Romeo Lavia - Official: Signs for Not Liverpool

Saint Garrett

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Broja and Livramento weren't just promise, they were already good enough. Perhaps the club think Lavia, Bazunu and Bella-Kotchap are aswell.

I hope you’re right, and there’s nothing wrong with buying good young players.  I just think we should be buying more established and experienced players as well.

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

I hope you’re right, and there’s nothing wrong with buying good young players.  I just think we should be buying more established and experienced players as well.

Who would you recommend to the club? We have experience in the side just a lack of leadership - Salisu might step up in that respect now he has a year under his belt.

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Which established and experienced player would you want and do you think Saints could realistically buy ? 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Realistically, I don’t think we’ll buy anyone over 25.

I know where you are coming from, but without massive sales I don't think our budget can stretch to established players coming into or in the prime of their careers. I'm not just on about transfer fee's, but wages on top of it.

I'm fully accepting of our approach, even though it has a very high risk-high reward slant to it and I think we should just embrace it. A year ago we couldn't even dream of evolving the side like this, so even this feels incredibly refreshing.

I think the club have been incredibly scared from the experience of signing more 'established' players over the last few years (Lemina, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo, Boufal, Elyounoussi etc etc). They take on so much not just on transfer fee's but on wages and it then becomes tricky to do anything, in a financial sense what we are doing has less risk but in a football sense it arguably has a little more risk - but with risk comes reward so they say. It's not like we're signing young trash, these guys are rated across Europe as some of the best.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why do people have a fixation on age?  If you're good enough, you're old enough surely?  Verstappen was 18 when he won his first Grands Prix.

Absolutely, but he's only recently stopped being a child. He won't be first choice right away.

26 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Will believe this when announced by the club, but if it happens then its good news as he's clearly got potential in an area we need to strengthen.  I wonder if he would play alongside Romeu allowing JWP a more advanced role?

Only if it says he can in Ralph's play book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Does anyone know what actual type of midfielder he is as I can't find anything about him. Is he a creator, a ball winner, is he just an all rounder who can shift the ball along...?

So from what I have read (on Twitter!) he is more of a ‘ball winner’ that then shifts the ball along with a quick pass once he has picked it up. 

Bare in mind I hadn’t really heard of him before these links, despite a load of kids on social media wetting themselves over the prospect of signing him when I doubt they’d  heard of him either. Too much FM / FIFA scouting being done I reckon! 😂

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Does anyone know what actual type of midfielder he is as I can't find anything about him. Is he a creator, a ball winner, is he just an all rounder who can shift the ball along...?

He's more of a ball winning DM, tough tackling, powerful type. A decent passer but he's got the potential to be a Wanyama type (with better passing).

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's more of a ball winning DM, tough tackling, powerful type. A decent passer but he's got the potential to be a Wanyama type (with better passing).

That would be some player....

47 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Don't think he's likely to be anywhere near as big as Wanyama, he was an absolutely wall.

No, not in height..But he's got a decent physique which  makes him suited to that Wanyama type role. It'll be interesting to see how he develops into his 20's, as physically he will still change quite a bit I'd imagine. The raw attributes to work with are great.

7 hours ago, Saint-Reece said:

So from what I have read (on Twitter!) he is more of a ‘ball winner’ that then shifts the ball along with a quick pass once he has picked it up. 

Bare in mind I hadn’t really heard of him before these links, despite a load of kids on social media wetting themselves over the prospect of signing him when I doubt they’d  heard of him either. Too much FM / FIFA scouting being done I reckon! 😂

Just from the clips I've watched he seems well capable of picking and weighting a pass. Think there's more to him than putting himself about and getting his foot in.

On 29/06/2022 at 13:28, Convict Colony said:

ok am putting my song to use for him in here from transfer thread -  the first 3 bit lisa maffa sings- just re-word.

Should be relatively easy to adjust these lyrics..

You keep on giving me the hold up, hold up
Used to be my Romeu (Whoa-oh, yeah)
Used to be my Romeu (Whoa-oh, yeah)
Let it all go (Whoa-oh, yeah)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

As much as people have worried about this, hasn't he still NEVER been sent off in his career?

Yeah, he's very disciplined. But it still means he can't draw a tactical foul for the remainder of the game. 

Spoke to a City supporting friend this afternoon. He regularly watches the youth teams. When I asked about Lavia his response was this...

I'm so pissed off we're letting him go. I'd have rather seen him playing than Kalvin Phillips. He's the real deal. He's the player that Fernandinho was 5 years ago. If he comes to your place he has to be in your starting 11. He's got skill and pace. He reads the game unbelievably well for such a young player. His passing and defensive qualities are incredible. 

I asked what the word was about him coming to Saints and he said that all the papers are saying that it's a done deal, although there now seems to be some interest from a couple of German clubs. 

He then went on to talk about McAtee and Delap. He said Delap is a bit heavy but he felt he'd do well by coming to us as he'll never get a chance at City. 

His final words were, if you sign Lavia, Delap and McAtee then I might be tempted to start coming to watch Saints. 

• Like 7

The way The Athletic reported it was a bit like with Bazunu, all agreed but probably hasnt done the formalities, medical and actually signed.

Anyone know if he had Belgium games and therefore quite possibly still on holiday?

Hopefully it gets officially done soon.

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The way The Athletic reported it was a bit like with Bazunu, all agreed but probably hasnt done the formalities, medical and actually signed.

Anyone know if he had Belgium games and therefore quite possibly still on holiday?

Looks to not be with the city team yet, doing some form of training though (in city gear) 

https://instagram.com/stories/lavizzy6/2872067980694385330?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

34 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Check SaintQ

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romeo Lavia - Official: Signs for Not Liverpool