Well, it definitely won't be Suella Braverman and the rebirth of the Conservative Party

CB Fry

Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote

• Sunak
    • Mordaunt
    • Truss
    • Badenoch
    • Tugendhat
    • Braverman

36 minutes ago, edprice1984 said:

I think this shows more than anything else the resilience and patience of the British public (and Civil service, who are almost entirely running the country while this farce plays out). There would be plenty of countries where we would see people on the streets by now. 

I think this does prove we need to put something into law which means when a governing party change their leader (ie. the PM) a General Election must be called once a new leader is in place. 

As it stands I can see this being the end of the Conservative Party as we know it. They will get obliterated at the next election and the rump of the right (ERG/Brexiteers) will either flounce off to join Reform/UKIP or whatever Farage's latest party is, the Centrists may stay as 'Conservatives' but could equally look to join the Lib Dems and they would then once again fight it out against Labour. The ironic thing being that Labour activists who have been called for PR for years will likely suddenly find they have changed their minds once they realise that would mean giving power/seats to the Right/Far right in this country whereas retaining FPTP would likely leave them in the electoral wilderness.

In my view, there is no-one left in the current Conservative Party with the broad appeal, political nous or moral backbone to recover this. Some have suggested Boris could return, but he is simply too damaged in the eyes of the general public. Especially after going absent without leave in the dog days of his premiership. At this point he probably realises that he could make significantly more money, carping from the sidelines with little to no consequence. 

We need a GE desperately - whether we get one is unfortunately down to Conservative back benchers growing a spine.

I agree with the thrust of your argument.  There is a possibility of a Tory implosion and the party splitting.  I do not think the LDs will welcome many if any of the current crop of cowardly backbenchers who have been complicit in facilitating this shit show.  The ERG types will claim the party as theirs the centre right one nation mob will claim its as theirs, could end up in court!  No matter how much I despise the Tories and their ideology there is a need for a centre right party if only to remind us how self serving a section of our society is.  The long standing Tory supporters on here have stopped defending them, claiming they are not true Tories, the problem is they can’t agree amongst themselves what constitutes a true Tory.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Saint or skate - now let me think which one gets my vote ……….. neither cos they’re both Tory cunts.

might as well give a POC a go, the last two women have been dreadful. The rate they're going through them If they can get a LGBT and a disabled one in by the time of the next general election they'd have ticked every box.

Edited by Turkish

A general election is the only way forward. Sadly the entitled Tory party and their sycophantic supporters will continue to act in their own best interests.  They have no patriotism, no dignity and no honour.  Starting with the Brexit referendum, purely called because Cameron was a coward and could not manage his own party we have seen this pathetic excuse for a political party dive to ever lower depths to maintain their grip on power, and all at the expense of our country and our people.  They must go, and go now.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, moonraker said:

A general election is the only way forward. Sadly the entitled Tory party and their sycophantic supporters will continue to act in their own best interests.  They have no patriotism, no dignity and no honour.  Starting with the Brexit referendum, purely called because Cameron was a coward and could not manage his own party we have seen this pathetic excuse for a political party dive to ever lower depths to maintain their grip on power, and all at the expense of our country and our people.  They must go, and go now.

Absolutely. Everyone can see that a GE is the only option from here.

Id hope that any new ‘prime minster’ does this as their first job, call a General election and let the country decide. They can’t seem to make the right decisions themselves and have lost any authority to govern in my eyes.

• Like 5

Whoever is stupid enough to become the leader of this pathetic party will be signing up for failure.  Who in their right mind would want to lead them, not just as PM but at a General Election.  Whoever does accept the post either accepts that they are a sacrificial lamb, or they are just another arrogant narcissistic twat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely. Everyone can see that a GE is the only option from here.

Id hope that any new ‘prime minster’ does this as their first job, call a General election and let the country decide. They can’t seem to make the right decisions themselves and have lost any authority to govern in my eyes.

I agree....but turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Whoever is stupid enough to become the leader of this pathetic party will be signing up for failure.  Who in their right mind would want to lead them, not just as PM but at a General Election.  Whoever does accept the post either accepts that they are a sacrificial lamb, or they are just another arrogant narcissistic twat.

And that in itself is the problem- just rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

Graham Brady just talking . It seems that the members will get a say in the new leader.

FFS. What dud will they vote in this time? Haven't they realised that the blue rinse brigade are as good at choosing winners as a one legged man has winning an arse kicking competition. 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 3

She looks relieved frankly. Brady bricking it with the journalists, journalists insisting on a GE. So do I. I won’t recognise whoever they select unless there is a GE as being permitted for them to be chosen by the electorate to govern me. If Sunak or Mordaunt are confident, go to the country. It’ll be Sunak but Boris’s and Truss’s followers will make much trouble for him. Whatever they do, millions face higher mortgage payments and families will end up homeless and without lighting and heating because of the crazed actions of the Conservative Party. They can stick their fake unity up their arses, and if they want respect, call a GE now and stay away from power for many, many years. 

As an example, Peterborough MP insisting on Boris returning, Red Wall MP saying Sunak. Brady saying membership part of process! Brexit was supposed to be partly about not being governed by unelected politicians! Boris still has to face a Standards Committee too.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Graham Brady just talking . It seems that the members will get a say in the new leader.

FFS. What dud will they vote in this time? Haven't they realised that the blue rinse brigade are as good at choosing winners as a one legged man has winning an arse kicking competition. 

Johnson.