorry, but your posts do seem to I dictate a bias towards Broja. Nobody is doubting he’s dropped off lately but I think you go out of your way to over egg it.

He’s dropped off, but so had the whole team. 

Like today, the strikers were feeding off scraps, Broja has been feeding off scraps for weeks now, yet Twar calls him out continuously. 

Nothing said about Armstrong, who again today, looks way out of his depth. 

• Like 1